News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Longest distance between interstate junctions

Started by wriddle082, June 13, 2020, 11:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: michravera on June 14, 2020, 07:03:52 PM
I was certainly TRYING to sleep some of the way from El Paso to San Antonio, but it is possible that we weren't on I-10 the whole way. I was trying to be very much awake between Phoenix and El Paso (daytime leg) because I had never been in New Mexico before. I was expecting Wily Coyote and Roadrunner and some unusual rock formations to show up. Nothing like that on I-10. On I-10 Eastern Arizona, New Mexico, and West Texas all pretty much look the same. If any of that exists, it's not on I-10.

The Roadrunner landscape is by and large north of I-10. It's more or less the orange area on this map.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kphoger

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 14, 2020, 11:40:05 AM

Quote from: michravera on June 14, 2020, 04:23:02 AM

Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on June 13, 2020, 11:34:39 PM

Quote from: wriddle082 on June 13, 2020, 11:29:07 PM
Wondering what the longest distance is along an interstate between junctions of other interstates.  I'm thinking it's either I-5 between I-505 at Dunnigan, CA and I-105 in Eugene, OR, or I-90 between I-82 in Ellensburg, WA and I-15 in Butte, MT.  Anything out there longer than either of those?

I-80 between I-580 in Reno and I-215 in SLC is 512 miles, longer than both of them.

Does I-10 hit anything besides I-19? I took the bus from LA to Austin (via San Antonio) and don't remember actually seeing a junction with I-8, I-17, I-20, or I-25. It looks like the route of I-10 must get close to all of these, but I certainly missed all of the I-junctions. It's a long way from Tuscon to Las Cruces and event further Van Horn and Fort Stockton.

It intersects I-17, I-8, I-19, I-25, and I-20, in order from west to east.

I was certainly TRYING to sleep some of the way from El Paso to San Antonio, but it is possible that we weren't on I-10 the whole way. I was trying to be very much awake between Phoenix and El Paso (daytime leg) because I had never been in New Mexico before. I was expecting Wily Coyote and Roadrunner and some unusual rock formations to show up. Nothing like that on I-10. On I-10 Eastern Arizona, New Mexico, and West Texas all pretty much look the same. If any of that exists, it's not on I-10.

As far as I'm aware, all Greyhound buses between LA and El Paso take I-10 the whole way.  All five pre-COVID schedules between LA and El Paso had stops in at least Blythe/Quartzsite, Phoenix, and Lordsburg.

While your bus likely did not pass through the eastern I-17 junction after leaving Phoenix (using 24th Street instead), it certainly passed through the western one on the way into town.  In fact, it's quite likely your bus even used that interchange to access the Phoenix station by way of I-17 rather than using I-10 all the way.

The 8:25 AM departure from LA (schedule 1418) has a stop at the Love's immediately east of the I-8 junction, but I see no reason the bus would have cut the corner and avoided the junction.  Possible but unlikely.

The 2:45 AM departure from LA (schedule 1444) would have used the I-25 junction in order to get from the Las Cruces bus station back onto I-10.  All other schedules would have skipped Las Cruces and passed directly through the I-25 interchange to stay on I-10.

As for the El Paso—San Antonio leg, both pre-COVID schedules had stops in Van Horn and Fort Stockton, so your bus certainly passed through the I-20 junction.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Konza

You must have slept through the Texas Canyon area between Benson and Willcox, which, in my opinion is the most interesting scenery along I-10 in Arizona.

The most memorable things about I-10 west of Las Cruces are the various series of signs that tell you what to do in the event of a dust storm.
Main Line Interstates clinched:  2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 37, 39, 43, 44, 45, 55, 57, 59, 65, 68, 71, 72, 74 (IA-IL-IN-OH), 76 (OH-PA-NJ), 78, 80, 82, 86 (ID), 88 (IL)

michravera

Quote from: kphoger on June 15, 2020, 11:49:41 AM

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 14, 2020, 11:40:05 AM

Quote from: michravera on June 14, 2020, 04:23:02 AM

Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on June 13, 2020, 11:34:39 PM

Quote from: wriddle082 on June 13, 2020, 11:29:07 PM
Wondering what the longest distance is along an interstate between junctions of other interstates.  I'm thinking it's either I-5 between I-505 at Dunnigan, CA and I-105 in Eugene, OR, or I-90 between I-82 in Ellensburg, WA and I-15 in Butte, MT.  Anything out there longer than either of those?

I-80 between I-580 in Reno and I-215 in SLC is 512 miles, longer than both of them.

Does I-10 hit anything besides I-19? I took the bus from LA to Austin (via San Antonio) and don't remember actually seeing a junction with I-8, I-17, I-20, or I-25. It looks like the route of I-10 must get close to all of these, but I certainly missed all of the I-junctions. It's a long way from Tuscon to Las Cruces and event further Van Horn and Fort Stockton.

It intersects I-17, I-8, I-19, I-25, and I-20, in order from west to east.

As far as I'm aware, all Greyhound buses between LA and El Paso take I-10 the whole way.  All five pre-COVID schedules between LA and El Paso had stops in at least Blythe/Quartzsite, Phoenix, and Lordsburg.

While your bus likely did not pass through the eastern I-17 junction after leaving Phoenix (using 24th Street instead), it certainly passed through the western one on the way into town.  In fact, it's quite likely your bus even used that interchange to access the Phoenix station by way of I-17 rather than using I-10 all the way.

The 8:25 AM departure from LA (schedule 1418) has a stop at the Love's immediately east of the I-8 junction, but I see no reason the bus would have cut the corner and avoided the junction.  Possible but unlikely.

The 2:45 AM departure from LA (schedule 1444) would have used the I-25 junction in order to get from the Las Cruces bus station back onto I-10.  All other schedules would have skipped Las Cruces and passed directly through the I-25 interchange to stay on I-10.

As for the El Paso—San Antonio leg, both pre-COVID schedules had stops in Van Horn and Fort Stockton, so your bus certainly passed through the I-20 junction.

The LA-Phoenix leg was the second section of a bus that was supposed to have left in the first few minutes of the new day (and actually left about 1:00). So, most of that trip was in darkness. I had seen I-10 from CASR/I-210 to Phoenix before, so nothing lost traveling in the dark. Our only stop was for a "real restroom/smoke/grab a burrito" break.

kphoger

Quote from: michravera on June 15, 2020, 08:23:47 PM
The LA-Phoenix leg was the second section of a bus that was supposed to have left in the first few minutes of the new day (and actually left about 1:00). So, most of that trip was in darkness. I had seen I-10 from CASR/I-210 to Phoenix before, so nothing lost traveling in the dark. Our only stop was for a "real restroom/smoke/grab a burrito" break.

I can only see timetables back as far as June 2017, but the only overnight LA-Phoenix schedule leaves LA at 11:00 PM, and stops only at the Pilot truck stop in Quartzsite.  That schedule continues on to San Antonio, stopping at Mesa, Lordsburg, Deming, Las Cruces, El Paso, Van Horn, Fort Stockton, Junction, and Kerrville–arriving in San Antonio just after 6:00 AM.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.