News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Most Common Out-Of-State License Plates In Your Area That DON'T Border Your Stat

Started by thenetwork, June 25, 2020, 10:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TEG24601

Lets see, on my little corner of Washington...

* Hawaii (Thanks to two Navy bases in close proximity)
* California (Go home)
* Texas (Navy again, but none of these have any idea how to drive)
* Florida (I assume Navy)
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on June 26, 2020, 11:30:12 AM
Maine and Indiana are both common on trucks.

You got it.

Maine is fairly common on trailers too, for some reason.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

debragga

Up here in NE LA I see a lot of Alabama plates. Florida is probably second.

kphoger

What amazes me in Wichita is how many more Alaska plates I see than, say, Rhode Island or South Carolina or other closer states with higher populations.  I also see a lot more Washington plates than either Oregon or Idaho.  In both cases, I suspect that having both an Air Force base and a Boeing plant has something to do with it.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on June 26, 2020, 11:57:10 AM

You got it.

Hmm. I have noticed that Indiana is common on trucks, but never noticed Maine.

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on June 26, 2020, 12:24:08 PM
Quote from: kphoger on June 26, 2020, 11:57:10 AM

You got it.

Hmm. I have noticed that Indiana is common on trucks, but never noticed Maine.

Around here, Maine is common enough for other vehicles that you mostly notice Indiana for trucks.

In Maine, you can get a license plate with a lobster on it. I call them lobster plates, which are yummy.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

hotdogPi

Just realized there's a better answer for my area, although it's a smart alec answer: States don't border themselves, so a MA plate in NH is much more common than any traditional answer. NH is close enough to still be in my area.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

frankenroad

Here in Ohio, it's probably Florida, with Tennesse, Illinois, and New York as runners-up.  We also see a lot of Ontario plates, which technically borders Ohio (in Lake Erie) but there is no direct road connection.

In my corner of Ohio (SW), Tennessee is probably second, but in NE Ohio, I suspect it's NY.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Eth

I'd say the top three are, in some order, Ohio, Virginia, and Maryland. The second tier is then Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, and Texas.

ilpt4u

Only partially serious...

Arizona. Because of U-Haul.

In the Southern Illinois portion of the state I'd say for sure Tennessee. Statewide, not sure

SP Cook

WV:

I-64, west of Charleston:  IL, followed by IN and MO, as these are the states 64 serves.
I-64, east of Beckley: Random, probably NC. 
I-77, north of Charleston: NC, mostly diaspora.
I-77, south of Charleston:  NC, SC.   South of Beckley, ON and NY.
I-79:  ON, followed by NY, as this is part of the Toronto-Buffalo-Pittsburgh - Myrtle Beach/Florida route.

EpicRoadways

In central and southern Minnesota it's definitely Illinois. As you get further north and east Michigan plates are pretty common as well (assuming that MI counts since technically MI and MN share a water border). I'm thinking that western Minnesota probably sees quite a few Nebraska/Kansas plates but I'm very rarely in that part of the state so I can't verify.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: EpicRoadways on June 26, 2020, 02:07:04 PM
In central and southern Minnesota it's definitely Illinois. As you get further north and east Michigan plates are pretty common as well (assuming that MI counts since technically MI and MN share a water border). I'm thinking that western Minnesota probably sees quite a few Nebraska/Kansas plates but I'm very rarely in that part of the state so I can't verify.

I was having trouble coming up with an answer because I really don't see anything in the metro that isn't WI or less frequently ND.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on June 26, 2020, 03:43:50 PM
I was having trouble coming up with an answer because I really don't see anything in the metro that isn't WI or less frequently ND.

Even Illinois on 494/694 ?
Male pronouns, please.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: kphoger on June 26, 2020, 04:26:05 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on June 26, 2020, 03:43:50 PM

Even Illinois on 494/694 ?

I mean I'm sure it's Illinois, but I never notice Illinois plates.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Sctvhound

In Charleston, SC:

OH, KY, WV, TN are the most common. A lot of east TN plates as I-26 goes directly from Johnson City, TN to Charleston. Lots of Kentucky too as the Charleston area is one of the closest beaches to a lot of the eastern part of the state, along with Ohio.

Road Hog

For some reason, Kansas is a big player in DFW. They punch above their weight class for sure.

interstate73

In my home area of North Jersey probably a 3-way tie between Connecticut, Maryland, and Massachusetts, with Florida not too far behind. Where I am now in Ithaca, NY it's harder to say, there's such an assortment of out-of-state plates because of the big student population (for example I still have my Jersey plates even though I live here pretty much full time. Might be registering locally soon tho, if I do I'm gonna try to wait for the local DMV to start distributing the new Excelsior plates!) If I had to choose I'd prob say Ohio, Maryland, and Florida are up there. In both places however a lot of the Florida plates may very well be locals registering at relatives' houses in Florida to save on insurance, registration, and inspection.
🎶 Man, there’s an opera on the Turnpike 🎶

Morris County if the Route 178 Freeway had been built:

hbelkins

In my part of Kentucky, it's Michigan. The combination of I-75 and lots of current Michiganders coming back to their or their parents' or grandparents' homeplace means we see a lot of Michigan vehicles. Honorable mention to North Carolina.

In my county, because it's known for rock-climbing and rappelling, we see a whole lot of vehicles from New England/northeastern states. I'm surprised at the number of New York and Vermont vehicles pass through here.

On the I-24 corridor, I've seen mostly Kansas plates from non-neighbors.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 25, 2020, 11:30:16 PM
It can vary slightly, but in my area of NJ, Virginia & North Carolina seem to be relatively common. Maryland, while less than 15 minutes away, may not even be in the top 5.

Lots of MD plates throughout Central Jersey, Florida I see a lot of on my commutes and bike rides. Hell, on Thursday when I took a lunch break during my first week back in my office, I saw two Floridians parking very haphazardly in a parking lot (that I designed  :paranoid:). Texas plates seem to be a little more than rare, but I think that might be related to temporary rental cars.

However, if I travel on the roads surrounding JB MDL, I do tend to see a lot more variety in the states.

7/8

For my part of Ontario, my guesses would be:
1) Alberta - Lots of people have moved out west since the economy used to be really strong. They're probably a mix of people moving back to Ontario and people visiting family here
2) Florida - Probably from snowbirds
3) Illinois - Large population not too far from the border

planxtymcgillicuddy

Florida, Maryland or New York. Lots of weekenders and vacationers this time of year.
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

webny99

Quote from: 7/8 on June 26, 2020, 09:03:52 PM
For my part of Ontario, my guesses would be:
1) Alberta - Lots of people have moved out west since the economy used to be really strong. They're probably a mix of people moving back to Ontario and people visiting family here
2) Florida - Probably from snowbirds
3) Illinois - Large population not too far from the border

What about PA and Ohio, are you considering them to "border" Ontario?

Roadwarriors79

In Arizona, the most common plates I have seen have been Texas, Oregon, and Washington.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.