News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Highway Engineering

Started by bwana39, July 03, 2020, 01:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwana39

I just looked at the rfp for engineering on a 15 mile stretch of interstate highway.  Roughly 50% is greenfield. Half if is upgrade existing ROW. The engineering services for said work (with an aproximate 15 year timeline) has a cap at 145,000,000.

THat is almost a million dollars a mile The entirity of it is either rural or the part that isn't rural is MOSTLy within a ROW that was bought and developed over a decade ago. A two-lane bypass was paved  over that part,

I gues the question is a million dollars a mile excessive? What about the staff engineers at the DOT?
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Big John

First, that is almost $10 million a mile.

The cost of roadway materials have zoomed up in the last few years.  Since it is an Interstate highway, there will be bridges and likely interchanges.  Each bridge will cost a pretty penny to build.  It is common to have 15% of the cost be in engineering.

bwana39

I am hoping that I don't understand the RFQ.  I am wondering if the cap is for all of the expense and the engineering is just a portion of the total.

That is not what I feel that I read, but technical terms may have a less generic definition and style than I think I see.  I agree my math was dismal. I completely blew this decimal point.

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

jeffandnicole

Do you have a link to the RFQ or RFP? That appears to be more like estimated construction costs, not the cost of engineering services.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.