News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Old songs you can't identify

Started by bandit957, November 04, 2019, 10:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

Shake it up- The Cars but thats now forgotten in the past decade.

bing101

Quote from: roadman65 on November 04, 2019, 11:10:17 PM
There is one that sounds similar to Sunday Morning by Maroon 5 that was in the late 60's or early 70's.  In fact I thought that Sunday Morning was a cover of it, but it's not.  Its just similar to it, but sounds like it IMO.

https://www.whosampled.com/sample/753065/Desanctus-Asa-Maroon-5-Sunday-Morning/

https://www.whosampled.com/Maroon-5/Sunday-Morning/

Here is a directory on what was sampled.

kurumi

As a wee lad, I heard a kind of spacey, uptempo song on an oldies station and had no idea what it was for a long time.

Much later (on the net) I heard this, which seemed close, but a much slower version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DDEl7JnWvo&list=PLCFC37B95C9159ACC&index=4

I went through Jean Michel Jarre's other music, but didn't find what I was looking for.

Even later than that, I stumbled across the answer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS3_SgILyy8

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

D-Dey65

Quote from: bandit957 on November 04, 2019, 10:56:29 PM
Remember any old songs on the radio that you can't identify now?
I know of plenty from college radio stations like WUSB that I still can't find after 25-35 years.

Finrod

I also remember a Styx-like song where the first line is something about "the 21st century", but I can't identify it either.

I can't think of a Styx song that matches that, but there is a Styx song named Borrowed Time off the Cornerstone album from 1979 where the first line is Dennis DeYoung saying "Don't look now, but here come the 80s!"
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Finrod on March 16, 2021, 06:11:25 AM
I also remember a Styx-like song where the first line is something about "the 21st century", but I can't identify it either.

I can't think of a Styx song that matches that, but there is a Styx song named Borrowed Time off the Cornerstone album from 1979 where the first line is Dennis DeYoung saying "Don't look now, but here come the 80s!"
I think he means "20th Century Man"  by The Kinks. There's the studio version (the album it was on isn't that bad, but could've done better), which turns 50(!) this year, and the live version from a little over 40 years ago (1980's One For The Road, a great live album for the ages). I mean, doesn't "(Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman"  (off of 1979's Low Budget, a great studio album for the ages, that made The Kinks put out the aforementioned live album the following year) sound like something ZZ Top would do in the 80s ("Sharp Dressed Man" , off of 1983's Eliminator)?

bandit957

Quote from: kevinb1994 on March 16, 2021, 07:38:32 AM
I think he means "20th Century Man"  by The Kinks. There's the studio version (the album it was on isn't that bad, but could've done better), which turns 50(!) this year, and the live version from a little over 40 years ago (1980's One For The Road, a great live album for the ages). I mean, doesn't "(Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman"  (off of 1979's Low Budget, a great studio album for the ages, that made The Kinks put out the aforementioned live album the following year) sound like something ZZ Top would do in the 80s ("Sharp Dressed Man" , off of 1983's Eliminator)?

I'm sure it wasn't the Kinks.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

kevinb1994

Quote from: bandit957 on March 16, 2021, 08:56:52 AM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on March 16, 2021, 07:38:32 AM

I'm sure it wasn't the Kinks.
Then it may be T. Rex's "20th Century Boy" .

bandit957

Old commercial jingles too. I remember in the late '70s there was a radio commercial for the Cincinnati Enquirer that sounded like something from 'Grease'. There was a commercial jingle for the sport of basketball that went, "Ppppphhh! Basketbaaallll!" Why would a sport need a radio commercial?

kurumi

Could the aforementioned 21st Century Man be described as... schizoid? (bonus triple drumset live show)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3028oDEKZo4
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

kevinb1994

Quote from: kurumi on March 16, 2021, 01:13:20 PM
Could the aforementioned 21st Century Man be described as... schizoid? (bonus triple drumset live show)

Ooh, I'm gonna say that I lost this in the back of my head. It mashes up well with "In Bloom"  by Nirvana. Both bands really knew (in Nirvana's case)/know (I mean, Fripp's still around) their stuff. Too bad some key members of both bands are dead. I mean we got bands like ELP and Foreigner.

D-Dey65

Did any of you know that for roughly 20 years I struggled to find a song which I never knew was called "Soup is Good Food," by The Dead Kennedys?

For nearly 40 years, I've been trying to find a new wave song called "Look Me In the Eye." I have no idea who sang the song, but it was a failed nominee for Screamer of the Week on WLIR.

I've got a list of wanted songs in an envelope, which includes these and other songs I'm still trying to find.

bandit957

Here's another old song: "Vitamin ceeeee!" (in a frustrated, drawn-out tone)

It was around 1981. It might have been somebody like Rupert Holmes.

Steve.S

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 14, 2021, 04:21:10 PM
One that keeps bugging me is this song with a very loud computerized wah-wah-esque intro. I hear it fairly frequently at sporting events.
Maybe Kernkraft 400 by Zombie Nation?

https://youtu.be/L8tb7ffIsyg
Semper ubi sub ubi.

bandit957

Quote from: bandit957 on March 20, 2021, 12:40:41 AM
Here's another old song: "Vitamin ceeeee!" (in a frustrated, drawn-out tone)

It was around 1981. It might have been somebody like Rupert Holmes.

Now that I think about it, it may have been a song on Dr. Hook's greatest hits album.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: bandit957 on March 14, 2021, 04:22:56 PM
One that keeps bugging me is this song with a very loud computerized wah-wah-esque intro. I hear it fairly frequently at sporting events.

Probably "Rock & Roll (Part 2)" by Gary Glitter. It was a big hit in the 1970s.

i always thought that was just a denver thing...

as an interesting aside... 'the timelords' aka 'klf' remixed it, with some doctor who music, made a cool song of it. i'd post a link but it took 10 minutes just to load THIS page... look up 'doctorin the tardis'
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

bwana39

Quote from: bandit957 on November 05, 2019, 02:12:50 PM
Quote from: kphoger on November 05, 2019, 02:10:23 PM

Are you sure you weren't simply mistaken and that it's not actually "Edge of the Century"?

This was 1978 or 1979. I'm pretty sure Q-102 in Cincinnati regularly played it.

Probably 21st Century Schizoid Man. Most likely April Wine as opposed to King Crimson.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4W7TVaFc6c
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

kevinb1994

Quote from: bwana39 on March 20, 2021, 09:29:48 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on November 05, 2019, 02:12:50 PM
Quote from: kphoger on November 05, 2019, 02:10:23 PM

Are you sure you weren't simply mistaken and that it's not actually "Edge of the Century"?

This was 1978 or 1979. I'm pretty sure Q-102 in Cincinnati regularly played it.

Probably 21st Century Schizoid Man. Most likely April Wine as opposed to King Crimson.

Oooh, I forgot about those guys. I remember their classic "I Like To Rock" .

bwana39

Quote from: kevinb1994 on March 20, 2021, 09:44:01 PM

Oooh, I forgot about those guys. I remember their classic “I Like To Rock”.

My favorite was Sign of the Gypsy Queen..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83hcnq4PRvc
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

capt.ron

A recurring jazzy sounding tune that I heard back in the day was found in a bunch of educational shorts produced in the mid 1970's up to the early 1980's. It was a rather jazzy piece with a swing beat. Key of D major, had a flute which was the lead instrument. It had piano and drums too. I heard the musical piece numerous times and by the early 1980's it has dropped off into obscurity. Its closest counterpart would be "Welcome back" by John Sebastian. No, it wasn't Welcome Back but it sounded very similar.

bandit957

Quote from: capt.ron on April 04, 2021, 01:43:13 PM
A recurring jazzy sounding tune that I heard back in the day was found in a bunch of educational shorts produced in the mid 1970's up to the early 1980's. It was a rather jazzy piece with a swing beat. Key of D major, had a flute which was the lead instrument. It had piano and drums too. I heard the musical piece numerous times and by the early 1980's it has dropped off into obscurity. Its closest counterpart would be "Welcome back" by John Sebastian. No, it wasn't Welcome Back but it sounded very similar.

I think I remember it. It sounded a little bit like the 'Sesame Street' theme.

D-Dey65

Here's one I've been trying to find for a while. About 12 or 13 years ago, there was music video posted by some barely existing band with some anti-emo song. I don't remember the lyrics other than the fact it was the usual criticism of the emo scene, and the chorus sounded like "Crocodile Rock," by Elton John. By the third run of the chorus they started fake crying to their Elton John imitation, hoses and sprinklers were spreading water everywhere and after this the lead signer was quietly saying "I get so emotional," and took his glasses off as a thunderstorm was in the background.

roadman65

Who sings the song with the Bah bah bop bah bop, bah papa bah papa.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

Quote from: roadman65 on April 27, 2021, 12:28:34 AM
Who sings the song with the Bah bah bop bah bop, bah papa bah papa.
You're not talking about "Big in Japan," by Tom Waits, are you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVdfDoXHdZc

Road Hog

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on March 20, 2021, 09:02:10 AM
Quote from: bandit957 on March 14, 2021, 04:22:56 PM

Probably "Rock & Roll (Part 2)" by Gary Glitter. It was a big hit in the 1970s.

i always thought that was just a denver thing...

as an interesting aside... 'the timelords' aka 'klf' remixed it, with some doctor who music, made a cool song of it. i'd post a link but it took 10 minutes just to load THIS page... look up 'doctorin the tardis'
The absolute LAST place I expected a post about The Timelords / KLF / Justified Ancients of Mu Mu was on a road board.

The song you mention was the stuff in late 1988 / early 1989. You're right, they took the Gary Glitter beat and mixed in a couple of licks from The Sweet's "Blockbuster" as well as the Doctor Who theme. Those lads were right odd ducks.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.