News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Name a favorite youtube channel...

Started by berberry, February 15, 2020, 11:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

berberry

and please point out whether there are any specific videos related to roadgeek interests. I saw the thread in 'Urban Planning' about the 'City Beautiful' channel, and that's been one of my favorites for a long time. Another one I love is 'The History Guy', a channel hosted by the best story-teller on the damn planet! Some of his videos would definitely interest roadgeeks, I think, like this one about the history of highway lane markings:

He also has videos on topics like the infamous 1955 Le Mans disaster, and the 1908 "Great Race", the famous road race from New York (west-bound) to Paris.

Another favorite channel that some folks might like is 'Technology Connections', where you can find videos about urban street-lighting and automobile lighting.

Max Rockatansky

Interstate Kyle is probably the most road oriented channel I watch regularly.  He features mostly scenic highways which tend to draw my interest more than freeways.  Freewayjim and Asphalt Planet have some quality channels but are more oriented towards limited access roads. 

Some of the others I'm frequently right now:

-  Regular Car Reviews
-  Donut Media
-  MotorWeek
-  Biographics
-  Geographics
-  Business Blaze
-  Channel Awesome
-  Cinnemassacre

berberry

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 15, 2020, 12:14:57 PM
Interstate Kyle is probably the most road oriented channel I watch regularly.  He features mostly scenic highways which tend to draw my interest more than freeways.  Freewayjim and Asphalt Planet have some quality channels but are more oriented towards limited access roads. 

-  Regular Car Reviews
-  Donut Media
-  MotorWeek
-  Biographics
-  Geographics
-  Business Blaze
-  Channel Awesome
-  Cinnemassacre

Yeah, I've seen FreewayJim's channel. His and others like it are especially useful for researching large cities you've never visited but intend to visit. You can make yourself familiar with the freeway system before you get caught up in it.

CNGL-Leudimin

BigRigTravels. The travels of a truck as live as it can get, except in areas with poor cellphone coverage. This is how I discovered the craIG county sign had been replaced.

For European roads there are several, including but not limited to:
- European Roads (duh!, run by forum member Chris)
- Roads of Europe (also duh!, a.k.a. verreme). He posted many Mexican roads last year.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kevinb1994

FreewayJim due to his large following and that makes me one of them. I also follow other roadgeek channels such as BigRigSteve and RoadwayWiz (who may be familiar to users of this forum–he has an account here).

kphoger

A lot of these are user pages, not actual channels...

Music
12tone - music theory
Adam Neely - bass guitar & music in general
samuraiguitarist - electric guitar & music in general
Vinheteiro - piano

Road videos
takemytripdotcom - US nationwide
alx82qro - central Mexico

General knowledge
Half as Interesting
Tom Scott
The History Guy: History Deserves to Be Remembered
Numberphile
SciShow
Today I Found Out

Politics (right wing)
PragerU
Blue Collar Logic
StevenCrowder

Language
Langfocus - foreign languages
Name Expalin - English etymology

Entertainment
Dry Bar Comedy - clean stand-up
Good Mythical Morning - studio variety show
Lost in the Pond - comparing the UK to the USA
Awaken with JP - sarcastic commentary on current US culture
ParryGripp - short, stupid, animated songs
Bad Lip Reading - humorous lip-reading of movies, football games, political debates, etc
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

My favorite YouTube channel is probably CGP Grey.  My favorite roadgeek channels are FreewayJim and Freeway Franks.

I also follow AsphaltPlanet, the Roadwaywiz channels (roadwaywiz and roadwaywizwny), Wonder Why, Wendover Productions, Half as Interesting, Last Week Tonight, the Empire Files, and the official Doctor Who YouTube channel.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kevinb1994

Quote from: vdeane on February 15, 2020, 09:36:05 PM
My favorite YouTube channel is probably CGP Grey.  My favorite roadgeek channels are FreewayJim and Freeway Franks.

I also follow AsphaltPlanet, the Roadwaywiz channels (roadwaywiz and roadwaywizwny), Wonder Why, Wendover Productions, Half as Interesting, Last Week Tonight, the Empire Files, and the official Doctor Who YouTube channel.
I forgot to mention AshphaltPlanet and Last Week Tonight. On the other hand, don't mention Bend Over Productions...it's been something of a fuck-it-and-forget-about-it for me for some time now.

bing101

Pinoy Joyride is another one I like if you want to know your way in Manila.

Freewaybrent follows the format similar to freewayjim.

SolarCatcher is scenic too similar to Interstatekyle.

Chris

Freewayjim is probably the biggest producer for this type of content.

Though it seems that most if not nearly all of the interesting limited-access highways have been recorded by Freewayjim and others, so the untapped potential seems to dry up, unless they are willing to take more scenic highways that are not freeways. But these are often lesser known and result in fewer views than content from the Interstate or a major city.

A problem for highway timelapse video producers in Europe is that Google is working against you. Your content is much less likely to be suggested to an audience outside of your own country or language area, which suppresses growth and views. The algorithm thinks it is less relevant if a producer is from outside your country or language region, in particular if it isn't English.

For example: I never ever get timelapse videos recommended from other European producers despite me consuming and producing that kind of content. And my biggest audience share is still from the Netherlands despite my content not being in Dutch and the vast majority of my content isn't from the Netherlands.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Chris on February 16, 2020, 06:05:09 AM
Freewayjim is probably the biggest producer for this type of content.

Though it seems that most if not nearly all of the interesting limited-access highways have been recorded by Freewayjim and others, so the untapped potential seems to dry up, unless they are willing to take more scenic highways that are not freeways. But these are often lesser known and result in fewer views than content from the Interstate or a major city.

A problem for highway timelapse video producers in Europe is that Google is working against you. Your content is much less likely to be suggested to an audience outside of your own country or language area, which suppresses growth and views. The algorithm thinks it is less relevant if a producer is from outside your country or language region, in particular if it isn't English.

For example: I never ever get timelapse videos recommended from other European producers despite me consuming and producing that kind of content. And my biggest audience share is still from the Netherlands despite my content not being in Dutch and the vast majority of my content isn't from the Netherlands.

Regarding the more obscure scenic roads I tend to find that most of that content is in blog form rather than a video channel.  I suppose it makes sense, usually the more scenic the road the more often one wants to stop to take photos. 

bing101

TransCanada Phil is also a cool one to watch given that he does some roadgeek videos from other parts of Canada and its not all centered in the Toronto area. I know in some cases TransCanada Phil has co-produced some of Interstate Kyles videos.

hbelkins

No knock on Jim Georges, but freeways -- especially urban freeways -- are not what hold my interest. I prefer scenic rural roads, be they freeways or surface routes.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

csw

I don't know how you all can watch videos of other people driving...I get all the entertainment I can handle just driving places myself. Watching someone else do it without the fun of steering and shifting yourself seems pointless to me. If I want to see the road, I look at streetview.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: csw on February 16, 2020, 08:30:59 PM
I don't know how you all can watch videos of other people driving...I get all the entertainment I can handle just driving places myself. Watching someone else do it without the fun of steering and shifting yourself seems pointless to me. If I want to see the road, I look at streetview.

Sometimes videos exist for what Street View doesn't have, in those instances they can be good for scouting out a road.  Prior to 2010 the Google Drivers were going some ballsy places before they were reigned in to mostly modern and well traveled roads. 

bing101

In my case I started watching roadgeek videos like Freewaybrent and Freewayjim to get over my fears of driving.

berberry

I don't watch them frequently, but I do watch them, and also some driver's-view train videos, to see places I haven't seen before. Also, I sometimes want to see stretches of freeway that come up in discussions on this forum, or I may need to see the freeway of a large city I intend to visit. For me, that's a big stress reducer. I don't like to navigate a wide urban freeway I've never seen before. Watching freewayjim drive it first is a big help, at least for me.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 15, 2020, 12:14:57 PM

-  Regular Car Reviews

Used to be good but I think his reviews have gotten too serious, now. I still watch them but not with the same zeal that I used to have.

Quote from: vdeane on February 15, 2020, 09:36:05 PM
I also follow [...] Last Week Tonight

I can never get enough John Oliver. I have been binge watching his clips on and off for the last few months and I still have a ton I haven't seen.

berberry

I just ran across another of The History Guy's road-related videos and thought some other folks here might enjoy it. If you've never watched the channel you should; this guy could read the phone book and make it sound utterly fascinating. In this video he tells the story of the original National Road.

Chris

It's not a real-time driving video, though some people appear to find that more interesting than timelapse videos with music. It allows you to see roads, places and scenery you can't just drive to yourself. Who here didn't browse through a Rand McNally atlas and wondered what the road would look like?

Freewayjim has taken huge cross-country trips and FreewayBrent also did an enormous 'tens-of-thousands of miles' trip around the country and Canada.

Though I do believe that if you follow the top 5 or so creators of this type of videos, they have covered pretty much every urban area and scenic freeway in North America. There isn't as much to discover compared to the early years of HD timelapse videos.

hbelkins

The mechanics of driving don't interest me. I don't consider driving to be fun. How the road and the scenery appear does interest me. I'd rather be on the road in person, and it doesn't matter if I'm driving or a passenger, but if I can't be, then a video is the next best thing.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hbelkins on February 17, 2020, 03:20:50 PM

The mechanics of driving don't interest me. I don't consider driving to be fun. How the road and the scenery appear does interest me. I'd rather be on the road in person, and it doesn't matter if I'm driving or a passenger, but if I can't be, then a video is the next best thing.

With freeways I'm kind of take it or leave it given that very little input is needed from the driver.  In those cases freeways are kind of a wash given the road features are generally close to universal.  With scenic roads, or anything that is two lanes or less there really isn't a replacement for being behind the wheel.  Scenery in particular is very different in person and isn't conveyed in video very well I've found. 

formulanone

Quote from: hbelkins on February 17, 2020, 03:20:50 PM

I'm mostly in the same camp...I'm not very interested in watching road videos and prefer to experience it myself. But I do like driving when I can, it's rarely a chore.

That's not knock the quality of videos out there, since most of it is very good and I know the overall production takes a lot of time and effort. If some particular section is absolutely unique or an unusual event is recorded, then I'll make an exception.

I usually just search for videos that fit a particular interest of the moment or a "how-to", and I'm not much of a subscriber (other than family that's posted a few videos).

Route66Fan

I just checked my YouTube subscriptions & i am subscribed to about 777 channels, some of which are:
Daze with Jordan the Lion - A daily travel vlog.
Interstate 411 - Another highway channel.
The Daily Woo - Adam the Woo's new channel - travel vlogs.
Randomland Adventures - more travel vlogs.
Slim Potatohead - camping & travel vlogs.
12voltvids - Electronics repair videos.
Shango066 - Old TV repair & restoration videos.
radiotvphononut - Old record player\TV\Radio repair & restoration videos.
OfficialSWLchannel - Everything Shortwave radio related.
The Betamax Man - All VHS & Beta VCRs', all the time.
Antenna Man - All TV antennas, all the time.
Ellis Feaster - Old radio airchecks.
Betamax King - Old TV clips.
SignalsEverywhere - Radio stuff.
LandumC goes there - Old TV trivia.
KCVids86 - Places around the Kansas City & surrounding area.
The VCR King - VCR stuff.
CCG88 - Closing TV & Film logos.
Lazy Game Reviews (LGR) - Computer stuff.
MichaelMJD - More computer stuff.
Captain Rutlidge - PBS stuff.
Oddity Archive - Obscure Media & Electronics.
NewsActive3 - Vintage TV station newscasts, promos & station ids'.
tvmattkc - Old TV clips from the Kansas City area.
Glove and Boots - A funny puppet show.
&, a bonus one.
RedGreenTV - The official channel of the Red Green Show.
That's all I can list right now.

US71

Quote from: Route66Fan on February 19, 2020, 05:04:46 PM

Interstate 411 - Another highway channel.

Interstate 411 is relatively new.  Guy lives in Maumelle (near Little Rock). A lot of his videos are taken on his bike.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.