News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Covid vaccination status?

Started by hbelkins, March 04, 2021, 09:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your covid vaccination status?

I have taken the first shot, but not yet taken the second one.
22 (16.4%)
I have taken both shots.
74 (55.2%)
I plan to take the one-dose shot when it's available in my area.
4 (3%)
My priority group is not yet eligible, but I plan to take it when I can.
16 (11.9%)
I have not had covid and I don't plan to take the shot at all.
14 (10.4%)
I've already had covid so I don't need to/don't plan to take the shot.
3 (2.2%)
I've already had covid but I do plan to take the shot.
7 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on April 21, 2021, 10:07:55 AM
Quote from: Rothman on April 20, 2021, 10:26:23 PM
Stupid New Yorkers have caused a plateau.

My strong suspicion is that not all of them are stupid people.

If they are simply refusing to get the vaccine, then it is hard to see how they aren't.

If they are medically unable to get it or can't get to a location, then that is another matter.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on April 21, 2021, 10:41:28 AM

If they are simply refusing to get the vaccine, then it is hard to see how they aren't.

If they are medically unable to get it or can't get to a location, then that is another matter.

How convenient is it for someone to get a vaccine in these circumstances?  For me it was because all I had to do was walk a couple buildings over and wait in a short line.  My wife conversely has no interest nor the patience to wait in a mass vaccination line with her car idling for over an hour.  Her take is that it is better to wait until a more convenient means is available to her.  I would have been of the same mindset had I been presented with the same means of availability.  I think a lot people don't consider things like that when they call people "stupid"  for not getting the vaccine as a blanket statement. 

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 21, 2021, 11:07:40 AM

How convenient is it for someone to get a vaccine in these circumstances?  For me it was because all I had to do was walk a couple buildings over and wait in a short line.  My wife conversely has no interest nor the patience to wait in a mass vaccination line with her car idling for over an hour.  Her take is that it is better to wait until a more convenient means is available to her.  I would have been of the same mindset had I been presented with the same means of availability.  I think a lot people don't consider things like that when they call people "stupid"  for not getting the vaccine as a blanket statement.

Unless things are drastically different downstate, perhaps, there appear to be no lengthy lines here in NY at our sites to rationalize a delay.  The appointments are well-staggered and organized.

So, keep in mind the context of our little race between CT and NY.

Hour-long drive-thrus would indeed suck and I haven't experienced with anything like that, even at our testing sites.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Rothman on April 21, 2021, 11:15:56 AM

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 21, 2021, 11:07:40 AM

Unless things are drastically different downstate, perhaps, there appear to no lengthy lines here in NY at our sites to rationalize a delay.  The appointments are well-staggered and organized.

So, keep in mind the context of our little race between CT and NY.

From other posts in this thread, things are drastically different downstate.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kphoger

I know plenty of intelligent people who don't plan to be vaccinated–a set of people that includes teachers and nurses, by the way, successful college-graduate professionals.  Your inability to "see how they aren't" stupid doesn't enter into it.  The fact is that not every intelligent person has the same opinion, nor does every intelligent person believe the same thing, nor does every intelligent person do the same thing.  At least that's the way it is in Wichita.  I'm assuming the same holds true in New York.

Smearing everyone who isn't getting vaccinated as "stupid" is just juvenile.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: kphoger on April 21, 2021, 12:07:15 PM

I know plenty of intelligent people who don't plan to be vaccinated–a set of people that includes teachers and nurses, by the way, successful college-graduate professionals.  Your inability to "see how they aren't" stupid doesn't enter into it.  The fact is that not every intelligent person has the same opinion, nor does every intelligent person believe the same thing, nor does every intelligent person do the same thing.  At least that's the way it is in Wichita.  I'm assuming the same holds true in New York.

Smearing everyone who isn't getting vaccinated as "stupid" is just juvenile.

Stupid is an intellectual failing. Not getting vaccinated is more of a moral failing. They aren't too stupid to help protect others' lives, they just don't care.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kphoger

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 21, 2021, 12:15:16 PM
Stupid is an intellectual failing. Not getting vaccinated is more of a moral failing. They aren't too stupid to help protect others' lives, they just don't care.

And, see, I say it's a moral failure to slander a career school nurse you don't even know as someone who doesn't care about protecting people.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

For me, individually, ignoring long-term effects of COVID, I would probably be about the same with or without the vaccine; the vaccine will give me side effects for a day or two, and getting COVID is very unlikely to kill me since I'm in my early twenties. However, it's the percent vaccinated that matters more, so I'll be getting it when I'm able to.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Jim

I've discussed the vaccines with lots of people who I know personally (work colleagues, family, friends, students in my classes).  I can't think of even one who isn't either vaccinated or intends to be soon.  I did hear from a friend that his fairly elderly mother was advised by her doctor not to get a covid vaccine because she had previous adverse reactions to vaccines.  Of course, I haven't discussed with everyone I know so I am sure there are some who will choose not to get a vaccine, whether for reasons I'd personally consider to be good or to be misguided.  I suppose there are many reasons people have, and they have the right to make their own decision about it.  What kind of reasons have people been hearing? 

Maybe this should branch off to a different thread.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Duke87

Well, it's more complex than that. A large percentage of people refusing to get vaccinated are racial minorities, who for quite understandable reasons have a culturally ingrained distrust of government. There is, in fact, some specific baggage with the government offering what they claim to be free medical treatment to minorities...

But regardless, it is because of this that New York (55.1% non-hispanic white) will have a lower voluntary vaccine uptake rate than Connecticut (71.2% non-hispanic white), and at this point therefore really has no chance of catching up to Connecticut.

Even within Connecticut, the effect is visible. On a town by town basis, how many people have gotten vaccinated most obviously correlates with what percentage of the town voted for whom in recent elections. However, towns with large minority populations (e.g. Hartford, Bridgeport, New Haven) jump out as clear exceptions to this trend.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Rothman on April 21, 2021, 11:15:56 AMUnless things are drastically different downstate, perhaps, there appear to be no lengthy lines here in NY at our sites to rationalize a delay.  The appointments are well-staggered and organized.

(. . .)

Hour-long drive-thrus would indeed suck and I haven't experienced with anything like that, even at our testing sites.

People's wait times have been very uneven, as can be seen just from the reports in this thread.  My father, who has had his two Pfizer shots, reports waiting for over an hour for the first shot and less than fifteen minutes for the second.  I suspect a large share of those who still haven't been vaccinated do plan to get the shots, but are waiting for enough slack to develop in the system that they are virtually guaranteed a short wait when they do go.  This was actually my original strategy, but I felt I had to change course when mask mandates started unraveling here.

Quote from: Jim on April 21, 2021, 12:34:30 PMOf course, I haven't discussed with everyone I know so I am sure there are some who will choose not to get a vaccine, whether for reasons I'd personally consider to be good or to be misguided.  I suppose there are many reasons people have, and they have the right to make their own decision about it.  What kind of reasons have people been hearing?

From a retired music teacher at a Catholic school:  "I just don't believe in vaccines."  I think the lesson here is that education and intellectual capacity don't necessarily add up to acceptance of empiricism.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Duke87

Quote from: Jim on April 21, 2021, 12:34:30 PM
What kind of reasons have people been hearing? 

From the dude who came to clean out our air ducts a couple weeks ago: "I dunno, I'm not sure it's safe, what if we start finding next year that people who got vaccinated start having nasty problems from them".

This seems to be one of the most common reasons in general, especially among relatively young healthy people who perceive their risk of covid itself to be low and would rather take their chances with it as "it's the devil we know".

The upshot is most of these people are willing to get vaccinated eventually... but, unfortunately, the point at which they become comfortable doing so may not be in the near term.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

US 89

Quote from: Jim on April 21, 2021, 12:34:30 PM
What kind of reasons have people been hearing? 

My mom's haircut lady apparently doesn't want to get it because she thinks it causes infertility.

bm7

Of the people I know  (myself included) who aren't planning to get it, their reasoning generally falls into one or both of these categories:

1. Unsure of the safety of them. mRNA vaccines have not been used outside of trials before these vaccines were developed, so there is little data on the long-term effects of this kind of vaccine. The Covid vaccines were all developed within the last year, which means there's no data on long-term effects of them specifically either.

2. Don't see the need to get it. They aren't concerned about getting sick because they're young and healthy, and according to the statistics therefore have an extremely low chance of serious illness/death. Additionally, most people in the country are planning to get vaccinated, meaning the spread will be greatly decreased, further lowering the risks of not being vaccinated.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: bm7 on April 21, 2021, 01:17:27 PM
Of the people I know  (myself included) who aren't planning to get it, their reasoning generally falls into one or both of these categories:

1. Unsure of the safety of them. mRNA vaccines have not been used outside of trials before these vaccines were developed, so there is little data on the long-term effects of this kind of vaccine. The Covid vaccines were all developed within the last year, which means there's no data on long-term effects of them specifically either.

2. Don't see the need to get it. They aren't concerned about getting sick because they're young and healthy, and according to the statistics therefore have an extremely low chance of serious illness/death. Additionally, most people in the country are planning to get vaccinated, meaning the spread will be greatly decreased, further lowering the risks of not being vaccinated.
You might think differently once vaccine passports are needed to go to most major events.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

J N Winkler

A while ago I looked at how vaccination was playing out among US service personnel.  Because none of the available vaccines have progressed beyond emergency use authorization, service members are allowed to decline them, though some in Congress have questioned whether they should have this option.

*  Vaccination rate for the military as a whole is slightly above that of the US population.

*  In some Army units, only 30% of soldiers have accepted vaccine when it has been offered.

*  Rates improve (to acceptance of 80%-90%) when units go on deployment.

*  The covid case fatality rate is very low--something like 123 out of over 150,000 cases, or about 0.08%.  This is almost certainly a result of (1) a wide range of pre-existing conditions being disqualifying for service, (2) soldiers being required to maintain physical fitness (including a high degree of aerobic conditioning) on an ongoing basis, and (3) the active-duty population skewing young compared to the US population as a whole (careers longer than 20 years are rare, and potential recruits begin needing waivers at age 28 depending on service branch).  The risk reduction for a service member from being vaccinated thus falls within less than a percentage point of the case fatality rate for the US armed forces as a whole, though the reduction in risk of death from covid is probably still at least three orders of magnitude.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 21, 2021, 01:22:43 PM
A while ago I looked at how vaccination was playing out among US service personnel.  Because none of the available vaccines have progressed beyond emergency use authorization, service members are allowed to decline them, though some in Congress have questioned whether they should have this option.

*  Vaccination rate for the military as a whole is slightly above that of the US population.

*  In some Army units, only 30% of soldiers have accepted vaccine when it has been offered.

*  Rates improve (to acceptance of 80%-90%) when units go on deployment.

*  The covid case fatality rate is very low--something like 123 out of over 150,000 cases, or about 0.08%.  This is almost certainly a result of (1) a wide range of pre-existing conditions being disqualifying for service, (2) soldiers being required to maintain physical fitness (including a high degree of aerobic conditioning) on an ongoing basis, and (3) the active-duty population skewing young compared to the US population as a whole (careers longer than 20 years are rare, and potential recruits begin needing waivers at age 28 depending on service branch).  The risk reduction for a service member from being vaccinated thus falls within less than a percentage point of the case fatality rate for the US armed forces as a whole, though the reduction in risk of death from covid is probably still at least three orders of magnitude.
Getting a vaccine isn't just about your own risk. It's about being able to reopen society and continue life as normal. Look at Israel's cases after 50% and more got vaccinated. Cases have dropped like a rock. Also 30% want it in some units? That's insane!

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

bm7

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 21, 2021, 01:19:41 PM

You might think differently once vaccine passports are needed to go to most major events.
Well so far, that idea hasn't really been implemented anywhere. And if it is, it would increase vaccinations for people in the second category, but wouldn't do anything to the first.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: bm7 on April 21, 2021, 01:26:45 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 21, 2021, 01:19:41 PM

Well so far, that idea hasn't really been implemented anywhere. And if it is, it would increase vaccinations for people in the second category, but wouldn't do anything to the first.
Hopefully the first category is swayed as time goes on and people don't suffer any insane side effects.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: 1 on April 21, 2021, 12:34:26 PM
For me, individually, ignoring long-term effects of COVID, I would probably be about the same with or without the vaccine; the vaccine will give me side effects for a day or two, and getting COVID is very unlikely to kill me since I'm in my early twenties. However, it's the percent vaccinated that matters more, so I'll be getting it when I'm able to.

For healthy people that are unlikely to ever suffer severe symptoms, the primary reason for getting the vaccine is to help reach herd immunity, at which point the risk of a new, vaccine-resistant mutation of the virus becomes practically zero.

Another way to put it is that you need to get vaccinated in order for your parents/grandparents vaccines to continue to be effective.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 21, 2021, 01:35:28 PM

For healthy people that are unlikely to ever suffer severe symptoms, the primary reason for getting the vaccine is to help reach herd immunity, at which point the risk of a new, vaccine-resistant mutation of the virus becomes practically zero.

Another way to put it is that you need to get vaccinated in order for your parents/grandparents vaccines to continue to be effective.
Bingo. Also, I want to be able to see my 3 year old cousin. She can't get the vaccine yet, so I need to get it so I can see her.

NE2

Then they trust stupid people. Or are being kept from the vaccine by stupid people.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: NE2 on April 21, 2021, 01:36:50 PM

Then they trust stupid people. Or are being kept from the vaccine by stupid people.
Who is keeping people from getting the vaccine?

bm7

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 21, 2021, 01:36:43 PM

Bingo. Also, I want to be able to see my 3 year old cousin. She can't get the vaccine yet, so I need to get it so I can see her.
Why can't you see her? Unless she's immune-compromised, I don't see any reason why you can't, children have the very lowest chances of getting sick from Covid.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: bm7 on April 21, 2021, 02:00:11 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 21, 2021, 01:36:43 PM

Why can't you see her? Unless she's immune-compromised, I don't see any reason why you can't, children have the very lowest chances of getting sick from Covid.
Some people are very cautious.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.