News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Covid vaccination status?

Started by hbelkins, March 04, 2021, 09:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your covid vaccination status?

I have taken the first shot, but not yet taken the second one.
22 (16.4%)
I have taken both shots.
74 (55.2%)
I plan to take the one-dose shot when it's available in my area.
4 (3%)
My priority group is not yet eligible, but I plan to take it when I can.
16 (11.9%)
I have not had covid and I don't plan to take the shot at all.
14 (10.4%)
I've already had covid so I don't need to/don't plan to take the shot.
3 (2.2%)
I've already had covid but I do plan to take the shot.
7 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 134

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 21, 2021, 01:26:01 PM
Getting a vaccine isn't just about your own risk. It's about being able to reopen society and continue life as normal.

Life here has pretty much reopened and returned to normal.  Putting a mask on when entering a business that requires it–that's about the only non-normal thing anymore, and that's required whether you've been vaccinated or not.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 21, 2021, 02:02:17 PM

Quote from: bm7 on April 21, 2021, 02:00:11 PM

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 21, 2021, 01:36:43 PM

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 21, 2021, 01:35:28 PM

Quote from: 1 on April 21, 2021, 12:34:26 PM
For me, individually, ignoring long-term effects of COVID, I would probably be about the same with or without the vaccine; the vaccine will give me side effects for a day or two, and getting COVID is very unlikely to kill me since I'm in my early twenties. However, it's the percent vaccinated that matters more, so I'll be getting it when I'm able to.

For healthy people that are unlikely to ever suffer severe symptoms, the primary reason for getting the vaccine is to help reach herd immunity, at which point the risk of a new, vaccine-resistant mutation of the virus becomes practically zero.

Another way to put it is that you need to get vaccinated in order for your parents/grandparents vaccines to continue to be effective.

Bingo. Also, I want to be able to see my 3 year old cousin. She can't get the vaccine yet, so I need to get it so I can see her.

Why can't you see her? Unless she's immune-compromised, I don't see any reason why you can't, children have the very lowest chances of getting sick from Covid.

Some people are very cautious.

Well, don't be surprised if most people don't take more precautions than the current CDC guidelines.

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 21, 2021, 01:35:28 PM
For healthy people that are unlikely to ever suffer severe symptoms, the primary reason for getting the vaccine is to help reach herd immunity, at which point the risk of a new, vaccine-resistant mutation of the virus becomes practically zero.

The threat of a potential scenario that isn't actually happening–that's not exactly strong, compelling motivation for someone to get something they're already worried about the long-term effects of.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on April 21, 2021, 02:27:43 PM
Getting a vaccine isn't just about your own risk. It's about being able to reopen society and continue life as normal.

Life here has pretty much reopened and returned to normal.
"Normal" isn't quite "normal", though. For me personally, April 2021 is more similar to April 2020 than it is to April 2019. And some changes are likely to endure, like more people working from home, more meetings being done virtually instead of in-person, and less traffic.

Is it too early to assess the long-term consequences? I'm not sure. That's a question I've been pondering for the last month or so. Just as one example, I find the possibility that traffic may never return to pre-covid levels very depressing, so I try not to think about it too much.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on April 21, 2021, 03:10:27 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 21, 2021, 02:27:43 PM

Life here has pretty much reopened and returned to normal.
"Normal" isn't quite "normal", though. For me personally, April 2021 is more similar to April 2020 than it is to April 2019. And some changes are likely to endure, like more people working from home, more meetings being done virtually instead of in-person, and less traffic.

Is it too early to assess the long-term consequences? I'm not sure. That's a question I've been pondering for the last month or so. Just as one example, I find the possibility that traffic may never return to pre-covid levels very depressing, so I try not to think about it too much.
What's the problem with less traffic?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

"Normal" isn't quite "normal", though.

I wasn't speaking for your area.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on April 21, 2021, 03:18:11 PM

The northeast is a lot more strict.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Forget the line comparing Aprils - isn't this the case everywhere?

... some changes are likely to endure, like more people working from home, more meetings being done virtually instead of in-person, and less traffic.

kphoger

If they are truly "enduring" changes, then they have nothing to do with "a vaccine [not being] just about your own risk ... [but] being able to reopen society and continue life as normal".

Having said that, there are still some folks working from home who will likely return to the office eventually.  But I doubt getting a vaccine will affect that one way or the other for most people:  you'll either get to come back to the office or you won't, regardless.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 21, 2021, 03:11:17 PM
... Just as one example, I find the possibility that traffic may never return to pre-covid levels very depressing, so I try not to think about it too much.

Less traffic makes roadgeeking less fun. It also means there's less to talk about. And it's sad to think that fewer people are out traveling. It's just another sign that "normal" isn't really "normal".

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: webny99 on April 21, 2021, 03:32:07 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 21, 2021, 03:11:17 PM
... Just as one example, I find the possibility that traffic may never return to pre-covid levels very depressing, so I try not to think about it too much.

Less traffic makes roadgeeking less fun. It also means there's less to talk about. And it's sad to think that fewer people are out traveling. It's just another sign that "normal" isn't really "normal".

There's less people commuting, although there seems to be quite a number of people traveling.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 21, 2021, 03:19:04 PM

The northeast is a lot more strict.

Well, you're still going to have to get more specific.

New Hampshire's mask mandate expired April 16 and removed capacity limits.  Other states in the northeast continue to allow greater capacity limits, most at 50% and above.  At least in my state, I'm having a tough time determining if anything is really being enforced beyond very obvious violations (no seats at the bar, for example).  There was an issue at an outdoor raceway on Sunday, where the State Police shut down a venue due to "Capacity Limits"...even though at the time of the shutdown, they were still well under the Covid-capacity limit of the venue at the time.  There was a lot of congestion on the roads leading to the raceway, causing many to believe local officials and residents, some of whom are not fond of the race track, may have made some calls.

hotdogPi

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 21, 2021, 03:37:59 PM
New Hampshire's mask mandate expired April 16 and removed capacity limits.

1. Many cities and towns had a mask mandate in New Hampshire before the statewide one went into effect. Some of the citywide ones are probably still in effect.
2. New Hampshire is leading the country (i.e. #1) in percent with at least one shot, unless the New York Times has a typo.
3. New Hampshire is the only Republican-controlled state in the entire area; surrounding blue states probably won't remove mask mandates as quickly. (Some of the surrounding states have Republican governors, but they have Democratic legislatures. Republicans also control the state legislature in New Hampshire.)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on April 21, 2021, 03:24:14 PM
... isn't this the case everywhere?

... some changes are likely to endure, like more people working from home, more meetings being done virtually instead of in-person, and less traffic.

Quote from: kphoger on April 21, 2021, 03:28:13 PM
If they are truly "enduring" changes, then they have nothing to do with "a vaccine [not being] just about your own risk ... [but] being able to reopen society and continue life as normal"..

Huh? They still resulted from Covid. I guess I should have trimmed out RGT's bit, because my point was simply about whether things are normal, and really had nothing to do with the implications of the vaccine.

webny99

kphoger

Ah, gotcha.  I guess I meant "as normal as it's going to get".
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

How does less traffic make roadgeeking less fun?  I'm honestly at a loss on that one.
Male pronouns, please.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1 on April 21, 2021, 03:47:10 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 21, 2021, 03:37:59 PM
New Hampshire's mask mandate expired April 16 and removed capacity limits.

1. Many cities and towns had a mask mandate in New Hampshire before the statewide one went into effect. Some of the citywide ones are probably still in effect.
2. New Hampshire is leading the country (i.e. #1) in percent with at least one shot, unless the New York Times has a typo.
3. New Hampshire is the only Republican-controlled state in the entire area; surrounding blue states probably won't remove mask mandates as quickly. (Some of the surrounding states have Republican governors, but they have Democratic legislatures. Republicans also control the state legislature in New Hampshire.)

Alabama is often cited as one of the worst states in percent with at least one shot, and they eliminated their mask mandate also.  So...not a perfect reason.  And regardless of the reasons, the statement I responded to, which you excluded, was "the northeast is a lot more strict".  Clearly NH is not.   There also wasn't a comparison made, so "more strict" in respect to what? Kansas?  Florida?  California?  The Northwest?  The entire rest of the country? 

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on April 21, 2021, 03:52:31 PM
How does less traffic make roadgeeking less fun?  I'm honestly at a loss on that one.

Busy roads are a sign of normalcy, and in fact, probably one of my favorite signs of normalcy.

Traffic gives us something to talk about on this forum, and something to grumble about while making our morning coffee. It makes road trips more interesting, and provides us with better stories to tell when we return - especially to the big cities, where traffic is an integral part of the travel experience. Traffic gives us a reason to dream up interchange improvements and widenings and new freeway corridors, free of any "well, this was needed before Covid" disclaimers. Historically, traffic is also a sign of a good and/or improving economy and heightened economic activity. Positive vibes all around.

kphoger

I actively avoid big cities on road trips, and I think traffic makes them more stressful.
Male pronouns, please.

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: kphoger on April 21, 2021, 10:07:55 AM
Quote from: Rothman on April 20, 2021, 10:26:23 PM
Stupid New Yorkers have caused a plateau.

My strong suspicion is that not all of them are stupid people.

"Some of them, I assume, are good people." - The Former Guy
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on April 21, 2021, 04:23:54 PM
I actively avoid big cities on road trips, and I think traffic makes them more stressful.

Of course, the actual act of sitting in traffic on a freeway isn't as fun as cruising at 70 mph. But it does keep you alert, and is usually also memorable in a way that cruising at 70 mph isn't.

And to be clear, I'm referring to higher traffic volumes overall, not just traffic jams and delays.

kphoger

And I'm saying that, when traffic volumes are high, I have little opportunity to look at things, take pictures, etc.  Give me a deserted road over a crowded road any day.
Male pronouns, please.

NE2

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 21, 2021, 01:37:32 PM
Who is keeping people from getting the vaccine?
Anti-vax caretakers. Bosses who overwork employees and won't let them take off for side effects. Officials who refuse to provide accessible sites.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on April 21, 2021, 04:41:20 PM
And I'm saying that, when traffic volumes are high, I have little opportunity to look at things, take pictures, etc.  Give me a deserted road over a crowded road any day.

As a driver, or passenger?

(I can give an opposing case either way, but no point in typing both if I don't need to!  :-P)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: NE2 on April 21, 2021, 04:43:30 PM
Anti-vax caretakers. Bosses who overwork employees and won't let them take off for side effects. Officials who refuse to provide accessible sites.
Caretakers and employees I see, health officials are generally pro-vax.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 21, 2021, 04:53:00 PM

Quote from: NE2 on April 21, 2021, 04:43:30 PM

Caretakers and employees I see, health officials are generally pro-vax.

That doesn't necessarily contradict what |NE2| said.  They can be pro-vax but still fail to provide accessible sites.

(Edited to add:  Such does not make them stupid, however.)
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.