News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Covid vaccination status?

Started by hbelkins, March 04, 2021, 09:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your covid vaccination status?

I have taken the first shot, but not yet taken the second one.
22 (16.4%)
I have taken both shots.
74 (55.2%)
I plan to take the one-dose shot when it's available in my area.
4 (3%)
My priority group is not yet eligible, but I plan to take it when I can.
16 (11.9%)
I have not had covid and I don't plan to take the shot at all.
14 (10.4%)
I've already had covid so I don't need to/don't plan to take the shot.
3 (2.2%)
I've already had covid but I do plan to take the shot.
7 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 134

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 19, 2021, 09:44:01 AM
Poll updated since I got my second Pfizer shot this morning. Barely felt the needle at all. No side effects so far, but then it's only been just under an hour since I got the shot.

Most people that get the side effects usually get them later in the day or the next day, after the vaccine has had a chance to work its way throughout the body.  The most common is soreness in the area and weakness in the arm.

1995hoo

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 19, 2021, 09:56:34 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on April 19, 2021, 09:44:01 AM
Poll updated since I got my second Pfizer shot this morning. Barely felt the needle at all. No side effects so far, but then it's only been just under an hour since I got the shot.

Most people that get the side effects usually get them later in the day or the next day, after the vaccine has had a chance to work its way throughout the body.  The most common is soreness in the area and weakness in the arm.

Yeah, that makes sense. I feel mild fatigue now, but it's just too soon for it to be vaccine-related; it's almost certainly just mental and due in no small part to the dark and gloomy morning.

For those who wondered why my colleague in Weehawken drove all the way to Oneonta, he said last month when we first became eligible to get the shot in New York that was the nearest location to him with a close-in-time appointment; had he wanted to go to the Javits Center, he'd have had to wait "far longer" (his words). So he went back to the same place for the second shot.

Of interest on this forum, he also, said, "Of course, halfway through returning from Oneonta Saturday, the GPS did put us on a one lane dirt road after passing an abandoned castle. Trade offs." Anyone have any idea where that might have been? Edited to add: He just confirmed it was Dundas Castle. "It was extremely weird. First the GPS had us go on a one lane paved road through nowhere, then a castle loomed atop a hillside, then we were directed up a dirt fire access road."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 19, 2021, 10:13:00 AM
Of interest on this forum, he also, said, "Of course, halfway through returning from Oneonta Saturday, the GPS did put us on a one lane dirt road after passing an abandoned castle. Trade offs." Anyone have any idea where that might have been? Edited to add: He just confirmed it was Dundas Castle. "It was extremely weird. First the GPS had us go on a one lane paved road through nowhere, then a castle loomed atop a hillside, then we were directed up a dirt fire access road."

Interesting. I had never heard of Dundas Castle until looking it up just now. I can't imagine why the GPS would suggest a routing along that road unless there was some unforeseen issue in or around Roscoe. NY 206 straight to NY 17 is by far the most logical routing.

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on April 19, 2021, 10:46:09 AM

Interesting. I had never heard of Dundas Castle until looking it up just now. I can't imagine why the GPS would suggest a routing along that road unless there was some unforeseen issue in or around Roscoe. NY 206 straight to NY 17 is by far the most logical routing.

I don't know and I don't really see much point in asking. I also didn't seek to clarify his references to "one lane roads." I assume he means a two-lane road (one lane in each direction), given that true single-track roads are extremely rare, if not non-existent, in the USA. Wouldn't be the first time I've heard someone use "one-lane road" in that way.

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 19, 2021, 11:22:44 AM
Quote from: webny99 on April 19, 2021, 10:46:09 AM

I don't know and I don't really see much point in asking. I also didn't seek to clarify his references to "one lane roads." I assume he means a two-lane road (one lane in each direction), given that true single-track roads are extremely rare, if not non-existent, in the USA. Wouldn't be the first time I've heard someone use "one-lane road" in that way.

Understood - sorry, I wasn't trying to get you to find out, but I can see how it came across that way.

"One-lane road" could also mean a road wide enough for two cars, but with no center or shoulder lines, as distinct from most two-lane roads used by thru traffic which tend to have both. Unfortunately there's no Street View in the area, but what I can see in satellite view generally supports this view.

vdeane

In New York, anything that's narrower than 18' (the width needed for two cars to comfortably pass each other without at least one of them pulling off) is considered one lane.  And yes, we do have them.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

TheHighwayMan3561

Scheduled my first shot for Wednesday (Moderna, meh).
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on April 16, 2021, 09:16:52 PM

Quote from: Duke87 on April 16, 2021, 08:25:19 PM

Quote from: kphoger on April 16, 2021, 04:03:11 PM
pffft.  When the person giving me the shot says it's OK to take Tylenol to help with the discomfort...

The nurse who gave me mine said that I could take OTC pain meds IF things got bad, but not to do so proactively. This seems to be in line with what the CDC is saying.

I just got back from getting my second poke and running some deliveries with my wife.  I asked the nurse about Advil while she was filling out my form.  She said, of course, that Tylenol is the recommendation, and that it should be your first choice.  But, she said, Advil is not contra-indicated.  So, absent Tylenol, she said your first course of action should be to take nothing, but Advil is OK as a second choice.  She also mentioned that it is not recommended to take anything proactively.

Actually, I only ended up taking one Advil late this morning, and nothing since then.  I never really take anything proactively to begin with, so it didn't take much of you guys talking about it to get me to decide not to take any more.  But yeah, if I end up feeling miserable later, I'll go for the Advil.

I decided to take no meds–Tylenol or Advil–following my second jab Friday evening, unless side-effects kept me from sleeping during the night.  So the following is an account of my side-effects of the second Pfizer dose with no analgesic/anti-inflammatory drugs.

FRI 7:00 PM – Got the shot, just site soreness, nothing else
FRI 8:30 PM – Decided to have my weekend cocktail a day early, in case I felt like crap later
SAT 7:00 AM – Woke up after a good night's rest, still just a sore injection site, nothing else
SAT 9:00 AM – Began to experience mild chills and body ache, which increased with time
SAT 12:00 PM – Jacket and stocking cap on full-time, most of my time spent under two blankets
SAT 2:00 PM – Began to feel slight shortness of breath–as if a deep breath might make me cough
SAT 3:30 PM – By this time, had taken a hot bath and also a brief nap
SAT 9:30 PM – Went to bed still feverish and physically shivering against my wife
SUN 5:00 AM – Sometime around then, the fever began to break
SUN 7:00 AM – Got out of bed, feeling 85% normal
SUN 9:00 AM – Went to church, mainly just a little groggy but otherwise feeling almost normal
SUN 1:00 PM – 100% normal, well enough to chores around the house

Even though I felt quite feverish most of Saturday, my temperature was actually only one or two degrees above normal.  The body aches weren't as bad as having the flu, but I still felt pretty miserable all day.

I'm glad I had someone else cover for me on drums in church yesterday, because one of my side-effects was a weakened hand grip.  That's kind of important for playing the drums.

Onset = 14 hours after the shot
Duration = 22 hours from onset to almost normal
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on April 19, 2021, 02:02:03 PM
I decided to take no meds–Tylenol or Advil–following my second jab Friday evening, unless side-effects kept me from sleeping during the night.  So the following is an account of my side-effects of the second Pfizer dose with no analgesic/anti-inflammatory drugs.

FRI 8:30 PM – Decided to have my weekend cocktail a day early, in case I felt like crap later
SAT 7:00 AM – Woke up after a good night's rest, still just a sore injection site, nothing else
SAT 9:00 AM – Began to experience mild chills and body ache, which increased with time
SAT 12:00 PM – Jacket and stocking cap on full-time, most of my time spent under two blankets
SAT 2:00 PM – Began to feel slight shortness of breath–as if a deep breath might make me cough
SAT 9:30 PM – Went to bed still feverish and physically shivering against my wife
SUN 9:00 AM – Went to church, mainly just a little groggy but otherwise feeling almost normal

Even though I felt quite feverish most of Saturday, my temperature was actually only one or two degrees above normal.  The body aches weren't as bad as having the flu, but I still felt pretty miserable all day.

I'm glad I had someone else cover for me on drums in church yesterday, because one of my side-effects was a weakened hand grip.  That's kind of important for playing the drums.

Looks like your symptoms and timeline were pretty close to mine.  My onset was a little later than yours (around 20 hours or so).

Chris

J N Winkler

In my case (Moderna first shot), the side effects--initially just soreness at the injection site--started six hours after.  The one that bothered me the most, a feeling of clenching my shoulder muscle if I lifted my elbow to shoulder height, peaked at 36 hours with a rapid fall-off.

I go for the second shot this Saturday, so we'll see what happens.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 19, 2021, 04:29:11 PM
In my case (Moderna first shot), the side effects--initially just soreness at the injection site--started six hours after.  The one that bothered me the most, a feeling of clenching my shoulder muscle if I lifted my elbow to shoulder height, peaked at 36 hours with a rapid fall-off.

I go for the second shot this Saturday, so we'll see what happens.

I'm not sure which vaccine my mom got but, with the soreness in her shoulders, she said she would have thought she was having a heart attack if she hadn't already known that might be a side-effect.

It does make me wonder if anyone has ignored the signs of a heart attack because they thought it was just vaccine soreness.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: vdeane on April 19, 2021, 01:16:32 PM
In New York, anything that's narrower than 18' (the width needed for two cars to comfortably pass each other without at least one of them pulling off) is considered one lane.  And yes, we do have them.

I should note that I have no idea whether my colleague was using it in that sense or in a more generic sense. I don't know where he's from, though he did go to Fordham Law School.

dlsterner

Got my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine on Saturday at one of Maryland's mass vaccination sites.  Under 30 minutes in and out, including the mandatory 15 minute wait after the shot.  Got the shot right through my car window.

The site itself was a one hour drive from my home each way, however.

Now 48+ hours later, no side effects at all other than a tiny bit of soreness where the needle went in.

1995hoo

The slightly unfortunate timing of one of my brother's text messages last night had me laughing my arse off. (Mine are in green.)

Scott5114

If you get a vaccine and one of the side effects is that someone else dies, is that grounds to pull the vaccine or no?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

pffft.  When the person giving me the shot says it's OK to take Tylenol to help with the discomfort...

The nurse who gave me mine said that I could take OTC pain meds IF things got bad, but not to do so proactively. This seems to be in line with what the CDC is saying.

I just got back from getting my second poke and running some deliveries with my wife.  I asked the nurse about Advil while she was filling out my form.  She said, of course, that Tylenol is the recommendation, and that it should be your first choice.  But, she said, Advil is not contra-indicated.  So, absent Tylenol, she said your first course of action should be to take nothing, but Advil is OK as a second choice.  She also mentioned that it is not recommended to take anything proactively.

Actually, I only ended up taking one Advil late this morning, and nothing since then.  I never really take anything proactively to begin with, so it didn't take much of you guys talking about it to get me to decide not to take any more.  But yeah, if I end up feeling miserable later, I'll go for the Advil.

Thanks for this information. This morning I mainly felt intense fatigue like I haven't felt in years, plus a mild headache, but as the day has gone on I've started getting downright cold despite it being 74° outside (I just put on a sweatshirt and I'm still cold). Clearly vaccine-related. Took me longer than you to feel it, though–I got the shot at 8:45 yesterday morning.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 20, 2021, 01:34:37 PM
If you get a vaccine and one of the side effects is that someone else dies, is that grounds to pull the vaccine or no?

Wouldn't that technically be soul/life force harvesting?

noelbotevera

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 20, 2021, 01:34:37 PM
That's causation, not correlation.

kphoger

Quote from: noelbotevera on April 20, 2021, 04:38:58 PM
That's causation, not correlation.

Hey, keep that sort of talk in the Alanland thread.
Male pronouns, please.

1995hoo

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 20, 2021, 01:38:50 PM

Thanks for this information. This morning I mainly felt intense fatigue like I haven't felt in years, plus a mild headache, but as the day has gone on I've started getting downright cold despite it being 74° outside (I just put on a sweatshirt and I'm still cold). Clearly vaccine-related. Took me longer than you to feel it, though–I got the shot at 8:45 yesterday morning.

I signed off work at 3:00 and went to bed. Sheet, two blankets, and the bedspread, plus had my socks on, and that was about just right in terms of warming me up. Woke up at 6:15 to hit the head and then I was too warm when I went back to bed, so I got up. Being so cold reminded me of how my father was in the month or two before he died–he was always cold and would even have on jeans and polar fleece on an 85° June day. If a vaccine can do that to you, the virus must really be something.

So for me, it was closer to 30 hours before the worst of the side effects hit.

Rothman

Sonuvagun, Duke.  Freakin' NYC people stopped getting vaccinated -- especially Brooklyn.  Lots of supply left, but the rate of vaccination is no longer climbing.  Stupid New Yorkers have caused a plateau.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

My first dose has been scheduled for Monday 4/26. Exciting!
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on April 20, 2021, 10:26:23 PM
Stupid New Yorkers have caused a plateau.

My strong suspicion is that not all of them are stupid people.
Male pronouns, please.

MikeTheActuary

Sonuvagun, Duke.  Freakin' NYC people stopped getting vaccinated -- especially Brooklyn.  Lots of supply left, but the rate of vaccination is no longer climbing.  Stupid New Yorkers have caused a plateau.

We're reaching the point in the mass vaccination process where most of the people who actively want the vaccine are at least scheduled.   Slowdowns due to demand dropping off due to access issues or general resistance are or will soon start to happen, to one extent or another, across the US.

hotdogPi

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on April 21, 2021, 10:20:23 AM

We're reaching the point in the mass vaccination process where most of the people who actively want the vaccine are at least scheduled.   Slowdowns due to demand dropping off due to access issues or general resistance are or will soon start to happen, to one extent or another, across the US.

I'm not scheduled yet, and having become eligible just two days ago along with a whole bunch of other people, I don't expect to be soon.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.