News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Covid vaccination status?

Started by hbelkins, March 04, 2021, 09:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your covid vaccination status?

I have taken the first shot, but not yet taken the second one.
22 (16.4%)
I have taken both shots.
74 (55.2%)
I plan to take the one-dose shot when it's available in my area.
4 (3%)
My priority group is not yet eligible, but I plan to take it when I can.
16 (11.9%)
I have not had covid and I don't plan to take the shot at all.
14 (10.4%)
I've already had covid so I don't need to/don't plan to take the shot.
3 (2.2%)
I've already had covid but I do plan to take the shot.
7 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Ketchup99 on April 26, 2021, 10:20:50 PM
Why do you think you had it in December of 2019? We probably had fewer than 100 US cases by then.

Plenty of dead in California from late 2019 have been found to have COVID during autopsies.  I was sick for about a month with pretty much every classic COVID symptom.  Many symptoms like a lack of appetite, a loss of taste and a dry cough that wouldn't go away were things I never have experienced in any flu.  I also ended up losing 20 pounds during that month and my doctor couldn't diagnose what was wrong with me.  The way it was phrased by him was "unknown viral infection."

It might interest you to look into some of the evidence regarding COVID being present in the United States months before the outbreak in Wuhan.  There is a lot of evidence for it at this point, especially on the West Coast.

Duke87

Quote from: hbelkins on April 26, 2021, 08:33:26 PM
I'm also curious as to how many people will continue to wear masks when governmental mandates expire or are lifted, and how many people will continue to avoid activities such as eating in restaurants or attending events like movies, concerts, or ballgames. I know we have at least one person who has expressed an extreme reluctance to stay in a hotel/motel.

My general sentiment is that once two weeks have passed since shot 2, covid is no longer my problem, and I will be willing to do anything I'd normally do. At least provided the venue/jurisdiction doesn't have rules in place that make it unappealing (I have for example seen venues that still want a negative test produced to enter even if you're fully vaccinated. No thanks, my business is going elsewhere).

That said, I will continue wearing a mask to the grocery store and what have you for as long as it remains required... begrudgingly.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

bm7

Someone else mentioned it, but I'm curious about the others who voted they aren't taking the shot but haven't commented about it. Are they afraid they're going to be piled on like what has happened to me?

There are currently 113 votes in the poll, and I doubt there's been half that many people who have posted in the thread in total, so there's plenty of people who said they are getting/have gotten vaccinated who haven't replied either. I know there's been a few others who have posted saying they aren't getting it, so I don't think it's that they haven't been as likely to respond, as much as just the fact that there's way more people on here who are getting it.

Scott5114

Quote from: Duke87 on April 26, 2021, 11:11:39 PM
My general sentiment is that once two weeks have passed since shot 2, covid is no longer my problem, and I will be willing to do anything I'd normally do. At least provided the venue/jurisdiction doesn't have rules in place that make it unappealing (I have for example seen venues that still want a negative test produced to enter even if you're fully vaccinated. No thanks, my business is going elsewhere).

That said, I will continue wearing a mask to the grocery store and what have you for as long as it remains required... begrudgingly.

This is kind of where I'm at. As I've said before, at a certain point the restrictions are going to have to end and everyone who can't get it will have to quarantine, and everyone who won't get it will have to suffer the consequences of their decision. I don't think it's fair to have restrictions going on and on because we haven't hit some target percentage of the population with the vaccine, while we have it available to everyone in the state to roll up and get it whenever they like.

I am looking forward to my local mask mandate ending on June 1st because I'm kind of sick of having to deal with my glasses fogging up and falling off because the straps make them slide off my ears. Until then, though, I am complying with the mask mandate, with one exception. I went back to the gym for the first time in over a year last week. There were only three other people there (plus one employee), and none of them were wearing masks, so I didn't bother to wear mine. It's hard enough for me to catch my breath doing strenuous exercise without a mask blocking my airflow.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JayhawkCO

I'm also curious as to how many people will continue to wear masks when governmental mandates expire or are lifted, and how many people will continue to avoid activities such as eating in restaurants or attending events like movies, concerts, or ballgames. I know we have at least one person who has expressed an extreme reluctance to stay in a hotel/motel.

I'll wear them when required and I'll wear a mask from now on if I get a cold or something and have to run an errand.  I don't want to get others sick.  I probably won't be going to the movies anytime soon (I went rarely pre-Covid), but most of those other things are outside which I will not be concerned with not wearing a mask now that I'm vaccinated.  There's still plenty of distancing requirements here anyway.

Chris

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 26, 2021, 11:23:05 PM

This is kind of where I'm at. As I've said before, at a certain point the restrictions are going to have to end and everyone who can't get it will have to quarantine, and everyone who won't get it will have to suffer the consequences of their decision. I don't think it's fair to have restrictions going on and on because we haven't hit some target percentage of the population with the vaccine, while we have it available to everyone in the state to roll up and get it whenever they like.

I am looking forward to my local mask mandate ending on June 1st because I'm kind of sick of having to deal with my glasses fogging up and falling off because the straps make them slide off my ears. Until then, though, I am complying with the mask mandate, with one exception. I went back to the gym for the first time in over a year last week. There were only three other people there (plus one employee), and none of them were wearing masks, so I didn't bother to wear mine. It's hard enough for me to catch my breath doing strenuous exercise without a mask blocking my airflow.
Massachusetts will likely be on of the last states to drop the mask mandate.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Similar here.  I haven't worn a mask since about a week after the mandate was lifted here–and I only wore it then because I had been in not-close contact with someone who had COVID but didn't realize it.  I can't think of a single person in my office building still wearing a mask, including the lady I share an office with who has been very cautious the whole time for more than one reason;  she hasn't worn hers since her second shot either.

Every Sunday at church, there are fewer and fewer people wearing masks, and I assume it's because there are more and more people fully vaccinated.  This is actually keeping a good friend of ours away from church, because she has had a great deal of anxiety during the pandemic–which is not helped at all by the fact that when, she got the virus back in the summer, she ended up using an inhaler for a month.  Basically, until the CDC says fully vaccinated people can stop wearing masks, she won't go somewhere there are vaccinated people not wearing masks.  Another good friend from church has substitute-taught for her recently, and he said the entire first page of instructions was about sanitization.

Really, I only wear a mask anymore if I'm out grocery shopping.  It's to the point that I'm starting to forget grabbing it when I leave again.

My kids still wear their masks faithfully everywhere outside of our house or our friends' houses, even in contexts where they're literally the only ones wearing one.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on April 27, 2021, 12:07:12 PM

Similar here.  I haven't worn a mask since about a week after the mandate was lifted here–and I only wore it then because I had been in not-close contact with someone who had COVID but didn't realize it.  I can't think of a single person in my office building still wearing a mask, including the lady I share an office with who has been very cautious the whole time for more than one reason;  she hasn't worn hers since her second shot either.

Every Sunday at church, there are fewer and fewer people wearing masks, and I assume it's because there are more and more people fully vaccinated.  This is actually keeping a good friend of ours away from church, because she has had a great deal of anxiety during the pandemic–which is not helped at all by the fact that when, she got the virus back in the summer, she ended up using an inhaler for a month.  Basically, until the CDC says fully vaccinated people can stop wearing masks, she won't go somewhere there are vaccinated people not wearing masks.  Another good friend from church has substitute-taught for her recently, and he said the entire first page of instructions was about sanitization.

Really, I only wear a mask anymore if I'm out grocery shopping.  It's to the point that I'm starting to forget grabbing it when I leave again.

My kids still wear their masks faithfully everywhere outside of our house or our friends' houses, even in contexts where they're literally the only ones wearing one.
Mask wearing is not needed in my opinion if most, if not all of the people in the gathering are fully vaccinated (or are kids who are very low risk).

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SectorZ

So much for this thread being about vaccines anymore...

hotdogPi

Quote from: SectorZ on April 27, 2021, 12:22:48 PM

The other thread was supposed to have a temporary lock, not a permanent lock. They forgot to unlock it.
Clinched, plus NH 38, MA 286, and MA 193

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
Many state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25

New: MA 193 clinched and a tiny bit of CT 193 traveled

My computer is currently under repair. This means I can't update Travel Mapping and have limited ability for the image threads.

CoreySamson

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 26, 2021, 10:26:53 PM
Quote from: Ketchup99 on April 26, 2021, 10:20:50 PM
Why do you think you had it in December of 2019? We probably had fewer than 100 US cases by then.

Plenty of dead in California from late 2019 have been found to have COVID during autopsies.  I was sick for about a month with pretty much every classic COVID symptom.  Many symptoms like a lack of appetite, a loss of taste and a dry cough that wouldn't go away were things I never have experienced in any flu.  I also ended up losing 20 pounds during that month and my doctor couldn't diagnose what was wrong with me.  The way it was phrased by him was "unknown viral infection."

It might interest you to look into some of the evidence regarding COVID being present in the United States months before the outbreak in Wuhan.  There is a lot of evidence for it at this point, especially on the West Coast.
I think I mentioned this in the coronavirus thread, but I believe my family and I had COVID in February 2020. Had a fever, nasty coughing, and bronchitis. What's more, one of my parents went to the doctor about it, and a lot of other people there had similar symptoms. Plus the doctors were confused because they were giving out strep and influenza tests to everybody and they were coming back negative. The diagnosis was "bronchitis". One of my mom's cousins is a nurse, and based on the descriptions of our symptoms she believes we had COVID. It makes sense how it could've been transmitted: someone from Wuhan has a layover at IAH in January, spreads it to someone else there, then that person goes home from the airport to my area, spreads it to me.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

kphoger

Quote from: SectorZ on April 27, 2021, 12:22:48 PM

Yeah, I'd like to get back on topic too.

The problem is that our vaccination status may very well influence our mask behavior, so they're related subjects.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Before the pandemic arrived, we had a presumption that it was reasonable to go out in public, including in indoor spaces, without a mask or social distancing.  That is now gone.  Vaccination is part of the way to getting it back, but not all of it.  At this point, it is just not worth it for me to go out in public indoors spaces without a mask (even in settings where I can be sure everyone else has been vaccinated) if I am going to get looks or be asked to justify myself.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

US 89

Quote from: US 89 on April 26, 2021, 10:10:43 PM
Got my second dose of Pfizer today.

Hopefully I don't get any side effects.

Update: I woke up in the middle of the night to chills, aches, and a fever of 100.5, about 12 hours after my second Pfizer dose. I took a Tylenol and it went away after a few hours. Fever has not come back but I've definitely felt tired/not exactly normal for most of today.

This is almost the exact same progression that my dad had with his second Pfizer dose a month ago. Wonder if there's a genetic component to it.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: US 89 on April 27, 2021, 05:33:52 PM
Quote from: US 89 on April 26, 2021, 10:10:43 PM
Got my second dose of Pfizer today.

Hopefully I don't get any side effects.

Update: I woke up in the middle of the night to chills, aches, and a fever of 100.5, about 12 hours after my second Pfizer dose. I took a Tylenol and it went away after a few hours. Fever has not come back but I've definitely felt tired/not exactly normal for most of today.

This is almost the exact same progression that my dad had with his second Pfizer dose a month ago. Wonder if there's a genetic component to it.
Most people have similar symptoms.

Ketchup99

A study just came out of the UK indicating that people with one dose of the vaccine who contract COVID are about 40% less likely to transmit it - logically (although we'll soon find out), that could hit 60-70% with two doses. We also know that someone with two shots has around a 90% reduced chance of contracting asymptomatic or symptomatic COVID to begin with. Combining these, you've reduced someone's odds by 96 to 97% of contracting the virus and spreading it to someone else. If fully vaccinated people have almost no risk of spreading or getting sick, I feel like we're doing more damage to the vaccination effort by saying "hey, thanks for getting a shot, now don't change your behavior." Vaccination, with numbers like these, should absolutely be the ticket back to normal life.

Roadgeekteen

The college that I will be attending this Fall, UMass Amherst, will be requiring the vaccine, as will all other Massachusetts state schools.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 28, 2021, 11:03:22 PM
The college that I will be attending this Fall, UMass Amherst, will be requiring the vaccine, as will all other Massachusetts state schools.
Congratulations! Good luck.

kkt

Congratulations!  They're a good school.

Rothman

Congrats.  I went to grad school there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheHighwayMan3561

Got my first Moderna this morning. My arm was sore for 10 minutes, but now all I feel is the bandage. I expect some side effects to surface later.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Max Rockatansky

I guess I'm legit now that two weeks have passed since vaccine number two.

jakeroot

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 29, 2021, 12:11:23 PM
Got my first Moderna this morning. My arm was sore for 10 minutes, but now all I feel is the bandage. I expect some side effects to surface later.

Was it sore immediately after the jab, or later on? I recall that most people feel sore in the arm, but that it's usually an hour-plus later, not necessarily right away.

1995hoo

I've heard that the younger you are, the stronger the side effects you'll likely experience from the Pfizer vaccine. That seems to be borne out in my experience. My mom, who is in her 70s, had no side effects whatsoever. My wife is a few years older than I am and didn't really notice much either other than arm soreness. I'm in my late 40s and the day after the shot I had a headache that felt like what I imagine a concussion feels like (the only concussion I know I've ever had was when I was 7, so I don't really recall) and then I got intense chills and had to take a three-hour nap. A colleague of mine who is 30 years old got her second shot on Tuesday and sent us a message Wednesday morning to say she couldn't function due to a fever and chills; she had woken up in the middle of the night feeling horrible and it just got worse from there. But today she feels OK.

It's interesting to me to note that not only were her side effects more intense than mine, they also hit her more quickly. My brother theorizes that younger people generally have stronger immune systems that therefore generate stronger side effects. If that's true, it makes me wonder how severe the side effects will be for people in their teens.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 29, 2021, 12:25:16 PM
I guess I'm legit now that two weeks have passed since vaccine number two.

My 'legit' time is tomorrow evening.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.