News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Old state abbreviation usage

Started by roadman65, August 05, 2019, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

"Walk on the Wild Side" lyric says Miami F-L-A

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Big John on August 10, 2019, 12:21:18 AM
"Walk on the Wild Side" lyric says Miami F-L-A

But that was for the sake of a rhyme, just like the Beach Boys "Californ-Eye-Yay"
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jp the roadgeek

What drives me crazy is when a state's DOT uses a 2 letter abbreviation, but the 2nd letter is lower case.  A couple of examples:

On the Baltimore Beltway:

https://goo.gl/maps/PtiSXjN2ucy4p8m98

where is York Ma? (and I don't mean Massachusetts)

On US 6 in Providence:

https://goo.gl/maps/eTQEaJigjZBBKyKLA

Is there a street named Hartford Court?
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Brandon

^^ In that same vein, IDOT themselves will use "Il"  instead of Ill or IL on the signage.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

1995hoo

Of course, an exception would be where the "traditional" abbreviation had two letters, such as "Va" or "Md," in which case the lowercase letter is acceptable.

I find it mildly amusing how the abbreviations differ in different contexts. The main legal citation guide (the "Bluebook") uses "Cal." for California, for example.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 10, 2019, 01:41:15 PM
What drives me crazy is when a state's DOT uses a 2 letter abbreviation, but the 2nd letter is lower case.

That's routine for West Virginia. Ky, Md, Pa, and Va are commonly seen.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheHighwayMan3561

I've seen "Minn."  on some signs in Iowa recently on IA 4 and IA 60.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jay8g

WSDOT often uses "Wash." (sometimes without the period on newer signs) in the context of the University of Washington.

sbeaver44

Quote from: hbelkins on August 06, 2019, 04:10:41 PM
Quote from: marleythedog on August 05, 2019, 07:38:50 PM
I know that the approaches to the Fort Steuben Bridge in Steubenville were signed "Weirton, W.Va.," but it's been demolished and I can't find any other examples.

Years ago, I seem to recall some Indiana I-70 signage having a control city of "Columbus, O.H.," which isn't old school so much as just incorrect.

"Huntington. W. Va." is in use on either US 52 or OH 7, or both, just north of the river.
At the beginning of US 48 at I-81, the signs on the ramp list "Wardensville W Va" as the control city

briantroutman

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 10, 2019, 01:41:15 PM
What drives me crazy is when a state's DOT uses a 2 letter abbreviation, but the 2nd letter is lower case.

Abbreviations like Pa. and Md. are arguably not incorrect. Abbreviations aren't all caps; acronyms are. And the fact that the U.S.P.S. standardized two-letter capitalized state codes in 1963 to make room for a ZIP code on envelopes and to make mail sorting easier shouldn't necessarily have a bearing on how the English-speaking world abbreviates states names in visual communications. Most people merely accept the Postal Service's state codes because mailing labels are likely the most common context in which they either write or read state abbreviations. But a document drafted by the Government Printing Office or the Associated Press would still abbreviate Pennsylvania as Pa. or Maryland as Md.

On the other hand, what drives me crazy is when people needlessly print an abbreviation of a single word in all capital letters. A Macintosh is not a MAC, an avenue is not an AVE, and a mister is not a MR.

1995hoo

Quote from: briantroutman on August 11, 2019, 09:14:28 PM

On the other hand, what drives me crazy is when people needlessly print an abbreviation of a single word in all capital letters. A Macintosh is not a MAC, an avenue is not an AVE, and a mister is not a MR.

There are people here in the DC area who insist on writing the word "Metro," referring to the transit system, as "METRO." It's neither an abbreviation nor an acronym–it's simply the name. (The acronym for the transit agency is "WMATA.") I suspect some of them may be older people who saw BART and MARTA, both of which opened their rail systems in the 1970s (Metro opened in 1976), and just assumed these things are written in all-caps.

Then there are some people and media outlets that just do weird things. The New York Times strangely and wrongly insists on inserting periods in even the most standard abbreviations (example: they inexplicably think the NHL and the NFL are the "N.H.L." and the "N.F.L."). But that would lead to very awkward results on acronyms like "NASCAR," so on that one they omit the periods and turn it into a word instead ("Nascar").
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Ian

Not a state, but MaineDOT uses the former abbreviation for Quebec (PQ) along I-95 northbound approaching exit 133 in Fairfield.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 12, 2019, 08:41:50 AM
There are people here in the DC area who insist on writing the word "Metro," referring to the transit system, as "METRO." It's neither an abbreviation nor an acronym–it's simply the name.

For Chicago's commuter rail network, I'm torn.  I want to write it as MetRa as an allusion to the fact that its name comes from Metropolitan Rail.  However, as far as I'm aware, the agency has never stylized its name that way:  it's always been a lowercase r.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bemybear

Penna works my nerves for some reason. 

Not totally related but old US-6 between Scranton and Carbondale is marked on many signs as Scr-C'Dale Hwy.  We like to say it (skurr-ka-dale) but it's pretty awkward looking and sometimes its on enormous signs where the shortening of the name seems superfluous.

webny99

Quote from: briantroutman on August 06, 2019, 12:45:39 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on August 05, 2019, 01:38:45 PM
There used to be an overhead LGS pull-through sign on the former I-95 near Trenton that used "Penna" as the control "city."
There's also the "New York City - VIA PENNA"   signage at the I-80/I-76 "bump"  in Ohio.

I always thought "PENNA" was specific to the Turnpike, i.e., used to refer to the road, not the state. But given that it's used for I-80 there, it's obviously referring to the state, which is disgusting!  X-(

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.