News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 01, 2021, 04:15:13 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on September 01, 2021, 04:11:02 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on September 01, 2021, 04:09:05 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on September 01, 2021, 04:02:07 PM
That's also the first I've heard of the SR 101 project. I agree that those counties need a boost, but man, that's some rough terrain through which to route a new road.

The Heavy Haul Corridor in Utica/Jeffersonville/Charlestown is most definitely a thing. The port down there is the second biggest in the state after Burns Harbor, and there are always big trucks going back and forth down there.

I really hope they just do a divided highway, I worry about ruining the environment in that part of the state for a marginally useful road (interstate being marginally useful).  I wonder if the heavy hall road will become a state road?

The roadway that's already there isn't signed, and I haven't seen anything indicated that it ever will be.

does it have a name at all?

North of 265 it's called River Ridge Pkwy and south of 265 it's called Old Salem Rd. The part that's yet to be constructed will veer SW from Old Salem Rd here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.345966,-85.6661465,3a,75y,175.26h,68.9t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sTxI2A3NZxTcjgPM43x2Asw!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DTxI2A3NZxTcjgPM43x2Asw%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D19.308264%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

I haven't been down there in a while so I don't know if that last segment is still in the works.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

tdindy88

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 01, 2021, 03:37:07 PM
After perusing INDOT's website I have noticed a few new projects I wasnt aware of:

I-67 is apparently actually being taken seriously by INDOT and has its own website: https://midstatescorridor.com/

SR 101 is going to extended 25 miles to connect US 50 to the Markland Dam. https://www.in.gov/indot/div/projects/sr101/

The "Heavy Haul Cooridor" is still a thing in Utica

465 NW (86th to US 31) has its own site and will be having a virtual public meeting soon.

Anyone have any further details on these projects?

Where's the link to the 465 NW website? I'd be very interested in what that shows.

cjw2001

Quote from: tdindy88 on September 01, 2021, 10:40:31 PM
Where's the link to the 465 NW website? I'd be very interested in what that shows.

Here is the info on the virtual meeting:

INDOT to Host Virtual Public Meeting on I-465 Northwest Project in Marion County
INDIANAPOLIS - The Indiana Department of Transportation will host a virtual public information meeting about an upcoming project on the Northwest side of I-465 in Marion County.

The meeting will take place on WebEx on Wednesday, September 8 at 6 p.m. meeting registration link

The project extends on I-465 from 86th Street to U.S. 31 (Meridian St). The project will include an interchange modification at I-465 and I-865.

bmeiser

Quote from: tdindy88 on September 01, 2021, 10:40:31 PM
After perusing INDOT's website I have noticed a few new projects I wasnt aware of:

I-67 is apparently actually being taken seriously by INDOT and has its own website: https://midstatescorridor.com/

SR 101 is going to extended 25 miles to connect US 50 to the Markland Dam. https://www.in.gov/indot/div/projects/sr101/

The "Heavy Haul Cooridor" is still a thing in Utica

465 NW (86th to US 31) has its own site and will be having a virtual public meeting soon.

Anyone have any further details on these projects?

https://www.in.gov/indot/projects/home/i-465-northwest-improvements-project/

evvroads

I wouldn't say I-67 is being taken seriously by INDOT at all. Certainly, they are taking at least semi-seriously some sort of route improvement along the US 231 corridor, but from what I understand, most (all?) of the funding for the Tier 1 EIS is being provided by this "Mid States Corridor Regional Development Authority" and not INDOT. I don't think this project would even be on INDOTs radar if not for this group. If you look at the maps on that website, you'll notice the options for route improvements range from freeway to a super 2. There is zero need for a freeway connection in that area. I think the absolute best anyone in that area can hope for is 1) maybe upgrading US 231 to an expressway (with bypasses of Huntingburg and Jasper) between I-64 and Jasper to match the portion south of I-64 and 2) upgrading US 231 to a super 2 between Jasper and I-69.

I'm (obviously) in Evansville, I have family in Spencer County, and several friends in Dubois County, so it's not like I'm one of those naysayers that think even I-69 was unnecessary. But the idea that INDOT would build a new interstate only 15-20 miles east of the least traveled portion of interstate in the state is laughable to anyone living in reality.

silverback1065

Quote from: evvroads on September 02, 2021, 02:43:36 AM

I wouldn't say I-67 is being taken seriously by INDOT at all. Certainly, they are taking at least semi-seriously some sort of route improvement along the US 231 corridor, but from what I understand, most (all?) of the funding for the Tier 1 EIS is being provided by this "Mid States Corridor Regional Development Authority" and not INDOT. I don't think this project would even be on INDOTs radar if not for this group. If you look at the maps on that website, you'll notice the options for route improvements range from freeway to a super 2. There is zero need for a freeway connection in that area. I think the absolute best anyone in that area can hope for is 1) maybe upgrading US 231 to an expressway (with bypasses of Huntingburg and Jasper) between I-64 and Jasper to match the portion south of I-64 and 2) upgrading US 231 to a super 2 between Jasper and I-69.

I'm (obviously) in Evansville, I have family in Spencer County, and several friends in Dubois County, so it's not like I'm one of those naysayers that think even I-69 was unnecessary. But the idea that INDOT would build a new interstate only 15-20 miles east of the least traveled portion of interstate in the state is laughable to anyone living in reality.

you make a good point  :-D

I-55

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 02, 2021, 10:03:34 PM
Quote from: evvroads on September 02, 2021, 02:43:36 AM

you make a good point  :-D

It's also worth noting that there have been several proposed iterations for I-67. Some proposals included the segment south of Indianapolis, most included the portion north of Indy, and some included both. I would assume that there is more interest in I-67 over US-31 than US-231.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

kennyshark64

Quick question about the Indiana Toll Road (specifically at Exit 121/Howe).  Google Maps says the toll booth is "temporarily closed."  However, directions on Google Maps from Howe to South Bend does include the ITR.  Does anybody know the true status of this toll gate?  Thanks.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: kennyshark64 on September 13, 2021, 01:27:03 PM
Quick question about the Indiana Toll Road (specifically at Exit 121/Howe).  Google Maps says the toll booth is "temporarily closed."  However, directions on Google Maps from Howe to South Bend does include the ITR.  Does anybody know the true status of this toll gate?  Thanks.

Some of the toll booths are no longer manned and require EZ Pass or credit card payment, but I don't think any interchanges are actually closed.

kennyshark64

Quote from: cabiness42 on September 13, 2021, 01:37:22 PM
Quote from: kennyshark64 on September 13, 2021, 01:27:03 PM

Some of the toll booths are no longer manned and require EZ Pass or credit card payment, but I don't think any interchanges are actually closed.

Not an issue.  I'm afraid my EZ Pass is quite operational.  Thanks.

Tom958

Something I stumbled upon a while back: This is a good candidate for peak Indiana. One type of metal guardrail on the bridge, a different type of metal bridge guardrail ground-mounted on the approaches, and, if you pivot to the right, standard W beam guardrail.

https://goo.gl/maps/TbhGShbjZT8FcR2C7

It's gone now. The bridge was rebuilt sometime between 2013 and 2018, with the superstructure being replaced but the bents remaining, and the old metal guardrails didn't survive.

silverback1065

Quote from: Tom958 on September 19, 2021, 08:28:33 AM
Something I stumbled upon a while back: This is a good candidate for peak Indiana. One type of metal guardrail on the bridge, a different type of metal bridge guardrail ground-mounted on the approaches, and, if you pivot to the right, standard W beam guardrail.

It's gone now. The bridge was rebuilt sometime between 2013 and 2018, with the superstructure being replaced but the bents remaining, and the old metal guardrails didn't survive.

Not sure what that type of gaurdrail is called but it's very obsolete now! W-beam and thrie beam are the only 2 you see now.  :-D

Great Lakes Roads

I saw sign goofs on Indiana SR 2 southwest of Valparaiso in a newly-built roundabout at Heavilin Road. They have circular shields, which easily gave me vibes from Delaware!

Revive 755

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 19, 2021, 10:04:08 AM
Quote from: Tom958 on September 19, 2021, 08:28:33 AM

Not sure what that type of gaurdrail is called but it's very obsolete now! W-beam and thrie beam are the only 2 you see now.  :-D

The one looks like a variation of Wyoming rail. 

EB I-70 used to have a somewhat similar guardrail transitions for the Wabash River Bridge.

Illinois used to at least occasionally use the W-beam with the flat (box?) beam beneath it as well.

I-55

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on September 19, 2021, 10:44:38 PM
I saw sign goofs on Indiana SR 2 southwest of Valparaiso in a newly-built roundabout at Heavilin Road. They have circular shields, which easily gave me vibes from Delaware!

There are some circular SR 14 shields on traffic lights east of I-69 on Illinois Rd, used as lane references. Not the first time this has happened in Indiana.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

silverback1065

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on September 19, 2021, 10:44:38 PM

I don't suppose you got a picture?

I'm apparently about to have a lot of time off starting Friday, so maybe I'll go over there and get a picture.

Life in Paradise

nwi_navigator_1181

Speaking of roundabouts...

INDOT will be holding a public forum this week to discuss the proposal of building a roundabout at the intersection of Indiana 130 and Indiana 51 (Cleveland Avenue), located just northeast of Downtown Hobart. If/when work is done, it will be a single-lane roundabout that will also accommodate the Oak Savannah Trail that sits nearby.

The current intersection originally was a four-way stop that has since been signalized. The intersection also has a "spoke"  that allows southbound drivers looking to continue on 51 to skip the traffic light for the right turn. It is also notorious for blind sight lines for left turn drivers and high accident potential due to being unable to see drivers using makeshift runaround lanes to get past left turn traffic. IMO, the roundabout would be a marked improvement over what is currently there. More to come, if anything more materializes.

Indiana 130 is set to reopen within the next week. Resurfacing is complete; all that remains is the finishing touches of the intersections with Porter County Road 600 North, County Road 450 West, and Indiana 149.

The new US 12/20 split is almost set to be open as well. Grading and leveling is complete, and paving should be underway as early as this week. The quality-of-life improvements to the realigned section are scheduled to start next construction season, coinciding with the building of a revamped Miller Station and a second track for the South Shore Line, which will stretch from Gary to Michigan City.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

Crash_It

Anyone have any idea why the *#@#$ I65 is so congested today through most of the state? Ruined my plans today. 

SSOWorld

Quote from: Crash_It on October 10, 2021, 04:45:40 PM
Anyone have any idea why the *#@#$ I65 is so congested today through most of the state? Ruined my plans today. 
You're not the first one.  Won't be the last one.  I had HEAVY traffic from Des Plaines IL to Indy on a Friday in August.  Yes that means I-65.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

SkyPesos

There's a reason why a lot of us on this forum is calling it to be 6 laned, at least the Indy to Chicago section.

NWI_Irish96

Everybody drives through Indiana to avoid Illinois because it's so mountainous.

Crash_It

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 10, 2021, 07:44:42 PM
There's a reason why a lot of us on this forum is calling it to be 6 laned, at least the Indy to Chicago section.

Seems that more of I55 in Illinois is 6 laned than 65 through IN. I've never experienced this before of all the few times I've been to Indy this year. Next time it happens I'll probably take 31 instead or even 41.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Crash_It on October 10, 2021, 08:51:00 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on October 10, 2021, 07:44:42 PM

Seems that more of I55 in Illinois is 6 laned than 65 through IN. I've never experienced this before of all the few times I've been to Indy this year. Next time it happens I'll probably take 31 instead or even 41.
Us 41 to 52 is an alternative from Chicago to Indy. It's 4 laned the entire way as an added bonus.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.