Further proof that GPS turns some (most?) people into true lemmings

Started by roadman, August 30, 2017, 06:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

SectorZ

Awesome. I am going to try that excuse on the Callahan or Sumner on my bike someday. It's such a bitch to get between Boston and Revere on 2 wheels.

kalvado

Probably GPS is a secondary issue here. What are the options for riding a bicycle between Manhattan and NJ? Looks like Washington bridge permits those, but a detour may be long... I would say accepting bicycle delivery between NY and NJ was not so smart idea to begin with...

roadman

Quote from: kalvado on August 30, 2017, 07:36:26 PM
Probably GPS is a secondary issue here. What are the options for riding a bicycle between Manhattan and NJ? Looks like Washington bridge permits those, but a detour may be long... I would say accepting bicycle delivery between NY and NJ was not so smart idea to begin with...

Was he even trying to make a delivery from Manhattan to New Jersey?  And if he wasn't, how did the app screw him up so bad if it routes people looking for local streets in Midtown Manhattan into the Lincoln Tunnel?
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

NE2

GPS also makes people call the freeway from Westwood to Braintree I-93 rather than 128. Fuck GPS.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kalvado

Quote from: roadman on August 30, 2017, 08:06:51 PM

Was he even trying to make a delivery from Manhattan to New Jersey?  And if he wasn't, how did the app screw him up so bad if it routes people looking for local streets in Midtown Manhattan into the Lincoln Tunnel?
A bit more details - and things really look interesting: guy lives in Jersey city, 26 years old, and was delivering to West 22nd Street on Manhattan.
Probably commutes across the river through one of those tunnels on a daily basis, and should have at least some idea about the concept of "tunnel"... No mention of his departure location...

The Nature Boy

Quote from: SectorZ on August 30, 2017, 07:28:43 PM
Awesome. I am going to try that excuse on the Callahan or Sumner on my bike someday. It's such a bitch to get between Boston and Revere on 2 wheels.

I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't survive a bicycle trip through the Callahan or Sumner tunnels.

PHLBOS

Quote from: NE2 on August 30, 2017, 09:38:12 PM
GPS also makes people call the freeway from Westwood Canton to Braintree I-93 rather than 128.
FTFY.   FWIW, 128's current official southern terminus since 1989 in the eyes of MassDOT & its predecessors.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

formulanone

This smells like a publicity stunt more than anything else.

Somehow, this cyclist thought he could deliver food (something someone would prefer fresh, I'm assuming) from one state to another, via tunnel. Unless this fella just got off the boat recently, this doesn't make any sense.

I don't think this is the story the OP is looking for: It's not GPS Madness but a tale of No Bike Lanes Are a Bad Thing and/or These Tolls Are Quite High

SectorZ

:clap:
Quote from: NE2 on August 30, 2017, 09:38:12 PM
GPS also makes people call the freeway from Westwood to Braintree I-93 rather than 128. Fuck GPS.

SectorZ

Quote from: The Nature Boy on August 30, 2017, 10:47:31 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on August 30, 2017, 07:28:43 PM

I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't survive a bicycle trip through the Callahan or Sumner tunnels.

I've barely survived car trips thru them, so I concur.

roadman

Quote from: formulanone on August 31, 2017, 09:22:52 AM

If it's a publicity stunt, then why haven't they named the restaurant the guy was delivering food for?

Somehow, this cyclist thought he could deliver food (something someone would prefer fresh, I'm assuming) from one state to another, via tunnel. Unless this fella just got off the boat recently, this doesn't make any sense.

I don't think this is the story the OP is looking for: It's not GPS Madness but a tale of No Bike Lanes Are a Bad Thing and/or These Tolls Are Quite High

From the original story:

QuoteThe man was taking a suggested route on his phone app (emphasis added) when he entered the tunnel, according to Port Authority spokesman Joseph Pentangelo. ...

...Pentangelo said the man showed officers the app, which supported his claim.

Sounds like a GPS fail to me.

The Nature Boy

I'm interested in what app he was using. I tried to duplicate this in Google Maps and Google Maps just routes bike users onto a ferry and ignores the Lincoln Tunnel.

formulanone

Quote from: roadman on September 01, 2017, 09:34:32 AM
Quote from: formulanone on August 31, 2017, 09:22:52 AM

If it's a publicity stunt, then why haven't they named the restaurant the guy was delivering food for?

I read the article, thanks.

Not all publicity stunts go to plan, could be more of one man's personal gripe with a lack of walking/biking options in the area.

And if was a bit of an unplanned stunt, shouldn't the media have the good sense to remove the name of the restaurant (since it has nothing to do with the issue) to not give attention to them?

In any other case, why the article? Dog bites man.

roadman

Quote from: formulanone on September 01, 2017, 09:43:53 AM

And if was a bit of an unplanned stunt, shouldn't the media have the good sense to remove the name of the restaurant (since it has nothing to do with the issue) to not give attention to them?

Point taken.  However, regardless of whether this was an unplanned stunt or a genuine mistake, if I were the restaurant owner, I would not only fire the guy (for being a total dumb^$$), but I would want everyone to know I have fired him.

kalvado

Quote from: roadman on September 01, 2017, 10:02:19 AM
Quote from: formulanone on September 01, 2017, 09:43:53 AM

Point taken.  However, regardless of whether this was an unplanned stunt or a genuine mistake, if I were the restaurant owner, I would not only fire the guy (for being a total dumb^$$), but I would want everyone to know I have fired him.
While restaurant name was removed - the fact that guy worked for Uber Eats was mentioned a few times. Uber also mentioned they suspended his account. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.