News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Stadiums dominated by fans of the visiting team

Started by KCRoadFan, May 19, 2022, 04:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

They don't play regularly anymore, but when Colorado was still in the Big 12, they used to call the CU Event Center 'Allen Fieldhouse West' because there were so many KU fans from western Kansas where Boulder was closer than Lawrence. It would be 75% KU fans at least.

wriddle082

The most obvious stadium is TIAA Field, home of the Jacksonville Jaguars.  I'm thinking the last time that place ever sold out was Super Bowl XXXIX, which was 17 years ago.

As for the Nashville Predators, they generally have good home crowds all around.  I think many of the Blackhawk fans are likely Nashville-area residents but Chicagoland transplants.  I should know, as a good chunk of my HS graduating class way back in 1990-something were Cubs and/or Bears fans (long before Nashville attracted any pro sports franchises).

Vanderbilt has been jacking up the prices of Kentucky home basketball games for many years, but they still end up with just about an even split of fans it seems.  My brothers and I (Kentucky fans) once went to a game with some friends who were loyal Vandy fans.  Vandy actually won that game, and we let them gloat because they deserved to.  Anyway, I'm not aware of Vandy raising the prices of the football tickets for home games versus Kentucky or Tennessee or other SEC teams whose fans like to travel, but I'm sure they probably ought to do it if they don't already.

jakeroot

Quote from: jakeroot on May 20, 2022, 11:51:33 AM
I went to a Dolphins game in Miami a few years ago (Dec 9, 2018), and it was mostly Pats fans. Made it a great ending.

Want to follow this up: most Dolphins games, the biggest fan base to show up are seats.

tchafe1978

Quote from: hobsini2 on May 19, 2022, 07:36:14 PM
Miller Park in Milwaukee during Cubs games is Wrigley North.

You spelled American Family Field wrong. Twice.

Takumi

Quote from: tchafe1978 on May 21, 2022, 12:11:40 AM

No.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

skluth

Quote from: Takumi on May 21, 2022, 01:32:02 AM

No.

I still think of it as Milwaukee County Stadium.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: skluth on May 22, 2022, 01:32:15 PM

No.

I still think of it as Milwaukee County Stadium.

The current park was never called Milwaukee County Stadium.  It was Miller Park from Day One until it became American Family Field last year. 

Milwaukee County Stadium was the old park.  It was torn down right before Miller Park opened for the 2001 season.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Flint1979

Lol. I still call the White Sox home stadium Comiskey. I still call it the Sears Tower. I don't care I'm use to original names. I still call it the Circle Interchange too.

epzik8

FedExField when the Ravens or Cowboys are there...
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

tchafe1978

No.

Yes.

I can get the emotional attachment to a stadium's name when a stadium was originally named after a person, or geographical feature, and the naming rights get sold. Like selling the naming rights to Lambeau Field would be sacrelige and would never fly. But the Brewers stadium never had a non-corporate name. Miller Park was a fitting name, as it was bought by the largest brewery in a city known for brewing. But Miller decided to not renew the naming rights, and American Family Insurance bought the naming rights instead. Is it the best name? No. I'd prefer something more related to baseball or the city. But it is what it is: Large corporate sponsors throwing their name on a stadium for money.

Now calling the stadium Wrigley North? Aw hell naw!

Sctvhound

In South Carolina, Gamecock games whenever they play at Williams-Brice against Clemson or any SEC East team other than Kentucky or Vandy are filled with the opponent's fans.

There's years where half the crowd is Clemson fans at that game. Georgia and Tennessee usually bring 10,000+ fans, sometimes more.

I have season tickets to College of Charleston basketball games; when we hosted UNC this year, who has a big fan base around here, I'd say 1/3 of my home arena (which seats 5,100) was filled with UNC fans.

We hosted Texas in baseball this year and more than 40% of the stadium (1,600 fans) were rooting for the Longhorns.

Nebraska, Dayton, and St. Bonaventure have big followings no matter where you go too. We have the Charleston Classic here and the years the latter two were in it, the arena was filled up with their fans even though they are small schools.

Bonaventure even brought students down to Charleston. Nebraska filled up half our stadium for a February baseball series a few years back.

SM-G998U

DandyDan

I have heard a few stories about how when Iowa State is bad at football, the other team has more fans there.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Buck87

Probably my favorite one that was kinda random and long distance:

Ohio State @ California in 2013

Henry

During Rivalry Week in college football (and also when arch-rivals meet in basketball), usually the road team's fans will fill at least half of its opponent's stadium. I can't tell you how many times I had to deal with USC fans taking over UCLA's stadium whenever their teams met; I always thought they were very obnoxious in the same way that Red Sox fans think of the Yankees (or Giants fans of the Dodgers).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: DandyDan on May 24, 2022, 07:18:49 AM
I have heard a few stories about how when Iowa State is bad at football, the other team has more fans there.

I would imagine Hawkeyes fans pack Jack Trice Stadium when it's Iowa State's turn to host Cy-Hawk.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ET21

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 19, 2022, 07:33:26 PM
If one of the White Sox/Cubs is very good and the other very bad, the good team's fans will dominate the opposing stadium.

At one point, the Nashville Predators required an in-state address to purchase tickets for home games against the BlackHawks due to being overrun by Chicago fans. Not sure if that's still a policy.

It is in Nashville, they did the same thing with their first round matchup against the Avs this season. I know Carolina also is doing the same this NHL playoff season, Tampa did it in the past.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

gr8daynegb

Packers and Steelers are good as making road games sound like home games with the strong following they have.

Do wish as a Brewers fan that Brewers/Cubs games didn't sound like road games......but it's also cheaper for Cubs fans to get tickets in Milwaukee and have way less a headache making the drive. 
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

triplemultiplex

It is a lot more fun to win at home when the Cubbies are in town. ;)
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

gr8daynegb

Quote from: triplemultiplex on June 01, 2022, 03:25:34 PM

Considering the fans that come on the road are more obnoxious than the ones in their home stadium.  When at Wrigley the Cubs fans there don't act like every hit or home run is a world series winner.  Been to enough Brewers/Cubs games at Miller Park(was still named that at last time I saw one of those games) where whether Cubs are up or down by ten runs anything positive the Cubs do is as exciting as a walkoff. Seems to be just Cubs fans do that as Bulls, White Sox, and Bears fans don't at like this(although saw a White Sox and Cubs fan fight each other outside of Miller Park years ago after Brewers Cubs game).
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Flint1979

Quote from: gr8daynegb on June 01, 2022, 07:11:21 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on June 01, 2022, 03:25:34 PM

Considering the fans that come on the road are more obnoxious than the ones in their home stadium.  When at Wrigley the Cubs fans there don't act like every hit or home run is a world series winner.  Been to enough Brewers/Cubs games at Miller Park(was still named that at last time I saw one of those games) where whether Cubs are up or down by ten runs anything positive the Cubs do is as exciting as a walkoff. Seems to be just Cubs fans do that as Bulls, White Sox, and Bears fans don't at like this(although saw a White Sox and Cubs fan fight each other outside of Miller Park years ago after Brewers Cubs game).
Nah they just go to Wrigley for the party atmosphere. I'd imagine enough of them are drunk enough to not even know what is going on in the game.

Flint1979

Geez just being a bit touchy there. I'll still call it Miller Park too, just like I call the White Sox stadium Comiskey and I'm not the only Sox fan that does.

Declan127

Veterans Stadium has in recent years had more Mets than Phillies fans at some points, and that also sometimes happens in DC. Also, Mets and Yankees fans will usually split Shea and Yankee Stadiums evenly during the Subway Series.
Imma New Yoikah, fuggedaboudit!

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Declan127 on July 28, 2022, 12:19:11 AM
Veterans Stadium has in recent years had more Mets than Phillies fans at some points, and that also sometimes happens in DC. Also, Mets and Yankees fans will usually split Shea and Yankee Stadiums evenly during the Subway Series.

I am guessing this is intentional.

SectorZ

Last time the Yankees came to Fenway, I was a little amazed at how many Yankees fans were there compared to prior years. It was like a ton of Sox fans just unloaded them on StubHub or something.

Enough there to start their classless "Boston Sucks" chant, all the while paying hundreds and thousands to the coffers of the city they are claiming sucks.

bing101

In Los Angeles the LA Clippers Vs. LA Lakers would have fans dominated by the visiting team. This is given that Clippers and Lakers share the same stadium. LA Lakers would dominate Crypto arena when they are labeled as the visiting team because the stadium has the LA Clippers logo on the court.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.