Previous topic - Next topic

Tonytone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 24, 2019, 10:58:28 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on November 24, 2019, 10:49:53 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 24, 2019, 10:47:55 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on November 24, 2019, 10:44:38 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 24, 2019, 10:43:17 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on November 24, 2019, 10:32:42 PM
Wait hol up! Whats wrong with Hamburger helper? It is just a base, you can throw your own mix of ingredients in it. I wouldn't get the crazy flavors they think are "good"  but they have some good recipes & mind you I make most of my foods from scratch.

iPhone

It induces my gag reflex from the memory of my Mom's lesser cooking endeavors.

Speaking of things like that, do we have a thread for "foods that induce vomiting?"
That makes sense, but its been 50 years Max, go cook something!

& no that would be called Acid Reflux.

iPhone

More like twenty years, I'm not quite that old for it to be a half century. 

I'm not talking about acid reflux, I'm talking about foods that actually induce enough nausea that they could make one vomit.  I haven't quite gotten there myself, but there are been a couple food items over the years that got me gagging enough that I was close.
Lmao I was joking. I know what you mean, we dont have a thread like that & you definitely could make one.

& holy quack, 50 years is half a century that is crazy. Il glad you're still young. Young forever!!!

iPhone

That seems more like a Bandit type thread to make and it would probably involve gum somehow.  While I haven't been around for that half century it has been just slightly over 3/8ths of one.  The real thing that ought to spook someone my age is that I'm through half of my life expectancy of an adult male.  Perhaps we could open the floor to discussion about proposals for biological immortality?  I would imagine regenerating telomeres in humans could be quite useful since our growth rate stops.  Cloning technology could be useful if there was some sort of memory download, the real trick is how artificially age your replacement body so one doesn't have to relive childhood.
Interesting enough. I believe in this generation we will see life expectancy pushed to 100+. Thats just with new advances in medicine. Now think about bionic implants, we are looking at 150+ years.

But between this movie https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcendence_(2014_film)

& this game https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_Ex:_Mankind_Divided 

They have a couple kinks to work out with Bionic implants & Uploading people into PCs.

I do believe that is the future tho, but we will have to work out the kinks.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Tonytone

Quote from: US71 on November 24, 2019, 10:58:58 PM
Wait hol up! Whats wrong with Hamburger helper? It is just a base, you can throw your own mix of ingredients in it. I wouldn't get the crazy flavors they think are "good"  but they have some good recipes & mind you I make most of my foods from scratch.

Too much salt, too many preservatives and artificial ingredients. I'd rather make spaghetti sauce from scratch (and have)
I 1000% agree with you 71 & I love natural foods & cooking my own. But sometimes I do not feel like cutting veggies up & doing the other processes it takes at 12am. After I got home from a long ass day. & this is coming from a 21 year old with energy.

iPhone

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Tonytone on November 24, 2019, 11:07:57 PM

iPhone

Speaking of things like that, do we have a thread for "foods that induce vomiting?"

iPhone

I'm not talking about acid reflux, I'm talking about foods that actually induce enough nausea that they could make one vomit.  I haven't quite gotten there myself, but there are been a couple food items over the years that got me gagging enough that I was close.
Lmao I was joking. I know what you mean, we dont have a thread like that & you definitely could make one.

& holy quack, 50 years is half a century that is crazy. Il glad you're still young. Young forever!!!

iPhone

That seems more like a Bandit type thread to make and it would probably involve gum somehow.  While I haven't been around for that half century it has been just slightly over 3/8ths of one.  The real thing that ought to spook someone my age is that I'm through half of my life expectancy of an adult male.  Perhaps we could open the floor to discussion about proposals for biological immortality?  I would imagine regenerating telomeres in humans could be quite useful since our growth rate stops.  Cloning technology could be useful if there was some sort of memory download, the real trick is how artificially age your replacement body so one doesn't have to relive childhood.
Interesting enough. I believe in this generation we will see life expectancy pushed to 100+. Thats just with new advances in medicine. Now think about bionic implants, we are looking at 150+ years.

But between this movie https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcendence_(2014_film)

They have a couple kinks to work out with Bionic implants & Uploading people into PCs.

iPhone

Here is the thing that concerns me most about aging; losing the physical abilities I've worked so hard to obtain through my life.  In my case when I was a kid I had severe asthma and remembered the first 10 years of my life being a malaise of what I couldn't do physically.  When I was in my teens luckily I was able to overcome the problem and be able to participate in sports in addition to outdoor activities.  In my adult life I've become a proficient distance runner, distance hiker and climber.  To this point I haven't seen a decline nor really is even a plateau to what I've been to do, but what I have seen within my own family is incredibly concerning.  Put it this way, I couldn't fathom another segment of my life where I spent the majority of my free time lounging around be unable do things that are physically difficult. 

While things like bionic implants may be in the future, there is no way there they are going to fully stop the progression of aging.  And for someone who has trained their entire life, would you suddenly want the aid of some sort of device to help you do what you no longer can?  About a decade ago I was hit by a car which yielded a compound fracture in my left forearm.  In that particular case I was looking at seriously permanent disability if the arm wouldn't stay set...which it didn't.  Thankfully a plate could be installed and I was able to recover after some long rehab to get the strength in the arm back.  I'm cool with having plate giving me the opportunity to earn my way back from an injury, I don't know how I would feel if I suddenly could just replace the arm entirely a superior cybernetic/bionic replacement. 

One thing I do know, given how little my grand parents could do at the end of their lives I'm not really sure even living in my 80s would be worth it.  All they really ever did past 75 was sit around as body and mind crumbled through the progression of aging finally catching up.

Tonytone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 24, 2019, 11:33:31 PM

iPhone

iPhone

iPhone

iPhone

Here is the thing that concerns me most about aging; losing the physical abilities I've worked so hard to obtain through my life.  In my case when I was a kid I had severe asthma and remembered the first 10 years of my life being a malaise of what I couldn't do physically.  When I was in my teens luckily I was able to overcome the problem and be able to participate in sports in addition to outdoor activities.  In my adult life I've become a proficient distance runner, distance hiker and climber.  To this point I haven't seen a decline nor really is even a plateau to what I've been to do, but what I have seen within my own family is incredibly concerning.  Put it this way, I couldn't fathom another segment of my life where I spent the majority of my free time lounging around be unable do things that are physically difficult. 

While things like bionic implants may be in the future, there is no way there they are going to fully stop the progression of aging.  And for someone who has trained their entire life, would you suddenly want the aid of some sort of device to help you do what you no longer can?  About a decade ago I was hit by a car which yielded a compound fracture in my left forearm.  In that particular case I was looking at seriously permanent disability if the arm wouldn't stay set...which it didn't.  Thankfully a plate could be installed and I was able to recover after some long rehab to get the strength in the arm back.  I'm cool with having plate giving me the opportunity to earn my way back from an injury, I don't know how I would feel if I suddenly could just replace the arm entirely a superior cybernetic/bionic replacement. 

One thing I do know, given how little my grand parents could do at the end of their lives I'm not really sure even living in my 80s would be worth it.  All they really ever did past 75 was sit around as body and mind crumbled through the progression of aging finally catching up.
I agree, but with bionics that should eliminate the problem with aging parts.

What do we notice that fails with aging?

-Are our limbs slowing down or the nerves? I believe it's limbs & not nerves since Ive seen people that are 70 move better then someone who was 50.

-Eyes arent as clear.

-Hair loss.

-Muscle loss.

-Heart

I think our nervous system & wiring have longer life in them lets say 60-80 more years.

Its just the major organs or body parts that seem to fail quicker then we do.

Then the question must be why would our organs fail quicker then our wiring? The food we eat? Pollution? Can medicine reverse the faster damage of important body parts before bionics?

Edit: Also I too have a metal implant, in my wrist from a fracture I acquired from trying to stop my car from rolling & hitting another car. I stopped it, but with my wrist & in between the front of my car (98 Acura Tl) & the side of a (2015 charger). & without that metal implant, Id probably have a hook. Imagine a simple piece of metal saves people, now put some technology into it.

iPhone

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 24, 2019, 09:41:15 PM
Quote from: formulanone on November 24, 2019, 09:24:01 PM
^ The real mystery is missing finger...

Maybe Hamburger Helper guy had to apologize to some Yakuza tuffs.

Hmmm...(the) missing article does make it sound more sinister.

Seriously, I made Hamburger Helper once, and it's one of the most sodium-laden foods I ever ate. Didn't try it again. Just tasted like NaCl and not much else.

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Maybe Hamburger Helper Guy could get a new bionic finger.  :-D

Quote from: Tonytone on November 24, 2019, 11:48:14 PM

iPhone

iPhone

iPhone

iPhone

I agree, but with bionics that should eliminate the problem with aging parts.

What do we notice that fails with aging?

-Are our limbs slowing down or the nerves? I believe it's limbs & not nerves since Ive seen people that are 70 move better then someone who was 50.

-Eyes arent as clear.

-Hair loss.

-Muscle loss.

-Heart

I think our nervous system & wiring have longer life in them lets say 60-80 more years.

Its just the major organs or body parts that seem to fail quicker then we do.

Then the question must be why would our organs fail quicker then our wiring? The food we eat? Pollution? Can medicine reverse the faster damage of important body parts before bionics?

Edit: Also I too have a metal implant, in my wrist from a fracture I acquired from trying to stop my car from rolling & hitting another car. I stopped it, but with my wrist & in between the front of my car (98 Acura Tl) & the side of a (2015 charger). & without that metal implant, Id probably have a hook. Imagine a simple piece of metal saves people, now put some technology into it.

iPhone

No matter what bionic implants won't stop cell death.  So essentially you could have a gradually be replaced by more or parts as vital organs fail and/or die.  While that might have some practical applications for someone who has a disorder, was in an accident or was even replacing an organ that had cancer the prospect of prolonging life for the sake of prolonging it seems morbid to me.  Essentially if things were to reach the level you see in Science Fiction someone literally would become more machine over time as more of their body dies. 

X99

Quote from: Big John on April 24, 3759, 05:35:34 PM
You can use this:

r/sbubby

wait this isn't reddit but can I use this there
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

sparker

Yeah, both deteriorating physical abilities and mental acuity impinge upon one's older existence.  OTOH, each passing day is an ever smaller percentage of your overall life, so you don't treat the passage of time as a problematic issue in itself (at least I've come not to!).  I hit 70 next week, and I'm just now reviving a business that I shut down in 2004 (audio manufacturing -- my OEM clients migrated their production needs to China back then), albeit on a decidedly smaller scale.  But keeping one's self busy during the 8th decade of living seems to be one of the keys to not just shrugging one's shoulders and letting age "do its thing", so to speak.  With bad knee joints and the occasional lower-limb pain, it'd be easy to just kick back and wait for Netflix updates!  But if I don't keep going at a rational pace, I have no doubt I'd be a functional vegetable in 2-3 years (my nurse GF's entreaties notwithstanding).  My business partner is almost 73 and is going in for his 2nd major back surgery (to fix a problem from the 1st back in 2012); I'll probably be buying out his share in a couple of years, since he's more inclined to see retirement as a goal rather than an undesirable alternative.   Fortunately my dad lived to 91, and my mom, despite periodic onset of various illnesses, made it to 80 -- so there's something of a genetic chance that age won't faze me all that much (although I could stand to lose 15-20 pounds so there's less of a burden on my lower limbs!). 

But the upshot of all this is that IMO keeping busy with enterprises that depend upon your own continued "plugging away" may be the key to actually sticking around a bit longer than the normal sell-by date! 

Verlanka

Quote from: formulanone on November 24, 2019, 11:55:11 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 24, 2019, 09:41:15 PM
Quote from: formulanone on November 24, 2019, 09:24:01 PM
^ The real mystery is missing finger...

Maybe Hamburger Helper guy had to apologize to some Yakuza tuffs.

Hmmm...(the) missing article does make it sound more sinister.
Not so much missing as is wrapped up in bandages.

Anyway back on topic...

- Road Sign Hangman

Verlanka

Quote from: Verlanka on November 25, 2019, 04:51:03 AM
Actually, I just realized that Hamburger Helper has four fingers, while Roadkill Helper has five.

1995hoo

Four fingers is the standard in hand-drawn animation, but I don't remember why. Maybe the logo's design is related to that.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Verlanka on November 25, 2019, 04:54:20 AM
Quote from: Verlanka on November 25, 2019, 04:51:03 AM
Actually, I just realized that Hamburger Helper has four fingers, while Roadkill Helper has five.

With a bandaid on the thumb no less.  Are you allowed to go big with apologies and go for an important digit like the thumb or does it have to be the pinky?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on November 25, 2019, 04:45:15 AM

Yeah, both deteriorating physical abilities and mental acuity impinge upon one's older existence.  OTOH, each passing day is an ever smaller percentage of your overall life, so you don't treat the passage of time as a problematic issue in itself (at least I've come not to!).  I hit 70 next week, and I'm just now reviving a business that I shut down in 2004 (audio manufacturing -- my OEM clients migrated their production needs to China back then), albeit on a decidedly smaller scale.  But keeping one's self busy during the 8th decade of living seems to be one of the keys to not just shrugging one's shoulders and letting age "do its thing", so to speak.  With bad knee joints and the occasional lower-limb pain, it'd be easy to just kick back and wait for Netflix updates!  But if I don't keep going at a rational pace, I have no doubt I'd be a functional vegetable in 2-3 years (my nurse GF's entreaties notwithstanding).  My business partner is almost 73 and is going in for his 2nd major back surgery (to fix a problem from the 1st back in 2012); I'll probably be buying out his share in a couple of years, since he's more inclined to see retirement as a goal rather than an undesirable alternative.   Fortunately my dad lived to 91, and my mom, despite periodic onset of various illnesses, made it to 80 -- so there's something of a genetic chance that age won't faze me all that much (although I could stand to lose 15-20 pounds so there's less of a burden on my lower limbs!). 

But the upshot of all this is that IMO keeping busy with enterprises that depend upon your own continued "plugging away" may be the key to actually sticking around a bit longer than the normal sell-by date!

See, I think there is something to that.  My longest living grand parent died in his early 90s despite being the one who retired first because of a stroke.  He was incredibly active in things like golf and speaking at events given he was a former General Motors executive.  Even with all the alcohol problems I think all the stuff he had going on is what kept him going until his legs really just gave out.  On the other side of the family they weren't the least bit worldly and settled into a life of just watching daytime TV.  The decline in mental health was a much steeper slope. 

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 25, 2019, 08:20:37 AM
Quote from: sparker on November 25, 2019, 04:45:15 AM

See, I think there is something to that.  My longest living grand parent died in his early 90s despite being the one who retired first because of a stroke.  He was incredibly active in things like golf and speaking at events given he was a former General Motors executive.  Even with all the alcohol problems I think all the stuff he had going on is what kept him going until his legs really just gave out.  On the other side of the family they weren’t the least bit worldly and settled into a life of just watching daytime TV.  The decline in mental health was a much steeper slope. 

When I worked at a dealership with a lot of older customers, a lot of them (maybe one-third) told me that they couldn't stand retirement after about 6 to 24 months. These were mostly well-heeled to upper-middle-class retirees which could afford a nice luxury car and usually did not have labor-intensive careers in their past, but many of them were willing to either donate their time or even doing something simple for the sake of being out in society.

I think some of them just wondered/worried if they'd outlive their savings, their circle of friends became too limited, or tired of their spouse. Or they were genuinely bored after playing the same rounds of golf, swimming, tennis, watching too much TV, and having mostly no place to go other than to catch an early-bird special. A lot of them said that they needed to keep their mind sharp, and maybe after you've had a career where you felt successful about making decisions and solving problems, you don't want to be limited in your choices.

I can see where someone who really thrown their body into their work for 40 years might not feel the same way, or that it might be tough for those living paycheck-to-paycheck to even ponder retirement in the first place.

hbelkins

I've had a number of varieties of Hamburger Helper. Not bad.

Tuna Helper, on the other hand, was just nasty. I was "one and done" with it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Tonytone

Quote from: Brandon on November 25, 2019, 02:17:54 PM
Recipes for how to serve FritzOwl.
Hamburger Helper Highway edition. (Comes with a map of proposed Fritzowl Highways & a Tire toy)

iPhone

kphoger

Quote from: Brandon on November 25, 2019, 02:17:54 PM
how to serve FritzOwl.

It's nice to see someone on here with a servant's heart.   :thumbsup:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hbelkins on November 25, 2019, 04:08:43 PM
Does (fritz)owl taste like chicken?

No, no it's chicken that tastes like FritzOwl. 

TheGrassGuy

Complete I-69 Canada to Mexico Road Trip
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 25, 2019, 08:44:39 PM
https://twitter.com/floridacrazyy/status/1199123602047750145?s=21

You just fell for fake news, take a bow. That URL takes you to a fake news generator, which would be funny but for all the dumb ad redirecting.

Max Rockatansky

^^^

What is up with the California State Route Florida State Road 97 shield?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.