Regional Boards > Mountain West

Phoenix "Frankensigns"

<< < (2/3) > >>

Breadman17:

--- Quote from: pderocco on September 22, 2023, 04:36:33 AM ---More likely the new layer that had the correct symbols on it fell off.

--- End quote ---

Interesting. I don't know why I didn't think of this. Just such an odd phenomenon i didn't even think about it rationally. I'll go investigate the current sign tonight!

machias:
The I-10 EB advanced guide sign for Casa Grande is falling apart from a recent accent and half the legend is a pull thru overhead for I-10 EB with an Exit Only black on yellow panel (at least as of two weeks ago)

roadfro:

--- Quote from: Breadman17 on September 22, 2023, 07:11:44 PM ---
--- Quote from: pderocco on September 22, 2023, 04:36:33 AM ---More likely the new layer that had the correct symbols on it fell off.

--- End quote ---

Interesting. I don't know why I didn't think of this. Just such an odd phenomenon i didn't even think about it rationally. I'll go investigate the current sign tonight!

--- End quote ---

At least for AZ 101 northbound at exit 42, you can tell the sign was completely replaced between Street View captures in November 2022 and April 2023. The earlier sign is wider and the latter sign is narrower. (There's also a change between April 2021 and December 2021, because the former has Clearview numbers but the latter appears to have FHWA numbers.)

It looks like ADOT uses extruded signs, so the backing of the exit gore sign is likely recycled from an old overhead sign and cut to the size of an exit gore sign. Then the exit gore sign legend is either sheeted over that or applied to a thin aluminum blank affixed atop the old sign legend (effectively "greening out" the whole sign). The latter explanation would make more sense to me, especially because an errant vehicle accidentally striking the gore sign could jar it enough to knock the green out panels off, exposing the old sign underneath. Slapping up a new sign face on top of old extruded sign panels would appear to be a quick fix for gore signs that have a high frequency of being struck, so some "Frankensign" instances might be common for this application.

machias:

--- Quote from: machias on September 22, 2023, 07:45:42 PM ---The I-10 EB advanced guide sign for Casa Grande is falling apart from a recent accent and half the legend is a pull thru overhead for I-10 EB with an Exit Only black on yellow panel (at least as of two weeks ago)

--- End quote ---

I drove through there again this weekend. It was the 1/2 mile advance sign for the Casa Grande access, and has been removed by ADOT, probably because of the "Tucson" and "Exit Only" down arrow legend that was showing.

AzNate:

--- Quote from: roadfro on September 25, 2023, 05:22:53 PM ---The latter explanation would make more sense to me, especially because an errant vehicle accidentally striking the gore sign could jar it enough to knock the green out panels off, exposing the old sign underneath.

--- End quote ---

This explanation seems likely. I came across this sign at US 60 EB at Gilbert Rd back in August where the remnants of an old BGS are visible after someone ran into the gore sign.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version