Regional Boards > Mid-Atlantic

West Virginia Turnpike

<< < (24/27) > >>

Dirt Roads:

--- Quote from: Bitmapped on October 16, 2023, 12:09:05 PM ---FWIW, old gold and blue are the official colors of the state itself, not just WVU.

--- End quote ---

WVU changed over from the official old gold and blue to Don Nehlen's "Dark Beloo and Brite Yaller" back in 1980, the same time as the Flying WV hit the side of the football helmets.  There's been a few color tweaks along the way, but I was surprised that this year WVU has switched back to colors much closer to the official state colors.  It is interesting that the brand-new colors used on the Yeager Bridge are already a throwback to the past.

By the way, my wife (who is indeed from North Carolina) can't stand how most of us West Virginians pronounce the word "color".  To me, it sounds the same as "collar" and "caller".  To her and other Southerners, all three of those words are pronounced differently.  Which leads me back to how West Virginians say "pernownzed".  For some reason, that one doesn't bother her.

Bitmapped:

--- Quote from: Dirt Roads on October 16, 2023, 09:32:09 PM ---
--- Quote from: Bitmapped on October 16, 2023, 12:09:05 PM ---FWIW, old gold and blue are the official colors of the state itself, not just WVU.

--- End quote ---

WVU changed over from the official old gold and blue to Don Nehlen's "Dark Beloo and Brite Yaller" back in 1980, the same time as the Flying WV hit the side of the football helmets.  There's been a few color tweaks along the way, but I was surprised that this year WVU has switched back to colors much closer to the official state colors.  It is interesting that the brand-new colors used on the Yeager Bridge are already a throwback to the past.

--- End quote ---

I can't speak to athletics uniforms, but the colors used by WVU itself for branding and marketing haven't changed. They're the exact same Pantone colors they've been for 20+ years.

seicer:
Old Gold and Blue have also been the official colors of the state since March 8, 1963. Those colors in the state seal had been used since the state's independence in 1863.

WVU's colors were derived from the state seal in 1890.

I haven't found anything about the 1980 reference other than Niehlen working to get WVU logo adopted with the Old Gold and Blue scheme. Previously, players had helmets that were gold (not Old Gold, too) and bore the state's outline with the letters WVU in an oval. It's one of my favorite logos, personally.

Black-Man:

--- Quote from: Bitmapped on November 28, 2022, 09:33:20 AM ---I don't believe I ever saw a specific route planned, although the discussions talked about a connector as well so I'm assuming its's not at an existing crossing of the Turnpike. Something that left US 19 right by the WV 3 intersection and followed Whitby Road and Left Fork Beaver Creek over to the Turnpike would seem to make sense.

--- End quote ---

I have a feeling this plan is going to be revisited with the 8 data centers on 400 acres and its 600 employees going in off of US19 south of Shady. Funny how the awarding of the contract to add a single lane to US19 was in October and is already inadequate. Projects of this size usually come with highway and infrastructure enhancements as part of the announcement. Otherwise, local opposition gets vocal when congestion is already added to a congested area and the first zoning hearing was not a good look for the WV DOH as they were a no-show.

seicer:
Wouldn't the Fayette/Raleigh MPO (FRM) be more involved at this level than WVDOH? The organization would have more intimate knowledge of what is needed. But projects like the US 19 corridor improvements have been many years in the planning/study, with improvements along the corridor proposed by the FRM (unsure if the contracts are let yet). But just as important, a contract to build the south leg of the "Z Way" Beckley bypass from Interstate 64 south towards Shady Spring was awarded in November: https://transportation.wv.gov/communications/PressRelease/Pages/WVDOH_awards_contracts_for_Beckley_ZWay_and_other_work.aspx

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version