News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NYC Roads

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 02, 2015, 03:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgolub

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on May 31, 2016, 05:00:14 PM
There was a spot replacement project for various BGS around the 5 boroughs including the remaining non-reflective button copy on I-295 NB.  Are these gone yet?

If they are, then it's very recent, within the last couple of months.  They were still there the last time that I was through there.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: dgolub on June 01, 2016, 08:49:02 AM
Quote from: Mergingtraffic on May 31, 2016, 05:00:14 PM

If they are, then it's very recent, within the last couple of months.  They were still there the last time that I was through there.

Willets Point Blvd is gone.  I-295 sign was still there last week.

I wonder when sign replacements will come for the FDR and Van Wyck?  FDR still has non-reflective button copy while the Van Wyck has reflective button copy around I-495 and just north of the Belt.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

dgolub

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on June 15, 2016, 05:31:07 PM
Willets Point Blvd is gone.  I-295 sign was still there last week.

I wonder when sign replacements will come for the FDR and Van Wyck?  FDR still has non-reflective button copy while the Van Wyck has reflective button copy around I-495 and just north of the Belt.

No idea.  The exit for West 96 Street from the southbound FDR Drive has had temporary orange construction signage for almost six years, even though there hasn't been any construction going on there for most of the time.

cl94

Van Wyck has a major project at the Kew Gardens interchange starting this fall. Signs are probably lumped in with that.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

D-Dey65

I don't know if anyone is aware of this, but the other morning, I actually made good time on the Cross Bronx Expressway!! :colorful:  :-o   :awesomeface:

No, really! I must've got from the Throgs Neck to Fort Lee in 20 minutes or something.

I wouldn't believe me either, but I did. Of course it was before 6:00 A.M., so I assume that had something to do with it.

cl94

Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 01, 2016, 09:45:07 PM
I don't know if anyone is aware of this, but the other morning, I actually made good time on the Cross Bronx Expressway!! :colorful:  :-o   :awesomeface:

No, really! I must've got from the Throgs Neck to Fort Lee in 20 minutes or something.

I wouldn't believe me either, but I did. Of course it was before 6:00 A.M., so I assume that had something to do with it.

I once did that in 10-15 minutes. Yes, it was in the middle of the night.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

storm2k

Quote from: cl94 on July 01, 2016, 11:25:30 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 01, 2016, 09:45:07 PM

I once did that in 10-15 minutes. Yes, it was in the middle of the night.

It can be done at odd times of day too, when conditions are right. I've actually cruised the entire length of the Cross Bronx without much hassle, at like 11am or so.

Duke87

Destiny has been fulfilled:
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

NJRoadfan

Now they got to take it down and replace it with one in the correct font :P. If the boro color coded signs couldn't stay up, the Clearview ones gotta go too. ;)

ixnay

Duke87, where was that Clearview Clearview sign blade taken?

ixnay

P.S.  In the past on this site, I half joked about signs on the Clearview in Clearview.  I didn't mean street corner blades, though, but actual exit signs on I-295 itself.

Duke87

Quote from: ixnay on July 10, 2016, 07:10:36 PM
Duke87, where was that Clearview Clearview sign blade taken?

That particular one was on the southbound service road at 42nd Ave. There are at least a couple others in the area, though, including one at Northern Blvd.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alps

Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 10, 2016, 06:49:56 PM
Now they got to take it down and replace it with one in the correct font :P. If the boro color coded signs couldn't stay up, the Clearview ones gotta go too. ;)
Then they have to rename it the Gothic Highway. :-D

storm2k

Quote from: Alps on July 10, 2016, 11:49:38 PM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 10, 2016, 06:49:56 PM
Then they have to rename it the Gothic Highway. :-D

That's actually a cool name for a road.

KEVIN_224

Gothic Highway in Gotham...that sounds awesome! :D

MikeCL

I have to ask when is the work on the Van Wyck ever going to be completed? I've gone back and forth many of times and I've never seen anything done other then they finally repainted the lines coming off the JRP

iPhone

MikeCL

Was on the FDR yesterday I'm guessing a car that was stopped in the first lane sent everyone getting off Houston st the fastest I ever got to the Brooklyn Bridge on a Sunday.. But I have to ask whats up with the electric board not showing the avg travel time in like I'm guessing a month now?

And how do they get the avg travel time?

mariethefoxy

Average times on the FDR in rush hour

Queensboro BR - FOREVER
Manhattan Br - ETERNITY
Brooklyn Br - WHEN HELL FREEZES OVER

MikeCL

That's the only way I can think of that's faster to get to Cadman plaza W unless i'm missing something else.. it always sucks to have to deal with the traffic.

cl94

Quote from: mariethefoxy on July 18, 2016, 01:01:01 PM
Average times on the FDR in rush hour

Queensboro BR - FOREVER
Manhattan Br - ETERNITY
Brooklyn Br - WHEN HELL FREEZES OVER

That was today on the Van Wyck, Lincoln Tunnel, and Cross Bronx. Pedestrian hit on the Van Wyck, XBL crash in the tunnel, and a crash on the CBX.

MikeCL

Last night coming home from seeing my GF some asshole on the JRP heading towards Queens flashed me because he wanted me to go faster and when I did not he sped up just before the last on ramp before the squeeze (I call it that) and at that time I had just moved over to the left lane because I did not want him running into me but he rammed himself right in front of a car as he ran out of merge space we all braked.. I for sure thought it was going to be a crash.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: MikeCL on July 18, 2016, 03:14:25 PM
Last night coming home from seeing my GF some asshole on the JRP heading towards Queens flashed me because he wanted me to go faster and when I did not he sped up just before the last on ramp before the squeeze (I call it that) and at that time I had just moved over to the left lane because I did not want him running into me but he rammed himself right in front of a car as he ran out of merge space we all braked.. I for sure thought it was going to be a crash.

In other words, your drive was 'normal'!!!

At least you got out of the way.  Best thing you could do in such a situation.

MikeCL

It was just crazy I'd hate to see what would have happened if it was raining...

iPhone

mariethefoxy

were you in the left lane and he was trying to get past you?

Also on teh Belt Parkway there is one Button copy sign left, The westbound Exit 9 sign for Knapp St just past the lane shift back to normal from the new higher bridge.

Also they are making progress in replacing that diabolical drawbridge thankfully.

MikeCL

Quote from: mariethefoxy on September 10, 2016, 04:13:25 PM
were you in the left lane and he was trying to get past you?

Also on teh Belt Parkway there is one Button copy sign left, The westbound Exit 9 sign for Knapp St just past the lane shift back to normal from the new higher bridge.

Also they are making progress in replacing that diabolical drawbridge thankfully.
Yeah I was already in the left lane

iPhone

Mergingtraffic

Any updates to the replacement of signs in the NYC boroughs?  There were projects on the clearview and NY-440 to replace old signage.   Also, I see spot replacements over the past year on the FDR.  I haven't been down that way lately.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.