Guess the speed limit challenge

Started by Roadgeekteen, May 09, 2021, 10:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

doorknob60

jakeroot

andrepoiy

Ketchup99

jakeroot

Welp, that's all of the logical guesses. This is tough.

Ketchup99

Just so that everyone's on the same page, and I should have specified this earlier - the speed limit is divisible by 5, it's not one of those weird 43mph or 51mph or whatever speed limits.

jakeroot

Quote from: Ketchup99 on August 05, 2021, 01:55:16 PM
Just so that everyone's on the same page, and I should have specified this earlier - the speed limit is divisible by 5, it's not one of those weird 43mph or 51mph or whatever speed limits.

Well, that is a rule of the game...

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 09, 2021, 10:34:46 PM
..You have to reveal if it's mph or kph. The speed limit has to be divisible by 5.

The point of my post just above was to highlight that the limit is either stupidly low or stupidly high.

Ketchup99

Gotcha, and yes, yes, it's stupidly low or high.

Bruce

I guess it's 25 mph in a city that has lowered its speed limits on arterials?

sprjus4

Ketchup99

jakeroot

SkyPesos

Guess I'll take my second attempt now 24 hours have passed...

20 mph?

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Ketchup99

It's not 20. But somehow, impossibly, it's 65. It's the Centre City Parkway in Escondido, California. It's a 65 zone because it's a state highway, and the city decided it would be more of a pain to go through a speed study to get it changed than it would be to leave the speed limit 65 and leave it unposted. Roadgeekteen, you're up next.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Ketchup99 on August 05, 2021, 11:39:43 PM
It's a 65 zone because it's a state highway, and the city decided it would be more of a pain to go through a speed study to get it changed than it would be to leave the speed limit 65 and leave it unposted.
This is the definition of lazy.

kphoger

It's not 20. But somehow, impossibly, it's 65. It's the Centre City Parkway in Escondido, California. It's a 65 zone because it's a state highway, and the city decided it would be more of a pain to go through a speed study to get it changed than it would be to leave the speed limit 65 and leave it unposted. Roadgeekteen, you're up next.

Here is the location, and–from looking up and down the road in GSV–I gather that the city took the sneaky approach of simply not posting any speed limit signs along the road.  I mean, unless I'm missing something, the closest thing to speed limit signs are yellow diamond warning signs that say "CROSS TRAFFIC AHEAD".
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Ketchup99

...leave the speed limit 65 and leave it unposted.

Quote from: kphoger on August 06, 2021, 11:21:11 AM
Here is the location, and–from looking up and down the road in GSV–I gather that the city took the sneaky approach of simply not posting any speed limit signs along the road.  I mean, unless I'm missing something, the closest thing to speed limit signs are yellow diamond warning signs that say "CROSS TRAFFIC AHEAD".

Yup, that's exactly what they did. Most people probably assume the limit is something in the 40-50 range, and drive accordingly. But in reality, if you wanted to drive down that road at 65, nothing the cops could do.

LilianaUwU

That's what this thread is for. Good one, Ketchup99.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

plain

Quote from: Ketchup99 on August 04, 2021, 09:33:16 PM
Okay, here's mine:

Here is the location

Totally off topic but I have a quick question about the signals. How common are red orbs (and also yellow orbs in this case) used for protected only lefts in CA instead of red arrows? I know it's a 3M PV but I've seen plenty of them with all arrows elsewhere and I didn't think CA used orbs for lefts.
Newark born, Richmond bred

SkyPesos

Quote from: plain on August 06, 2021, 02:37:15 PM
Quote from: Ketchup99 on August 04, 2021, 09:33:16 PM
Okay, here's mine:

Here is the location

Totally off topic but I have a quick question about the signals. How common are red orbs (and also yellow orbs in this case) used for protected only lefts in CA instead of red arrows? I know it's a 3M PV but I've seen plenty of them with all arrows elsewhere and I didn't think CA used orbs for lefts.
I think they're older signals that haven't been replaced. Red arrows for protected lefts haven't been that widespread before the 2009 MUTCD I think.

jakeroot

Quote from: SkyPesos on August 06, 2021, 03:04:08 PM
Quote from: plain on August 06, 2021, 02:37:15 PM

I think they're older signals that haven't been replaced. Red arrows for protected lefts haven't been that widespread before the 2009 MUTCD I think.

Oh no no, quite the opposite. On the West coast at least, red arrows have been very widespread for decades (though not in every state).

That said, the earliest protected lefts in California used 8-8-12 signals: 8-inch red and yellow, 12-inch green arrow, all post-mounted in medians (one near-side, one far-side). There would have been a period where they transitioned to all 12-inch signals and partial overhead mounting, but where not all faces were left arrows. It did not take long before all-arrow signals became the norm. This intersection is fairly unusual and I suspect it may have been one of the earlier overhead conversions.

Roadgeekteen

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.