News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Major tornado outbreak expected today

Started by US 89, May 20, 2019, 02:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Northside

Quote from: ilpt4u on June 24, 2019, 02:11:26 PM
Quote from: Brandon on June 24, 2019, 01:40:00 PM
Actually, certain cable companies (Comcast, I'm looking directly at you) take over your entire TV so you only see the EAS stuff and have no chance to look at another channel, say, the Weather Channel if you want to see the coverage and the radar.  Had that happen one day in my area.  I gave up and turned off the TV so I could look at the radar on the internet (NWS).
Not just Comcast. Mediacom does it, too. I'm sure others do as well

EAS also hijacks my Verizon FiOS DVR - and clears out whatever is in "memory" for lack of a better word.  Not stuff I have directed to be actually recorded, but say I just hit "pause" on whatever I'm watching live - it will go for close to an hour before it unpauses itself.
Anyway, if I get 20 mins behind, and start to catch up and an EAS alert/test comes on, once it is done, everything is cleared and the show resumes "live".   This has gotten me legit pissed on more than one occasion.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

thspfc

Quote from: Mr_Northside on June 24, 2019, 02:20:40 PM
Actually, certain cable companies (Comcast, I'm looking directly at you) take over your entire TV so you only see the EAS stuff and have no chance to look at another channel, say, the Weather Channel if you want to see the coverage and the radar.  Had that happen one day in my area.  I gave up and turned off the TV so I could look at the radar on the internet (NWS).

EAS also hijacks my Verizon FiOS DVR - and clears out whatever is in "memory" for lack of a better word.  Not stuff I have directed to be actually recorded, but say I just hit "pause" on whatever I'm watching live - it will go for close to an hour before it unpauses itself.
Anyway, if I get 20 mins behind, and start to catch up and an EAS alert/test comes on, once it is done, everything is cleared and the show resumes "live".   This has gotten me legit pissed on more than one occasion.
This happened during the USA vs Portugal game in the 2014 World Cup. When it cut out, it was tied 1-1, and then when it came back on USA was ahead 2-1. I was mad about missing the goal.

vdeane

One more reason why I'm glad I don't have cable.  If they're just showing the alert, any reason they couldn't instead do it as a banner on the bottom of the screen instead of preempting the entire TV?  That's what my local TV station does if all there is to broadcast is the alert - with three quick high-pitched tones if the alert changes.  They only preempt if they need to do radar/commentary.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

allniter89

Quote from: Mr_Northside on June 24, 2019, 02:20:40 PM

Pisses me off 2!! The volume of the EAS is way too loud so I cant hear my program! Why the hell cant they do that in the wee hours when it wouldnt bother so many people?
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

ce929wax

Some of radio stations around here do their EAS test in the middle of the night.  The tone can give me the heebie jeebies, so if I am already asleep it is OK, but if it comes on while I am laying down and trying to sleep, it usually gives me a panic attack.

Beltway

Quote from: ce929wax on August 09, 2019, 11:45:55 PM
Some of radio stations around here do their EAS test in the middle of the night.  The tone can give me the heebie jeebies, so if I am already asleep it is OK, but if it comes on while I am laying down and trying to sleep, it usually gives me a panic attack.

WRVA 1140 only does it during program time, they never do it during commercials or during the top and bottom of the hour news breaks.

Sickening.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Scott5114

Quote from: Beltway on August 10, 2019, 12:51:49 AM
Quote from: ce929wax on August 09, 2019, 11:45:55 PM

WRVA 1140 only does it during program time, they never do it during commercials or during the top and bottom of the hour news breaks.

Sickening.

Naturally–commercial time, they're making bank. They wouldn't bother to have program time at all if they thought they could get people to watch without it.

Capitalism!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.