NBC Sports Network to shut down at the end of 2021

Started by kevinb1994, January 24, 2021, 06:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: kevinb1994 on January 28, 2021, 06:24:32 PM
Quote from: ftballfan on January 28, 2021, 04:03:25 PM
Kind of odd that NBCSN is shutting down just before the 2022 Winter Olympics, which NBC has the rights to. I thought any shutdown date wouldn't happen until after that event concludes a little over a year from now.
Wouldn't the Olympic Channel serve that purpose?

NBC uses all of its channels for an Olympic Games, NBC, NBCSN, Olympics, USA, CNBC, MSNBC, even Golf Channel for Summer Olympics Golf. Winter doesn't have nearly as many events as Summer, so they can get by without NBCSN for that. For future Summer Olympics, some events probably get pushed to streaming only.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Billy F 1988

You think back to how bad ESPN's coverage of NASCAR was. Sure, Bestwick helped keep it afloat somewhat, but at the very end, it didn't sustain them. The old guard that's been with us for years is dying out. We're gonna have to come up with some creative ways to continue consuming live programming in some capacity, and if television is not the platform anymore, what other platforms do we need besides the uber expensive streaming services to continue consuming live programming in general? Or have we come to a point in broadcasting history where TV is just dead outright and it's just a living festering husk of what it formerly was?
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

snowc

What will that mean for SNF? SB LVI?
The peacock network seems to be going down in the dumps every day. Like in the Garfield and friends show where Garfield said NBC has nothing on for children. They had Saved by The Bell, but that fell through the wayside, and sure enough, discontinued Soap operas. My mother has been watching Days of Our Lives since it came on in the 60s, and that's the ONLY daytime show we have so far for NBC.
For those who don't know who Garfield is and the respective show, Garfield and Friends, its a comic book character and he is a fat, lazy and cynical orange cat who hates Mondays, absolutely LOVES lasagna, and likes to destroy the mailman. Its respective show, Garfield and Friends, was a TV show in the late 80s-early 90s that features Garfield doing crazy things and has three segments.
I know that this is not in the right forum, but still, were talking TV.  :popcorn:

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 24, 2021, 08:34:55 PM
Looks like NASCAR is moving to USA.  Hopefully ESPN can reacquire the broadcast rights, it was way better there anyways.

maybe this changed over the years... but i want to say not all tv carriers carried nbcsn, which meant i missed like half the season of nascar. i think a lot of the problem is that there's like 3 million sports networks, and not enough sports, which is why we see people playing cards on espn now.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: snowc on February 08, 2021, 11:11:56 AM
The peacock network seems to be going down in the dumps every day. Like in the Garfield and friends show where Garfield said NBC has nothing on for children. They had Saved by The Bell, but that fell through the wayside, and sure enough, discontinued Soap operas. My mother has been watching Days of Our Lives since it came on in the 60s, and that's the ONLY daytime show we have so far for NBC.
For those who don't know who Garfield is and the respective show, Garfield and Friends, its a comic book character and he is a fat, lazy and cynical orange cat who hates Mondays, absolutely LOVES lasagna, and likes to destroy the mailman. Its respective show, Garfield and Friends, was a TV show in the late 80s-early 90s that features Garfield doing crazy things and has three segments.
I know that this is not in the right forum, but still, were talking TV.  :popcorn:

Sunday Night Football and the Super Bowl (when it's NBC's turn) both air on NBC broadcast network. That isn't likely to change.

Peacock is struggling because Comcast/NBC Universal does not have a film catalog comparable to ABC/Disney, Netflix, or CBS/Paramount. Letting Disney get 21st/FOX was really bad for them. Making a bid for Sony wouldn't be a bad idea for

Moving some sports content to Peacock is an attempt to keep it afloat. Shutting down NBCSN is a coincidental move that helps "justify" moving that content.

What I think ultimately happen is that TV providers as we know them go away, and the major content providers package channels+content directly to users. The technology is essentially already in place.

snowc

Quote from: cabiness42 on February 08, 2021, 11:28:01 AM

Sunday Night Football and the Super Bowl (when it's NBC's turn) both air on NBC broadcast network. That isn't likely to change.

Peacock is struggling because Comcast/NBC Universal does not have a film catalog comparable to ABC/Disney, Netflix, or CBS/Paramount. Letting Disney get 21st/FOX was really bad for them. Making a bid for Sony wouldn't be a bad idea for

Moving some sports content to Peacock is an attempt to keep it afloat. Shutting down NBCSN is a coincidental move that helps "justify" moving that content.

What I think ultimately happen is that TV providers as we know them go away, and the major content providers package channels+content directly to users. The technology is essentially already in place.
That's good to know. I knew Peacock was going to fail.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: snowc on February 08, 2021, 11:47:06 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on February 08, 2021, 11:28:01 AM

That's good to know. I knew Peacock was going to fail.

It better not fail before the next season of Yellowstone comes out.

Chris

SP Cook

The free part of Peacock is not that bad.  Its not Netflix, but it has a nice library, and then it has linear channels, including one for sports, that present adult, non-political sports talk during weekdays, rather than the all-NBA, all-race, and all-politics spewed out by ESPN and Fox Sports One.

golden eagle

Bumping this up...

NBCSN has gone away. The Premier League is now on USA, as well as some college basketball. USA needed to expand its horizons beyond Law & Order: SVU and NCIS.

Billy F 1988

Quote from: golden eagle on January 26, 2022, 04:14:22 PM
Bumping this up...

NBCSN has gone away. The Premier League is now on USA, as well as some college basketball. USA needed to expand its horizons beyond Law & Order: SVU and NCIS.

They also do the Stanley Cup Playoffs. I don't know if they'll pick up extended NASCAR coverage now that NBCSN is done and away because I am uncertain if the TV deal has been changed to reflect NBCSN's closure.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

74/171FAN

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on January 27, 2022, 11:15:01 PM
Quote from: golden eagle on January 26, 2022, 04:14:22 PM
Bumping this up...

They also do the Stanley Cup Playoffs. I don't know if they'll pick up extended NASCAR coverage now that NBCSN is done and away because I am uncertain if the TV deal has been changed to reflect NBCSN's closure.

The 2022 schedule already shows the NASCAR races that will be on USA.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

SP Cook

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on January 27, 2022, 11:15:01 PM
They also do the Stanley Cup Playoffs. I don't know if they'll pick up extended NASCAR coverage now that NBCSN is done.

The NHL's contract with NBC expired after last season, NHL, including the playoffs, are now on ESPN and TNT (with some extra content streaming on ESPN+ and HBO Max).

As to NASCAR, the contract runs through 24, and in the "we screwed this sport up so much we cannot even get a title sponsor"  Cup series (the top level), 11 races will be on USA Network, 9 on NBC.  In the second tier Xfinity (also a Comcast company) series, 15 will be on USA Network, and 4 on NBC.    Most qualifying and wrap around will be on Peacock. 

As to the, still not run by idiots like NASCAR is, Indy Car Series, 14 races on NBC, 2 on USA and one (if its held, its in Toronto) only on Peacock.

Henry

I wonder what will replace NBCSN in the cable lineup, now that it's just a blank channel? New networks pop up all the time, so I don't think it'll stay that way for too long.

Guess we'll have to see how long CBSSN can stay on...
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

bwana39

Quote from: Henry on January 28, 2022, 10:12:56 AM
I wonder what will replace NBCSN in the cable lineup, now that it's just a blank channel? New networks pop up all the time, so I don't think it'll stay that way for too long.

I think the fact that streaming is overtaking traditional cable is a bigger part. The survival of cable networks is based on the local cable operator's willingness / ability to pay for it. I dumped cable 4 years ago. This is the first NFL season where the NFL games have been available to stream.

NBC is running the olympics on Peacock as opposed to other places.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: bwana39 on January 28, 2022, 10:20:27 AM

I think the fact that streaming is overtaking traditional cable is a bigger part. The survival of cable networks is based on the local cable operator's willingness / ability to pay for it. I dumped cable 4 years ago. This is the first NFL season where the NFL games have been available to stream.

NBC is running the olympics on Peacock as opposed to other places.

I think the Olympics on on the free part of Peacock so you don't have to subscribe to be able to watch. Plus USA is still running Olympic events nearly 24/7 and NBC broadcast has prime time and late night coverage in case you don't have a wi-fi connection fast enough to stream.

SP Cook

IMHO, the shut down on NBCSN has as much to do with the weakness of the "general rerun"  group of channels, as it does with NBCSN itself.  Channels like TNT, TBS, FX, BBCA, and, in this instance USA.  These channels, built on endless reruns of 90s and 00s network shows, are losing value for several reasons.

- Mostly, everyone who wanted to see the shows caught them in their first 10000 showings.
- Similar is available, for free, on streaming services like Pluto or STIRR. 
- Similar is available, for free, on "netlets"  (those .2 .3 etc channels you can get with an antenna, broadcasting under the main network that is .1.)
- Similar is available as a throw in on the paid streamers.

So, they toss the sports over to these channels, to try to make them relevant.  In that sense, it was more a "merger"  of NBCSN and USA as a shutdown. 

As to CBSSN, CBS just doesn't try with it.  It charges WAY less per subscriber than the others, and its mostly bottom of the division college sports, taped small time motorsports, and some eurosoccer.  They seem unwilling to spend any money to get any serious content.  I think it will continue on just because moving the content to Paramount Plus isn't going to accomplish anything.  Most of this stuff should be free on YouTube.

Takumi

Quote from: SP Cook on January 28, 2022, 10:38:59 AM

IMHO, the shut down on NBCSN has as much to do with the weakness of the "general rerun"  group of channels, as it does with NBCSN itself.  Channels like TNT, TBS, FX, BBCA, and, in this instance USA.  These channels, built on endless reruns of 90s and 00s network shows, are losing value for several reasons.

- Mostly, everyone who wanted to see the shows caught them in their first 10000 showings.
- Similar is available, for free, on streaming services like Pluto or STIRR. 
- Similar is available, for free, on "netlets"  (those .2 .3 etc channels you can get with an antenna, broadcasting under the main network that is .1.)
- Similar is available as a throw in on the paid streamers.

So, they toss the sports over to these channels, to try to make them relevant.  In that sense, it was more a "merger"  of NBCSN and USA as a shutdown. 

As to CBSSN, CBS just doesn't try with it.  It charges WAY less per subscriber than the others, and its mostly bottom of the division college sports, taped small time motorsports, and some eurosoccer.  They seem unwilling to spend any money to get any serious content.  I think it will continue on just because moving the content to Paramount Plus isn't going to accomplish anything.  Most of this stuff should be free on YouTube.

These networks were surprisingly useful for businesses like auto shops. When I worked at one, we'd have it on USA most of the time. If you're going to be an hour or two waiting for your vehicle to be worked on and are going to be sitting in a lobby, an episode or two of a crime drama or a movie will keep you distracted.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

golden eagle

NBCSN seemed to play a lot of minor sporting events that just don't draw people. I view CBSSN to be more stable, despite that they don't carry Power 5 conference games or the major pro sports leagues. CBSSN does at least carry football and basketball from the Group of Five conferences (American, MAC, Sun Belt, etc.) and the service academies. Also, whether you love him or hate him, they carry Jim Rome live.

DenverBrian

Five channels of NBCSN are still on my Hulu + Live TV lineup. <shrugs>

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: DenverBrian on January 30, 2022, 05:31:18 PM

The network that got shut down was NBC Sports national channel, the one that showed NHL games, IndyCar/NASCAR races, the Tour de France, etc. There are still several NBC regional Sports networks, which are probably what are still on your Hulu listings.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 30, 2022, 06:40:18 PM

The network that got shut down was NBC Sports national channel, the one that showed NHL games, IndyCar/NASCAR races, the Tour de France, etc. There are still several NBC regional Sports networks, which are probably what are still on your Hulu listings.

Far as I know, the NBC Regional Sports channels for Washington, Philadelphia, Chicago, & Oakland-San Francisco are still on the air (not sure where the 5th regional channel would be)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on January 30, 2022, 07:01:25 PM

Far as I know, the NBC Regional Sports channels for Washington, Philadelphia, Chicago, & Oakland-San Francisco are still on the air (not sure where the 5th regional channel would be)

Philly

Big John

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 30, 2022, 07:33:53 PM

Philly
There may be another one.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Big John on January 30, 2022, 07:40:10 PM

Philly

Oakland (NBCSN California) and San Francisco (NBCSN Bay Area) are two separate channels. Is that it?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 30, 2022, 07:44:19 PM
Quote from: Big John on January 30, 2022, 07:40:10 PM

Philly

Oakland (NBCSN California) and San Francisco (NBCSN Bay Area) are two separate channels. Is that it?

I think so, but there's also one in Boston, which is what I meant to type when I said Philly.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.