News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

__________ is/are overrated.

Started by kphoger, April 28, 2022, 10:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takumi

Spotify. Never cared for their artist payment structure, and I'm not a fan of streaming music as opposed to owning it in general.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2022, 04:30:49 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 03, 2022, 04:27:20 PM
Martial modesty

That sounds vaguely East Asian.

You know what, it actually was overrated when I was a kid.  I wanted to learn how to beat up the older kids up that were picking on me when I signed up for Karate.  Screw all that BS about not fighting and all that honor jazz.

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 03, 2022, 04:35:14 PM

Martial modesty

You know what, it actually was overrated when I was a kid.  I wanted to learn how to beat up the older kids up that were picking on me when I signed up for Karate.  Screw all that BS about not fighting and all that honor jazz.

Oh, and here, I was thinking of a gendarmerie enforcing public indecency laws...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Martial modesty

Hey, it worked for Daniel-san.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 03, 2022, 04:36:57 PM
Martial modesty

Hey, it worked for Daniel-san.

I am amused by the fact how willing he is to throw down with almost everyone in Kobra Kai.

Rothman

Women are gross in the bathroom and therefore I like that their mess is confined to a different room than the men's restroom.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on May 03, 2022, 03:59:56 PM
My office has three men's restrooms, three women's restrooms, and one unisex restroom. I've obviously never been in the ladies' rooms, but ...

That's not obvious to me.  I've been in my office's women's room several times–not necessarily to use the toilet (maybe once), but to help change a light bulb or to grab some paper towels if the men's room ran out, or whatever.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on May 03, 2022, 04:41:18 PM
Women are gross in the bathroom and therefore I like that their mess is confined to a different room than the men's restroom.

Something like this?

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2022, 04:43:15 PM
My office has three men's restrooms, three women's restrooms, and one unisex restroom. I've obviously never been in the ladies' rooms, but ...

That's not obvious to me.  I've been in my office's women's room several times–not necessarily to use the toilet (maybe once), but to help change a light bulb or to grab some paper towels if the men's room ran out, or whatever.
I've accidentally walked into the ladies' room numerous times.  These days, if I walk into the men's room and don't immediately see urinals, I freak out and run to confirm I walked into the correct restroom.

Rothman

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 03, 2022, 04:47:05 PM

I've accidentally walked into the ladies' room numerous times.  These days, if I walk into the men's room and don't immediately see urinals, I freak out and run to confirm I walked into the correct restroom.
That's a...talent.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

abefroman329

Quote from: Rothman on May 03, 2022, 04:54:54 PM

That's a...talent.
OK, "numerous" isn't correct.  No more than 10 times in my entire life.

Rothman

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 03, 2022, 04:57:50 PM

That's a...talent.
Um...do you just open random doors to see what's behind them?

Max Rockatansky

Attending weddings.  I can't think of anything more dull than just hanging out for hours just to celebrate someone else's happiness.  Since I've gotten married myself I usually find myself at someone's wedding at least 3-5 times a year. 

abefroman329

Quote from: Rothman on May 03, 2022, 05:02:28 PM

That's a...talent.
...no?

Rothman

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 03, 2022, 05:21:21 PM
Quote from: Rothman on May 03, 2022, 05:02:28 PM

That's a...talent.
...no?
But still, 10 times accidentally going into the women's bathroom?

dlsterner

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2022, 02:39:04 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on May 03, 2022, 02:34:12 PM
What's even more ridiculous is when there are two single-occupant washrooms and they're still separated by gender. What difference does it make if only one person is in the washroom at a time? :pan:

Precisely.  Imagine my surprise when I first researched why that is, only to find out that it's a legal requirement.

In my neck of the woods, within the past year or so, some places I go to have re-labeled their single-occupant washrooms from men/women to gender-neutral.  Maybe the legal requirements have been relaxed, or they're location dependent.

abefroman329

Quote from: Rothman on May 03, 2022, 05:33:50 PM
But still, 10 times accidentally going into the women's bathroom?[/quote]In 40 years?  That's an average of once every four years.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 03, 2022, 05:39:25 PM
That's an average of once every four years.

I don't often agree with Mr. Rothman on a great many topics, but I'm pretty sure I've gone 40 years without accidentally walking into the women's room. And I've been drunk in public many times. :)

snowc

Houses.
Our house had some damage caused by a thunderstorm wind gust. A piece of the vinyl siding was torn off the roof.
Other than that, it was like a hurricane outside.  :colorful:
Estimated wind speeds of HURRICANE force.

Rothman

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 03, 2022, 05:41:06 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on May 03, 2022, 05:39:25 PM
That's an average of once every four years.

I don't often agree with Mr. Rothman on a great many topics, but I'm pretty sure I've gone 40 years without accidentally walking into the women's room. And I've been drunk in public many times. :)
I mean, I think I may have done so once or twice when I was very, very young.

Ten times?  That's...interesting.

Rothman

Quote from: snowc on May 03, 2022, 05:47:03 PM
Houses.
Our house now has to be assessed for damages caused by a thunderstorm. Our vinyl siding was completely blown.
Estimated wind speeds of HURRICANE force. Now we may have to gut our house and rebuild it.
Well played nature. You destroyed my house.  :clap: :banghead:
Heck yeah.  I hated home ownership.  Going back to renting has been liberating, both psychologically and economically.

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Considering I'm paying of what my last rent was for my current mortgage I've found the opposite to be true as of late.  But that took a lot of manipulating things at work for a favorable transfer to a lower priced housing market.

Quote from: snowc on May 03, 2022, 05:47:03 PM
Houses.
Our house now has to be assessed for damages caused by a thunderstorm. Our vinyl siding was completely blown.
Estimated wind speeds of HURRICANE force. Now we may have to gut our house and rebuild it.
Well played nature. You destroyed my house.  :clap: :banghead:

This guy had similar views on permanent domicile:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diogenes_Laertius

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 03, 2022, 05:50:06 PM
^^^

Considering I'm paying of what my last rent was for my current mortgage I've found the opposite to be true as of late.  But that took a lot of manipulating things at work for a favorable transfer to a lower priced housing market.

Depends on your market for sure. My buddy is paying only $200 less than I pay for my 15-year mortgage on a 2,000 sq. ft. house.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 03, 2022, 05:57:28 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 03, 2022, 05:50:06 PM
^^^

Depends on your market for sure. My buddy is paying only $200 less than I pay for my 15-year mortgage on a 2,000 sq. ft. house.

Yes, most people are generally surprised when I tell them Fresno was the cheaper housing market over Orlando (where I lived previously).  I was recently asked what my interest was in managing security at our distribution center in Orange County (California, not Florida) was.  My response was none given the median home price in Orange County is over $1,000,000.  Even doubling my salary wouldn't make up for the disparity in leaving the current housing market I'm in.

Speaking of overrated things.  Being so attached to a single area and being unwilling to move if an opportunity presents itself is incredibly overrated.  So many people I know have made their lives so much harder due to an unwillingness to move.

Max Rockatansky

Seemingly college educations. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.