News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

__________ is/are overrated.

Started by kphoger, April 28, 2022, 10:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowc

Quote from: kphoger on May 04, 2022, 09:44:58 AM
Quote from: snowc on May 03, 2022, 05:47:03 PM
Our vinyl siding was completely blown.

Now we may have to gut our house and rebuild it.

You destroyed my house.

Quote from: snowc on May 04, 2022, 07:55:18 AM
It was just a piece of the siding that ripped

So......  It wasn't 'completely blown.  And you certainly won't have to 'rebuild' your house.  And it wasn't 'destroyed'.

Were you just joking the first time, or were you trying to make your situation seem more dramatic than it actually was in order to feel important?
At the time of writing, I was distraught due to the wind speeds. I heard something peel off the house. Sorry, I will correct.

abefroman329

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 04, 2022, 08:04:01 AM
Quote from: abefroman329 on May 03, 2022, 04:23:41 PM

Quote from: hbelkins on May 03, 2022, 03:59:56 PMbut I'd be very embarrassed to have loud gas and a foul smell accompanying a bowel movement if women were in the same room.

I'd be embarrassed if that happened in front of anyone.  It's why I try to poop when I'm at home.

You sure your name's not Finch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_khvWHplL7w
Ha - no, they don't call me Shitbreak, but I can definitely see where he was coming from.

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/51101704055/in/album-72157633107485419/
Aesthetic artwork on freeway walls is starting to get way too out of control IMO.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2022, 09:46:13 PMTo be fair, they do have their father with them in that situation.  (I am a father who has taken his young daughter into the men's room.  Heck, I even took her into a big common shower room at a seminary once.  I'm not exactly a prude when it comes to nudity.)
Oh, I wasn't even thinking of, you know, a pedophile exposing himself (I agree that the danger of that is grossly overstated); I was just thinking of the girls accidentally seeing a penis or two.

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on May 04, 2022, 10:05:00 AM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/51101704055/in/album-72157633107485419/
Aesthetic artwork on freeway walls is starting to get way too out of control IMO.

I heard that there was some flak when it was added to Kellogg on the east side of Wichita.

https://goo.gl/maps/MNQA4BWqiK3Cgp8c9
https://goo.gl/maps/hk2dAnhD57n1Cwpj6
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 04, 2022, 10:08:19 AM

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2022, 09:46:13 PM
To be fair, they do have their father with them in that situation.  (I am a father who has taken his young daughter into the men's room.  Heck, I even took her into a big common shower room at a seminary once.  I'm not exactly a prude when it comes to nudity.)

Oh, I wasn't even thinking of, you know, a pedophile exposing himself (I agree that the danger of that is grossly overstated); I was just thinking of the girls accidentally seeing a penis or two.

My opinion is that kids seeing the opposite sex's "naughty bits" every so often during childhood might actually make them less likely to seek it out later in their adolescence.  Demystify the body.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on May 04, 2022, 10:13:20 AM
Quote from: abefroman329 on May 04, 2022, 10:08:19 AM

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2022, 09:46:13 PM
To be fair, they do have their father with them in that situation.  (I am a father who has taken his young daughter into the men's room.  Heck, I even took her into a big common shower room at a seminary once.  I'm not exactly a prude when it comes to nudity.)

My opinion is that kids seeing the opposite sex's "naughty bits" every so often during childhood might actually make them less likely to seek it out later in their adolescence.  Demystify the body.
I...don't know that I see the connection between the two (assuming you're talking about teen sex), but I agree that it helps not to raise your children to think there's something "naughty" about their "bits."

kphoger

Long hair on women is overrated.

How common is this situation, I wonder?  Man and woman fall in love, get married.  Man wants wife to look 'feminine', wife wants to look attractive to husband, therefore wife grows her hair long.  A couple of years later, wife wants to change up her haircut and is considering cutting it short, but husband shoots down the idea.  Six years pass, husband realizes he's tired of pulling wife's hairs out of the shower drain and off the bathroom counter and out of his mouth when they're spooning in bed at night, but husband doesn't say anything because that might come across as complaining.  Two more years pass, wife again considers cutting her hair short, and this time husband is totally on board.  Wife gets her hair cut short, and both of them are super happy with it:  easier to care for, less annoying all around.

But...  then...  four more years pass...  and...  wife misses the more 'feminine' look she used to have with long hair...  considers letting it grow out again...
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on May 04, 2022, 10:31:31 AM
Long hair on women is overrated.

How common is this situation, I wonder?  Man and woman fall in love, get married.  Man wants wife to look 'feminine', wife wants to look attractive to husband, therefore wife grows her hair long.  A couple of years later, wife wants to change up her haircut and is considering cutting it short, but husband shoots down the idea.  Six years pass, husband realizes he's tired of pulling wife's hairs out of the shower drain and off the bathroom counter and out of his mouth when they're spooning in bed at night, but husband doesn't say anything because that might come across as complaining.  Two more years pass, wife again considers cutting her hair short, and this time husband is totally on board.  Wife gets her hair cut short, and both of them are super happy with it:  easier to care for, less annoying all around.

But...  then...  four more years pass...  and...  wife misses the more 'feminine' look she used to have with long hair...  considers letting it grow out again...

I would agree to an extent.  There was a girl I dated about 11-13 years ago that had short blonde hair.  She definitely didn't have any issues appearing feminine with short hair.  If anything when she grew it out it made her look more normalized, which I would say was from my subjective stand point necessarily better.

formulanone

I like long hair and so does my wife, so it's essentially non-negotiable in our relationship. The problem is that I'll rarely notice if it's 3 inches shorter for the 1-2 times a year she gets a haircut.

The hassles are minor; after all, the dog sheds way more than the rest of the family put together, and we humans were gifted hands and opposable thumbs...

snowc

Big John

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

roadman65

Quote from: snowc on May 04, 2022, 10:50:09 AM
Wait, you don't like this style as well?
https://goo.gl/maps/mLDNvaWidmJMbmp7A

Its too overkill.  Just like all these weird colors that women wear on their toes.  I think its great, but at the same time its overdone.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 30, 2022, 09:37:42 PM
Quote from: Rothman on April 30, 2022, 09:35:47 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 30, 2022, 09:32:42 PM
Quote from: 1 on April 30, 2022, 06:29:41 PM
Quote from: snowc on April 30, 2022, 06:26:41 PM
In addition, my home is blurred due to privacy reasons set forth by my landlord.  :D

That just makes it more suspicious. You're probably safer having it visible just like every other house, and nobody would think twice about your house even when they do see it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

Quote from: Rothman on April 30, 2022, 07:20:07 PM
We're getting photographed constantly nowadays.  Just embrace it.

no

The nice thing is now it's not entirely weird to wear a face mask in a place that has video surveillance.
We need a photo of Scott now.

Prepare to be disappointed.

well, as long as we're doing that..
https://imgur.com/lA5FmqT
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

snowc

Quote from: Big John on May 04, 2022, 11:01:59 AM
Wisconsin does this a lot: https://goo.gl/maps/5Byk8K6z8qrZBHW86
FTFY, the link you provided was showing the road, not the bridge.  :D

snowc

snowc

Quote from: roadman65 on May 04, 2022, 11:12:31 AM
Quote from: snowc on May 04, 2022, 10:50:09 AM
Wait, you don't like this style as well?
https://goo.gl/maps/mLDNvaWidmJMbmp7A

Its too overkill.  Just like all these weird colors that women wear on their toes.  I think its great, but at the same time its overdone.
On the flip side, NY's bridges (2012-present) are more grotesque.
https://goo.gl/maps/aoUcuWgXH3qz1p4N6
And the 50s doesnt look too good either.
https://goo.gl/maps/ChtMpQbamr1fKfCN9

hbelkins

Funerals are overrated. I know that they are more for the survivors than the deceased, but my preference would be to just be put in the ground ASAP and let people get on with their lives without feeling a need to come to the visitation or the funeral service. When my dad died, I didn't really even want a service of any kind. I just wanted to turn his remains over to the funeral home and let them bury him. But my brother wanted to do something because my dad had siblings and that generation expects some kind of memorial service. So we just had a simple graveside service.

Home ownership is overrated. The expenses of repairs, maintenance, insurance, taxes, etc., can be burdensome. If the water heater goes out, you don't have to replace it. Your landlord does.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: hbelkins on May 04, 2022, 12:59:53 PM
Home ownership is overrated. The expenses of repairs, maintenance, insurance, taxes, etc., can be burdensome. If the water heater goes out, you don't have to replace it. Your landlord does.

But you don't gain wealth if you rent. The amount of equity I've earned on my house over the last five years could buy me a whole shit ton of water heaters.

abefroman329

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 04, 2022, 01:01:45 PM

But you don't gain wealth if rent. The amount of equity I've earned on my house over the last five years could buy me a whole shit ton of water heaters.
You also don't have to beg your landlord to replace the water heater, and you don't have to worry about your rent going up as a result of replacing the water heater.  Oh, and the new water heater will make your house worth slightly more.

Rothman

Funerals are overrated. I know that they are more for the survivors than the deceased, but my preference would be to just be put in the ground ASAP and let people get on with their lives without feeling a need to come to the visitation or the funeral service. When my dad died, I didn't really even want a service of any kind. I just wanted to turn his remains over to the funeral home and let them bury him. But my brother wanted to do something because my dad had siblings and that generation expects some kind of memorial service. So we just had a simple graveside service.

Oh, the stories my mother has from Appalachian funerals.  Food everywhere, people sitting around for hours and hours...

My grandfather used to just grumble, "We have to go over there and sit with that body."
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on May 04, 2022, 01:07:40 PM

Oh, the stories my mother has from Appalachian funerals.  Food everywhere, people sitting around for hours and hours...

My grandfather used to just grumble, "We have to go over there and sit with that body."

My Mom was insistent on not having a funeral and being cremated.  She didn't like the whole idea of dragging people to gather over a corpse and having to pay for the occasion out of pocket.  We did a very small service against her wishes but had her cremated like she wanted (which is way more affordable than a burial).  I actually spread her ashes out on CA 1 in San Simeon since she wanted to go back to Big Sur and Hearst Castle near the end of her life.  She was really insistent upon not having ashes around due to as she put it "not wanting to be a damn trophy on a mantle."

Speaking of "the body"  I'm the one who did the identification with a Hernando County official.  For some reason they left me alone in the room at the morgue for several minutes, that seemed incredibly odd at the time.   

abefroman329

Quote from: Rothman on May 04, 2022, 01:07:40 PM

It'd be easier to list the cultures that DON'T have funerals that include food everywhere and people sitting around for hours.

abefroman329

I'm definitely on board with being cremated.  There's just so much cool stuff they can do with the remains these days, like getting a tattoo with the remains in the ink.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.