News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

__________ is/are overrated.

Started by kphoger, April 28, 2022, 10:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XamotCGC

Achy Breaky Heart.   The song was overplayed when it first came out.
Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

abefroman329

Quote from: Rothman on May 28, 2022, 11:45:51 PM

Quote from: hbelkins on May 28, 2022, 09:14:39 PM
Quote from: Rothman on May 28, 2022, 06:02:15 AM
Quote from: XamotCGC on May 27, 2022, 11:24:07 PM
Golden Corral
Yep.  Suffers from Olive Garden Syndrome.  Lots of people love it and it sucks.

The steak is admittedly not that great, but the food on the buffet can be quite tasty.

Complete with kids running around jamming snot-covered fingers into it.
That's what makes it so tasty!

paulthemapguy

Quote from: hbelkins on April 29, 2022, 11:58:28 AM
Moderated forums. (Really, content moderation/censorship in general).

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Everyone look out, we got a badass.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on May 26, 2022, 12:20:36 PM

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on May 26, 2022, 12:14:26 PM
8. Drinking alcohol.

I'm going to sound like a lot of members' mothers right here, but I honestly don't see the appeal of drinking merrily and getting wasted. It's not a healthy habit at all. Heck, even caffeine might fall under this category. (I swear I'm not Mormon!)

Those are two very different things.

I've never understood the appeal of getting wasted either.  Even just a headache the next morning is bad enough to keep me within my limit.  And acting like a complete fool of myself is not something that appeals to me.

But having just one or two drinks is a very pleasant thing.  It relaxes me, it makes me more chatty (for better or worse), and–when consumed with a bit of charcuterie or some olives and cheese–can give me a brief moment of feeling "fancy".

Quote from: hbelkins on May 27, 2022, 07:34:15 PM
I may be weird, but I don't really see the point in drinking alcoholic beverages if the intent isn't to become buzzed or intoxicated or otherwise have your mind/perception/senses altered.

I'm actually amazed that there are people who like beer, bourbon, etc., for the taste and not for the intoxicating effects.

If I'm thirsty, I will probably drink a Diet Coke. If I want to become under the influence; well, that's the only reason I'm going to drink alcohol. (And I have done it so rarely the last 29 years that I might as well be a teetotaler.)

You seem to be approaching this with the mindset that "intoxication" means any alteration to one's state of mind.  That is to say, the ingestion of any amount of the toxin alcohol constitutes intoxication.

(I'm also guessing you don't have a problem with caffeine, which, while toxicity in humans requires a significantly greater amount than most people consume, is still technically a psychoactive toxin.  If you were to consume a cup of coffee that was, say, eight to ten times stronger than usual, you could die.  Caffeine is a substance that is enjoyable when consumed in moderation but potentially lethal at larger doses.  But that is perhaps a discussion for another time.)

At some level, I agree:  the effect of alcohol on one's behavior is by definition an intoxicating one.  However, I disagree with the notion that having a moderately altered state of mind is the definition of intoxicated.  Rather, intoxication is the state of having one's state of mind significantly altered, such that one's self control is noticeably inhibited.  Therefore, the intoxicating nature of alcohol is part of both its appeal and its danger.

I know you're a Christian, so allow me to use a Biblical example.  The intoxicating property of wine that prompted the proverb ...

"Who has woe? Who has sorrow? Who has strife? Who has complaining? Who has wounds without cause? Who has redness of eyes? Those who tarry long over wine ... (Proverbs 23:29-30a RSV)"

... is the very same intoxicating property of wine that prompted the psalmist to write ...

"Thou dost cause the grass to grow for ... man to cultivate, that he may bring forth ... wine to gladden the heart of man ... (Psalm 104:14-15a RSV)".

So, yes, I can say that having my "senses altered" is indeed part of "the point in drinking alcoholic beverages", and I believe that the moderate use of alcohol is wholly in keeping with the Christian virtues of sobriety and self-control.

But that isn't the only thing I enjoy about alcoholic beverages.  Allow me to name some others:

1.  I enjoy the flavor.

A crisp white wine or a light red wine goes great with meat off the grill during a summer holiday gathering.  A full-bodied, tannic red wine goes great with a lasagna or even a bowl of chili.  When I make rouladen for dinner every year on Epiphany, nearly a full bottle of dry red wine goes into the sauce they simmer in, and the resultant gravy is to die for when spooned over the mashed potatoes.

I really like the juniper and citrus flavors in certain kinds of gin.  Add some juniper-forward gin and a splash of triple sec to a lemonade, and I enjoy it all the more.  Or, after mowing the lawn the other day, a gin & tonic was a welcome refreshment, with the bitterness of the tonic playing nicely with the alcoholic bite of the gin and balanced out by the squeeze of lemon I added.

2.  I enjoy finding out what I like and why.

Unlike cola, for example, there are a zillion different kinds of wine.  What makes a bottle taste the way it does is a huge topic, with everything from climate to soil to ageing to grape variety to harvest date to blending to–gosh, there's so much to learn!  And that's part of what I enjoy.  For example, my wife and I both like Italian Pinot Grigio;  we recently started to branch out and try similar wines from South Africa, Oregon, Washington, and Spain.  It's fun!

I've found it similarly enjoyable to try different kinds of gin.  I find one I like, and then I try another similar one to see which I like better.  From there, I can determine which styles I prefer in general, and what I find works best in what cocktails.

3.  I enjoy the experience.

This is very, very subjective, and you may laugh at me.  But, if I spend a half-hour on the front porch with a cocktail and a small plate of crackers and stuffed cherry peppers, then for that moment I feel a little more elegant, a little less poor and plain than I otherwise am.  It's nice to carve out a moment of "culture" in my generally prosaic life.

At a holiday, a couple of bottles of wine on the table are part of what makes it feel like a holiday.  It's the same reason I put out a tablecloth, the same reason we put out the family china.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

I agree with all kphoger said. If I didn't catch any buzz at all from drinking, I would still drink alcohol because I like the taste of everything I drink. I know not everyone can just drink mezcal neat like me, but I was in the hospitality industry for many years and have learned a lot about all things beverage, and honestly, despite me being really good at making craft cocktails, when I drink, it's normally booze in a glass.

All that said, I do also drink for the relaxation it offers. I'm 40 now so I don't feel the need to get drunk like I did when I was in my 20's, but a nice mild buzz when at home isn't the worst thing in the world either.

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 31, 2022, 04:01:02 PM
I know not everyone can just drink mezcal neat like me, but ...

Everything has its time and place.

My dad was a pastor in a liturgical Christian tradition.  Come Christmas, he was singing and chanting and preaching in three or four services over the course of two days.  I remember, in high school, being in the church choir and having a lot of demanding music to sing at Christmas.  We lived in a parsonage next door to the church.  I have a distinct memory of my dad and me coming home between the "regular" Christmas Eve service and the midnight service, and him pouring some mezcal for the two of us to soothe our throats.  Normally I probably wouldn't drink mezcal straight like that, but in that moment, it was perfect.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on May 31, 2022, 04:23:04 PM

My dad was a pastor in a liturgical Christian tradition.  Come Christmas, he was singing and chanting and preaching in three or four services over the course of two days.  I remember, in high school, being in the church choir and having a lot of demanding music to sing at Christmas.  We lived in a parsonage next door to the church.  I have a distinct memory of my dad and me coming home between the "regular" Christmas Eve service and the midnight service, and him pouring some mezcal for the two of us to soothe our throats.  Normally I probably wouldn't drink mezcal straight like that, but in that moment, it was perfect.

I will say, if you like the nuances of gin and the different herb/citrus profiles, you'd be into mezcal. Unfortunately sampling all of the different kinds of agaves becomes an expensive habit, but they're all so unique.

Tobalá has kind of an oily texture with fruity notes.
Arroqueño has a Hatch green chile thing going on.
Guererro tastes a bit like cantaloupe.

And, depending on where it's made, it's not smoky at all. For example, in San Luís Potosí, they use copper stills as opposed to just burying the piña, so it never comes in contact with smoke.

Also, for the purposes of this thread, ultra premium vodka is massively overrated.

Scott5114

Meanwhile, I can't stomach the taste of alcohol. My taste buds are sensitive enough to it that I can instantly tell (and dislike) any dish that used wine as an ingredient, even if the cook swears the taste has cooked off. It's just not a pleasant experience for me.

But, since I started using cannabis, I can definitely appreciate why some people like a good drink after a hard day's work or when socializing with friends.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

thspfc

Weed is more overrated than alcohol is. Not because it's that much worse, but because weed addiction is largely accepted and even glorified by society, while the obvious negative effects are ignored. The same can't be said of alcohol addiction.

abefroman329

Quote from: thspfc on May 31, 2022, 05:47:04 PMNot because it's that much worse, but because weed addiction is largely accepted and even glorified by society, while the obvious negative effects are ignored. The same can't be said of alcohol addiction.
lolwut

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thspfc on May 31, 2022, 05:47:04 PM
Weed is more overrated than alcohol is. Not because it's that much worse, but because weed addiction is largely accepted and even glorified by society, while the obvious negative effects are ignored. The same can't be said of alcohol addiction.

I'd argue not only is weed not "much worse", it's not even close to as bad as alcohol. And it's way harder to get addicted to weed in the first place.

I'd also argue that the reason that people "glorify" weed addiction as compared to alcohol addiction is because potheads are nice and alcoholics mostly aren't.

Scott5114

In my experience, you can't even really get addicted to weed, at least not physiologically. The biggest pothead I know took a month off from smoking to clear a drug test for employment purposes. The only "symptom" he experienced was being annoyed that someone was telling him he couldn't do something he enjoyed.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CtrlAltDel

To offer some actual data in a published article:

The cumulative probability estimate of transition to dependence was 67.5% for nicotine users, 22.7% for alcohol users, 20.9% for cocaine users, and 8.9% for cannabis users.

As far as social costs go, the most-recent open-access information I could find is from 2002, which is admittedly a while ago. The key takeaways though are:

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 31, 2022, 05:06:43 PM

Quote from: kphoger on May 31, 2022, 04:23:04 PM

I will say, if you like the nuances of gin and the different herb/citrus profiles, you'd be into mezcal. Unfortunately sampling all of the different kinds of agaves becomes an expensive habit, but they're all so unique.

Tobalá has kind of an oily texture with fruity notes.
Arroqueño has a Hatch green chile thing going on.
Guererro tastes a bit like cantaloupe.

And, depending on where it's made, it's not smoky at all. For example, in San Luís Potosí, they use copper stills as opposed to just burying the piña, so it never comes in contact with smoke.

I considered cross-posting this into the Liquor thread instead, but I'll keep this subtopic going:

Is tequila just one specific type of mezcal, or is there a substantive difference that makes tequila not mezcal?

Also, for the purposes of this thread, ultra premium vodka is massively overrated.

I think vodka is overrated in general.  Adding such a neutral flavor seems kind of pointless to me.  And flavored vodka just seems like a product that's trying to be something other than vodka.  I'm OK with that latter part–obviously, considering I enjoy gin, which is basically just one type of flavored vodka–but I find little use for plain vodka.  (It is useful in baking, to get a flaky pie crust, but I don't bake.)

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 31, 2022, 06:27:06 PM

Quote from: thspfc on May 31, 2022, 05:47:04 PM

I'd argue not only is weed not "much worse", it's not even close to as bad as alcohol. And it's way harder to get addicted to weed in the first place.

I'd also argue that the reason that people "glorify" weed addiction as compared to alcohol addiction is because potheads are nice and alcoholics mostly aren't.

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 31, 2022, 06:38:52 PM
In my experience, you can't even really get addicted to weed, at least not physiologically. The biggest pothead I know took a month off from smoking to clear a drug test for employment purposes. The only "symptom" he experienced was being annoyed that someone was telling him he couldn't do something he enjoyed.

Addiction takes several forms, doesn't it?  I have a friend from church who really struggles at staying off weed.  Maybe it's not a true addiction because it isn't physiological, but it's realistically an addiction nonetheless.  He's noticed an improvement in his ability to concentrate at work when he's successful at staying off weed, but it's an inner struggle for him.

I'd agree that alcohol abuse is much more detrimental to society in general.  Too many people become violent when they're drunk.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

formulanone

Speaking from some past personal and shared experiences, if one lives somewhere in which it is not legal, then a weed "addiction" comes from narrowing down friendships, social circles, and lifestyle choices with those who only perform illicit drugs, out of distrust for others. Rewarding oneself excessively with drugs could lead to negative gateway effects; hey, if you'd try one, you might try another. But honestly, that could also be said of any activity taken to an extreme...everyone's mileage will vary.

In short, I'm not surprised people take drugs. Each generation finds something to escape from at some point or another.

US 89

Quote from: kphoger on May 31, 2022, 07:30:28 PM
I think vodka is overrated in general.  Adding such a neutral flavor seems kind of pointless to me.  And flavored vodka just seems like a product that's trying to be something other than vodka.  I'm OK with that latter part–obviously, considering I enjoy gin, which is basically just one type of flavored vodka–but I find little use for plain vodka.  (It is useful in baking, to get a flaky pie crust, but I don't bake.)

Yeah, flavored vodka is overrated. I was at a friend's place a few months ago and they had whipped cream-flavored vodka. If that sounds disgusting... it was. But apparently some people swear by it.

thenetwork

Quote from: XamotCGC on May 31, 2022, 09:49:13 AM

Tell me about it...I once spent time in a bar in '92 when some redneck loaded the jukebox with about $5 in credits, and every selection was Achy Breaky Heart.

Didnt take long for me to absolutely HATE that song -- Probably about $1 into the marathon.

JoePCool14

I guess that goes to show effective drug testing is.

Also, addiction is not the only measure as to whether something is good or bad. Just because someone isn't addicted to murder doesn't mean murdering one person is okay.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

dlsterner

Quote from: thenetwork on May 31, 2022, 07:55:59 PM
Quote from: XamotCGC on May 31, 2022, 09:49:13 AM

Tell me about it...I once spent time in a bar in '92 when some redneck loaded the jukebox with about $5 in credits, and every selection was Achy Breaky Heart.

Didnt take long for me to absolutely HATE that song -- Probably about $1 into the marathon.

I was tempted once to do that to a jukebox back when "Disco Duck" was out (and then make an exit).  I thought better of it, which may be why I'm here today.

abefroman329

abefroman329

kphoger

Quote from: US 89 on May 31, 2022, 07:48:23 PM
I was at a friend's place a few months ago and they had whipped cream-flavored vodka. If that sounds disgusting... it was. But apparently some people swear by it.

I've had that, actually.  When we were in Springfield (MO) for my sister-in-law's college graduation a year or two ago, she and her roommates and my mother-in-law and my wife and I played spoons for shots one evening.  (Most of us were the responsible sort, however, and stopped drinking past our limit, but it was still fun.)  And that was one of the things they had in the house.

College girls.  Not exactly known for great taste in liquor, I suppose...

Then again:  Spoons.  Not exactly know for great taste in liquor either.

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 31, 2022, 08:57:52 PM
D.A.R.E is overrated.

The first concert my wife ever attended was Def Leppard.  She was in fifth grade.  And she wore a D.A.R.E. tee-shirt.  I don't suppose she appreciated the irony at the time.  :biggrin:
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

I think vodka is overrated in general.  Adding such a neutral flavor seems kind of pointless to me.  And flavored vodka just seems like a product that's trying to be something other than vodka.  I'm OK with that latter part–obviously, considering I enjoy gin, which is basically just one type of flavored vodka–but I find little use for plain vodka. ...

I've only tried vodka a few times as part of a mixed drink, and likewise I've only tried gin a handful of times, but that's more than enough to know that I much prefer gin. Vodka doesn't have much taste at all, while gin has a taste that I find quite pleasant - at least compared to other types of alcohol, which I've found much too strong to enjoy (scotch), or just not my taste (beer).

jeffandnicole

Quote from: US 89 on May 31, 2022, 07:48:23 PM

Yeah, flavored vodka is overrated. I was at a friend's place a few months ago and they had whipped cream-flavored vodka. If that sounds disgusting... it was. But apparently some people swear by it.

There's a few flavored vodkas that mix well with certain drinks (berry vodkas with berry drinks, for example).  Overall though, the only thing I find useful for many flavored vodkas are they mix well for jello shots or pudding shots.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.