News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

__________ is/are overrated.

Started by kphoger, April 28, 2022, 10:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Conforming to societal expectations is overrated.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

thenetwork

Steve Harvey is overrated...And especially HIS version of (Celebrity) Family Feud.

thspfc

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 06, 2022, 05:01:16 PM
What are "societal expectations" ?

Scott5114

Quote from: thenetwork on June 06, 2022, 07:56:25 PM
Steve Harvey is overrated...And especially HIS version of (Celebrity) Family Feud.

Better than the snorefest that was every version of Family Feud between him and the second Dawson administration.

Quote from: thspfc on June 06, 2022, 08:52:38 PM

Quote from: webny99 on June 06, 2022, 04:14:26 PM
Quote from: kphoger on June 06, 2022, 03:55:38 PM
Quote from: webny99 on June 06, 2022, 03:51:51 PM
Your neighbors might not care, but chances are some of them would.

Well, of course they care.  If they didn't then I would be saying clothes are overrated, now, would I?  If nobody cares about an issue, then the issue isn't overrated.

They might care about the societal expectations more so than the actual act of wearing clothing. In other words, it's possible that "society" overrates clothing more so than any one individual person does.

thspfc

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 06, 2022, 08:55:17 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on June 06, 2022, 07:56:25 PM

Better than the snorefest that was every version of Family Feud between him and the second Dawson administration.

Quote from: webny99 on June 06, 2022, 04:14:26 PM
Quote from: kphoger on June 06, 2022, 03:55:38 PM
Quote from: webny99 on June 06, 2022, 03:51:51 PM
Your neighbors might not care, but chances are some of them would.

Well, of course they care.  If they didn't then I would be saying clothes are overrated, now, would I?  If nobody cares about an issue, then the issue isn't overrated.

They might care about the societal expectations more so than the actual act of wearing clothing. In other words, it's possible that "society" overrates clothing more so than any one individual person does.
I mean, I guess so? I think the neighbors' disapproval might be more backed by how it's illegal.

Max Rockatansky

2.3 kids, house, a dog and white picket fence.

Scott5114

Quote from: thspfc on June 06, 2022, 08:58:42 PM
I mean, I guess so? I think the neighbors' disapproval might be more backed by how it's illegal.

Society disapproves of nudity because it's illegal, and it's illegal because society disapproves of it?

thspfc

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 06, 2022, 09:01:27 PM

Society disapproves of nudity because it's illegal, and it's illegal because society disapproves of it?
It's illegal because it causes problems. Society disapproves of a lot of things that aren't illegal.

Scott5114

Quote from: thspfc on June 06, 2022, 09:20:25 PM

It's illegal because it causes problems. Society disapproves of a lot of things that aren't illegal.

No it doesn't.

thspfc

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 06, 2022, 09:24:42 PM

No it doesn't.
Wow, he got me there.

Scott5114

Quote from: thspfc on June 06, 2022, 10:05:58 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on June 06, 2022, 09:24:42 PM

No it doesn't.
Wow, he got me there.

Five cents, please!

J N Winkler

FWIW, nudity is legal in Kansas except where pre-empted by local ordinance, as it is in Wichita.

I cannot remember ever having mown the lawn except in long pants and closed-toe shoes with socks.  These days I also wear a hat and a long-sleeved T-shirt.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 06, 2022, 10:37:11 PM
FWIW, nudity is legal in Kansas except where pre-empted by local ordinance, as it is in Wichita.

I cannot remember ever having mown the lawn except in long pants and closed-toe shoes with socks.  These days I also wear a hat and a long-sleeved T-shirt.

In point of fact, non-sexualized nudity is legal in most states.  Generally, state law has verbiage that only prohibits "lewd and lascivious behavior" when nude, or if it's in a situation that is "likely to cause affront or alarm".  But individual towns are likely to have more restrictive ordinances on the books, as are national parks.

For what it's worth, in the state of Arkansas, the anti-nudism law specifically states "in the presence of one (1) or more persons of the opposite sex".  This means that a bunch of guys from around the area could legally have a nudist beer & brats evening at someone's house, but, as soon someone's wife showed up, it would then become illegal.  It would be legal for her husband to be nude in her presence, but not for anyone else.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 06, 2022, 10:37:11 PM

This is also what I wore when I lived somewhere with a lawn, except that I also wore protective eyewear. I've long feared getting hit by something while mowing.

kphoger

meh

When my wife and I lived with my parents, shortly after having our first child, I once mowed their lawn barefoot.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Risk aversion.  Almost every notable thing I've done in my life carried some of degree of risk (hence the new thread).

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 07, 2022, 12:59:58 PM
Risk aversion.  Almost every notable thing I've done in my life carried some of degree of risk (hence the new thread).

That's something we really have to stress to our kids, especially our middle son:  most everything that's fun or rewarding has the potential to hurt you, so don't avoid something just because you might get hurt.
Male pronouns, please.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on June 07, 2022, 01:04:51 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 07, 2022, 12:59:58 PM

That's something we really have to stress to our kids, especially our middle son:  most everything that's fun or rewarding has the potential to hurt you, so don't avoid something just because you might get hurt.

Right. So mow the lawn, just take basic precautions to ensure you don't get injured. Same outcome, after all: a beautiful, manicured lawn.

I mowed three times a week to keep up with the lawn and cut down on emptying frequency. That's a lot of time exposed to potential danger.

1995hoo

I need to start wearing a pair of jeans when I cut the grass. Both of the past two times, when I've used the weed whacker a piece of the plastic string broke off and hit me on the leg. Rather painful and left a small ugly bruise each time. Shame on me for letting it happen a second time.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 07, 2022, 02:32:46 PM
I need to start wearing a pair of jeans when I cut the grass. Both of the past two times, when I've used the weed whacker a piece of the plastic string broke off and hit me on the leg. Rather painful and left a small ugly bruise each time. Shame on me for letting it happen a second time.

Yeah, I've found that those little pieces of trimmer string are much more likely to hurt my leg than anything else.  I'd still rather not soak completely through a pair of long pants, though.
Male pronouns, please.

hbelkins

I'm not a fan of personal nudity even if I'm at home and by myself. I feel more comfortable clothed, and it's not just because I'm a fat slob. The more of my flesh that is protected from potential hazards -- any cat hooman servant can attest to this -- the better I feel. Plus if I'm outside working, clothing absorbs sweat, provides me something to wipe the sweat off my face with, and keeps me from being sunburned and being bitten by insects.

When I get home from work I change into either a T-shirt and shorts, or a sweatshirt and sweatpants, depending on the season. No way would I consider running around the house otherwise.

And foot coverings are a must. Socks at a minimum, usually socks and shoes or houseshoes, sometimes the houseshoes without socks. I'm not a fan of going barefoot at all. Being stung on the bottom of the foot because I stepped on a bee in two consecutive summers just before going to an event that required a lot of walking in my youth taught me that lesson.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on June 07, 2022, 02:39:25 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on June 07, 2022, 02:32:46 PM

Yeah, I've found that those little pieces of trimmer string are much more likely to hurt my leg than anything else.  I'd still rather not soak completely through a pair of long pants, though.

That's ultimately the issue that has always caused me to wear shorts. I get utterly soaked with sweat when I'm outside mowing and edging even when I wear shorts.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on June 07, 2022, 02:39:55 PM
Plus if I'm outside working, clothing absorbs sweat,

That's precisely why I wear as little as possible when working outside in the heat.  I can't stand sweaty clothes clinging to me.
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on June 07, 2022, 02:39:25 PMYeah, I've found that those little pieces of trimmer string are much more likely to hurt my leg than anything else.  I'd still rather not soak completely through a pair of long pants, though.

Why is this important?  Mine go straight into the wash (hot water) after I come back inside.  (I have a completely separate set of clothes for mowing, gardening, auto repair, etc.)  I then take a shower.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on June 07, 2022, 02:46:50 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on June 07, 2022, 02:39:55 PM
Plus if I'm outside working, clothing absorbs sweat,

That's precisely why I wear as little as possible when working outside in the heat.  I can't stand sweaty clothes clinging to me.

Interestingly I've found sweaty clothes (specifically a shirt) to be far more effective at keeping the body cool in high heat.  It seems counterintuitive but if I run without a shirt in the summer I have to drink a lot more fluid to stay cool.  Granted, I'm usually wearing loose fitting gym clothes so they don't stick to me either.   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.