News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

__________ is/are overrated.

Started by kphoger, April 28, 2022, 10:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 07, 2022, 02:49:34 PM
Quote from: kphoger on June 07, 2022, 02:39:25 PMYeah, I've found that those little pieces of trimmer string are much more likely to hurt my leg than anything else.  I'd still rather not soak completely through a pair of long pants, though.

Why is this important?  Mine go straight into the wash (hot water) after I come back inside.  (I have a completely separate set of clothes for mowing, gardening, auto repair, etc.)  I then take a shower.

My problem is that taking a shower doesn't really help cool me down after working in the yard. Maybe I need to blast myself with my wife's hair dryer (holding down the button for cool air) before I shower.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 07, 2022, 02:49:34 PM

Quote from: kphoger on June 07, 2022, 02:39:25 PM
Yeah, I've found that those little pieces of trimmer string are much more likely to hurt my leg than anything else.  I'd still rather not soak completely through a pair of long pants, though.

Why is this important?  Mine go straight into the wash (hot water) after I come back inside.  (I have a completely separate set of clothes for mowing, gardening, auto repair, etc.)  I then take a shower.

A couple of reasons:

1.  Because, as I said in my next post, I can't stand sweaty (or wet) clothes clinging to me.  This is especially true with heavy clothes like jeans and sweatshirts.  It's not so bad if it's just a pair of running shorts or a tank top undershirt.

2.  Because mine don't go straight into the wash after I come back inside, and I don't want to put a pair of damp and stinky pants in the laundry basket to fester until the weekend.  Even my socks and tank top undershirt get draped somewhere to dry out before going in the laundry basket.  Unless something unusual happens, we don't do a whole "load" of laundry for just one change of clothes.

But, mainly, I wear shorts because it's just not an issue.  I've mown the lawn in shorts for thirty years.

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 07, 2022, 02:56:28 PM
My problem is that taking a shower doesn't really help cool me down after working in the yard. Maybe I need to blast myself with my wife's hair dryer (holding down the button for cool air) before I shower.

If it's particularly hot outside, then I take a cool shower afterward.  If the temperature is over 100°F outside, then I don't even use the hot water at all.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 07, 2022, 02:50:54 PM
Quote from: kphoger on June 07, 2022, 02:46:50 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on June 07, 2022, 02:39:55 PM
Plus if I'm outside working, clothing absorbs sweat,

That's precisely why I wear as little as possible when working outside in the heat.  I can't stand sweaty clothes clinging to me.

Interestingly I've found sweaty clothes (specifically a shirt) to be far more effective at keeping the body cool in high heat.  It seems counterintuitive but if I run without a shirt in the summer I have to drink a lot more fluid to stay cool.  Granted, I'm usually wearing loose fitting gym clothes so they don't stick to me either.

I agree as to loose-fitting clothes, t-shirts in particular can be used as a fan of sorts to help cool down. I generally think of the reasoning behind going sans shirt being more related to sun exposure/tanning than to keep cool.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on June 07, 2022, 03:10:14 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on June 07, 2022, 02:56:28 PM

If it's particularly hot outside, then I take a cool shower afterward.  If the temperature is over 100°F outside, then I don't even use the hot water at all.

I heard a story once about a horse that dropped dead after being doused with cold water after a long, hard run. I never verified the story, but it's permanently scared me away from taking extreme cool-down measures, including cold showers (which I didn't care for to begin with).

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on June 07, 2022, 03:25:03 PM

That's precisely why I wear as little as possible when working outside in the heat.  I can't stand sweaty clothes clinging to me.

Interestingly I've found sweaty clothes (specifically a shirt) to be far more effective at keeping the body cool in high heat.  It seems counterintuitive but if I run without a shirt in the summer I have to drink a lot more fluid to stay cool.  Granted, I'm usually wearing loose fitting gym clothes so they don't stick to me either.

I agree as to loose-fitting clothes, t-shirts in particular can be used as a fan of sorts to help cool down. I generally think of the reasoning behind going sans shirt being more related to sun exposure/tanning than to keep cool.

I pretty much have to wear a shirt, even if I'm swimming. Hearing the dermatologist say "squamous cell carcinoma," even when she then goes on to say you don't have it yet, has a powerful ability to make you a lot more cautious about such things.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 07, 2022, 03:41:15 PM
Quote from: webny99 on June 07, 2022, 03:25:03 PM

I pretty much have to wear a shirt, even if I'm swimming. Hearing the dermatologist say "squamous cell carcinoma," even when she then goes on to say you don't have it yet, has a powerful ability to make you a lot more cautious about such things.

I've had some cancerous skin cells removed a couple times over the years.  I suppose in that sense its doubly good I usually run before sunrise.  I do try to wear long sleeve clothes as long as I can while hiking and wear a hat.  Otherwise I end up using a crap ton of SPF 50.

J N Winkler

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 07, 2022, 02:56:28 PMMy problem is that taking a shower doesn't really help cool me down after working in the yard. Maybe I need to blast myself with my wife's hair dryer (holding down the button for cool air) before I shower.

Last summer I developed a strategy for managing hydration and avoiding heat exhaustion while working outside in the heat and humidity.

*  Before going out, drink a tall glass of water and take 1 g of Vitamin C and 250 mg of magnesium (as magnesium oxide rather than magnesium citrate).

*  Take drinking water outside if the chores are expected to take more than an hour.

*  Drink a tall glass of cold water immediately after coming in from the heat.

If I work outside and then take a shower before I eat lunch, which in the summer usually consists of salad with green leaf lettuce, spring onions, tomato, and diced chicken with ranch dressing, I season the freshly sliced tomatoes with potassium chloride (No Salt or similar).

I evolved this approach after reading a 2016 research paper dealing with control of hypertension in heat-exposed Chinese steelworkers.  It notes that losses of Vitamin C, potassium, and calcium in sweat are positively correlated with high blood pressure.  Although it doesn't directly recommend taking magnesium tablets, it does note that high serum magnesium level is negatively correlated with blood pressure.

If I go outside to walk in the evening on a hot and humid day, on coming back indoors I strip naked to cool down, drink a tall glass of water, take a wet washcloth to wipe sweat off my face, neck, upper shoulders, and arms from wrist to halfway between elbow and armpit, and then dress once dry.  If it is unusually hot, I may also eat ice cream, not just to cool down but also to rehydrate (sucrose, the main sweetener in ice cream, is an approved substitute for glucose in oral rehydration solution).

Quote from: kphoger on June 07, 2022, 03:10:14 PMBecause, as I said in my next post, I can't stand sweaty (or wet) clothes clinging to me.  This is especially true with heavy clothes like jeans and sweatshirts.  It's not so bad if it's just a pair of running shorts or a tank top undershirt.

What about clothes cut from lighter fabric, such as long-sleeved T-shirts and old khaki trousers?  My yard trousers are basically worn-out khakis, and my current long-sleeved T-shirt is a Red Cross blood donation thank-you.

Quote from: kphoger on June 07, 2022, 03:10:14 PMBecause mine don't go straight into the wash after I come back inside, and I don't want to put a pair of damp and stinky pants in the laundry basket to fester until the weekend.  Even my socks and tank top undershirt get draped somewhere to dry out before going in the laundry basket.  Unless something unusual happens, we don't do a whole "load" of laundry for just one change of clothes.

Is it possible to adjust the amount of water used?  When I wash yard clothes after mowing, I usually throw in other items that belong in a hot load--such as bath towels, washcloths, socks, underwear, and the cloths I use for cleaning the screens on my phone and tablet--and still dial down the water.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 07, 2022, 04:27:06 PM
Last summer I developed a strategy for managing hydration and avoiding heat exhaustion while working outside in the heat and humidity.

*  Before going out, drink a tall glass of water and take 1 g of Vitamin C and 250 mg of magnesium (as magnesium oxide rather than magnesium citrate).

*  Take drinking water outside if the chores are expected to take more than an hour.

If I work outside and then take a shower before I eat lunch, which in the summer usually consists of salad with green leaf lettuce, spring onions, tomato, and diced chicken with ranch dressing, I season the freshly sliced tomatoes with potassium chloride (No Salt or similar).

Here's my strategy:

1.  Drink something before going outside.  Maybe.  Yeah, probably.  Well, maybe.
2.  Work.
3.  If I feel like I can't go on without a break or a drink of water, then take a break or drink water.  Or if my wife insists.

That's it.

You and I are so different.

What about clothes cut from lighter fabric, such as long-sleeved T-shirts and old khaki trousers?  My yard trousers are basically worn-out khakis, and my current long-sleeved T-shirt is a Red Cross blood donation thank-you.

They still cling to me, which I dislike.  And they don't allow my sweat to evaporate.  Honestly, the idea of wearing long sleeves to mow the lawn in 100°F weather is unthinkable to me.  Ick!

Is it possible to adjust the amount of water used?  When I wash yard clothes after mowing, I usually throw in other items that belong in a hot load--such as bath towels, washcloths, socks, underwear, and the cloths I use for cleaning the screens on my phone and tablet--and still dial down the water.

You're still trying to solve something that isn't a problem.  Remember, I'm the guy who would mow the lawn naked if socially acceptable.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on June 07, 2022, 04:37:30 PM
Remember, I'm the guy who would mow the lawn naked if socially acceptable.

And risk getting your jimmy hit by a rock?  No thanks!

Scott5114

My solution is to pay the dude who mows the yard of the rental house next door $60 to do my yard too while he's there.

Doing yard work is overrated.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 07, 2022, 05:25:08 PM

I used to look at it as a workout opportunity combined with "getting in touch with nature" as well as surveying the backyard. It was nice for 60-90 minutes if the lawn hadn't grown much, but the peak summer moments that take 2-3 hours, and then feeling totally drained, was just not worth my lost weekend time. So I pay folks to mow and edge and I'm fine with that.

I do about an hour of gardening each month nowadays, maybe a little longer when spring begins.

Scott5114

Yeah, there's something to be said about going out and merely enjoying existing on the property, but I accomplish that by doing a short walk-around when going out to check the mail, collect the garbage cans, or check on the pool. Spending multiple hours out there isn't a good use of my time, and I get no personal satisfaction out of it. Both of those are probably partially due to the fairly basic lawnmower and weedeater I have, which led to a result that took twice as long and was half as good as just paying Marcus do it for me.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on June 07, 2022, 04:37:30 PMYou and I are so different.

Yup!

Quote from: kphoger on June 07, 2022, 04:37:30 PMThey still cling to me, which I dislike.  And they don't allow my sweat to evaporate.  Honestly, the idea of wearing long sleeves to mow the lawn in 100°F weather is unthinkable to me.  Ick!

I don't worry about the sweat as long as I'm staying ahead on hydration and nutrient loss.  Feeling fresh again is what the shower is for.

Admittedly, I'm dealing with a larger lot as well as sidelong ground with loose small rocks and a history of poison ivy, so that informs my dress choices.

I'd say that complete sweat soaking is a bit of an exaggeration, BTW.  My clothes do pick up a considerable amount of sweat, but even if the day is hot enough that I end up with pools of it in my glasses and sunshades, the soak-through usually starts below my chest and ends mid-thigh.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Rothman

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 07, 2022, 02:56:28 PMMy problem is that taking a shower doesn't really help cool me down after working in the yard. Maybe I need to blast myself with my wife's hair dryer (holding down the button for cool air) before I shower.

I evolved this approach after reading a 2016 research paper dealing with control of hypertension in heat-exposed Chinese steelworkers.  It notes that losses of Vitamin C, potassium, and calcium in sweat are positively correlated with high blood pressure.  Although it doesn't directly recommend taking magnesium tablets, it does note that high serum magnesium level is negatively correlated with blood pressure.

If I go outside to walk in the evening on a hot and humid day, on coming back indoors I strip naked to cool down, drink a tall glass of water, take a wet washcloth to wipe sweat off my face, neck, upper shoulders, and arms from wrist to halfway between elbow and armpit, and then dress once dry.  If it is unusually hot, I may also eat ice cream, not just to cool down but also to rehydrate (sucrose, the main sweetener in ice cream, is an approved substitute for glucose in oral rehydration solution).

Heh.  I'd expect no less from you.  Strange that you would base an approach on the findings of a single paper rather than a more comprehensive view of the state of the art.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

My solution for hydration on a standard 13.1 mile run is as follows:

Below 60F

-  32oz water pre run.
-  32oz of Gatorade during the run.
-  24oz of water after the run.

60-70F

-  40oz water pre run.
-  32oz of Gatorade during the run.
-  40oz of water after the run.

70-80F

-  50oz water pre run.
-  40oz of Gatorade during the run.
-  30oz of water and 20oz of Gatorade after the run.

80-90F

-  60oz water pre run.
-  50oz of Gatorade during the run.
-  40oz of water and 20oz of Gatorade after the run.

Usually I just cap runs at 10 miles if it's above 90F.  Learned my lesson from an ER visit after a 14.1 mile run in 92F in 2015. 

Also, pre-run hydration takes place over no more than 30 minutes.  I try to sip water for a solid 30-40 minutes post run too.  I do try to time my last sip of water no later than an hour before I need to leave for work or some place else.  Downing so much fluid can lead to bladder issues that tend to happen all at once if not timed right.

thspfc

I never want to sweat if I don't have to. So I wear almost exclusively t-shirts and shorts when it's above 50-55.

webny99

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 07, 2022, 05:51:10 PM
Quote from: kphoger on June 07, 2022, 04:37:30 PMYou and I are so different.

Yup!

Except in one respect: you both tend to compose rather lengthy posts on this forum (with this quote ironically being the exception!)

kphoger

I don't mind the mowing itself.  It's the trimming that seems like way more work than it should be.  And I really hate the little saplings that grow all along the fence lines, up against the house, and up through the front bush.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 07, 2022, 06:43:06 PM
80-90F

-  60oz water pre run.
-  50oz of Gatorade during the run.
-  40oz of water and 20oz of Gatorade after the run.

I used to just mix sugar and salt and lemon juice into some water, for a poor man's Gatorade.

Do you buy the regular Gatorade or the G2 stuff?  I like both.

My dad and I used to play competitive Frisbee.  We'd go up to the high school football field and play for points.  If you missed a catch, then it was a point against you.  But, if the throw was determined to be uncatchable, then it was a point against the other player instead.  Basically, the goal was to make the other person have to do as much work as possible to catch the Frisbee without it being impossible.  Really good exercise, because most of the catches involved sprinting.  Anyway, one day my dad and I had been playing this game with a German foreign exchange student who was living with us.  It was hot, and we were tired when we got home.  We popped open some Gatorade, then my dad got the idea to mix it with sparkling mineral water and some Rumple Minze.  Wow, that hit the spot!

The lawn was dry enough for me to mow when I got home today, so that's what I did.  It was 87°F, but it felt more like about 94°F or so, for some reason.  40% humidity.  Anyway, here was my routine:

1.  Changed into gym shorts, a white tank top undershirt, and an old pair of sneakers.

2.  No pre-mowing hydration at all.

3.  Mowed the front yard, started feeling worn down, almost decided to take a break as I headed to the back yard.

4.  Perked up as I started mowing the back yard, which is twice as large but has a little more shade than the front, so didn't take a break.

5.  Mowed the back yard, put the mower away, replaced the window well covers, locked the shed, headed around front to take my shoes off and go inside.

6.  Realized I'd forgotten to mow half the front yard (I had cut a path through the middle, mown the street-side half, then forgot I hadn't mown the house-side half.

7.  Got the mower out again, re-started it, finished the front yard, started feeling some decent heat exhaustion, but managed to finish without a break.

8.  Took a lukewarm shower, despite the active boil ban that had apparently gone into effect while I was mowing.

9.  With dinner, had a can of Dole pineapple juice and a bottle of Mike's strawberry hard lemonade.
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

G2 is solid, I try to pick it up if it is available during my regular Costco run.  Really though, I'll pretty much drink anything they have available since a couple hundred calories tends to be nominal at those run distances.  Usually I average a caloric expenditure of about 1,400 calories on a typical half marathon run.

kkt

My solution is to pay the dude who mows the yard of the rental house next door $60 to do my yard too while he's there.

:clap:

kkt

Gatorade is overrated.  If you're not a serious athlete in training for a marathon or something you probably just need the water, not the electrolytes.  And if you are in training, you should do your own research, but probably less sugars would be good.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on June 08, 2022, 12:06:52 AM
Gatorade is overrated.  If you're not a serious athlete in training for a marathon or something you probably just need the water, not the electrolytes.  And if you are in training, you should do your own research, but probably less sugars would be good.

Avoiding sugar becomes overrated during strenuous cardio training.  Really the goal isn't to lose weight "per se"  with training, so really anything lessens that gap between caloric intake/expenditure is good.  Figure for every mile run the average person is going to expend 100-150 calories.

thspfc

Gatorade is a scam. I drink water only.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thspfc on June 08, 2022, 11:12:26 AM
Gatorade is a scam. I drink water only.

It isn't worth it usually for someone totally inactive but the electrolytes do make a significant difference for an athlete.  In fact when I ended up in the ER for dehydration after that 14.1 mile run above the only real thing the hospital gave me was a crap ton of Gatorade coupled with EKGs.  It also makes a huge difference relieving hang overs.  I've also found Gatorade helpful in relieving migraines (which probably were probably partially caused by dehydration).

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.