News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

__________ is/are overrated.

Started by kphoger, April 28, 2022, 10:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Quote from: jakeroot on November 03, 2023, 09:41:54 PM
Music should be off-limits. Every single generation thinks the generation of music following their preferred generation of music is of poor quality. There seems to be genuinely few people who enjoy all genres of music across multiple decades.

I don't think the current generation of music is bad, I just don't have as much time to sample as much of it to form an opinion. And that's very typical of people once they hit 30 or so; your experiences are very much tied into the music you enjoyed and our memories attach and gravitate to what we know and enjoy.

Whereas probably 98-99% of folks my age write it all off, I sometimes hear things I like and stuff I don't care for (or think just sucks) but that hasn't really changed since I first got into music in the 1980s. There's always been crap music but honestly, forty-somethings aren't really going to relate much to a target audience of 13-25, which most popular music charts aim towards.

Full disclosure, The Weeknd and Ariana Grande aren't really terrible but I'm not going to proselytize their work...

thspfc

Music should be off-limits. Every single generation thinks the generation of music following their preferred generation of music is of poor quality. There seems to be genuinely few people who enjoy all genres of music across multiple decades.
You don't even have to enjoy or "appreciate" different kinds of music. Simply understanding that it's a matter of opinion is sufficently nuanced and yet 90% of people fail to meet that bar. That doesn't mean you can't voice your opinion, but you also can't convey it like it's objective.

Quote from: hbelkins on November 03, 2023, 02:03:03 PM
I would not recognize a Taylor Swift song if I heard it.
Ok . . . ? Congradulations?

webny99

Quote from: LilianaUwU on November 03, 2023, 09:15:55 PM
Quote from: vdeane on November 03, 2023, 08:42:12 PM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on November 03, 2023, 02:44:06 PM
I recognize Taylor Swift songs by their blandness.
I sense some bad blood here.
Bad blood against her rabid fanbase who will doxx you if you dare say anything negative about her, yes.

Bad Blood, also a Swift song. That one took me a minute.  :spin:

Rothman

Teresa Brewer, "Put Another Nickel In."  Taylor Swift of her time.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

LilianaUwU

One of my favorite songs of all time is this, so please disregard me already.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

jeffandnicole

Regardless if you like Taylor's music, one thing is certain - she is an awesome business woman. No one becomes a billionaire by accident.

Rothman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 03, 2023, 11:18:08 PM
Regardless if you like Taylor's music, one thing is certain - she is an awesome business woman. No one becomes a billionaire by accident.
"Senators and presidents don't have men killed."

"Oh.  Who's being naive, Kay?"
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

Big John

Max Rockatansky

LilianaUwU

—Mr. Thwomp

Rothman

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Rothman on November 05, 2023, 09:50:52 AM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on November 05, 2023, 09:48:07 AM
The Godfather
We were doing so well until you were wrong.
I thought we were just naming popular movies at that point.
—Mr. Thwomp

formulanone

Quote from: LilianaUwU on November 05, 2023, 09:55:10 AM
Quote from: Rothman on November 05, 2023, 09:50:52 AM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on November 05, 2023, 09:48:07 AM
The Godfather
We were doing so well until you were wrong.
I thought we were just naming popular movies at that point.
Nice recovery.

Casablanca (though I haven't tried to watch it in 25 years, maybe it's improved in my mind)

kphoger

TV shows or movies that you have fond memories of from your childhood.  Almost without fail, if you go back and watch them now, you wonder how you ever thought they were so great.

Prime example for me:  the movie Milo and Otis

Honorable mention:  the series Gilligan's Island
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Seinfeld aged well, a lot of my favorite 80s cartoons are only good now because of camp factor. 

roadman65

Taxi is still goin strong on Pluto TV. That was great now as it was then.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

mgk920

Many of the 1950s and 1960s era 'adult' westerns aged very well and are still quite watchable and entertaining if you can find them.

Mike

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on November 06, 2023, 10:35:48 AM
TV shows or movies that you have fond memories of from your childhood.  Almost without fail, if you go back and watch them now, you wonder how you ever thought they were so great.

I didn't think Gilligan's Island was that funny when I was a kid.

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 06, 2023, 10:38:48 AM
Seinfeld aged well, a lot of my favorite 80s cartoons are only good now because of camp factor. 

Quote from: roadman65 on November 06, 2023, 10:46:57 AM
Taxi is still goin strong on Pluto TV. That was great now as it was then.

Quote from: mgk920 on November 06, 2023, 11:38:08 AM
Many of the 1950s and 1960s era 'adult' westerns aged very well and are still quite watchable and entertaining if you can find them.

I have fond memories of these, but not from early childhood.  Rather, I remember them from when I was a teenager.  Sorry, perhaps I should have been more specific in that I meant early childhood.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bugo

I like Curb Your Enthusiasm better because Larry David is hilarious.

kphoger

Also:  Fraggle Rock is nowhere near as good as I remember it being.
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

^^^

The Fraggles can do no wrong...

Quote from: bugo on November 06, 2023, 02:19:21 PM

George, Kramer and the huge background cast of notable secondary characters is what does it for me with Seinfeld. 

bugo

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 06, 2023, 03:31:06 PM
Quote from: bugo on November 06, 2023, 02:19:21 PM
George, Kramer and the huge background cast of notable secondary characters is what does it for me with Seinfeld. 

One thing I like about Curb Your Enthusiasm is the cast. Much of the dialogue is ad-libbed, and they cast has incredible chemistry. The characters might not be quite as eccentric as the Seinfeld cast, but they're just as strong in their own ways.

CtrlAltDel

Those poor people . . .
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.