News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Can you drive the Blue Ridge Parkway from south to north in one day?

Started by Roadgeekteen, August 07, 2022, 04:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 10, 2022, 08:38:40 PM
Quote from: webny99 on August 09, 2022, 03:07:56 PM
So the main arguments for radar detectors so far are 1) they're necessary to identify police running radar, and 2) identifying police running radar should change your driving behavior. 

I don't believe either of those things are necessarily true. For 1), you can usually spot them in advance if you're alert

Do the police not use unmarked cars, park behind obstructions, or write tickets at night where you are?

I've never owned a radar detector–I just set cruise to the speed limit and grumble when it's underposted–but I think any pretense that the cops "play fair" when it comes to being able to spot them without technological aids is wishful thinking.

Yes to all three, but unmarked cars aren't much harder to spot than regular police cars if you know what to look for (license plates, antennas, etc.). As for obstructions, on freeways they usually sit in the median U-turns (sometimes behind trees or tall grass), which are themselves easy enough to spot even if the cop isn't. Approaching those with some extra caution if they're hidden or subject to poor visibility is usually sufficient. I seem to recall cops hiding on the right side of the roadway on I-81 in Virginia, which I thought was egregious. I've rarely seen that in NY, if ever.

Quote from: Rothman on August 10, 2022, 08:41:36 PM
Cruise to the speed limit?  How achingly slow.

Certainly true here, but less so further west.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 07, 2022, 04:08:36 PM
My family is visiting the region and is wondering. Also, is the North Carolina or Virginia part better?

Technically you could do it in a day, but it's not advisable-you'd miss a lot. Not to mention the potential vertigo-inducing twists and turns when you're trying to conquer as much distance as possible, especially with family.

As for states.....they're both great. if you prefer mountains (specifically the Great Smoky Mountains), North Carolina is better. If valley views are more your thing, Virginia is better. I think NC is slightly better for off-parkway things to do (Asheville, Boone, Gatlinburg, TN).

Avalanchez71

I started to do this once on an unexpected trip.  However, I had to get off after while as it was taking a long time. 

TheHighwayMan3561

So the main arguments for radar detectors so far are 1) they're necessary to identify police running radar, and 2) identifying police running radar should change your driving behavior. 

I don't believe either of those things are necessarily true. For 1), you can usually spot them in advance if you're alert

Do the police not use unmarked cars, park behind obstructions, or write tickets at night where you are?

I've never owned a radar detector–I just set cruise to the speed limit and grumble when it's underposted–but I think any pretense that the cops "play fair" when it comes to being able to spot them without technological aids is wishful thinking.

And yet I think I prefer my current lifetime total of zero speeding tickets, somehow.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 10, 2022, 10:02:51 PM

And yet I think I prefer my current lifetime total of zero speeding tickets, somehow.
*shrug*

Eh, sure I've had a few speeding tickets (three, I think).  One was from a nasty speed trap in Waverly, VA where anyone would have gotten a ticket (I sped up to the higher speed limit sign about 100 feet in front of it)...another was in a work zone where another car flew by me right as I passed the Trooper; Trooper didn't show up to the hearing and it was greatly reduced.  Last one was about ten years ago.  None ever affected my insurance.  So, sure, I'm down about $400 altogether and a little time for court appearances (and the lawyer racket in Waverly) over...30 years of driving or so?  So, congratulations on those savings while you putt-putt around.

I've found that you can speed a little and be just fine.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

I live in Oklahoma.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Rothman on August 10, 2022, 10:26:58 PM
Eh, sure I've had a few speeding tickets (three, I think).  One was from a nasty speed trap in Waverly, VA where anyone would have gotten a ticket (I sped up to the higher speed limit sign about 100 feet in front of it)...another was in a work zone where another car flew by me right as I passed the Trooper; Trooper didn't show up to the hearing and it was greatly reduced.  Last one was about ten years ago.  None ever affected my insurance.  So, sure, I'm down about $400 altogether and a little time for court appearances (and the lawyer racket in Waverly) over...30 years of driving or so?  So, congratulations on those savings while you putt-putt around.

I've found that you can speed a little and be just fine.

Of course for the most part you'll be fine. I've driven excessively before on a few occasions. It's not like I'm one of those idiots who slams on the brakes as soon as they hit 1 over. For me, it's a few things. If I'm going to be driving 8-10 or more hours in a day, having to keep an eye out for cops or wondering about that random Explorer tailing me for 20 miles despite ample passing opportunities is a stressor I don't need. In general I'm just not in the mood to let cops decide if they feel like fucking with me or not based on their mood or some department directive or whatever. I know I'm in the extreme minority on this subject, but speeding just doesn't excite me. But you guys do you.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

It's somewhat satisfying when you know you're pissing them off by driving under the limit. I was in Bonanza, Arkansas, yesterday, and there was a very obviously posted cop with his windows rolled down along AR-45. I went by at around 25 mph since that's what the "downtown small town" speed limit in Oklahoma tends to be–turns out the limit there was 40, which explained the exasperated expression on his face and the "hurry it up" hand gesture he did.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 11, 2022, 01:09:33 AM
For me, it's a few things. If I'm going to be driving 8-10 or more hours in a day, having to keep an eye out for cops or wondering about that random Explorer tailing me for 20 miles despite ample passing opportunities is a stressor I don't need.

I think I alluded to this upthread, but watching for cops is part of what helps me keep awake on longer road trips, especially at twilight/dusk and beyond.

And again it is important to note the regional differences here, because speeding less than 10 over is basically a non-issue in the Northeast, to the point where I don't necessarily slow down to the speed limit when passing a cop on the Thruway.

Henry

Let's see: The whole road is 469 miles long, and the maximum speed limit is 45 MPH, so assuming you don't stop anywhere along the way, you'll make it to the other end in a little bit under 10 1/2 hours. The speed limit is lower in places, which increases the drive time, but it's still doable.

Add Skyline Drive to the mix, and things get a bit tougher. It's 105 miles long, but the speed limit is only 35 MPH, so you'll clinch the whole thing in 3 hours. So anywhere between 13 1/2 to 14 hours will be the total drive time if you include both roads on your trip. While the combined journey can be made in one day, it's definitely not advisable to do so, especially since you may want to take breaks while you're on it.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

seicer

hbelkins

Just because the top speed limit is 45 doesn't mean you can drive the whole thing at 45. There are some curves that require slowing down to a much slower rate of speed, just like any rural road in the surrounding areas that might be posted at 55 mph. There are plenty of straight stretches where you can air it out to 60 or thereabouts, but you'll have to slow down soon enough to negotiate a turn.

I think two days with good weather would be sufficient to enjoy the road. I'm not sure where the halfway point is. Asheville seems too far south and Roanoke too far north. There are lodging options in the Hillsville area, not far from where the BRP crosses US 52 and I-77 near Fancy Gap. And there's a Sheetz at Galax.

We have other radar detector threads, but in general my derived benefit from using one is not on freeways, as I don't tend to go above 80, but on Kentucky's four-lanes that are underposted at 55, and on little wide spots in the road where limits are reduced to 45 or 35 or even 25.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ran4sh

Quote from: webny99 on August 11, 2022, 10:04:38 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 11, 2022, 01:09:33 AM
For me, it's a few things. If I'm going to be driving 8-10 or more hours in a day, having to keep an eye out for cops or wondering about that random Explorer tailing me for 20 miles despite ample passing opportunities is a stressor I don't need.

I think I alluded to this upthread, but watching for cops is part of what helps me keep awake on longer road trips, especially at twilight/dusk and beyond.

And again it is important to note the regional differences here, because speeding less than 10 over is basically a non-issue in the Northeast, to the point where I don't necessarily slow down to the speed limit when passing a cop on the Thruway.

Do you slow down for cops at all and/or is your normal driving speed less than 10 over? Because even outside the Northeast I would think that those of us that drive 80 on a freeway slow down to 75 or 70 when passing a cop where the speed limit is 70 or 65.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

webny99

Quote from: ran4sh on August 12, 2022, 03:23:29 PM
Quote from: webny99 on August 11, 2022, 10:04:38 AM

Do you slow down for cops at all and/or is your normal driving speed less than 10 over? Because even outside the Northeast I would think that those of us that drive 80 on a freeway slow down to 75 or 70 when passing a cop where the speed limit is 70 or 65.

Yes, I will slow down to a max of 10 over when passing a cop, often down to 5 over or the speed limit as the flow of traffic dictates. And my normal speed is 70 mph on 55 mph freeways and 10-15 over on most other roads, depending on context, so that does usually require slowing down a bit, but not to the point where you're out of luck if you don't see the cop in advance.

But on long trips/when using cruise control, I will normally set the cruise around 10 over and then accelerate if I want to go faster, so "slowing down" often means just letting off the accelerator until past the cop.

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on August 10, 2022, 09:38:21 PM
I seem to recall cops hiding on the right side of the roadway on I-81 in Virginia, which I thought was egregious. I've rarely seen that in NY, if ever.

Well, that was a predictable turn of events. Of course, I jinxed it. Just today I saw a cop running radar sitting under this VMS on I-590. Mid afternoon traffic was heavy and I was in the left lane so I almost didn't see him, and may not have if not for other traffic braking/slowing down. Location noted for future trips.  :)

webny99

Roadgeekteen, I'm curious if you ever ended up driving on any of the Blue Ridge Pkwy or Skyline Drive, and if so, what you thought of driving the whole thing in one day.  :D

Takumi

In my experience on the BRP, cyclists and fauna (deer) are bigger concerns for watching your speed than police. I only saw park rangers, not state or local. But it's quite a drive.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

MATraveler128

I would say it's the same. I did Skyline Drive this summer and never saw any police. I was going about 45 mph the whole way. Although I saw more bikes on US 211 approaching Thornton's Gap than in the park itself.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

skluth

I saw a couple speed traps when I drove the Parkway back in 2007 on a fall colors trip. (One was around Roanoke where it looked like some locals used the BRP as a bypass. The other was after a long downhill between there and Boone but I don't remember exactly where.) I took three days plus one additional day for the Vanderbilt mansion in Asheville. I started the first day from my home in Portsmouth VA, so it's really about 2.5 days. It could probably be done in two days but I wouldn't do it any faster. If you only have one day, you can probably see a few highlights like Mt Mitchell and the Mabry Mill and drive just a few smaller sections while otherwise using the nearby highways to save time (some of which are quick beautiful themselves). I didn't do Skyline Drive then because I had seen it previously, though I will recommend it if you haven't seen it.

Roadgeekteen

I did end up doing parts of the parkway is random chunks throughout the route, including Mount Mitchell. I also did the whole Skyline Drive.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

tmoore952

To answer the question, it would be a very long day, and probably not an enjoyable one.

To address other topics here, I once (October 1994) got a speeding ticket in Grand Canyon National Park, on the north side, between the north rim and the Utah border. I remember it was rather expensive (well into triple digits in $$$, and nearly 30 years ago). So yes that can happen.

I have had more than my share of speeding tickets despite being a rather slow driver (compared to what I read here). I tend to drive closer to the speed limit, not only to avoid tickets but also for fuel economy.

Many of the speeding tickets occurred in NJ, in which (at least in the '90s, when all this occurred) each town had their own police force which I assume had to raise revenue. I got speeding tickets on I-195 around the Six Flags exit -- there were places along the side of the road where the cops would hide. I also got tickets in Tinton Township (near Red Bank in the eastern part of the state), Lambertville (right across the Delaware River from New Hope PA), Howell Township (right near eastern end of I-195), and Brigantine (town immediately north of Atlantic City) for one thing or another (not speeding).

Funny thing was, for all of those tickets, I had a PA plate since I lived there (therefore was out of state which must have lit up the (collective) cops' eyes). I paid all the tickets, and none of them ever showed up on my record. Hmmmm.

Later, in 2001, I got a ticket on I-66 in Virginia, right near the Vienna metro station. I had a VA plate then, and that one DID show up on my record.

Have not gotten one since (22 years and counting).

pderocco

I just drove Skyline Drive a little over a week ago. Most people were driving the straighter stretches at 40-45 (5-10 over). I didn't see anything that resembled a cop. I then continued onto the Blue Ridge Parkway, and most people were driving the straighter stretches at 5-10 over. I didn't see any cops there, either. However, I found the road pretty boring, and dropped off after 45 miles at US-60. Even Skyline wasn't that interesting, but it had some nice views. I guess I'm spoiled by the Southwest: continuous views almost all the time, with a lot of variety.

Rothman

I suppose various colors of dirt would be a sort of variety. :D. The idea of views being continuous on I-10 west of Phoenix (for example) and rivaling the BRP is certainly a unique position.

That said, at the recent convention of the National Park Travelers Club, a representative of a support foundation for the Blue Ridge Parkway admitted that the VA section of the road is a bit underwhelming, at least further south than you were, actually.

Still, the BRP down in NC has some of the most spectacular views in the country, in my opinion (as do a few roads in the Southwest that come to mind, but saying that the Southwest is continuously scenic everywhere is a bit much :D). 

Then again, saying Skyline Drive was boring except for some nice views is also a little amusing.  Anyone giving an NPS map even a cursory look would know that it is a ridge road with overlooks.  Not sure what else one would expect.  Entertainment?  Comedy acts and bands at every stop? :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Flint1979

LOL I have an uncle that lives in Vermont and one that lived in North Carolina before he died in 2008 but anyway my uncle from Vermont was going to visit my uncle from North Carolina and decided to take the Blue Ridge Parkway. My uncle from NC told him that taking the Blue Ridge Parkway is going to take a lot longer.

pderocco

Quote from: Rothman on October 17, 2023, 07:16:06 AM
I suppose various colors of dirt would be a sort of variety. :D. The idea of views being continuous on I-10 west of Phoenix (for example) and rivaling the BRP is certainly a unique position.

That said, at the recent convention of the National Park Travelers Club, a representative of a support foundation for the Blue Ridge Parkway admitted that the VA section of the road is a bit underwhelming, at least further south than you were, actually.

Still, the BRP down in NC has some of the most spectacular views in the country, in my opinion (as do a few roads in the Southwest that come to mind, but saying that the Southwest is continuously scenic everywhere is a bit much :D). 

Then again, saying Skyline Drive was boring except for some nice views is also a little amusing.  Anyone giving an NPS map even a cursory look would know that it is a ridge road with overlooks.  Not sure what else one would expect.  Entertainment?  Comedy acts and bands at every stop? :D
I think you misread me. I didn't mean to imply that every road in the Southwest is spectacular, or even scenic. The low desert in the southern parts of CA/AZ/NM tends to be less beautiful or interesting. But the roads that are spectacular are generally continuously spectacular, not just a short burst of spectacular every few miles. US-395 in the Owens Valley. Badwater Road in Death Valley. CA-120 and CA-108 over the mountains have long stretches of open views. US-89 and US-89A in northern AZ and southern UT. UT-12 and UT-24 and Monument Valley with their amazing rock formations.

I noticed this feeling while driving through Skyline: I felt slightly claustrophobic in the corridors of trees, and every now and then there was a respite that you could stretch out by stopping. Then back into the trees.

I've felt that even worse in the PacNW, where I lived for a while. You can drive along the old US-30 in the Gorge, right next to the Columbia River, and rarely see any of it due to 10 feet of trees and bushes between the road and the edge of the cliff.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.