News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Happy New Year 2023!

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, December 31, 2022, 06:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Happy new year, everyone!

SSOWorld

Me in 2022 - Spoilers without Context

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Henry

Happy New Year! Let's make 2023 a great one!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

kphoger

Am I the only one who has now resumed calling years by only the last two digits?  It seems like nearly everyone I hear say the year still says all four digits.

Last year was '21.  This year is '23.  Anyone else doing this yet?

I think it was popular in the first decade ('06, '09), but then people stopped after that (2010, 2019) and just never resumed.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

triplemultiplex

This year is probably going to suck.
But happy new year anyway.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

JoePCool14

Quote from: kphoger on January 03, 2023, 09:46:38 AM
Am I the only one who has now resumed calling years by only the last two digits?  It seems like nearly everyone I hear say the year still says all four digits.

I think it was popular in the first decade ('06, '09), but then people stopped after that (2010, 2019) and just never resumed.

Not yet, but that kind of thing will probably pick back up again. It's the early 10's that just don't sound good on their own.

"Yeah, I got my house back in '10" versus "Yeah, I got my house back in '21".

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kphoger

Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 03, 2023, 12:52:25 PM

Not yet, but that kind of thing will probably pick back up again. It's the early 10's that just don't sound good on their own.

I agree that "twenty-ten" sounds awkward.  I've been saying my sons' birth years like this:

– was born in oh-eight.
– was born in twenty-ten
– was born in fourteen

I used to say that my youngest "was born in twenty-fourteen", but not anymore.

On the other hand, I have a daughter from a previous relationship who was born in 2000, and I'm sure that will never be "was born in oh-oh".   :spin:
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JoePCool14

Quote from: kphoger on January 03, 2023, 01:00:17 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 03, 2023, 12:52:25 PM

I agree that "twenty-ten" sounds awkward.  I've been saying my sons' birth years like this:

– was born in oh-eight.
– was born in twenty-ten
– was born in fourteen

I used to say that my youngest "was born in twenty-fourteen", but not anymore.

On the other hand, I have a daughter from a previous relationship who was born in 2000, and I'm sure that will never be "was born in oh-oh".   :spin:

For the record, I was born in 2000 and I've never said I was born in "oh-oh". I might have to start just to mess with people. I usually just say I was born in "two-thousand".

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kphoger

Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 03, 2023, 03:57:48 PM
For the record, I was born in 2000 and I've never said I was born in "oh-oh". I might have to start just to mess with people. I usually just say I was born in "two-thousand".

We could both agree to start saying "twenty oh zero".   :nod:
Male pronouns, please.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on January 03, 2023, 05:11:31 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 03, 2023, 03:57:48 PM

We could both agree to start saying "twenty oh zero".   :nod:

I'm gonna say that just to mess with people.

Some people mention their vehicle's model year and say some odd stuff: "twenty-six" (for 2006) and "two-oh-nine" (for 2009) and it's as if four digits is just too much to handle. I get that people sometimes blurt out mistakes but I hear it all over the country, so it's not a regionalism.

1995hoo

This discussion makes me remember how in the 1980s and most of the 1990s people generally referred to "the year 2000," seldom just plain "2000." That usage died out pretty quickly once said year arrived.

I think I started saying "twenty-(year)" in 2010. But I still don't truncate years in this century with one exception–some car model years (my wife's '03 RSX or my '04 TL, but I refer to my wife's TLX as a 2015 TLX and not as a '15 TLX). I generally didn't do so in the last century either, except in references to car model years or class graduation years (Class of '91). I've never said, for example, "I was born in '73."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

I've actually heard people refer to 2010 as "oh-10."  :banghead:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on January 03, 2023, 06:18:32 PM

Reminds me of how some people in DC say a ZIP Code like 20005 as "two thousand five," which I find grating.

kphoger

Oh, good grief.  Why did you have to go and remind me that was a thing?

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 03, 2023, 06:20:46 PM
Reminds me of how some people in DC say a ZIP Code like 20005 as "two thousand five," which I find grating.

Same here.  It's like you're supposed to pick up on the implied hyphen/comma/whatever, yet they don't actually pause to imply it's there.  In my own context, it's field techs asking to have an 80004 code added to their work order by saying "eight thousand, four" over the phone.
Male pronouns, please.

formulanone

Yeah, that too. "It's an oh-twelve Mustang", but even harder to parse if it's all numbers "yeah, my twenty-oh-sixteen three-twenty-five".

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on January 03, 2023, 07:05:15 PM

Same here.  It's like you're supposed to pick up on the implied hyphen/comma/whatever, yet they don't actually pause to imply it's there.  In my own context, it's field techs asking to have an 80004 code added to their work order by saying "eight thousand, four" over the phone.

Of course, if a comma is implied, it would go three places from the right, so "80,004", so "eighty thousand, four".

Really, the root cause here is that numbers with long strings of zeros in the middle are just kind of awkward to say in English. If I have any say in the matter (like if I'm picking a code number or something like that) I'll try to fudge things so that the digits in the middle aren't zero.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

A comment in the General Highway Talk thread about road numbers reflecting area codes mentioned MD-410. That, in turn, prompted me to think of the people who refer to that area code as "four-ten" instead of "four-one-zero." I've pretty much always heard area codes referred to as three distinct digits–that is, for instance, I give my work area code as "two-one-two," never as "two-twelve"–except for when those people refer to that one area code as "four-ten." It just sounds weird. I don't recite phone numbers or ZIP Codes as combinations of digits either.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 03, 2023, 08:19:39 PM

Quote from: kphoger on January 03, 2023, 07:05:15 PM

Of course, if a comma is implied, it would go three places from the right, so "80,004", so "eighty thousand, four".

Really, the root cause here is that numbers with long strings of zeros in the middle are just kind of awkward to say in English. If I have any say in the matter (like if I'm picking a code number or something like that) I'll try to fudge things so that the digits in the middle aren't zero.

I meant that they were probably intending something like "8000–4" or "8000, 4" or "8000... 4" but failing to actually pause and imply the punctuation.

As for doing without numbers with a bunch of zeroes in the middle, it was kind of random in my work context.  80004 is a business account work order code.  Codes with similar beginning digits are all somewhat related to each other, and often the final digits are related to other non-business account codes.  An example of the latter is that a 27811 code is the business account equivalent of what used to be an 811 code for residential accounts a decade ago.  So, in the case of 80004, the 80 part at the beginning exists because it's a certain type of code (a generic-type video code), and there are a whole bunch of such codes beginning with 80.  Work order alterations at my company were outsourced to India years ago, and we never really dealt with business account to begin with before that.  But there are a few cases where my company still finds it cost-effective to just have us alter or enter a business work order, rather than going through the company in India.  It's a limited set of circumstances, though:  basically, the code has to (1) not change any monthly services for the customer, (2) not charge the customer any money, and (3) be something we already know the code for.  And there aren't very many codes that meet those criteria.  It just so happens that the one we most commonly use is 80004.  (Two others that I can remember offhand are 11924 and BMOLDING.)
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.