News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-69 in TN

Started by Grzrd, November 27, 2010, 06:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARMOURERERIC

Still not as bad as the Shelby NC bypass

edwaleni

Quote from: seicer on July 20, 2022, 05:33:25 PM
It's not like the old bypass is that congested. I know that Tennessee takes its time on highway construction and planning because its reluctance to take on debt but... this is painfully slow.

We are up to what 12 years since the dirt first turned over?

Google Maps history show dirt at US-51 as far back as 2009.

seicer

Someone posted those roads in... Alabama that have been graded with some bridges built having sat idle for a decade +.

ilpt4u

Quote from: seicer on July 21, 2022, 09:31:38 PM
Someone posted those roads in... Alabama that have been graded with some bridges built having sat idle for a decade +.
That is nothing. Sections of US 50 in Illinois have grading done for a second carriageway with the second carriageway bridges over creeks built, and they have been there, unused, for decades. i believe these were built out when US 50 was still to be the routing of I-64. Been abandoned for just as bit now

Revive 755

Quote from: ilpt4u on July 21, 2022, 10:12:42 PM
That is nothing. Sections of US 50 in Illinois have grading done for a second carriageway with the second carriageway bridges over creeks built, and they have been there, unused, for decades. i believe these were built out when US 50 was still to be the routing of I-64. Been abandoned for just as bit now

If this is for the Lebanon - Caryle section of US 50, I really think those were for the supplemental freeway along US 50 (and HistoricAerials.com seems to back this).

EDIT
It's not like the old bypass is that congested. I know that Tennessee takes its time on highway construction and planning because its reluctance to take on debt but... this is painfully slow.

It does have a couple revenue cameras that discourage use of the corridor.

Alex

You are thinking of the realignment of U.S. 98 in Mobile County. Grading for the four lane highway near Wilmer from January 29, 2010:

This grading work was completed sometime in 2009. They are finally working on the actual road, but the completion keeps getting delayed due to funding issues.

edwaleni

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 21, 2022, 10:37:35 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on July 21, 2022, 10:12:42 PM

If this is for the Lebanon - Caryle section of US 50, I really think those were for the supplemental freeway along US 50 (and HistoricAerials.com seems to back this).

EDIT

It does have a couple revenue cameras that discourage use of the corridor.

This is correct. The supplemental 4 lane routing for US-50 between Xenia and Clay City was canned in 1974 as part of the oil shocks.

Funding was restored for the Lebanon-Carlye route, but "Big Jim" Thompson had the funding redirected and all work again stopped in their tracks. Today its a frankenstein road, with part 4 lane limited access, part Super 2 and part local access 2 lane. They left all the east bound bridges behind with no road for them., Today they are used by IDOT to store equipment. They are now well over 40 years old, were never maintained, and are starting to reflect the effects of nature. The Lebanon Bypass (Summerfield to IL-4)  is currently funded by IDOT and is in engineering phase, but will most likely be a Super 2 or less to save money.

The US-50 Coalition for Illinois is functionally dead and has been since 2015 when IDOT mysteriously removed the funding for the final phase of the EIS for the Olney-Lawrenceville segment.

GreenLanternCorps

rte66man

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on July 26, 2022, 09:23:29 AM
New images on Google Maps as the Google car drove by the US 51 I-69 interchange on the Northern side of Union City this month.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.4636435,-88.9791005,3a,37.4y,252.36h,87.86t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sdQ2869CfYA0vClnVvrjrzA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?authuser=1

I was struck by the amount of embankment erosion on a relatively older roadbed.

Better view, just a bit North...

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.4645278,-88.9775209,3a,22.9y,276.23h,90.17t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1skhIu2smpeL5RIjyjz9ty7A!2e0!5s20220701T000000!7i16384!8i8192?authuser=1

Does this construction package include paving or is it grade, drain, and bridge only?
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

GreenLanternCorps

IIRC the last section also includes paving the other two sections so the bypass will open.  The main travel lanes are redirected onto the bypass with drivers having to exit to remain on US 51.

abqtraveler

Any word on when TDOT will let construction contracts for the two sections that will bypass Troy?
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

GreenLanternCorps

FYI, paving on the two sections of the Union City bypass that are already built began about a year ago...

https://www.jacksonsun.com/story/news/2021/07/16/paving-interstate-69-bypass-obion-county-tennessee/7937940002/

GreenLanternCorps

Google maps is now showing the ramps that carries US 45W/51 concurrency through the interchange with I-69 as being open (or at least marked on the map).
However, they are still showing the original southbound lanes too.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.4639511,-88.9827306,17z

TNObion

Here are a few aerials I snapped in the past couple of weeks, the first is looking west toward Union City at the Claude Tucker/Section Line Rd Bridges, the second is looking North at the interchange, and the third is a general look of the interchange I took over some farmland. The southbound 51 ramp is open to traffic, however all northbound traffic is rerouted via TN 214 (Ken-Tenn RD) and as one could imagine, this created several issues along that road with accidents, etc....I included a link of the mayor speaking about this issue as well-

https://www.thunderboltradio.com/closure-of-highway-51-north-causing-traffic-issues-in-obion-county/

https://imgur.com/a/17a6H7v

hbelkins

So is northbound 51 closed all the way to South Fulton?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TNObion

Quote from: hbelkins on November 04, 2022, 11:43:11 AM

Yea from Union City to South Fulton....and it looks to be that way all winter. It's back to back traffic much of the time on 214 (Ken-Tenn Rd) with many of the vehicles being 18 wheelers. I'm currently using backroads to Union City/Fulton when possible.

triplemultiplex

Wow that's a pretty annoying fail.  Surely they could have shunted traffic around in the footprint of the interchange to build the connections rather create such a fustercluck on a two-laner!
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

civilengineeringnerd

Quote from: TNObion on November 04, 2022, 11:58:39 AM

Yea from Union City to South Fulton....and it looks to be that way all winter. It's back to back traffic much of the time on 214 (Ken-Tenn Rd) with many of the vehicles being 18 wheelers. I'm currently using backroads to Union City/Fulton when possible.
literally read the entire thread, new here to the forum and the thread but that is the biggest muckups ive ever seen TDOT do, not since the muckup they did with jacksons widing of I-40, closing the interchange and forcing the traffic to funnel into Vann Drive and carriage house drive. traffic was standstill for weeks while they got the interchange aligned. also as a fellow west tennesseean i have to pose a question that i feel isn't asked at all to funding problems with I-69 and whatever I-169 would be:
why not have 1 tolled express lane and 1-2 general purpose lanes for the length of I-69 and add a tolled express lane to I-40 each way to help fund projects in west tennessee? i can imagine they can expedite it for I-40 between memphis and Exit 126 and have electronic toll passes. they already have had a tennessee tollway authority since 07, they just need to get the express lanes built. the tolls collected can go to projects throughout west tennessee so west tennessee doesn't rely on appropriated gas taxes that middle and east tennessee is taking up. they could easily rename it the West Tennessee Tollway Authority if it needs to be shown on paper.
Every once in awhile declare peace! it confuses the hell outta your enemies!

I-55

Quote from: civilengineeringnerd on November 06, 2022, 10:37:50 PM

literally read the entire thread, new here to the forum and the thread but that is the biggest muckups ive ever seen TDOT do, not since the muckup they did with jacksons widing of I-40, closing the interchange and forcing the traffic to funnel into Vann Drive and carriage house drive. traffic was standstill for weeks while they got the interchange aligned. also as a fellow west tennesseean i have to pose a question that i feel isn't asked at all to funding problems with I-69 and whatever I-169 would be:
why not have 1 tolled express lane and 1-2 general purpose lanes for the length of I-69 and add a tolled express lane to I-40 each way to help fund projects in west tennessee? i can imagine they can expedite it for I-40 between memphis and Exit 126 and have electronic toll passes. they already have had a tennessee tollway authority since 07, they just need to get the express lanes built. the tolls collected can go to projects throughout west tennessee so west tennessee doesn't rely on appropriated gas taxes that middle and east tennessee is taking up. they could easily rename it the West Tennessee Tollway Authority if it needs to be shown on paper.

As a motorist, what is the added benefit of tolled lanes that (under current law) would be the same speed as the main lanes that aren't heavily trafficked on I-69? I-40 makes more sense than I-69 though I think standard 6-laning is the best move there since the problem is mostly truck volume. Toll lanes would increase the construction cost on I-69 and add little to no benefit and I doubt they'd be able to make that money back.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

hbelkins

How much has the amount of truck traffic increased between Union City and Fulton since US 45W/US 51 was moved off Ken-Tenn Road and onto the four-lane freeway? The two-lane road was good enough at one time.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

civilengineeringnerd

Quote from: I-55 on November 07, 2022, 04:48:25 PM
Quote from: civilengineeringnerd on November 06, 2022, 10:37:50 PM

As a motorist, what is the added benefit of tolled lanes that (under current law) would be the same speed as the main lanes that aren't heavily trafficked on I-69? I-40 makes more sense than I-69 though I think standard 6-laning is the best move there since the problem is mostly truck volume. Toll lanes would increase the construction cost on I-69 and add little to no benefit and I doubt they'd be able to make that money back.
there is electronic tolls tho. my point overall is there should be alternatives for funding most of west tennessees projects that should be considered, and having express toll lanes like in florida and georgia would keep 2 general purpose lanes open to traffic while a 3rd tolled lane would be the better solution.
if middle and east tennessee takes up the funding from gas taxes alone, then surely alternatives should be explored.
edit: forgot to add that after maintenence on the tolled lane is spent, you could take that extra money and throw it to projects like I-69.

civilengineeringnerd

Quote from: hbelkins on November 07, 2022, 08:09:54 PM
How much has the amount of truck traffic increased between Union City and Fulton since US 45W/US 51 was moved off Ken-Tenn Road and onto the four-lane freeway? The two-lane road was good enough at one time.
i can imagine a great deal, considering that manufacturing exists in dyersburg and union city, on top of trucks coming from memphis and jackson to bypass already heavily truck trafficked I-40.

triplemultiplex

Getting drivers in states with no tolls to start paying tolls is an uphill political battle.
For I-69, the only viable toll option is to toll the whole facility. There simply won't be the traffic for an "express lane" to be of any benefit.

Even on I-40 between Memphis and Nashville, there's not enough traffic for a toll lane to be worth it for anyone.  Which is why we only see those types of facilities on major commuter corridors in big cities.  And the thing is, the revenue they generate is usually only enough to pay for improvements/maintenance on the highway itself.  You're not looking at a huge new cash flow that can pay for roads elsewhere in the state.

Unless one tolls the whole thing. Then do what Oklahoma does: uses the revenue from I-44's toll routes (well, OKC to MO) to finance construction of other toll facilities. :P

I want to also note that in my experience, the HOV enforcement around Nashville is lacking to say the least. They'd probably make as much cash from HOV cheaters as actual legit tolls. :lol 
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

civilengineeringnerd

Quote from: triplemultiplex on November 09, 2022, 02:41:12 PM
Getting drivers in states with no tolls to start paying tolls is an uphill political battle.
For I-69, the only viable toll option is to toll the whole facility. There simply won't be the traffic for an "express lane" to be of any benefit.

Even on I-40 between Memphis and Nashville, there's not enough traffic for a toll lane to be worth it for anyone.  Which is why we only see those types of facilities on major commuter corridors in big cities.  And the thing is, the revenue they generate is usually only enough to pay for improvements/maintenance on the highway itself.  You're not looking at a huge new cash flow that can pay for roads elsewhere in the state.

Unless one tolls the whole thing. Then do what Oklahoma does: uses the revenue from I-44's toll routes (well, OKC to MO) to finance construction of other toll facilities. :P

I want to also note that in my experience, the HOV enforcement around Nashville is lacking to say the least. They'd probably make as much cash from HOV cheaters as actual legit tolls. :lol
then why not split the traffic and toll truck traffic or even thru traffic?
also I-44s tolls are not electronic, you have to drive up to a toll booth, which is not what i want for I-40, its too heavily trafficked.
you could do that for I-69 but it wouldn't bring much revenue.
personally any tolls in Tennessee needs to be electronic, unless you want 15 mile backups. and no TDOT isn't gonna pull a Oklahoma and start tolling ramps, rural counties won't have it, neither will places like Jackson where their ramps are already tightly packed together.
my points still stand, electronic tolled lanes separated by a concrete divider (similar to what Georgia did with their express lanes through Atlanta.) or electronic toll the entire roadway to at least past exit 126 (second to last exit before reaching the Tennessee River bridge) and use the tolls to help finance other construction projects like I-69.
my experience driving I-40, and actually sitting in a 10 mile backup caused by a single wreck a few times, is you might as well scrap having a toll booth on any stretch of I-40.

Avalanchez71

Toll roads in Tennessee will not pass political scrutiny in the current environment.  Tennessee is a pay-as-you-go state as mentioned.  The electorate will not tolerate talks of tolling roads here.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.