News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US 66 from Tulsa to St. Louis

Started by Alps, January 24, 2012, 10:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

I'll soon be traveling old 66, from where I left off in Tulsa (east of the city at the big ol' bridge) through Missouri. That'll bring me briefly into Kansas as well. Same question as in other threads:

~ Any truss bridges just off my route within a few miles?
~ Any ridiculously old and noteworthy signs just off my route, or even along it?
~ Any must-stops?
~ Any road closures I should know about?
~ Anything I'm not thinking of?

bugo

Quote from: Upside down frog in a triangle on January 24, 2012, 10:03:27 PM
I'll soon be traveling old 66, from where I left off in Tulsa (east of the city at the big ol' bridge) through Missouri. That'll bring me briefly into Kansas as well. Same question as in other threads:

~ Any truss bridges just off my route within a few miles?
~ Any ridiculously old and noteworthy signs just off my route, or even along it?
~ Any must-stops?
~ Any road closures I should know about?
~ Anything I'm not thinking of?

There is the truss over Bird Creek just north of Catoosa.  We crossed this bridge during the Tulsa meet.  There were 2 bridges, but one of them was replaced.  I read that a business near Bird Creek had adopted the old bridge and it is now on their property, but I'm not sure where this is exactly.

There's also a truss on an old alignment near Chelsea, but I don't remember exactly where it is. 

There's the infamous Devil's Elbow bridge in Missouri.  Also be sure to drive the 4 lane expressway of route Z in the same area.

Watch your speed through Waynesville.  Those illiterate fucks gave me a ticket a few years ago for going 55 in a rural area that is signed 35 for some stupid reason.  And don't spend a dime there.

US71

-Chelsea, OK has an old thru truss on original 66 (north end of town, IIRC)
-There's a Marsh Arch in Kansas
-Concrete bridge over the MKT RR east of Galena on original 66
-An old truss on original 66 near Spencer (off Hwy 96)
-pony truss just west of Halltown on original 66

if you like old gas stations:
-4 Women on the Route in Galena, KS (on original 66): an old Kan o Tex : Oh wait! they may be closed for the Winter. Still worth looking at, IMO
-Gay Parita Sinclair near Halltown MO
-there's an old Sinclair station in Carterville that being converted into a 66 info center
-A couple old stations in Commerce, OK
-Vintage DX Station and a Packard museum in Afton (say HI to Ms Laurel if she's working ;) )

There's a possible detour at Carthage (old bridge coming down at the railroad), but I'm trying to double check the timeline. UPDATE: construction probably will begin in May. MoDOT will have an official detour. Local businesses will have maps with an alternate detour.

-Miami, OK has a bunch of old 4-way signals
If you're hungry, stop at Waylan's Ku-Ku in Miami: a 66 original

I don't know of any old signs, off-hand.

But there's the "sidewalk highway" alignment of 66 north of Afton, OK

Original 66 follows Mo 100 from near Washington, MO to near St Louis

Missouri has 66 guides signs everywhere. Oklahoma is a mixed bag. I haven't checked Kansas lately.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Alps

Quote from: bugo on January 24, 2012, 11:50:39 PM
There's the infamous Devil's Elbow bridge in Missouri.  Also be sure to drive the 4 lane expressway of route Z in the same area.

I plan to try to do both the old and new alignments. Assuming these are the same location, right? (4-lane Hwy Z bypassed the old 2-lane - is Devil's Elbow the old 2-lane?)

Quote from: US71 on January 25, 2012, 11:14:19 AM

There's a possible detour at Carthage (old bridge coming down at the railroad), but I'm trying to double check the timeline. UPDATE: construction probably will begin in May. MoDOT will have an official detour. Local businesses will have maps with an alternate detour.

I should be through there just in time. Is this at the northeast side of town or somewhere to the west?

US71

Quote from: Upside down frog in a triangle on January 25, 2012, 06:48:09 PM
I plan to try to do both the old and new alignments. Assuming these are the same location, right? (4-lane Hwy Z bypassed the old 2-lane - is Devil's Elbow the old 2-lane?)

Technically they're both "Devils Elbow"
http://bridgehunter.com/mo/pulaski/piney-truss/  (original)
http://bridgehunter.com/mo/pulaski/piney-arch/ (1942)

Quote from: US71 on January 25, 2012, 11:14:19 AM

I should be through there just in time. Is this at the northeast side of town or somewhere to the west?

Northeast, over the RR yard.
"Local" detour in 571 north to 96, stay north on old 71 to Route V (old ALT 66), then east on V back to MO 96.

A mile north is on old 71 is where the 71 expressway comes through at Routes V D   :clap:

Rick1962

~ Any must-stops?

There's an original 1958 trailblazer for the Will Rogers Turnpike on eastbound Will Rogers Blvd. in Claremore a few blocks east of downtown.

Waylan's Ku-Ku (the last of an old hamburger chain) is on the route in Miami north of downtown.

US71

Quote from: Rick1962 on January 25, 2012, 11:26:52 PM
~ Any must-stops?

There's an original 1958 trailblazer for the Will Rogers Turnpike on eastbound Will Rogers Blvd. in Claremore a few blocks east of downtown.

Waylan's Ku-Ku (the last of an old hamburger chain) is on the route in Miami north of downtown.

There used to be a trailblazer for Will Rogers on K-26, about 1/2 a block south of K-66 in Galena, but it's been 3-4 years ago.

agentsteel53

can anyone get us a detailed photo of this sign? 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

okroads

Quote from: US71 on January 26, 2012, 08:42:35 AM
~ Any must-stops?

There used to be a trailblazer for Will Rogers on K-26, about 1/2 a block south of K-66 in Galena, but it's been 3-4 years ago.

I drove K-26 southbound in August and don't remember seeing the Will Rogers trailblazer.

US71

Quote from: okroads on January 26, 2012, 05:20:43 PM

I drove K-26 southbound in August and don't remember seeing the Will Rogers trailblazer.

DRAT! They must have taken it down

bugo

There is?  Do you have a picture?  That would be worth driving to Claremore to see.

Alps

Quote from: bugo on January 26, 2012, 10:04:12 PM

There is?  Do you have a picture?  That would be worth driving to Claremore to see.
Don'tt give it away or they'll take it down...

brianreynolds

Not directly on old US-66, but the Y-bridge in Galena is not far off your route.    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-Bridge_(Galena,_Missouri)
If you are doing the old road westbound, maybe catch this on your way back.  Or vice-versa.  Or not.

--
Brian Reynolds
Hastings Michigan

US71

Quote from: brianreynolds on January 26, 2012, 11:43:48 PM
Not directly on old US-66, but the Y-bridge in Galena is not far off your route.    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-Bridge_(Galena,_Missouri)
If you are doing the old road westbound, maybe catch this on your way back.  Or vice-versa.  Or not.

--
Brian Reynolds
Hastings Michigan

Roughly an hour south. There is also a remnant of an earlier bridge a couple blocks south.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Upside down frog in a triangle on January 26, 2012, 10:51:06 PM

Don'tt give it away or they'll take it down...

I'm hoping the sign thieves get to it before the DOT does.

sign thieves preserve history.  DOT melts it down to make guardrails. 

fuck the DOT.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brian556

QuoteI'm hoping the sign thieves get to it before the DOT does.

fuck the DOT.

Amen.
This is really an exellent point. In general, sign stolen by the public or taken home by DOT employees are the only ones that survive.

Grzrd

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 27, 2012, 11:45:31 AM
fuck the DOT.
Serious question: Does the Smithsonian attempt to collect historic signage?  If not, have there ever been any organized roadgeek efforts to persuade the Smithsonian as to the historic significance of the signage?

Alps

Quote from: US71 on January 27, 2012, 10:57:45 AM

--
Brian Reynolds
Hastings Michigan

Roughly an hour south. There is also a remnant of an earlier bridge a couple blocks south.

An hour ain't gonna cut it, unfortunately. If it were on another part of the route I would do it, but I have two days to get from Tulsa to Joliet for the meet and that includes romping around St. Louis. I wish it were on the north side of 64. ):

QuoteIf you like abandoned stuff theirs a old deck truss bridge in Shakopee that's now open as a pedestrian bridge, the Old Cedar Bridge is a through truss that's now closed and about ready to fall into the swamp. There's ongoing argument about whether to restore it or demolish it and build something fresh. Also there is the Hennepin Ave suspension bridge...
I have no idea where to look in Shakopee or where the Old Cedar Bridge would be. Is the Hennepin Ave. bridge the one in downtown just east of the end of 394, or elsewhere? I found all the others you had mentioned.

Scott5114

Quote from: Grzrd on January 27, 2012, 09:26:03 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 27, 2012, 11:45:31 AM
fuck the DOT.
Serious question: Does the Smithsonian attempt to collect historic signage?  If not, have there ever been any organized roadgeek efforts to persuade the Smithsonian as to the historic significance of the signage?

Why bother with the Smithsonian? If someone with a lot of signs really wanted to they could put together a museum of road signage. Might get some interest from the general public. Would be a roadgeek's dream, though, especially if you started at the entrance with a bunch of 1926 era signs, gradually progressing to the 1948 MUTCD, then the early Interstate era...if there was enough space you could even put up some old BGSes...

</never going to happen>
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 28, 2012, 07:00:19 PM

Why bother with the Smithsonian? If someone with a lot of signs really wanted to they could put together a museum of road signage. Might get some interest from the general public. Would be a roadgeek's dream, though, especially if you started at the entrance with a bunch of 1926 era signs, gradually progressing to the 1948 MUTCD, then the early Interstate era...if there was enough space you could even put up some old BGSes...

</never going to happen>

Never say never. It would be interesting to see if there is such a collection. I'm sure some state highway departments may have a private collection.

Someday, when I'm filthy rich, maybe I'll start a roadsign museum ;)

NE2

It might be worthwhile to partner with a railroad museum, such as these guys: https://www.aaroads.com/blog/2010/10/20/the-laws-railroad-museum/
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

rte66man

Sorry I missed the thread until today.  The US66 bridge at Hazlegreen over the Gasconade?? River is cool.  Take a few minutes to veer off near Chelsea, OK to see the Totem Pole park.

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: Steve on January 28, 2012, 12:07:18 AM
Quote from: US71 on January 27, 2012, 10:57:45 AM

--
Brian Reynolds
Hastings Michigan

An hour ain't gonna cut it, unfortunately. If it were on another part of the route I would do it, but I have two days to get from Tulsa to Joliet for the meet and that includes romping around St. Louis. I wish it were on the north side of 64. ):

QuoteIf you like abandoned stuff theirs a old deck truss bridge in Shakopee that's now open as a pedestrian bridge, the Old Cedar Bridge is a through truss that's now closed and about ready to fall into the swamp. There's ongoing argument about whether to restore it or demolish it and build something fresh. Also there is the Hennepin Ave suspension bridge...
I have no idea where to look in Shakopee or where the Old Cedar Bridge would be. Is the Hennepin Ave. bridge the one in downtown just east of the end of 394, or elsewhere? I found all the others you had mentioned.
Kinda OT for this thread, but the pedestrian bridge referenced in Shakopee is the old old U.S. 169 bridge over the south part of the Minnesota River. I say "old old" because MnDOT rebuilt the bridge to the east of the original 1920s crossing in conjunction with a project that moved U.S. 169 and MN-101 to the north of downtown, in the 1980s, just before those roads were all turned over to Scott County. U.S. 169 now bypasses Shakopee to the south and crosses at the location of the historic Bloomington Ferry Bridge, which I think is also still there as a bike and pedestrian crossing.

The Old Cedar Avenue Bridge is west of the current MN-77 Minnesota River crossing. It was an 1890s wooden deck swing bridge that was bypassed in the 1980s - I drove over it a few times. For a long time, the northern approach was maintained as a bike and pedestrian access by (might be wrong here) city of Bloomington, providing access to the wetlands on the north side of the river.

Hennepin Avenue bridge in downtown Minneapolis is the modern (1980s-90s) re-creation of the 19th century suspension bridge originally built here, that was replaced by a concrete span in the 20th century. It is notable for being the 2nd-shortest suspension bridge in the U.S. Marching bands have to break step going across it. It's very pretty at night but not the design you'd pick for this length of crossing.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

codyg1985

Watching this thread with interest since I would like to do something like this as well in the near future.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

texaskdog

I believe the Bloomington Ferry Bridge went away and was replaced by a new bike/hike bridge in the same location.  Seem to remember driving down to it years ago before I moved away.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.