News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

TRIVIA NIGHT results and host registration

Started by Alps, December 07, 2012, 09:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cu2010

...dammit...I keep forgetting about this!
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

oscar

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 18, 2013, 09:33:22 AM
My answer would be Denali Nat'l Park

Indeed, unsigned Interstate A-4 (signed Alaska state route 3) includes several miles within park boundaries just south of the main park entrance (no entry stations or fees until you leave the highway for the main entrance), plus additional mileage right on the other side of the Nenana River from the park.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Billy F 1988

Anyone up for June 5? I can host June 5, but I need to know who will be available that night so that it will give me time to prepare some questions.

As for the questions, do they need to be road related or not?
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Alps

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on April 19, 2013, 06:54:20 PM
Anyone up for June 5? I can host June 5, but I need to know who will be available that night so that it will give me time to prepare some questions.

As for the questions, do they need to be road related or not?
Yeah, this is highway trivia. You should come to the next one before committing to anything and see what it's like.

Billy F 1988

Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

NE2

Here are the questions from when I hosted. Note that these are somewhat harder than the norm.

1. ODDITIES.
This state has more than 15 separate splits of U.S. Highways into business and bypass routes with no mainline.

2. SOUTH CAROLINA.
Before the construction of I-95, this alternate route was part of the shortest chain of U.S. Highways from Savannah to Florence.

3. OHIO.
Although the Pikes Peak Ocean to Ocean Highway originally followed the National Road through Columbus, it was moved north in the early 1920s to bypass the city. The new route is now mostly this U.S. Highway.

4. MICHIGAN.
US 223 was originally part of this longer route.

5. KANSAS-MISSOURI.
Trfwy stands for this.

6. VIRGINIA.
In December 2010, the Commonwealth Railway began operating a new 5-mile mainline, including 3 miles in the median of this highway.

7. DAKOTAS.
These three highway numbers exist in or near the capitals of both Dakotas. (not a multi-part question)

8. DUMB QUESTIONS: RHODE ISLAND.
The US 6 freeway that bypasses Hartford Avenue in Providence, RI was once signed as this, in addition to RI 195.

9. CANADA.
Name the three provinces that copied the U.S. Highway shield shape. (not a multi-part question)

10. YELLOWSTONE FREEWAYS.
As the crow flies, this is the nearest freeway to Yellowstone.

11. CALIFORNIA.
List the two state routes that replaced about 85% of US 40 Alternate.

12. LOUISIANA.
This state highway parallels I-49 north of Alexandria.

13. MISSISSIPPI.
The northeasternmost point on the Appalachian Development Highway System is at NY 17 and I-81 in Binghamton, NY; the southwesternmost is where this U.S. Highway meets I-55 in northern Mississippi.

14. TOLL ROADS: ILLINOIS.
This is the only state route in Illinois to follow the entire length of a tollway.

15. TOLL ROADS.
This was the world's first fully automated toll road, opened in 1995.

16. SOUTHWEST.
The majority of former US 666 is now this route.

17. ODDITIES.
Southbound drivers on one block of Huntington Avenue in Newport News, VA are simultaneously following both directions of this route.

18. UNITED STATES.
Three-digit Interstate A is cosigned with two-digit U.S. Route B. U.S. Route A ends at a former alignment of Interstate B. What are A and B?

19. TOLL ROADS.
Not counting tolled express lanes, these are the only two tolled freeways in the U.S. that cross without any sort of interchange (though two ramps are scheduled to open by 2015).

20. ALABAMA.
This state highway connects I-65 to US 29 en route to Pensacola.

21. KENTUCKY.
The US 62-68 bypass northwest of Maysville originally had this state highway number.

22. CONNECTICUT-MASSACHUSETTS.
I-395 replaced Route 52, but mostly parallels this surface route.

23. VIRGINIA.
In 1923, Virginia added this number to its single-digit state routes; only the pre-1923 SR 5 continues to have its post-1923 designation.

24. MISSOURI.
If US 66 had remained 60, 60 would have been this.

25. UNITED STATES.
4 is the lowest number carried by both a current Interstate and a current U.S. Route. What is the highest?

26. TOLL ROADS.
In 1795, these two cities were connected by one of America's first turnpikes, which charged tolls until 1917.

27. WASHINGTON, D.C.
This unnumbered freeway could be I-366, but the speed limit is only 30 mph.

28. DUMB QUESTIONS.
The Ak-Sar-Ben Bridge carried US 6 between Iowa and this state.

29. WISCONSIN.
US 110 was replaced by a state route of the same number in the 1930s. Since then, the construction of this parallel freeway has resulted in the state giving most of former US 110 to Winnebago County.

30. UTAH-NEVADA.
These two routes connect at the state line next to the First Transcontinental Railroad.

31. TOLL ROADS.
Part of the grading for the Chicago-New York Electric Air Line Railroad was destroyed by the construction of this toll road.

32. FLORIDA.
The county containing this city was the only one to gain state highway mileage in the decade following 1977.

33. MARYLAND.
This is the only route number less than 37 that is not used on any class of highway in Maryland.

34. PENNSYLVANIA.
This northbound-only freeway was consturcted to elimitante the truck trarffic downhill into Ridgway.

35. TOLL ROADS.
When the JFK Highway opened in 1963, one could drive from US 1 south of Baltimore to the Manhattan end of this Hudson River crossing without leaving a toll-supported freeway.

36. GEORGIA.
Atlanta's Northern Arc is part of this Appalachian Development Highway System corridor.

37. TOLL ROADS.
This road switched to one-way tolling at most of its 11 barrier tolls in about 2005.

38. TEXAS.
State Highway 9 was eliminated once this parallel Interstate was constructed.

39. ARKANSAS.
Two short freeways meet at a diamond interchange in this city.

40. DUMB QUESTIONS: NEW YORK.
This New York state bike route parallels I-86.

41. ARIZONA.
When US 89 south of Flagstaff became State Route 89 in the early 1990s, this route was extended slightly.

42. NUNAVUT. CLOSEST GUESS.
How many kilometers of numbered highway currently exist in Nunavut?

43. ODDITIES.
A two-lane Interstate runs north-south along the eastern edge of this national park.

44. ODDITIES.
This is the only even-numbered U.S. Route that ends within several blocks of both international borders.

45. ASS HARD QUESTIONS: PENNSYLVANIA. FREE-FOR-ALL.
Garrett Shortcut Road has this route number.

46. ASS HARD QUESTIONS: NEBRASKA. FREE-FOR-ALL.
This route is also known as the Naper Spur.

47. UNITED STATES. MULTI-PART.
These two-digit numbers have never been used on a signed U.S. Highway.

48. UNITED STATES. MULTI-PART.
These states have four-digit state highways that are signed in the same manner as one- to three-digit routes.

1. ODDITIES. North Carolina

2. SOUTH CAROLINA. US 17 Alternate

3. OHIO. US 36

4. MICHIGAN. US 127

5. KANSAS-MISSOURI. Trafficway

6. VIRGINIA. State Route 164

7. DAKOTAS. 83 1804 1806

8. DUMB QUESTIONS: RHODE ISLAND. US 6 Bypass

9. CANADA. New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island

10. YELLOWSTONE FREEWAYS. US 20

11. CALIFORNIA. 70 113

12. LOUISIANA. LA 1

13. MISSISSIPPI. US 278

14. TOLL ROADS: ILLINOIS. 110

15. TOLL ROADS. 91 Express Lanes

16. SOUTHWEST. US 191

17. ODDITIES. US 60

18. UNITED STATES. 129 and 75

19. TOLL ROADS. Florida's Turnpike and SR 417

20. ALABAMA. SR 113

21. KENTUCKY. KY 3071

22. CONNECTICUT-MASSACHUSETTS. Route 12

23. VIRGINIA. 30

24. MISSOURI. 62

25. UNITED STATES. 395

26. TOLL ROADS. Philadelphia Lancaster

27. WASHINGTON, D.C. E Street Expressway

28. DUMB QUESTIONS. Nebraska

29. WISCONSIN. US 45

30. UTAH-NEVADA. UT 30/NV 233

31. TOLL ROADS. Indiana Toll Road

32. FLORIDA. Miami

33. MARYLAND. 9

34. PENNSYLVANIA. US 219 Truck

35. TOLL ROADS. Lincoln Tunnel

36. GEORGIA. A

37. TOLL ROADS. Garden State Parkway

38. TEXAS. I-37

39. ARKANSAS. El Dorado

40. DUMB QUESTIONS: NEW YORK. 17

41. ARIZONA. US 93

42. NUNAVUT. CLOSEST GUESS. 0

43. ODDITIES. Denali

44. ODDITIES. US 62

45. ASS HARD QUESTIONS: PENNSYLVANIA. FREE-FOR-ALL. SR 2031

46. ASS HARD QUESTIONS: NEBRASKA. FREE-FOR-ALL. S-8A

47. UNITED STATES. MULTI-PART. 37 39 47 86 88

48. UNITED STATES. MULTI-PART. Florida Hawaii Kentucky Louisiana New Mexico North Dakota South Dakota Texas Virginia
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

djsinco

Those are some awesome questions, NE2.

Unfortunately, I am in some masters level online courses at least 6 days each week. I get enough mental stimulation as it is, but hopefully after I am done with the few more credits I need I can join the fun!
3 million miles and counting

corco

REMINDER, HOMIES:

NEXT TRIVIA NIGHT IS THIS WEDNESDAY, MAY 15 2013 AT 7:00 PM MOUNTAIN DAYLIGHT TIME (THAT'S 8:00 CENTRAL, 9:00 EASTERN, 6:00 PACIFIC)

BE THERE OR DIE

*hugs*

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

corco

So, t-38 minutes to trivia time. Be square or be there.

Molandfreak

We need five more people or Corco is going to postpone until next week!
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

NE2

Alps

This is worse than Godwin's Law. Come on!!

corco

corco

FINAL STANDINGS:

AlpsRoads   27
NE2   19
Roadgeek_Adam   19
Molandfreak   2
Big John   2
Mike D Boy   -5

Alps is hosting next. Time, date, and probably not place TBA

Alps

Quote from: corco on May 15, 2013, 11:17:09 PM
FINAL STANDINGS:

AlpsRoads   27
NE2   19
Roadgeek_Adam   19
Molandfreak   2
Big John   2
Mike D Boy   -5

Alps is hosting next. Time, date, and probably not place TBA
Time: 9 PM EDT, as is the norm.
Date: June 19, to give me some time to unwind after HOLY SHIT CANADA.
Place: Not TBA

Alps

TRIVIA THURSDAY AT 9

EDIT - I have another obligation that moved to Wednesday and my original Thursday obligation moved to Tuesday, so... Thursday.

NE2

Celebrate the end of slavery with trivia about the destroyer of inner-city neighborhoods: the highway!

Molandfreak

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Alps

Quote from: Molandfreak on June 18, 2013, 02:54:44 AM
I'm sorry, I can't make it this time. :-(
How about if I...

MOVED IT BACK TO WEDNESDAY at 9 PM.

*plots how to damage those in charge of his myriad schedule changes...*

Post Merge: June 20, 2013, 12:14:37 AM

Quote from: Steve on June 18, 2013, 08:27:42 PM
Quote from: Molandfreak on June 18, 2013, 02:54:44 AM
I'm sorry, I can't make it this time. :-(
How about if I...

MOVED IT BACK TO WEDNESDAY at 9 PM.

*plots how to damage those in charge of his myriad schedule changes...*
TRIVIA BEGINS IN 8 MINUTES

Alps

Okay, that took way too long, way too many controversies, way too difficult questions. I need some more hosts so I don't have to do this again anytime soon.

FINAL SCORE:
NE2 - 25
corco - 6
Ian - 6
deathtopumpkins - 4
Thing 342 - 1
JohnnyH - 1
yanksfan6129 - 0
route56 - 0
cu2010 - -2
Dr Frankenstein - Hey, thanks for playing!

NE2

how the fuck

Anyway, I can host again if nobody else wants to.

NE2

Looks like it may be me again. I'll make the questions a little easier than last time.
Preliminary date is July 17.

NE2

I've started writing questions, so unless someone else really wants to do it I'll be your host giving you new goats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.