Victoria's Secret to close 53 stores this year

Started by bing101, March 01, 2019, 06:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

formulanone

Quote from: bing101 on March 01, 2019, 06:08:15 PM
blaming Amazon is going to be at play.

Nobody said that, they can probably find a half-dozen online retailers with similar items, and any decline is probably due to decline of malls in general, which is where many were located.

...Or Netflix and chill.

sparker

Back when my GF and I were first going out, I can recall spending several hours on a bench in the Ontario Mills mall (in Ontario, CA, of course!) while she was bra shopping, mostly at VS!  Took her a long time; she's a "betweener" when it comes to size, so she had to try on a whole bunch of them.  So I sat there being the good patient BF.  Now, after 13 years, she knows not to ask me along on such a sojourn.  But I'll have to admit that their products are reasonably attractive!

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Brandon

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 02, 2019, 09:47:11 PM
Never been in one. Probably never will.

Wait till you have a g/f & Valentines Day is coming up.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

formulanone

Quote from: sparker on March 02, 2019, 04:07:59 PM
Now, after 13 years, she knows not to ask me along on such a sojourn.

While my wife and I do almost everything we can together, we've tacitly learned over the years to separately shop for our own clothing, and I think we're both happier for that.

One of us gets too self-conscious, and I usually feel like that lost five-year-old in a department store.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Brandon on March 03, 2019, 07:08:03 AM

That's the point.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SectorZ

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 03, 2019, 10:38:21 AM

That's the point.

RGT have more faith in yourself. Unless guys is your thing which is also OK.

Been with my wife since 1998 (married since 2005), never stepped into one myself.

Duke87

Quote from: SectorZ on March 03, 2019, 05:34:24 PM
Been with my wife since 1998 (married since 2005), never stepped into one myself.
Like you, I have never purchased anything from them in spite of being married.

However I have been to Victoria's Secret's corporate offices. Only place I've ever seen a bra hung over the side of a cubicle.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

abefroman329

Never been in one either, despite being married since 2014.

And we're fine to go shopping together for the most part, although it's better for both of us if we don't go to IKEA together.

sparker

From what I understand from my GF and other women is that VS has a much more comprehensive mix of sizes and styles in things such as bras than their department-store competition -- i.e., the customer will have a much greater chance of finding something that they like that'll actually fit than with the other vendors.  Apparently this is as much a factor in their historic success as their "exotic" factor.  But with the advent of on-line shopping, where such a greater selection is intrinsically part of the shopping process, I'm surmising that VS's in-store sales have suffered (I know they do have an online presence; but I haven't investigated any tangible differences, if any, between online and "brick & mortar" selection).  I suppose as long as they -- or their competition -- has a liberal return policy for online purchase, the convenience of such (rather than schlepping down to the mall) may make a substantial difference to a sizeable number of customers.

1995hoo

That's the point.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadgeekteen

That's the point.

I'm not gay. Maybe someday (not the gay part).

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ilpt4u

Quote from: kphoger on March 04, 2019, 04:33:23 PM
They have decent lotions, too.
In general, why would one not go to Corporate Cousin Bath & Body Works for lotions?

kphoger

Quote from: ilpt4u on March 04, 2019, 06:52:35 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 04, 2019, 04:33:23 PM
They have decent lotions, too.
In general, why would one not go to Corporate Cousin Bath & Body Works for lotions?

Sometimes the two stores are (were?) connected, so passing through VS en-route is normal.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

noelbotevera

I've always been wondering this...what is Victoria's secret? This must be one of the most well kept secrets in the world if we don't know what it is.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: noelbotevera on March 04, 2019, 07:28:22 PM
I've always been wondering this...what is Victoria's secret? This must be one of the most well kept secrets in the world if we don't know what it is.
Sells bras and stuff like that.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 04, 2019, 07:36:19 PM
Sells bras and stuff like that.

Whooooosh.

kphoger

I've always been wondering this...what is Victoria's secret?

That she's really a man.
Male pronouns, please.

sparker

There's an old joke that was circulating about 30-some years ago that went sort of like this:

Q: What is Victoria's Secret?   A: She enjoys dressing like a slut!

Lately -- courtesy of my GF poring through online vendors, resulting in their ads showing up on my email site (hey, it could be worse), there's a shitload of clothing companies whose offerings make VS seem tame in comparison.  Now -- if both of us were 25-30 years younger.................

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

steviep24

Kind of surprising considering the amount of Pink they sell. I see girls/young women wearing that stuff everywhere.

kphoger

FYI, this represents roughly one store in twenty.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.