News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Maine

Started by mightyace, March 04, 2009, 12:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougtone

Thanks to some good old ingenuity, the Bailey Island Bridge connecting Bailey Island with Orr's Island along ME 24 in Harpswell, Maine is one of a kind. It is said to be the only bridge in the world built using granite slabs and constructed in a cribstone pattern, allowing for the free movement of tides.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2023/10/bailey-island-bridge-cribstone-bridge.html

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

froggie

pderocco

Maybe a good spot for a diverging diamond.

The Ghostbuster

Will this connector be an extension of ME 112 or an extension of ME 703? If it is the former, maybe 703 could be renumbered as a further extension of ME 112.

vdeane

From the I-11 thread:
Quote from: pderocco on February 07, 2024, 10:57:59 PM
I those days, when you didn't need a passport, I suppose there was little need for I-95 to go from Houlton to Fort Kent, since you could always take route 2 in Canada.
Given how sparse it is, is there really a need for it to go there anyway?  I could see maybe Van Buren if you want to serve Presque Isle and Caribou, given that Van Buren is where US 1 turns off itself (the road goes straight into Canada and turns into NB 17).  I'm not really sure why US 1 went to Fort Kent to begin with, unless someone said "I want it to go to the top of Maine", realized that most of the roadway between Fort Kent and Estcourt is private logging roads, and then ended it at the bridge to the connecting roads to Estcourt through New Brunswick and Québec.

From this thread:
Quote from: froggie on February 07, 2024, 09:42:29 PM
Quote from: vdeane on February 07, 2024, 08:39:26 PM
Quote from: yakra on February 07, 2024, 07:39:28 PM
https://wgme.com/news/local/i-95-connector-from-south-portland-to-gorham-taking-the-next-step
West of the Turnpike: freetollway

FTFY.  And given the expected traffic volumes, I don't really see a diamond at 95 being a major issue.
"Freeway" as in the term for limited access highways where access is provided at interchanges instead of at-grades (the FHWA version of the term).  Not "free" as in "free beer".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SectorZ

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 08, 2024, 11:06:34 AM
Will this connector be an extension of ME 112 or an extension of ME 703? If it is the former, maybe 703 could be renumbered as a further extension of ME 112.

I hope it's not a 112 extension because the directionality is already wrecked. You'd be going "south" on 112 from I-95 while going northwest to Gorham. Maybe they can give the new road a new number, re-number the Gorham bypass part of 112 with that number and end ME 112 at ME 25. Maybe call it 114 and give renumber the existing parallel 114 stretch to 114A, but then you would need a small non-freeway/expressway stretch of 114 to go back to Gorham center, so perhaps a unique and new number would be best.

froggie

Quote from: vdeane on February 08, 2024, 12:47:45 PM
Quote from: froggie on February 07, 2024, 09:42:29 PM
Quote from: vdeane on February 07, 2024, 08:39:26 PM
Quote from: yakra on February 07, 2024, 07:39:28 PM
https://wgme.com/news/local/i-95-connector-from-south-portland-to-gorham-taking-the-next-step
West of the Turnpike: freetollway

FTFY.  And given the expected traffic volumes, I don't really see a diamond at 95 being a major issue.
"Freeway" as in the term for limited access highways where access is provided at interchanges instead of at-grades (the FHWA version of the term).  Not "free" as in "free beer".

You missed the point.

Quote from: SectorZ on February 08, 2024, 01:02:49 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 08, 2024, 11:06:34 AM

I hope it's not a 112 extension because the directionality is already wrecked. You'd be going "south" on 112 from I-95 while going northwest to Gorham. Maybe they can give the new road a new number, re-number the Gorham bypass part of 112 with that number and end ME 112 at ME 25. Maybe call it 114 and give renumber the existing parallel 114 stretch to 114A, but then you would need a small non-freeway/expressway stretch of 114 to go back to Gorham center, so perhaps a unique and new number would be best.

Or, alternatively, give it its own route number...there are numerous ones to choose from.  When I conceptualized the connector a decade ago (based on proposals/ studies at the time), I borrowed from yakra and gave the whole corridor (Gorham Bypass-connector-Scarborough) the ME 20 moniker.

kramie13

Today I learned that there is a hotel in Saco called the "Exit 5 Motel & Cottages".  But to get there, you are taking Exit 2A off of I-195.

I do remember the first time I visited Maine, back in 1995, the exit for I-195 from I-95 was Exit 5.  Is the hotel's name a remnant of sequential exit numbering in Maine?  I'm surprised they haven't renamed themselves since the mileage-based renumbering occurred twenty years ago!

shadyjay

I hope it's not a 112 extension because the directionality is already wrecked. You'd be going "south" on 112 from I-95 while going northwest to Gorham.

There are A LOT of places in Maine where the directionality is whacked.  I can't tell you how many roads I've been on in southern Maine where I'm going NORTH and SOUTH at the same time!  I've been turned-around more times in Maine than any other state.  And sometimes, you get turned around so much, you don't have any directionality whatsover... just a ROUTE.
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.3633594,-68.3070925,3a,15y,172.72h,89.31t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJNYo_ValHRUWL4QOmdjQeg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Rothman

Quote from: shadyjay on February 26, 2024, 08:19:47 PM
I hope it's not a 112 extension because the directionality is already wrecked. You'd be going "south" on 112 from I-95 while going northwest to Gorham.

There are A LOT of places in Maine where the directionality is whacked.  I can't tell you how many roads I've been on in southern Maine where I'm going NORTH and SOUTH at the same time!  I've been turned-around more times in Maine than any other state.  And sometimes, you get turned around so much, you don't have any directionality whatsover... just a ROUTE.
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.3633594,-68.3070925,3a,15y,172.72h,89.31t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJNYo_ValHRUWL4QOmdjQeg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu
When you're on an island and there's only one way off, directions become simpler.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bmitchelf

Quote from: kramie13 on February 26, 2024, 03:29:32 PM
Today I learned that there is a hotel in Saco called the "Exit 5 Motel & Cottages".  But to get there, you are taking Exit 2A off of I-195.

I do remember the first time I visited Maine, back in 1995, the exit for I-195 from I-95 was Exit 5.  Is the hotel's name a remnant of sequential exit numbering in Maine?  I'm surprised they haven't renamed themselves since the mileage-based renumbering occurred twenty years ago!

Looks like they've only been in business for 20 years. I think it's just that they're located on route 5 just off the exit, even though the signs on the highway going east say go straight for route 5.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.