News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Winter weather thread

Started by TravelingBethelite, January 20, 2016, 11:26:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

Just in: NYCDOT issued a travel ban
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

noelbotevera

NJRoadfan

Looks like the local plow trucks gave up for the afternoon. I'm barely keeping up with the shoveling, but I can at least get out of the house via one exit.

Zeffy

A large part of Somerset County is currently at 30 inches. That includes Hillsborough, because there is a LOT of snow.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Pete from Boston

I'm happy for you guys.  Scant 2" so far here, but it's nice to see real snow again.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

davewiecking

slorydn1

Quote from: roadman65 on January 23, 2016, 08:39:38 PM
http://newjersey.news12.com/news/roof-collapse-reported-at-westfield-trader-joe-s-building-badly-damaged-1.11369908

Roof collapses at a Westfield, NJ Trader Joes Store due to this nasty storm.

Wow, first time I have ever encountered a TV news website that is pay walled. Oh well.....
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

N.Y. Times: Stranded in the Snow, Travelers Camp in Cars and Make Do

QuoteSabrina Swidergal was among hundreds of Catholic high school and college students returning from an anti-abortion rally in Washington who started their weekend stranded on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

QuoteHundreds of miles away in Kentucky, Jeff Greenberg and two others in an all-wheel-drive Acura found themselves in a similar circumstance, stuck overnight in a snowstorm with a 20-ounce bottle of Coca-Cola as their sole source of sustenance. Elsewhere in Kentucky, April Montesinos and her family saw their food supplies dwindle while their car sat "in the exact same spot"  for more than 18 hours.

QuoteThe travelers were among the thousands trapped on roadways by the weekend snowstorm that stretched across much of the eastern United States.

Quote"We ran out of food and water,"  said Ms. Montesinos, 33, who was trying to return to Ohio from a funeral when she and family members got stuck on Interstate 75. "We had been calling the Kentucky state patrol, and they were we telling us, "˜We are going to get you guys out of there very quick.' And hours and hours and hours went by, and nothing."
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Wall Street Journal: Winter Storm Snarls Transportation Networks Across Region - Big-city airports close, train service is canceled and a transportation ban is enacted in New York

QuoteThe biggest winter storm of the season brought heavy snowfalls across the mid-Atlantic, snarling transportation networks and paralyzing regional travel.

QuoteAt least 18 deaths in the region, mostly in traffic accidents, were blamed on the storm, according to the Associated Press.

QuoteAs the storm bore down on the East Coast's biggest hubs, more than 10,200 flights were canceled throughout the weekend–including more than 4,400 on Saturday and nearly 2,400 on Sunday–according to flight-tracking website FlightAware.

QuoteAirports in Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington shut operations Saturday. The three major New York-area airports remained open but were seeing heavy cancellations.

QuoteIn Pennsylvania, more than 500 cars and trucks were stranded on the Pennsylvania Turnpike on Saturday afternoon, authorities said.

ghYHZ

Usually what you get in the Northeast.......we'll get six hours later in the Maritimes. Well this time something happened and the storm headed out into the Atlantic just glancing the very southern tip of Nova Scotia and along the coast with about 4cm (1 ½" ).

This would have been our third storm in less than two weeks so a bit of a break..... but I'm sure you'll send something our way the next time.

1995hoo

Best sign it was a big snowstorm: The bishop urged everyone to watch Mass on TV instead of trying to attend in person.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

1995hoo

From another forum I visit:

Quote from: caps21-74I went out to clear snow from the gas meter and heard my neighbors having sex in their outdoor hot tub...I still think indoors is a better option...

She's a screamer....
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 24, 2016, 01:55:31 AM
Wall Street Journal:
QuoteAs the storm bore down on the East Coast's biggest hubs, more than 10,200 flights were canceled throughout the weekend–including more than 4,400 on Saturday and nearly 2,400 on Sunday–according to flight-tracking website FlightAware.

Um???

noelbotevera

Snow has stopped here, and now everyone is out shoveling. End the blizzard.

kj3400

The blizzard might be over, but the aftermath is going to last at least a week.
2 and a half feet, and the snow plows haven't made it to our street just yet, though a couple of people have made their way out of our neighborhood onto the main roads.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

cl94

Quote from: kj3400 on January 24, 2016, 01:03:56 PM
The blizzard might be over, but the aftermath is going to last at least a week.
2 and a half feet, and the snow plows haven't made it to our street just yet, though a couple of people have made their way out of our neighborhood onto the main roads.

All depends on where. NYC got a similar amount and a lot of stuff there is back up and running. Traffic cams show that majors are down to pavement, Subway service has been restored on the els, and Metro-North is running. They'll have almost everything running close to normal tomorrow morning.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

empirestate

It surprises me that this clocked in at NYC second-biggest snowfall (and that by only a tenth of an inch). The streets in town look to me pretty much as they have for much of several prior winters. I ascribe this to several healthy-sized snowfalls coming in succession in those prior years, resulting in heaping mounds of snow all over town.

Still, as a lifelong Upstater, I'm still not used to the idea that two feet of snow counts as record material in some other part of the state!

ET21

This was such an eye-candy storm to look at and observe on weather models and analysis. The last big snow I got blizzard wise is approaching its one year mark, when we got 20 inches during Super Bowl 49
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

dcbjms

Quote from: ghYHZ on January 24, 2016, 06:09:24 AM
Usually what you get in the Northeast.......we'll get six hours later in the Maritimes. Well this time something happened and the storm headed out into the Atlantic just glancing the very southern tip of Nova Scotia and along the coast with about 4cm (1 ½" ).

This would have been our third storm in less than two weeks so a bit of a break..... but I'm sure you'll send something our way the next time.

That's definitely good news.  That also sounds like what we actually got 'round here, which was about 1½" to 3".  Of course, the way my house is facing the sun means that we're getting a lot faster melting this time around than usual, which is good.

Thing 342

We got just over a foot (13.5" was the official measurement IIRC) here in Blacksburg, leading VT to actually cancel classes on Friday, which I am told is rare. You should have seen the number of makeshift sleds people here were using this weekend. I saw everything from laundry baskets to Rubbermaid container lids to old unfolded boxes wrapped in trash bags.

Brandon

Quote from: Thing 342 on January 26, 2016, 03:35:34 PM
We got just over a foot (13.5" was the official measurement IIRC) here in Blacksburg, leading VT to actually cancel classes on Friday, which I am told is rare. You should have seen the number of makeshift sleds people here were using this weekend. I saw everything from laundry baskets to Rubbermaid container lids to old unfolded boxes wrapped in trash bags.

Shoot, up at Michigan Tech (which gets about 220 inches of the white stuff per year), they take cafeteria trays out as makeshift sleds.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

74/171FAN

Quote from: Thing 342 on January 26, 2016, 03:35:34 PM

In my senior year, around Valentine's Day VT cancelled two days of classes due to Blacksburg getting about 20 inches. 

It is seldom that classes are cancelled though, they even faked us out when Sandy came by originally saying that classes were cancelled and then backing off that (apparently the state of emergency from Bob McDonnell did not apply to colleges I think).  I will say that classes did not need to be cancelled then in hindsight due to only getting high winds and some snow.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

roadman

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 24, 2016, 08:39:23 AM
Best sign it was a big snowstorm: The bishop urged everyone to watch Mass on TV instead of trying to attend in person.
Technically, the bishop gave a special dispensation relieving the faithful of their obligation to attend Sunday Mass.  Watching Mass on TV was only a suggestion, not a requirement.

And this practice is very unusual.  Last time I heard of a special dispensation being granted by any Archdiocese was several years ago when St. Patrick's Day fell on a Friday in Lent.  The faithful were relieved of their obligation to not eat meat that day, so they could partake in the traditional St. Patrick's Day meal of corned beef and cabbage.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.