News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

ARRRRGGGGHHHH! Why NOW?????

Started by jeffandnicole, August 09, 2018, 01:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

So, have you ever driven out to a place, let's say to get a road picture.  You've been on the road for a while, or you have limited time to get that picture.  You are just about there.  The phone is out, ready to take the pic.  And just as you are ready...a phone call comes in.  Or a text message arrives.  It overrides your camera.  And you miss the picture.

All too often it seems like that happens to me. I just went out at lunch to grab something from a store. I looked it up and realized I would have enough time to jump on 295 in PA (former 95), see the PA Turnpike Interchange Construction, loop around and see the Scudder Falls Bridge work before getting back to the office.  Everything was going great until I get to the PA Turnpike construction, and a text comes in.  Ugh.  But it was early enough I got my camera prepared and took a few pics.  I exit and come back, ready to take more pics, and sure enough 2 more texts come in right at the point of me trying to get the pics.  Completely missed the opportunity.  I hadn't gotten a text or phone call on my phone call day, and in total 4 texts come in right at the point I'm trying to get my pictures!

I decided to say f-it, got to the next exit, made a U-turn, and went back around again.  It cost me all the time I would've had to get to Scudder Falls, and I got back to work 10 minutes late.  I didn't care.  I was pissed! LOL

roadman

The downside of the "everything in one place" devices society has become all too willing to accept.  This is one of the reasons I always carry a separate camera with me when I'm on the road.  And a simple $80 point and shoot will give you more flexibility in taking photos than a cell phone camera will.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Max Rockatansky

Yes, that's why I put my phone in airplane mode why I'm out taking road photos now.  I've had it happen way too many times when I've been trying to take pictures of Signs while moving. 

vdeane

Yeah, airplane mode seems like it would be a useful precaution, though I wouldn't use a phone camera for road pictures.  Much harder to use while driving than a point and shoot, and I've always had issues with motion since it's hard to hold the phone perfectly still and the camera takes longer to focus.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Simple solution.
USE A  :verymad: CAMERA!!!  :pan:
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

jeffandnicole

Well, to be honest, a camera isn't an option. As in the case today, it was an opportune moment to go out when I could.  I'm not leaving a camera in the car while at the office (or bringing it into the office) just in case there's a rare instance I can get out to get some pictures.  And it's just one more thing to buy and carry with me.

The airplane mode though is something I never thought of...I'll probably try that route next time.

Once I've figured out the nuances of my phone's camera when it comes to focusing and shutter delay, the pictures usually aren't too bad.  Usually it's moving at highway speeds and trying to get the pic at the right time that can be the issue, especially in this area where there's so many weeds, sign posts and other things that can get in the way.

And no matter what type of electronics I use, there's always going to be a truck or larger vehicle that I thought would be out of my way that suddenly speeds up or slows down and interferes with the view as well!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 09, 2018, 03:08:28 PM
Well, to be honest, a camera isn't an option. As in the case today, it was an opportune moment to go out when I could.  I'm not leaving a camera in the car while at the office (or bringing it into the office) just in case there's a rare instance I can get out to get some pictures.  And it's just one more thing to buy and carry with me.

The airplane mode though is something I never thought of...I'll probably try that route next time.

Once I've figured out the nuances of my phone's camera when it comes to focusing and shutter delay, the pictures usually aren't too bad.  Usually it's moving at highway speeds and trying to get the pic at the right time that can be the issue, especially in this area where there's so many weeds, sign posts and other things that can get in the way.

And no matter what type of electronics I use, there's always going to be a truck or larger vehicle that I thought would be out of my way that suddenly speeds up or slows down and interferes with the view as well!

For what it's worth I've always found my phone adequate to the task.  I used to have a dedicated camera but I found it to be way too difficult to adjust settings on the move.  With my iPhone SE I usually just take 2-3 photos in motion to make sure that I get the photo I want, I don't use a mount so holding a phone sideways is less cumbersome.  With the iPhone you can set the lock screen to open to photos which is extremely helpful for shots I'm not expecting. The main issue I have is early morning shots tend to create a lot of blur in motion.  For the most part I'll just crop any excess glare or vehicle fender as I'm uploading photos. 

Granted, if I wanted to do something high level like Asphalt Planet I would need a dedicated camera, a mount, and a some trail/error time to learn how to use it.  With my road photos I tend to stick to nearby shots and daylight hours. 

Airplane mode has another advantage in regards to battery preservation.  Out here losing cell coverage of jumping towers chews up battery life.  I'd rather avoid calls and unnecessary battery use until I'm parked somewhere. 

jakeroot

I've been screwed a few times by my flash being on, and there being a delay between pressing the shutter button, and when the photo is actually taken. My Galaxy S8 can take some pretty decent photos while in motion, even without having time to focus, but never with flash on. I've had to turn around and try again on more than one occasion because of this.

Never had issues with phone calls or notifications. Both come in on my phone as a panel on the top of the display, allowing me to dismiss whatever it is without leaving the application that I'm already in. So if I'm taking a photo, and a phone call comes in, I can decline the call or allow it to keep ringing, but I can keep taking photos.

hbelkins

I always keep my camera in the car with me, because I never know when I will need it for work. But besides that, I have a small point-and-shoot camera that stays in my iPad/accessory bag, and would be small enough to slip into my pocket if need be.

But yes, this is yet another example of why I use separate devices (phone, camera, iPod) for separate chores (communication, photography, music/podcast playback).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bandit957

We went storm-chasing a few years ago, and we were at the height of excitement of one of the tornadoes on our trip, which I was trying to film. Then my cellphone rang, and I was mad! It was a family member calling me about something ridiculous, like how they wanted me to tape a John Denver biopic off TV (since they were using their own VCR to tape something else), or to tell me I accidentally left my refrigerator on (even though I did it on purpose).

At least this is better than the days before digital cameras, when you had to take the photos in to Kmart to be developed, and Kmart would always lose or ruin the photos.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

adventurernumber1

Thankfully this hasn't happened too often to me, but the most notable experience that sticks out in my mind is this: back in Summer 2016 (a couple of years ago), I was filming a road video on my brother's iPhone. That was definitely a mistake, but at that moment I had no other device to choose from. I was filming US 41/US 76 Eastbound in East Ridge, Tennessee, from the tunnel to the exit at Interstate 75. Unfortunately, during this exact time, one of our neighbors (a younger child) who is friends with my brother kept trying to Face-Time him and would not stop calling even when I constantly declined the call. I should have been more communicative, actually answered, and said that he couldn't talk at the moment, but since I was in panic mode and was trying to get back to filming as quickly as possible, it ended up just being a bunch of declines to all those calls. This caused what was supposed to be a long, singular (one) road video to end up being 15 or so different segments, and because of the interruptions, there were very small, brief parts of the stretch of road that were not even covered in the footage at all. This was all compiled into a very crappy road video on my YouTube channel that had constant interruptions, skips, and discomfort to the eyes as a result. This was never fixed until at least a year later (I think, it may have not been that long, but I can't remember), when I refilmed the entire stretch of road and uploaded a new video, which still stands today as its better replacement, and deleted the old piece of crap. There are other times similar situations have happened, but none were even remotely close to significant as this one.

An even more common occurrence for me that is even more annoying is when I am attempting to take a road photo, and I have it on the camera for a good few seconds, but it would be taking way, way too long to focus in (get rid of the blur at the beginning that is usually brief), and then I miss my shot. That has happened hundreds of times I might say.

This is why it is definitely a very good idea to get a separate camera if you can, since phones can give you the interruption of calls and things. Unfortunately I haven't taken this advice myself and have had to take in all the problems that can arise with doing my road filmography and photography on my iPhone, but I highly encourage it, agreeing with the other people in this thread saying the same thing.

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

jakeroot

Quote from: bandit957 on August 09, 2018, 09:46:34 PM
It was a family member calling me about something ridiculous, like ... to tell me I accidentally left my refrigerator on (even though I did it on purpose).

On or open? Either way, I'm confused.

TheHighwayMan3561

I always say this when I haven't received any messages from anyone all day, then message a specific person and suddenly everybody BUT that person starts sending me messages.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

I find trying to take photos with the phone to be difficult when I'm driving, because the shutter button is on the touch screen where I can't feel if I'm actually on it or not, so I'm fumbling around with my thumb trying to find the button, and that's how I miss my shot. Or the gyro in my phone will go nuts and try to swap back and forth between horizontal and vertical and it's too busy animating the transition to register the shutter button press.

If I could configure the home or power buttons to function as a shutter button while in camera mode, I'd have a much easier time of it, since those have
I'm an idiot. I just went into the settings on my Android and of course this is an option (with the volume keys).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

Heh, I'll have this problem when trying to photograph some user's error message at a job site. Usually stating "Did you get the error message / Could you duplicate their concerns?"

Just about everything else outside of work goes through the lens of an actual camera...

inkyatari

I started carrying a seperate camera when I go out on my bicycle for this and other reasons.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

bandit957

Quote from: jakeroot on August 10, 2018, 12:15:18 AM
It was a family member calling me about something ridiculous, like ... to tell me I accidentally left my refrigerator on (even though I did it on purpose).

On. I wasn't going to unplug the refrigerator and let the food spoil.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

abefroman329

They were calling to tell him his refrigerator was running.

jakeroot

Quote from: bandit957 on August 10, 2018, 01:47:49 PM

Oh. So your point was that it was a ridiculous phone call. Gotcha. Obviously you would never unplug a refrigerator. 

Quote from: abefroman329 on August 10, 2018, 01:54:29 PM

I guess there was a joke I wasn't getting.

abefroman329

Quote from: jakeroot on August 10, 2018, 04:33:35 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on August 10, 2018, 01:47:49 PM

Oh. So your point was that it was a ridiculous phone call. Gotcha. Obviously you would never unplug a refrigerator. 

Quote from: abefroman329 on August 10, 2018, 01:54:29 PM

I guess there was a joke I wasn't getting.
Yes, it's the opening to the most famous prank phone call, with the opening to the second-most famous being "Do you have Prince Albert in a can?"

jakeroot

Quote from: abefroman329 on August 10, 2018, 04:43:52 PM
Yes, it's the opening to the most famous prank phone call, with the opening to the second-most famous being "Do you have Prince Albert in a can?"

They should probably let him out!

I don't hear too many prank calls these days. With caller ID and other bullshit, it's harder to get away with it.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jakeroot on August 10, 2018, 04:46:03 PM
I don't hear too many prank calls these days. With caller ID and other bullshit, it's harder to get away with it.

It's more that people just don't answer calls from numbers they don't recognize nowadays. All the nonsense from what are, essentially, telephone spammers who spoof caller IDs hasn't helped. Personally, unless it's from a number I know, or I'm expecting a phone call, I don't answer the phone anymore. If it was important, they'll leave a voicemail and I can call them back.

jakeroot

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on August 10, 2018, 07:51:17 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on August 10, 2018, 04:46:03 PM

It's more that people just don't answer calls from numbers they don't recognize nowadays. All the nonsense from what are, essentially, telephone spammers who spoof caller IDs hasn't helped. Personally, unless it's from a number I know, or I'm expecting a phone call, I don't answer the phone anymore. If it was important, they'll leave a voicemail and I can call them back.

Same for me. I have 700+ contacts, and caller ID through T-Mobile. If I don't know the number, it ain't getting answered. The "Scam Likely" ID (from T-Mo) usually saves me some time.

The best crank calls these days are to businesses, like takeaway restaurants or small sandwich or pizza shops. They'll obviously answer any call, and are more likely to be patient (unless you're in the northeast, where they don't put up with bullshit).

MNHighwayMan

The best part is having an out-of-state area code. Oh, someone's calling me from Minnesota (and it isn't in my contacts list)? Yeah, not answering that one.

Alex

I only use DSLR cameras for road photos, with the exception of ones I take to post on social media. I those cases, usually a sign shot while standing outside the car, I then jumble both the cell phone and DSLR, taking shots with both. Have had text messages pop up or a phone call occasionally while doing photos, but never to where they prevented me actually taking the pic. Getting annoyed with them on the other hand, absolutely.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.