News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Privitizing public roads

Started by DukeOfURL, March 25, 2009, 12:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DukeOfURL

I saw this today:
Hey, Private Sector, Wanna Buy a Bridge?
http://www.wired.com/cars/coolwheels/news/2009/03/infrastructure0323

It's an interesting thought.  Don't such things already exist as turnpikes on the east coast?  (I've never actually seen one)

un1

Highway 407 in Ontario is North America's longest private road, which is also a toll.
Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

ComputerGuy

Hmm...never seen it happen here in the Pacific Northwest.

mightyace

QuoteHmm...never seen it happen here in the Pacific Northwest.

Well, this has mainly happened for facilities that are already tolled.  IIRC There aren't many tolled bridges and no toll roads in Washington state.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

FLRoads

I know that not only is Alligator Alley on the verge of privatization, so are a few other Florida routes, including the Sunshine Skyway (Interstate 275/U.S. 19) over Tampa Bay and a portion of the Beachline (Toll Florida 528 - former Beeline) in the Orlando area. At least that was the case as of the end of 2007. Click here for more information on the Alligator Alley lease.

Indeed, it does seem that this privatization is an ever growing trend.  

corco

Isn't the Indiana Toll Road privatized? And isn't that longer than the 407 ETR?

Revive 755

Quote from: corco on March 25, 2009, 11:05:42 PM
Isn't the Indiana Toll Road privatized? And isn't that longer than the 407 ETR?

Yes, it was privatized, supposedly to get funds for other projects.  I think freeway upgrades for US 31 from South Bend to Indy and I-69 Indy to Evansville were the main candidates for those funds.  I'm waiting to see how long until the tolls skyrocket.

Someone correct me, but aren't the tolls on the Chicago Skyway up to $8 since it was privatized?

Alex

The Skyway tolls were $3 when I used it last May. According to the skyway website, they are still set at $3, with the next scheduled increase set for 01/01/11.

http://www.chicagoskyway.org/tolls/

akotchi

Interestingly, the reverse may be happening in one case.

IIRC, the State of New Jersey may be taking over the Beesley's Point Bridge, a privately-owned toll bridge that carries U.S. 9, because the private owner cannot afford (?) to make the needed repairs to the bridge to keep it open.

The bridge has been closed awhile, with traffic having to use the G.S. Parkway to get around.

Feel free to enlighten me differently if my account is not correct.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Revive 755

I think something similar has happened elsewhere, but usually with city-owned bridges.  The McKinley Bridge at St. Louis was taken over by the states since the city of Venice wasn't keeping it up, and has since been reopened as a free bridge - at one time I think the Illinois Terminal Railroad was the owner of that bridge.  I think something similar may be in the works between Illinois and Indiana for the IL 14 bridge over the Wabash - is that one city or private?

Other cases I know of are the effective replacement of the IA 394 toll bridge (I think that one was owned by the town of St. Francisville) with a free bridge for IA 27, and the city of St. Louis swapping the MacArthur Bridge for the toll Eads Bridge, which was owned by the Terminal Railroad.  Although the Eads-MacArthur deal was to get a better bridge for light rail, I think the public didn't get good results since there was no clause requiring the MacArthur to be repaired and reopened for traffic.

deathtopumpkins

I know there are plans to possibly privatize the HRBT to pay for a new bridge, and the new Jordan Bridge on VA-337 will be privately owned, as the old one had been I believe since the 1920s.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

SSOWorld

Indiana toll road is privatized

https://www.getizoom.com/tollRatesRedirect.do

Tolls at the barriers (IL to I-80 merge) are halved or more if you have an  IZoom (or EZPass or IPass) so a toll at the Westpoint barrier is 1.25 for cash, 1.00 for the ETCs.  The ticket area has discounts too. 
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Alex

QuoteInterestingly, the reverse may be happening in one case.

IIRC, the State of New Jersey may be taking over the Beesley's Point Bridge, a privately-owned toll bridge that carries U.S. 9, because the private owner cannot afford (?) to make the needed repairs to the bridge to keep it open.

The bridge has been closed awhile, with traffic having to use the G.S. Parkway to get around.

Feel free to enlighten me differently if my account is not correct.

Actually Cape May County took over the bridge recently.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.