News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Route from New England to Disneyland Ca

Started by A00234826, May 10, 2014, 11:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A00234826

In a few months I'm driving to Disneyland from Boston aria.

I thinking of the route Im taking and the time it takes.
I would like to drive nonstop (only stop for food, gas, restroom) the 1st half of the trip from Boston to Oklahoma welcome center then drive 10 hours a day.

I would like to drive through the Mountens of PA during the day, then towed the Midwest city's Indiapolis and St Louis during the night hours so I wont hit traffic there.

I have some questons
Im leaving at 4am

The plan route is I-93 south to Canton (hoplfully the traffic is the opposite direction on the Southeast expressway) then I-95 south through RI-CT-NY to the GW bridge then NJ turnpike south to Exit 6 (I plan to drive south on I-95 first then head west in NJ rather then getting on I-90 NY thuway west (northwest) to Buffluo, then dip south to Cleavland, or I-84 to Scranton then I-81 because of the hills in NY state and the NW turn after I-684 ) then PA turnpike west to Exit 75 then I-70 to St Louis then I-44 south to Olk city then I-40 west to I-15 south to I-10 west to I-5 south to Exit 112.

If I leave Boston at 4am and drive nonstop I think I will be in Indianapolis at around 9pm and in St Louis at 1am central time. and will be in Okahoma border on I-44 at around 6-7am the next day, Is that possible.

Are there any other detore routes to avoid any major traffic in NY City, St Louis, and LA.
I have an EZ pass I know it will work on the NJ and PA turnpikes but will that work on All tolls on my route

IN NY, is cutting on the Tappen Zee bridge then take the Garden State parkway south to ether I-80 or I-78 to I-81 to PA turnpike is a good idea then the GW bridge (I do not want to use I-84 in Western Ct, NY (because it heads northwest after I-684) and has only 2 lanes each after Waterbury CT ) (Im defentely wanted to avoid the Newburg Beacon Bridge on I-84).

Im planning to take the GW bridge but Im conserned about cross bronx traffic, is the RFK and Verrazano bridge I-278 a better choice then ether the GW or the Tappen Zee.

IN NJ if I take the GW bridge is staying on NJ turnpike to Exit 6 for direct accas to PA Turnpike a better route or should I get off ate Exit 14 for I-78 west to I-81 south to PA turnpike.

IN WV on I-70 is I-270 shorter because it said Columbus Oh on its control point

IN Olkahoma should I stay on I-44 or get on Creek turnpike bypass Tulas, then in Ok City should I get on I-35 south to I-40 west or stay on I-44 all the way to I-40.

Is cutting down to Pheionx on I-17 south to I-10 a better idea then staying on I-40 to I-15.

IN LA should I stay on I-10 all the way to I-5 south in Downtown Los Angelas, are there any detours around LA

thanks for your suggestions any alternate routes to get to Disnyland from New England.

US 41

If you go to Tulsa stay on I-44.

Personally I'd take I-90 to I-80. (I-90 and I-80 same route most of the way through OH and IN) Take I-80 all the way to I-76 in Nebraska. Go SW on 76 to 70. Take 70 west to 15. Take 15 south to LA. Hope this helps.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

hbelkins

Your E-ZPass will not work in Oklahoma.

I'd do the Mass Pike to I-84 to I-81 to I-80 to I-99 to US 220 to I-68 at Cumberland, MD. Then I would take I-68 to I-79 to I-64 to I-44 to I-40. If you leave at 4 a.m., you should be through Connecticut before morning rush. You will not hit another major metro area (not counting Scranton/Wilkes-Barre) until you get to Charleston, WV, then you will only have Louisville and St. Louis to deal with. There's no good bypass of Louisville, but you can bypass STL if you wish by taking I-255 and then I-270 around the city's southeastern side to I-44.

Be careful on I-44, as the exit configurations try to keep you on toll roads in Tulsa and OKC.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

oscar

Quote from: A00234826 on May 10, 2014, 11:30:04 PM
Is cutting down to Pheionx on I-17 south to I-10 a better idea then staying on I-40 to I-15.

IN LA should I stay on I-10 all the way to I-5 south in Downtown Los Angelas, are there any detours around LA

Where will you be staying in the Los Angeles area?  If your visit to the area will be Disneyland-focused, going downtown will take you well out of your way.  From I-10 in San Bernadino, CA 91 to CA 57 will take you most directly into the Anaheim/Disneyland area.  Due to the variability of area traffic, plan some alternate routes (like I-10 or CA 60 to CA 57) in case you need to work around congestion, and listen to traffic reports on KNX (AM 1070) once you're in the region to guide your way, or if you have satellite radio use that for traffic reports (but still listen to KNX as well).  Also familiarize yourself with freeway and interchange names, which you'll often hear on the traffic reports rather than route numbers.

As for choosing between I-17 and I-15 to get to I-10 from I-40, the former could expose you to Phoenix rush hour traffic, but the latter could snarl you in traffic coming back to the L.A. region from Las Vegas.  So that really depends on what day of the week and hour of the day you reach your decision point in Flagstaff AZ.  Staying on I-40 to I-15 would let you take detours on old US 66, and if you stay on the Interstates the distance will be about 50 miles shorter than going through Phoenix.  Otherwise, it's "six of one, half a dozen of the other" or "pick your poison" depending on your preferred cliche.  Satellite radio traffic reports (on separate channels for the Phoenix and L.A. metros) could help you decide. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

JMoses24

Quote from: oscar on May 11, 2014, 02:40:07 AM
Quote from: A00234826 on May 10, 2014, 11:30:04 PM

Where will you be staying in the Los Angeles area?  If your visit to the area will be Disneyland-focused, going downtown will take you well out of your way.  From I-10 in San Bernadino, CA 91 to CA 57 will take you most directly into the Anaheim/Disneyland area.  Due to the variability of area traffic, plan some alternate routes (like I-10 or CA 60 to CA 57) in case you need to work around congestion, and listen to traffic reports on KNX (AM 1070) once you're in the region to guide your way, or if you have satellite radio use that for traffic reports (but still listen to KNX as well).  Also familiarize yourself with freeway and interchange names, which you'll often hear on the traffic reports rather than route numbers.

As for choosing between I-17 and I-15 to get to I-10 from I-40, the former could expose you to Phoenix rush hour traffic, but the latter could snarl you in traffic coming back to the L.A. region from Las Vegas.  So that really depends on what day of the week and hour of the day you reach your decision point in Flagstaff AZ.  Staying on I-40 to I-15 would let you take detours on old US 66, and if you stay on the Interstates the distance will be about 50 miles shorter than going through Phoenix.  Otherwise, it's "six of one, half a dozen of the other" or "pick your poison" depending on your preferred cliche.  Satellite radio traffic reports (on separate channels for the Phoenix and L.A. metros) could help you decide. 

I'd advise 91 straight through and hit Harbor Boulevard south. Don't even go NEAR the 57/22/5 interchange. That's the Orange Crush interchange, and it got that name for a reason. It's 1) confusing as hell 2) not full movement (no connection 57 south to 5 north for just one example; also no connections 5 south to 57 north, except via city streets).

If, however, you're dead set on taking 57 and you're staying at the Disneyland resort itself, exit at Katella Avenue and go west. Then turn right on Disneyland Drive.

One option if, for whatever reason, 91 is snafu'ed west of, say, CA 55: 55 south to 22 west to I-5 north.

Finally, if you find you can't go south on CA 57 from I-10 or CA 60 but you've already passed 91: Continue west to I-605. 605 south to 5 south. That puts you north of CA 91, but if you want to hit 91, continue south on 605, you'll hit 91 in about 4 miles. Then 91 east 7 miles to 5 south.

Have a great trip!

rschen7754

California uses FasTrak. It seems that outside of the East Coast every state uses something different...

froggie

QuoteI would like to drive through the Mountens of PA during the day,

IMO, you catch more of the mountains along I-80 than you would along the PA Turnpike.

You also mentioned that you want to avoid I-84.  In my experience, I-84 tends to work better through CT than I-95 does.  Plus there's a fairly easy route to get from I-84 to the Tappan Zee:  using I-684 and the Saw Mill River Pkwy.  This route also shaves about 25 miles off vice taking I-95 the whole way.

The only true way for you to avoid NYC traffic is to take I-84 into Pennsylvania, as HB suggests.

A00234826

Quote from: froggie on May 11, 2014, 07:34:37 AM
QuoteI would like to drive through the Mountens of PA during the day,

IMO, you catch more of the mountains along I-80 than you would along the PA Turnpike.

You also mentioned that you want to avoid I-84.  In my experience, I-84 tends to work better through CT than I-95 does.  Plus there's a fairly easy route to get from I-84 to the Tappan Zee:  using I-684 and the Saw Mill River Pkwy.  This route also shaves about 25 miles off vice taking I-95 the whole way.

The only true way for you to avoid NYC traffic is to take I-84 into Pennsylvania, as HB suggests.
THanks but I would like to avoid I-84 west of I-91 at least, becasue I-84 has 3 lanes from I-90 to Waterbury then only 2 lanes afterwords (narrow) I-91 from I-84 has 3 lanes (execpt at exit 17) and I-95 has 3 lanes to NY)

In that case I would take I-90 to I-84 to I-91 south to I-95 south to NY border at least

If I take the Tappen Zee Bridge It would be better to take Garden State parkway south to I-80 or I-78 instead on staying on I-287
Do you think GSP is better then I-287 in NJ

froggie

QuoteTHanks but I would like to avoid I-84 west of I-91 at least, becasue I-84 has 3 lanes from I-90 to Waterbury then only 2 lanes afterwords (narrow) I-91 from I-84 has 3 lanes (execpt at exit 17) and I-95 has 3 lanes to NY)

I-84 may "only have 2 lanes" from Waterbury, but overall it is less prone to crashes and congestion than I-95 is.

Steve Alpert would have a better answer as to whether the GSP or I-287 is better for getting from the Thruway to I-80 or I-78.  Though in my experience, 287 is both slightly shorter and somewhat faster as it has longer sections of 65 MPH speed limit.

A00234826

Quote from: froggie on May 11, 2014, 10:26:03 AM
QuoteTHanks but I would like to avoid I-84 west of I-91 at least, becasue I-84 has 3 lanes from I-90 to Waterbury then only 2 lanes afterwords (narrow) I-91 from I-84 has 3 lanes (execpt at exit 17) and I-95 has 3 lanes to NY)

I-84 may "only have 2 lanes" from Waterbury, but overall it is less prone to crashes and congestion than I-95 is.

Steve Alpert would have a better answer as to whether the GSP or I-287 is better for getting from the Thruway to I-80 or I-78.  Though in my experience, 287 is both slightly shorter and somewhat faster as it has longer sections of 65 MPH speed limit.

The reason Im taking I-95 from at least New Haven is that there rest arias have food mcdonalds so I can stop at ether Milford or Farifield serves aria to stop to have breakfast there I-84 dosnt have serveus arias.

also Both NJ turnpike and Garden State parkway have sevuses arias and I not sure about I-287

hotdogPi

If you're on a toll-free route, you don't need service areas. You can get off at certain exits, and there will be restaurants at the exit.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

signalman

If you plan on leaving on a weekday, I'd recommend taking the GSP over I-287 in NJ.  I-287 is a busy commuter road and often backs up  heading south towards I-80.  South of I-80 it will be even thicker.  If it's a weekend, I'd use I-287.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: A00234826 on May 11, 2014, 10:47:31 AM

The reason Im taking I-95 from at least New Haven is that there rest arias have food mcdonalds so I can stop at ether Milford or Farifield serves aria to stop to have breakfast there I-84 dosnt have serveus arias.

also Both NJ turnpike and Garden State parkway have sevuses arias and I not sure about I-287

84 is littered with fast food at exits, and they're a lot cheaper than the ones on 95.

A00234826

Quote from: Pete from Boston on May 11, 2014, 01:08:43 PM

Quote from: A00234826 on May 11, 2014, 10:47:31 AM

84 is littered with fast food at exits, and they're a lot cheaper than the ones on 95.
thank you Im planning to stop in western, southern Conneticut for breakfast can you tell me which Exit in Ct is best (wide selection of food gas)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.