News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Retro Stop & Shop logo

Started by jp the roadgeek, September 29, 2018, 07:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

Heading to a local Stop & Shop in Berlin, CT, I noticed that the signage at this location had been changed from the Ahold/Giant purple and yellow logo to a newer stylized version of the retro logo.  Makes me wonder if other Ahold stores will follow suit and if it's an image update that went along with the Delhaize merger.  Here is a shot:

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

hotdogPi

I work at Stop & Shop. A few things in the store still have the old logo, including the "mart carts" (hybrid wheelchairs/carriages for people who can't walk easily) and several items in the back where only workers are allowed.

I didn't realize that they were changing to an updated old logo; I thought they were just going back to the old one with no changes.

Also, I thought that every bank inside a Stop & Shop was a Citizens Bank. The Stop & Shop radio advertises that they have a Citizens Bank inside the store, and I thought the radio was standardized across stores.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

jon daly

Citizen's "footprint" in Connecticut is mainly in the southern three counties (New London, New Haven, and Fairfield.)

Good riddance to that old logo. I welcome the stoplight's return.

CapeCodder

Quote from: 1 on September 29, 2018, 07:23:29 PM
I work at Stop & Shop. A few things in the store still have the old logo, including the "mart carts" (hybrid wheelchairs/carriages for people who can't walk easily) and several items in the back where only workers are allowed.

I didn't realize that they were changing to an updated old logo; I thought they were just going back to the old one with no changes.

Also, I thought that every bank inside a Stop & Shop was a Citizens Bank. The Stop & Shop radio advertises that they have a Citizens Bank inside the store, and I thought the radio was standardized across stores.
Do your supervisors treat you and your fellow employees kindly? Ours on the Cape seemed to need to be trained in that artform.

hotdogPi

Quote from: CapeCodder on September 30, 2018, 06:21:29 PM

Do your supervisors treat you and your fellow employees kindly? Ours on the Cape seemed to need to be trained in that artform.

From my viewpoint, yes, but some other people have had a few problems with some of them.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

CapeCodder

Quote from: 1 on September 30, 2018, 09:28:15 PM
Quote from: CapeCodder on September 30, 2018, 06:21:29 PM

From my viewpoint, yes, but some other people have had a few problems with some of them.

I just remember most of the employees at my store were in sour moods. Two of the cardboard guys weren't allowed to be in the store while the other was there, as they would make the back room their personal boxing ring and fight each other. If it were up to me, I'd fire the lot and replace them with people who actually give a shit about their jobs. I worked front end. Courtesy clerk. That was an adventure in of itself.

Roadrunner75

Can they go retro on their prices?  Stop and Shop is the most expensive grocery store in our area...

briantroutman

I don't shop at Ahold stores, but if the company is indeed switching to old signage for Stop & Shop, I have to wonder why. From what I've seen, Ahold seemed to have been standardizing many marketing and operating assets between the company's various brands over the past decade or so. Is this a sign that the new "common brand"  lost some of the traction that the old standalone brands had?

Giant-Landover and Giant-Carlisle have kept their separate marquee logos, but I heard the following explanation for that: Giant-Landover's workforce is unionized whereas Giant-Carlisle's is not, and therefore Ahold needs to keep a very clear separation between these two subsidiaries to contain the unionization of the workforce. I don't know whether this is true or not (and not familiar enough with labor law to be certain that it's a relevant concern anyway). But the awkward clunkiness of both Giants' identities always made me suspect that Ahold had long-term plans to somehow combine the two into a single operating unit under the "fruitbowl"  logo once all of the complications had been sorted out.

KEVIN_224

I worked in that Berlin, CT store until April. All that work wrapped up last week or so (the last being the paint job under the new sign). I don't know if the signs at the Farmington Avenue (CT Route 372) entrance were changed yet.

As for other locations, I could check on their store on Corbin Avenue in New Britain.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on October 01, 2018, 03:27:12 PM
I worked in that Berlin, CT store until April. All that work wrapped up last week or so (the last being the paint job under the new sign). I don't know if the signs at the Farmington Avenue (CT Route 372) entrance were changed yet.

As for other locations, I could check on their store on Corbin Avenue in New Britain.

The Massirio Dr entrance signs were changed.  Didn't check out the Farmington Ave sign.  The store in Southington hasn't shown any outward signs of change, although I learned they are now a model store from when I was shopping in there a couple months ago and about 300 people were touring the place.  Never saw the store so stocked and clean.  But yeah, Stop & Shop's prices have gone way up.  Feel like I'm in Fairfield County when I shop there.  Shop Rite has lower prices now, but Big Y is usually the highest, even higher than Stop & Shop.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

WR of USA

Market Baskets a decent alternative to Stop and Shop in Massachusetts.
Traffic? No problem, enjoy the scenery!

Long live the lovely Sagamore and Bourne bridges and their welcoming traffic bottlenecks for the tourists!

KEVIN_224

To update on the Berlin, CT Stop & Shop (a.k.a. the Evil Ampersand)...the entrance signs for the Farmington Avenue entrance, along with the gas station price sign, are changed out. Also, they were adding some H&R Block-style lime green paint above the main entrance (bottle room side).

PHLBOS

I always liked this old Stop & Shop logo (from 1963).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

CapeCodder

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 04, 2018, 10:59:28 AM

Screams 60's. It does look pretty cool.

jon daly

It's too bad the the blog Pleasant Family Shopping is dead. It seems like it'd be pretty popular among us aa-roadsters.

briantroutman

OK"š as a graphic designer, I can imagine sitting in a meeting with the client–about half a dozen people sitting around the boardroom table. The VP of marketing clears his throat:

"Our name is "˜Stop & Shop', but it's the green light that's in the shopping cart. Our name isn't "˜Go & Shop'. Can you reverse the order of the lights so that the red is on the bottom?

abefroman329

Quote from: briantroutman on October 04, 2018, 07:08:57 PM

OK"š as a graphic designer, I can imagine sitting in a meeting with the client–about half a dozen people sitting around the boardroom table. The VP of marketing clears his throat:

"Our name is "˜Stop & Shop', but it's the green light that's in the shopping cart. Our name isn't "˜Go & Shop'. Can you reverse the order of the lights so that the red is on the bottom?
Red-yellow-green looks like stop-and-shop to me.

txstateends

Quote from: jon daly on October 04, 2018, 06:53:07 PM
It's too bad the the blog Pleasant Family Shopping is dead. It seems like it'd be pretty popular among us aa-roadsters.

There's still a Pleasant Family Shopping page on Facebook.  It's fairly active, especially these days, with so much retail (and store locations) closing and going away.  IINM, right now the page's webmaster has the "funky P" (as they call it) from the pre-1970-1971 Penney's logo on the page's avatar.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Roadrunner75

Quote from: briantroutman on October 04, 2018, 07:08:57 PM

At which point someone explained to him that the logo should remain both MUTCD compliant and OCD compliant in order to maintain the road enthusiast customer base.

jp the roadgeek

And I just saw my first TV ad with the updated logo.

Tonytone

What do stop & shops have? They seem to not reach the north east yet or maybe they closed down back in the day.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

hotdogPi

Quote from: Tonytone on October 05, 2018, 12:41:41 PM
What do stop & shops have? They seem to not reach the north east yet or maybe they closed down back in the day.

iPhone

They're grocery stores, although there are a few miscellaneous items (pet supplies, soap/shampoo, books, etc.)

And they're only in the northeast. You're too far south, although Giant, if there are any in your area, is pretty much identical to Stop & Shop.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50

KEVIN_224

https://www.supermarketnews.com/retail-financial/stop-shop-unveils-new-look

It turns out that greater Hartford is the first region being changed over to this look. The New England division is headquartered on Hancock Street in Quincy, MA. That covers MA, RI and CT. The New York division covers NY state and NJ. The New England division once had 6 stores in southern NH. They all closed in the fall a few years ago. They even had a store on US Route 1 in Kennebunk, ME. The locals rejected it. Safe to say that their sister chain, Hannaford, dominates northern New England (ME, NH and VT, along with parts of upstate NY and northeastern MA).

Giant is primarily PA, DE, MD and DC. Not sure if there are any in VA. I want to say that Giant is based in Carlisle, PA.

qguy

Quote from: 1 on October 05, 2018, 02:00:35 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on October 05, 2018, 12:41:41 PM
iPhone
They're grocery stores, although there are a few miscellaneous items (pet supplies, soap/shampoo, books, etc.)

And they're only in the northeast. You're too far south, although Giant, if there are any in your area, is pretty much identical to Stop & Shop.

AFAIK, there are no Stop & Shops in Pennsylvania.

Don't pretty much all grocery stores (of a decent size anyway) carry pet supplies, soap/shampoo, books, etc.?

briantroutman

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on October 05, 2018, 10:12:27 PM
Giant is primarily PA, DE, MD and DC. Not sure if there are any in VA. I want to say that Giant is based in Carlisle, PA.

There are two separate and distinct Giant grocery store chains, although both are subsidiaries of Ahold-Delhaize (which also owns Stop & Shop among other chains)

Giant-Carlisle (officially Giant Food Stores, LLC) is based in Carlisle, PA and operates Giant-branded supermarkets in central and eastern Pennsylvania. In addition, the company operates identical stores under the name "Martin's"  (to avoid confusion and trademark disputes with the other Giant as well as the unrelated Giant Eagle) in a few parts of western Pennsylvania plus the panhandles of Maryland and West Virginia as well as nearby rural northern Virginia (well outside the DC area)–and also an isolated cluster in the Richmond area that was previously the Ukrops chain of grocery stores.

Giant-Landover (officially Giant Food of Maryland, LLC) is based in Landover, MD and operates Giant-branded stores in Maryland, Virginia, and Delaware (primarily in the Washington and Baltimore metro areas). When Giant-Landover expanded into Philadelphia market in the '90s, it was under the name "Super G"  (for the same reason that Giant-Carlisle's MD/VA stores are called "Martin's" ).

Both chains use corporate parent Ahold's "fruitbowl"  logo on store-branded products, but Giant-Landover stores have also been increasingly using that logo for store signage as well. To my knowledge, no Giant-Carlisle stores have ever featured the fruitbowl logo on store signage.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.