News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-69 in KY

Started by Grzrd, September 20, 2010, 12:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abqtraveler

Google hasn't been down the Purchase Parkway around Mayfield in quite some time. I think the street view images along the Purchase through Mayfield date back to the 2012-2013 timeframe. 
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: abqtraveler on September 03, 2018, 10:18:02 PM
Google hasn't been down the Purchase Parkway around Mayfield in quite some time. I think the street view images along the Purchase through Mayfield date back to the 2012-2013 timeframe.

Google's timing can be off.  They drove down I-65 by the I-22 interchange just about a week or so before it opened .  There is a section of I-74 in NC that was last photographed a sunset, so you can't see anything.

SSR_317

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on September 04, 2018, 07:22:53 AM

Google's timing can be off.  They drove down I-65 by the I-22 interchange just about a week or so before it opened .  There is a section of I-74 in NC that was last photographed a sunset, so you can't see anything.
I concur. Some of Google's Street-View images of SB I-17 north of Phoenix were obviously taken well after sunset as well. All you can see are headlights & taillights. I'm also quite PO'd that they took away the ability to turn off 3-D, as those images were much better to use when you wanted to do measurements.

vdeane

Turn off the Globe view for the flat (and sometimes newer) satellite imagery.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Stephane Dumas

The Purchase Parkway isn't the only one where Google didn't visited since a while. The Cumberland Pkwy at Edmonton KY where it meet US-68 date from September 2011 while the part where US-68 goes over Cumberland Pkwy dates from June 2008 and it didn't show the interchange who had been built since then.

SSR_317

Quote from: vdeane on September 06, 2018, 09:16:11 PM
Thanks, I'll give that a try!

edwaleni

There are still whole cities that have only one road mapped by Google.

The fact they have what they have is pretty amazing.

On the flip side, there are some very remote dirt roads where Google has some overwhelming coverage, which I couldn't explain in any lifetime.

Roadsguy

Quote from: SSR_317 on September 09, 2018, 06:01:59 PM

Keep in mind that in many areas with newer 3D imagery, turning off 3D doesn't go to flat imagery, it goes to a flattened rendering of the same 3D imagery.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

SSR_317

Quote from: SSR_317 on September 09, 2018, 06:01:59 PM
Worked great, many thanks for the tip!

GreenLanternCorps

With I-69 complete from Henderson South to Mayfield, and with SIU 7 construction on going in Tennessee, what is the status of the project to link them together?

Major construction is needed from the US 51/TN interchange to the US51/KY interchange, plus fixing the bow tie at Wingo.

There was a lot of talk about planning on this thread earlier, but what is the official status at this point?

Ryctor2018

KYTC is working on this next: http://www.wkms.org/post/completion-interchange-projects-adds-30-miles-interstate-69-kentucky

"Kentucky Transportation Cabinet District One Chief Engineer Mike McGregor said the agency is now turning attention to completing upgrades along the remaining 20 miles of the parkway. He said they have started design work for upgrades to the Kentucky 339 Exit 14 Wingo Interchange and upgrades that will extend I-69 southward toward the Kentucky-Tennessee state line."

2DI's traveled: 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 24, 30, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45, 49, 55, 57, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 85, 87, 88, 90, 93, 94, 95, 96

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: Ryctor2018 on October 10, 2018, 07:09:46 PM
KYTC is working on this next: http://www.wkms.org/post/completion-interchange-projects-adds-30-miles-interstate-69-kentucky

"Kentucky Transportation Cabinet District One Chief Engineer Mike McGregor said the agency is now turning attention to completing upgrades along the remaining 20 miles of the parkway. He said they have started design work for upgrades to the Kentucky 339 Exit 14 Wingo Interchange and upgrades that will extend I-69 southward toward the Kentucky-Tennessee state line."

So it is literally "on the drawing board."

seicer

They aren't in a rush to get that part done, considering that I-69 will just end at the border.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: seicer on October 10, 2018, 10:48:59 PM
They aren't in a rush to get that part done, considering that I-69 will just end at the border.

Except that Tennessee is actively working on SIU 7.

seicer

Hardly. There is very little activity between Fulton and Memphis other than the Union City bypass, which isn't progressing any further than it's current status - graded. There are still years to go for planning and environmental justice work before construction can even begin. The Ohio River bridge is a more urgent matter.

Captain Jack

Quote from: seicer on October 11, 2018, 11:57:54 AM
Hardly. There is very little activity between Fulton and Memphis other than the Union City bypass, which isn't progressing any further than it's current status - graded. There are still years to go for planning and environmental justice work before construction can even begin. The Ohio River bridge is a more urgent matter.

No kidding, I think Tennessee has (1) worker working on the Union City bypass. Seems like it has been under construction for about 20 years. Has there been anything else at all started along this route? I sure haven't seen anything.

I am to the point of wishing that they would just build a straight cut across the Missouri bootheel, from the I-155 bridge towards Steele and the Missouri 164 interchange with I-55. Couldn't be more than 10 miles, and would be a lot cheaper than new terrain from Dyersburg to Memphis, not to mention the snails pace Tennessee is moving on this project.

GreenLanternCorps

From the I-69 Tennessee thread:

Quote from: Grzrd on April 23, 2018, 03:30:30 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on May 09, 2017, 11:13:13 AM
There's a lot of I-69 SIU 7 planned for FY 2020 in the FY 2018-20 Three Year Plan (pp. 9-10/21 of pdf):

There's also revised ROW acquisition for I-69/I-240 (p.12/21 of pdf):

No Lauderdale County/SIU 8 projects, though.

The FY 2019-21 Three Year Plan contains the following Obion County projects, which includes the addition of environmental work on the state line section in 2019 and preliminary engineering on the state line section in 2021 (p.14/31 of pdf):

However, no additional work on either I-69/I-240 in Shelby County or I-69 in Lauderdale County.

It is slow but there is activity on SIU 7.

From what I have been able to determine, they are acquiring land for sections 1, 2 (Troy Bypass) and 5 (TN 21 to US 51)

Section 3 has been under construction, and section 4 needs grading and paving.

And to answer my own question there does appear to some work scheduled for the Tennessee side of the state line section

seicer

Some of that is about the Union City Bypass, and that timetable to finish construction and paving is absurdly slow. It's been under construction for years in a very piecemeal fashion. It's no hurry to be built considering how adequate the existing road is. Others call for the construction of the Union City Bypass to US 51 at Mulberry Road, but that's way out in 2021. And environmental studies for the remainder of the route north to Kentucky, which will take several years just to complete.

But just like STIP's in other states, just because its listed doesn't mean it happens. I've seen projects languish on Tennessee's and Kentucky's lists for years. At least this provides some guidance on when some of these projects is -expected- to happen.

I'm going to wage a bet that the Ohio River Bridge happens first. With that work progressing faster than what I was expecting, and that project costing so much money, I just don't see Kentucky rushing to get I-69 finished further south when the connector to Union City won't be built out until well into the late 2020's.

sparker

Quote from: seicer on October 12, 2018, 07:48:47 AM
Some of that is about the Union City Bypass, and that timetable to finish construction and paving is absurdly slow. It's been under construction for years in a very piecemeal fashion. It's no hurry to be built considering how adequate the existing road is. Others call for the construction of the Union City Bypass to US 51 at Mulberry Road, but that's way out in 2021. And environmental studies for the remainder of the route north to Kentucky, which will take several years just to complete.

But just like STIP's in other states, just because its listed doesn't mean it happens. I've seen projects languish on Tennessee's and Kentucky's lists for years. At least this provides some guidance on when some of these projects is -expected- to happen.

I'm going to wage a bet that the Ohio River Bridge happens first. With that work progressing faster than what I was expecting, and that project costing so much money, I just don't see Kentucky rushing to get I-69 finished further south when the connector to Union City won't be built out until well into the late 2020's.

The prime incentives to getting I-69 down to the state line in the near term would be simply money (avoidance of inflationary factors) and, well, just getting those I-69 projects in the rear view mirror (except for the Ohio River bridge, of course).  Once done, KY can focus its attention on other projects: upgrading the Natcher to I-165, finishing off the I-65 expansion, etc.   

mvak36

Quote from: sparker on October 13, 2018, 11:33:52 AM
Quote from: seicer on October 12, 2018, 07:48:47 AM

The prime incentives to getting I-69 down to the state line in the near term would be simply money (avoidance of inflationary factors) and, well, just getting those I-69 projects in the rear view mirror (except for the Ohio River bridge, of course).  Once done, KY can focus its attention on other projects: upgrading the Natcher to I-165, finishing off the I-65 expansion, etc.

I thought the I-65 expansion in KY will be done this year. Maybe I am mistaken.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

wriddle082

^ The last four-lane stretch of I-65 is being widened now and should finish fairly soon.  But now there are plans on widening it from 6 to 8 lanes from Elizabethtown to the outskirts of Louisville.  This is the section that was originally the Kentucky Turnpike, and was the first rural stretch to be widened.  Completely reconstructed in the mid-80's, with not a single original structure remaining.

sparker

Quote from: mvak36 on October 13, 2018, 08:17:22 PM
I thought the I-65 expansion in KY will be done this year. Maybe I am mistaken.
Quote from: wriddle082 on October 13, 2018, 08:36:37 PM
^ The last four-lane stretch of I-65 is being widened now and should finish fairly soon.  But now there are plans on widening it from 6 to 8 lanes from Elizabethtown to the outskirts of Louisville.  This is the section that was originally the Kentucky Turnpike, and was the first rural stretch to be widened.  Completely reconstructed in the mid-80's, with not a single original structure remaining.

Good.  Then KY can work on expansion of I-64 (at least between Louisville and Lexington) and as much of I-75 as their budgets can handle.  Traffic on those freeways warrants at least 6 lanes throughout.   

silverback1065

Quote from: wriddle082 on October 13, 2018, 08:36:37 PM

why does 65 need to be 8 lanes wide there?

seicer

The hills and the percentage of truck traffic is the main driver. It gets horribly congested during the daylight hours.

SteveG1988

Quote from: seicer on October 14, 2018, 10:19:31 PM
The hills and the percentage of truck traffic is the main driver. It gets horribly congested during the daylight hours.

I can confirm this. I-65 in Kentucky needs to be wider than it is. The pain of the widening project is almost over, i remember the massive backups in the truck south of exit 86...and through the sonora section itself. Having the main road south of the city being 6 lanes is a massive improvement, and having more lanes through to the city itself will help as well. rebuilding the 265 and 264 interchanges to be more free flowing would be a massive improvement.

As for i-69, In the truck i use the purchase parkway section infrequently, mostly to connect to i-24 to get to i-57 via US45 when i have to run from Newbern TN to Zeeland Michigan. Using 69 to connect north isn't worth the nearly 40 miles.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.