News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Saturday October 27, 2018: Eastern Catskill Mountains Road Meet

Started by cl94, March 23, 2018, 11:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which dates work for the meet?

October 27 (Saturday)
6 (75%)
October 28 (Sunday)
4 (50%)
November 3 (Saturday, last day of Daylight Savings Time)
6 (75%)
November 4 (Sunday, first day after DST ends)
2 (25%)
November 10 (Saturday)
5 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on May 15, 2018, 12:47:18 PM
Quote from: cl94 on May 14, 2018, 11:50:05 PM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on May 14, 2018, 11:11:20 PM
Um-hum  :poke:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=22188.0

Oops...scratch that. Guess I will be having this in the spring after all...
Is there some law that says that only one fall roadmeet is allowed?

No, but I was planning to attend Mentor and had completely forgotten about it. Are people up to a November meet? Might be cold-ish, but that would work for me, too. Early November would still be before the snow but after tourist season.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Dougtone

Quote from: cl94 on May 15, 2018, 01:01:32 PM
Quote from: vdeane on May 15, 2018, 12:47:18 PM
Quote from: cl94 on May 14, 2018, 11:50:05 PM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on May 14, 2018, 11:11:20 PM
Um-hum  :poke:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=22188.0

Oops...scratch that. Guess I will be having this in the spring after all...
Is there some law that says that only one fall roadmeet is allowed?

No, but I was planning to attend Mentor and had completely forgotten about it. Are people up to a November meet? Might be cold-ish, but that would work for me, too. Early November would still be before the snow but after tourist season.

November meets have happened in places like Michigan, Vermont and Massachusetts before, with solid attendance.

vdeane

I should be able to do November.  Though I'd note that September 15 would still not be consecutive with Mentor.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

The biggest problem with a November meet, IMO, is daylight. This might be a "get lunch on your own beforehand, we're starting the tour at noon" thing with the meal post-meet. Might actually be easier to get a group onto a restaurant post-meet, too, as the places I was considering are busier at lunchtime. Including stops, I have the tour pegged at 4 hours, which eats up a lot of our daylight. We could also theoretically do a brunch meet (as in we meet at the place 9-10 AM).

Quote from: vdeane on May 15, 2018, 08:42:15 PM
I should be able to do November.  Though I'd note that September 15 would still not be consecutive with Mentor.

I'm really open to whatever. I just don't want people to end up having to choose between two closely-spaced meets. It would hurt attendance at both.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

vdeane

Those can work.  My St. Lawrence County meet was planned as a brunch meet, starting at 10, though we ended up just starting the tour instead of having brunch.  The Burlington and Long Island Day 2 meets were both "no lunch, dinner after" (as was St. Lawrence County as it actually happened).  If done that way, I would probably just eat breakfast like I normally do, being in daytrip range.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Also, keep in mind that any meet after the first Saturday in November is going to be after DST ends, meaning it will get dark an hour earlier. That, for me, was a negative issue when I attended the Springfield, Mass. meet several years ago.

An Ohio meet isn't set in stone, from what I gather. Set whatever date you want and let the chips fall where they may.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

QuoteThis might be a "get lunch on your own beforehand, we're starting the tour at noon" thing with the meal post-meet.

I actually prefer this setup, even without factoring in Daylight Savings.  Gives more flexibility to the attendees.

For example, last summer's Twin Cities meet did not have an official lunch (in part because we were going to be running around for a solid 4 hours).  I find it easier to have a hard start time for the meet itself instead of the lunch, which can often run long (thinking specifically of a SE PA meet where it took 2 hours just to square the bill).  If attendees want to get together on their own for lunch ahead of time, that's fine (and a number of them did join me for lunch before the meet).  If they'd rather do lunch on their own and just gather for the tour, this gives them opportunity to do so.

That said, having an official lunch does help those who want to join the group for lunch, but are unable to do the tour (like what I did at Selinsgrove a few weeks ago or in Nashville 4 years ago).  But I still prefer a hard tour time and flexible lunch.

Brandon

Quote from: froggie on May 17, 2018, 07:50:11 AM
QuoteThis might be a "get lunch on your own beforehand, we're starting the tour at noon" thing with the meal post-meet.

I actually prefer this setup, even without factoring in Daylight Savings.  Gives more flexibility to the attendees.

I don't.  It lacks the proper opportunity for everyone to just talk with each other.  I strongly felt the Twin Cities meet last year could have used one.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

froggie

There was plenty of opportunity for such.  Just because I didn't have a formal lunch didn't mean attendees couldn't join me for an informal one beforehand...and several did.

Brandon

Quote from: froggie on May 17, 2018, 07:55:53 AM
There was plenty of opportunity for such.  Just because I didn't have a formal lunch didn't mean attendees couldn't join me for an informal one beforehand...and several did.

However, the formal lunch strikes me as a much better idea.  We chose somewhere local that could've been a decent meet lunch location as well.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

froggie

kalvado

Quote from: froggie on May 17, 2018, 07:59:42 AM
Agree to disagree?
Since the DST issue was touched along with food topic, let me bring a heavily discussed question from DST thread:
Is there a need to put a bowel motion part into the schedule?

hbelkins

Quote from: kalvado on May 17, 2018, 08:56:36 AM
Quote from: froggie on May 17, 2018, 07:59:42 AM
Agree to disagree?
Since the DST issue was touched along with food topic, let me bring a heavily discussed question from DST thread:
Is there a need to put a bowel motion part into the schedule?

Most meet tours these days have a scheduled bathroom stop or two.

Quote from: Brandon on May 17, 2018, 07:52:28 AM
Quote from: froggie on May 17, 2018, 07:50:11 AM

I don't.  It lacks the proper opportunity for everyone to just talk with each other.  I strongly felt the Twin Cities meet last year could have used one.

Of course, I got sick last spring and had to miss my own meet, but my New River Gorge meet was supposed to be divided into two segments -- a self-guided trip down into the gorge on the old road, lunch on your own, then reassemble at a certain time for the second leg of the tour. I have no idea how things actually worked out in that regard.

I had intended to come to Noodles & Co. had I been able to make Twin Cities last year.

Perhaps a compromise should be to schedule brunch at a certain time for anyone who wants to come, then a hard start time for the meet. In addition to settling the checks, it takes time to organize the carpools as well.

cl94

I was thinking of an optional brunch with the main meal post meet. I want to have a firm start time because daylight (sunset that time of year is 5:45 while we still have DST and there won't be much twilight because mountains), but yes, I do think that there should be a big meal as part of it. Likely an early dinner at one of the local Italian restaurants, most of which are only open for dinner on weekends. Main local options in Kingston are diners and Italian.

My planned restroom stop is the new-ish Catskill Interpretive Center on NY 28 in Mt. Tremper. When I was there a couple weeks ago, they had many state maps (VERY hard to find). Also has some exhibits on the area. This is also a reason for a firm start time, because I want to be past this point well before they close (not an issue if we can start 11-12).

November might actually be better than September because we won't have leaves. That'll make it easier to get to/see some of the abandoned/old stuff and we won't have as many tourists clogging everything up.

Alps

Bathroom stops are not required as long as you have an itinerary and wait for people to catch up. A planned bathroom stop often stretches into 20+ wasted minutes.

cl94

Quote from: Alps on May 17, 2018, 06:22:17 PM
Bathroom stops are not required as long as you have an itinerary and wait for people to catch up. A planned bathroom stop often stretches into 20+ wasted minutes.

I generally tend to agree, but it has become an expectation nowadays and people will get upset if I don't include one. I was considering stopping there anyway because maps and exhibits about the area.

froggie

Unlike the young, spry thirtysomething Steve Alps, I find that scheduling a 10-15 minute "wayside" per 2 hours of tour is useful, especially for those with older bladders.  Scheduling tour stops that happen to have/include bathrooms (such as the Fort Snelling stop we made at the Twin Cities meet) also helps mitigate this.

cl94

Quote from: froggie on May 18, 2018, 02:41:15 PM
Scheduling tour stops that happen to have/include bathrooms (such as the Fort Snelling stop we made at the Twin Cities meet) also helps mitigate this.

Which is the precise reason I'm doing the welcome center as a tour stop. Let people look at the exhibits/get maps and use the (clean) restrooms while there. I thought Fort Snelling was a good stop for that reason.

Public restrooms in the Catskills are disturbingly hard to come by. I know where several are, but I don't expect people to try and find them on their own.

For what it's worth, we'll be passing a good half-dozen or more Stewart's and Quick Chek locations with clean restrooms if people require stops beyond what is scheduled. Basically one or more between every pair of stops.

Alps

Quote from: froggie on May 18, 2018, 02:41:15 PM
Unlike the young, spry thirtysomething Steve Alps, I find that scheduling a 10-15 minute "wayside" per 2 hours of tour is useful, especially for those with older bladders.  Scheduling tour stops that happen to have/include bathrooms (such as the Fort Snelling stop we made at the Twin Cities meet) also helps mitigate this.

The problem I have is time dilation. Make it a waypoint between stops and people are less likely to abuse it.

cl94

I'm reopening a poll for potential dates. Late October or early November is the time frame I was thinking.

As mentioned in previous replies, I was thinking of doing this with the main meal as a post-meet early dinner so we can have a fixed start time. There will likely be an optional pre-meet brunch at a local diner, but this would be informal. The reason for this is that a couple of the stops (including the planned restroom stop) are time-sensitive.

baugh17

Any of those dates will work for me (I'm on vacation from work during that stretch of time, not that it will make a lot of difference).

Quote from: cl94 on June 27, 2018, 01:09:37 PM
I'm reopening a poll for potential dates. Late October or early November is the time frame I was thinking.

As mentioned in previous replies, I was thinking of doing this with the main meal as a post-meet early dinner so we can have a fixed start time. There will likely be an optional pre-meet brunch at a local diner, but this would be informal. The reason for this is that a couple of the stops (including the planned restroom stop) are time-sensitive.

tckma

Posting only to express interest and make sure I get notifications.

I'm ruling Sundays out at this point because my job (a) requires me to be in at 7:30am, (b) is a job that is a 2 1/2 hour drive away from home, so I stay in a hotel during the week, (c) Since I don't plan on checking into the hotel on Sunday since I'm only reimbursed for hotel stays during the work week, that means on Mondays I must leave my house by 4:30am to account for any travel hiccups, meaning (d) I have to wake up at 3:30am, and (e) I like to pack the night before and get a decent amount of sleep.

Therefore, Sunday's not a good day for a roadmeet for me because I'd need to be back home by early afternoon, I think.

Now... this job is just a "holding pattern" (maximum of 1 year) until I'm able to start a permanent position much closer to home, so by the time of this meet, I may be able to make it on a Sunday.  But to be safe, I'm going to say no Sundays.

hbelkins

Voting for the three DST options. Much of my availability depends on work schedules and a jury duty schedule.

cl94

The last Saturday of October was the winner and it happens to be my preferred date as well, so October 27 it is. More details forthcoming.

cl94

I have a general idea of the route, more info will follow later:

• After an early lunch, we'll drive through the historic Stockade district and see what may be the last remaining cutout NY route shield
  • We'll drive over to and walk on the historic Kingston-Port Ewen Suspension Bridge
  • NY 213 will be clinched, with a loop to see the odd NY 32 divided street and stops at Perrine's Covered Bridge and the Rosendale Trestle
  • We'll visit at least one of the historic bridges at the Ashokan Reservoir
  • We'll clinch NY 28A, which is almost entirely maintained by the New York City Department of Transportation
  • Finally, we'll drive the infamous Interstate 587

Not too long and visits most of the interesting stuff in east-central Ulster County.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.