News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minnesota Notes

Started by Mdcastle, April 18, 2012, 07:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bickendan

Seems to me that Ayd Mill Rd was meant to be the missing connection.

froggie

Ayd Mill Rd was intended as the longer-term and regional-scale connection (ca. 1963 city plans envisioned it as a full freeway that would continue north of I-94 along Snelling Ave).  Local connections were to be via what became today's Kellogg Blvd.

It should also be noted that, of the four mid-1940s-era maps planning I-94 and I-35E that I've seen, only one of them had the direct ramps like what was in the graphic Monte linked to.

TheHighwayMan3561

A roundabout is being installed on the north side of the I-35/MN 33 interchange in Cloquet this year. This intersection has been the site of a number of major crashes over the last several years as SB MN 33-NB I-35 traffic takes a left turn across traffic exiting from northbound I-35 onto MN 33. I expect this will result in critics warning that the high-speed traffic exiting the freeway will not be expecting a low-speed obstacle, and it's not really debatable that the sight lines on the NB 35-NB 33 ramp aren't very good.

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/d1/projects/i-35-cloquet/
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

MNHighwayMan

That seems like an absolutely awful place for a roundabout.

TheHighwayMan3561

Frankly I would have just gotten rid of the SB 33-NB 35 movement if they had come to the point that action needed to be taken, and just redirect NB 35-bound traffic down Carlton County 45 to the I-35 interchange at Exit 239.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

froggie

FHWA frowns upon incomplete Interstate interchanges these days.  There are exceptions they will grant (494/169), but generally speaking they prefer full interchanges.

The 494/169 rebuild almost didn't happen because of this preference.

MNHighwayMan

Wasn't there also some similar kind of nonsense about the missing movements at the I-94/MN-610 interchange?

Mdcastle

There's a project to convert all District 1, 3, 4, 7 and Metro Districts high mast lighting to LEDs this summers with three projects to be let this summer. 8816-2701 covers the metro and District 3, and 8816-2704 covers District 7, 8816-2733 covers Districts 1 and 4. Both symmetrical and asymmetrical  high pressure sodium luminaires used 1000 watts plus the ballast; the symmetrical LEDs use 627 watts and the asymmetrical ones use 209 watts proving that LEDs really shine when you want to direct light to a specific area rather than all over.

The only approved fixture is made by Holophane. Previously they've used holophane fixtures intended for high mast installations mounted to davit poles for 5 lane freeways.

District 2 and 8 have no high mast lights that I know of, and no word about District 6.

texaskdog

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on April 04, 2018, 08:18:00 AM
Wasn't there also some similar kind of nonsense about the missing movements at the I-94/MN-610 interchange?

Living in Texas "incomplete interchanges" makes us laugh.  e.g. to go from SB 35 to NB 183 or SB 183 you must exit and take a turn and get back on.  Also for NB 183 to SB or NB 35, SB 183 to NB 35, or NB 35 to SB 183.  The only directional is SB 183 to SB 35 and vice versa.  There are many intersections like this.

froggie

^ However, as I recall, the frontage roads in much of Texas are considered part of the Interstate, even if there are signals at the junctions.  So those are not considered incomplete interchanges in a general sense...

texaskdog

Quote from: froggie on April 05, 2018, 10:59:01 AM
^ However, as I recall, the frontage roads in much of Texas are considered part of the Interstate, even if there are signals at the junctions.  So those are not considered incomplete interchanges in a general sense...

and you gotta love our turnarounds

froggie

As usual for the first week of April, MnDOT announced their 2018 construction season.  Also, as has become tradition over the past few years, I've created a series of posts showing completion of major projects over the past year, plus current and planned major projects including interchanges, major roundabouts, or other major highway projects.

Here's what was completed in 2017:

MN 7/US 71 south of Willmar - This project replaced the previous traffic signal with a roundabout.
MN 23 at Kandiyohi CSAH 5 near Willmar - This project built an overpass for CSAH 5 over MN 23, utilizing the existing grading/fill that was initially built with the Willmar bypass for a planned interchange.  The eastbound on-ramp to MN 23 was also built so as to avoid the need for at-grade left turns onto MN 23.  The existing roadway north of MN 23 remains as the connector road for the other movements between MN 23 and CSAH 5.
MN 23 in West Duluth - Completion of reconstruction of MN 23 through West Duluth, from Becks Rd to I-35.
MN 24 over the Mississippi River - While the new bridge itself was opened last summer and the old bridge removed, wrap-up work continues into this summer.  The wrap-up work includes repaving and traffic signal upgrades between I-94 and US 10.
I-35W at County Road H in Arden Hills - This project widened County Road H between I-35W and CSAH 10, removed the southbound on-ramp loop, added a northbound off-ramp from I-35W that bridges under the WB 10-to-NB 35W ramp, and built roundabouts at the ramp terminals.
MN 36 St. Croix River Crossing - The "Stillwater Bridge" replacement is finally open to traffic, having opened last August (just before the Twin Cities road meet).  There are a few punchlist items left for this year, plus conversion of the old lift bridge into a bike/ped facility, but aside from a brief MN 95 closure this summer, this project is finished for the motoring public.
US 52 at MN 58 in Zumbrota - This project replaced the MN 58 bridge over US 52 and added roundabouts at the ramp junctions.
US 52 at Dakota CSAH 86 near Cannon Falls - This "pop-up" project built an interchange on US 52 at Dakota CSAH 86.  The layout is a folded-diamond interchange with on-ramp loops.
US 52 between Cannon Falls and Coates - MnDOT converted several intersections on US 52 to Reduced-Conflict Intersections (RCI).
US 53 relocation near Virginia - This major project relocated US 53 on the south side of Virginia so that the adjacent mining company (which owns the land underneath existing US 53) can expand its mine.  US 53 was relocated to the northeast, including a 1,100ft long bridge over the Rocheleau Pit that is now the tallest bridge in the state.  The project replaced the existing half-interchange at 2nd St with an intersection, but added a diamond interchange at MN 135 to replace the old 53/135 interchange.
US 59 at Becker CSAH 22 south of Detroit Lakes - MnDOT built a roundabout at US 59/CSAH 22, replacing the former 4-way stop sign.
MN 73 at Carlton CSAH 10 in Moose Lake - Part of a series of other improvements around Moose Lake, a roundabout was built at MN 73/CSAH 10.
MN 73 at St. Louis CSAH 5 in Chisholm - This county-led project partially realigned CSAH 5 and built a roundabout where it meets MN 73, just north of US 169.
MN 77 at Cedar Grove (just south of MN 13) - Not a highway project per se but a transit project that impacted the MN 77 freeway.  This project built an in-line BRT station in the median of MN 77 at Cedar Grove, just south of MN 13.  The roadway configuration is similar to that of the 46th St BRT station along I-35W in Minneapolis.
I-94 in East St. Paul - Primarily a pavement reconstruction project extending out to MN 120, this project also built an auxiliary lane between downtown and Mounds Blvd, so there are now at least 4 lanes along eastbound I-94 from the 11th St on-ramp downtown out to US 10/61 South.
US 169 from MN 62 to MN 55 - A number of projects were combined into one for this project, which included repairing pavement, closing the southbound ramps at 16th St (just south of I-394), and replacing the bridge over Nine Mile Creek (north of MN 62).  The latter required a 9-month full shutdown of US 169.  Everything is now completed and open.
US 169 at Red Oak Dr/Southgate Dr in Aitkin - A roundabout was built at this intersection in southern Aitkin.
US 169 at MN 37 in Hibbing - A roundabout was built at this major junction, replacing a traffic signal.  While technically a single lane roundabout, it was designed to include a "free right" for southbound 169 through traffic and was also designed to accommodate double-wide truck loads like this.
MN 210 through Jay Cooke State Park - Completed last fall, this project rebuilt a section of MN 210 through the park (which is between Carlton and West Duluth) that was washed out during a severe flood in 2012.
MN 371 between Nisswa and Jenkins - This long-desired project widened MN 371 to 4 lanes from Nisswa to Crow Wing CSAH 16, including a bypass of Pequot Lakes and a diamond interchange with roundabouts at Crow Wing CSAH 11.
I-694 between Arden Hills and Shoreview - This project reconstructed I-694 and added a 3rd lane in each direction between Lexington Ave and Rice St.  It also fully opened the NB 35E to WB 694 ramp to 2 lanes.  The only remaining 4 lane (2 per direction) segments on the 494/694 loop now are both on I-694:  between I-35W and US 10 West and from US 61 to I-94/494....approximately 11.5 miles out of 73 total.

froggie

Ongoing 2018 construction (carried over from previous years):

MN 1/MN 169 near Eagles Nest Lake - This project will fully reconstruct MN 1/169 in the Eagles Nest Lake area between Tower and Ely, with about half of it on new alignment south of the existing alignment.
US 2 over the Red River in East Grand Forks - Ongoing bridge rehab, including a complete replacement of the bridge deck and one bridge pier (Pier 6 at the west end of the truss).  MnDOT and NDDOT opted to go this route last year instead of building a brand new bridge.  Traffic will be using the completed southern half of the bridge this year as work continues on the northern half.  The final configuration will see the median removed and the former narrow (2.5ft) sidewalks on each side replaced by a combined bike/ped path on the north side of the bridge, separated from vehicle traffic by a concrete barrier.
MN 4/MN 30 in St. James - Reconstruction of MN 4/MN 30 through St. James continues and should wrap up this year.  The project includes two mini-roundabouts in downtown St. James.
MN 5 at Orchard Rd in Waconia - I missed this one last year because it's a county project, but it began last year and involves a relocation of Carver CSAH 10 to meet MN 5 at Orchard Rd on the west side of Waconia.  I'm including it here because the project includes a roundabout on MN 5 where it will meet Orchard Rd/relocated CSAH 10.
I-35W in south Minneapolis - This massive, 5-year project will reconstruct I-35W between 42nd St and I-94, replacing several bridges and with several reconfigurations.  The MnPASS lanes on I-35W will be extended on both sides to 26th St (the existing northbound dynamic shoulder would become a full MnPASS lane).  A median transit station will be built at Lake St.  Two new ramps are added:  a northbound off-ramp to 28th St, and a southbound off-ramp to Lake St.  The flyover from northbound 35W to westbound 94 will be relocated to enter westbound 94 on the left instead of on the right (most ramp traffic stays on 94, and so it'll reduce the weave situation between 35W and Hennepin/Lyndale).  The existing 35W flyover near 24th will be replaced with a fy-under north of Franklin, with southbound 35W merging on the right instead of on the left.  Finally, the ramp from westbound 94 to southbound 35W will have its auxiliary lane extended to be come the exit-only lane to the new southbound ramp to Lake St.
I-35W at County Road I in Arden Hills - This county-led project, parts of which have been finished, will permanently remove the on-ramp to northbound I-35W from County Road I, construct a roundabout where the northbound 35W off-ramp meets County I and Rice Creek Pkwy, and build a frontage road along I-35W between County I and County Road H.
MN 43 Winona Bridge - After taking a pause due to a significant cost increase, rehabilitation of the existing Winona Bridge is back underway and is expected to take through the end of 2019.  The new bridge (future southbound lanes) is open and currently running two-way traffic.
MN 60 between Windom and Mountain Lake - The last needed segment in a larger 4-lane corridor from the Twin Cities to Sioux City, IA, this project will widen MN 60 to 4-lanes between Windom and Mountain Lake.  It is expected to wrap up this fall.
US 63 over the Mississippi River in Red Wing - The US 63 bridges over US 61 and the Mississippi River are being replaced.  The bridges will be 2-lane spans for now, but with a design that would allow for 4 lanes in the future.  US 63 will also be relocated out of downtown Red Wing, meeting US 61 directly just east of the overpass.  The project will extend through August, 2020.
MN 149 over the Mississippi River in St. Paul - Redecking of the Smith Ave "High Bridge" continues, with the bridge closed to traffic this year.  The project should wrap up by the end of 2018.
US 169 east of Bovey - This one should wrap up in June.  It's extending the 4-lane section of US 169 on the Iron Range another 1.5 miles, from the Bovey bypass to just east of Itasca CSAH 7.
I-494 at Hennepin CSAH 28 in Bloomington - When I-494 was reconstructed 15 years ago, the then-half-diamond at Bush Lake Rd (CSAH 28) was partially upgraded, becoming a 3/4 interchange and lacking a westbound on-ramp due to the proximity of the Dan Patch Line railroad immediately west of Bush Lake Rd.  A city-led project this year will finally build a westbound on-ramp at the interchange.  The ramp will split from the eastbound on-ramp, then loop to the left over 494 before merging westbound.  Construction actually began last fall and will be completed this year.

froggie

New construction for 2018:

MN 3 at Dakota CSAH 26 in Inver Grove Heights - Dakota County is leading a project to replace this intersection with a roundabout.
MN 4 at Brown CSAH 29 north of Sleepy Eye - MnDOT will build a roundabout this year.
US 10 at Sherburne CSAH 23 in Becker - As part of a larger project that will reconstruct eastbound US 10 between Clear Lake and Big Lake, the US 10/CSAH 23 intersection in Becker will be converted into a Reduced-Conflict Intersection (RCI).
US 10 in Arden Hills - This will add a 3rd auxiliary lane along eastbound US 10 between I-35W and the exit to CSAH 96.  The project includes widening the SB off-ramp from I-35W to EB US 10 to 2 lanes.
US 12 near Willmar - Officially a rail project named the "Willmar Wye", this project will build a rail shortcut on the west side of Willmar and provide a direct connection between the BNSF Morris and Marshall Subdivisions, reducing rail traffic (and crossing delays) in downtown Willmar.  The wye will be parallel to and approximately 500ft east of CSAH 55 (45th St SW/NW).  As part of the Wye project, US 12 will be relocated south of its existing location (to approximately the equivalent of "4th Ave SW") from near 7th Ave NW (west of CSAH 55) to 28th St SW.  The relocated US 12 will be bridged over the rail wye, as will MN 40.  The project is expected to be completed in 2021.
US 14/MN 15 in New Ulm - Though I included this in last year's "new construction", the project itself didn't get underway until December and the construction finally begins this spring.  Called the "New Ulm Gateway Project", the project involves several items.  It will raise US 14 and MN 15 out of the 100 year floodplain.  It will replace the existing bridges over the Minnesota River and Front St/UP RR with 2-lane structures that can be expanded to 4 lanes in the future.  7th N St will be reconstructed as a 2-lane divided section with left turn lanes between N Broadway (MN 15/68) and the Front St bridge.  The folded-diamond interchange at Front St will be replaced with a one-quadrant access road with a roundabout on US 14/MN 15.  The US 14/MN 15/CSAH 21 junction will be replaced with a diamond interchange along MN 15 with dumbbells at the ramp junctions.  A free-right will be provided for eastbound US 14 through traffic to avoid the dumbbell and the intersection at CSAH 21 South.
MN 22 at Blue Earth CSAH 90 south of Mankato - As part of a larger reconstruction project between Mapleton and Mankato, MnDOT will build a roundabout at this intersection this year.
MN 23 in Marshall - Two intersections along MN 23 in Marshall will be converted into Reduced Conflict Intersections.
MN 28 in Glenwood - MN 28 through Glenwood will be fully reconstructed, including a 4-to-3 road diet in the Glenwood core and an upgraded traffic signal at the 28/29/104 intersection.
I-35 at MN 33 in Cloquet - The current I-35/MN 33 interchange is an odd configuration, with the ramps favoring traffic to/from I-35 South and the ramps to/from 35 North almost as an afterthought.  The result has been an intersection with several crashes and a poor safety record.  This project will replace the ramp intersection with a roundabout, which will improve safety.  The roundabout will retain the existing "free right" from the southbound 35 off-ramp to northbound 33.
I-35W over the Minnesota River - Moved up to this year from 2020, this project will replace the I-35W bridges over the Minnesota River and West 106th St as well as reconstruct I-35W between West 106th and Cliff Rd.  The project will separate northbound and southbound onto separate bridges over the river (shifted slightly east compared to the existing bridge) and add a bike/ped path to the northbound bridge.  The interchange at Black Dog Rd will remain and be reconstructed.  The new bridge will carry 8 lanes (6 through lanes plus 2 MnPASS lanes).  Expected completion is late 2021.
MN 41 in Chaska - Carver County is leading a project to widen MN 41 to 4 lanes from US 212 north to CSAH 14.
MN 42 at Olmsted CSAH 9 near Eyota - I could not find a project website on this, but did found several references.  MnDOT will build a roundabout at this intersection this year.
MN 65 between Blaine and East Bethel - This project will convert several intersections along MN 65 into Reduced-Conflict Intersections (or J-turns).  In particular, the intersection at Viking Blvd/CSAH 22 will become a signalized RCI...the first in the state.
MN 72 at the Rainy River in Baudette - This project will replace the International bridge connecting MN 72 to ON 11 with a new bridge just upstream (southeast) of the existing bridge.
MN 95 at 21st Ave N in Princeton (west of US 169) - This project will build a roundabout at the intersection.
US 169 at MN 41/CSAH 78 and at Scott CSAH 14 - This is a county-led (and primarily funded) project to add an interchange on US 169 at MN 41/CSAH 78 and an overpass in the vicinity of CSAH 14.  Combined with construction of planned frontage roads and adjacent access closures, this will bring the freeway section on US 169 south to 133rd St W (but not all the way to CSAH 14), where the intersection will be converted to RIRO on each side.  The interchange at MN 41/CSAH 78 is planned to be a diverging diamond.  At CSAH 14, an overpass over US 169 will be built just north of CSAH 14, with the existing intersection converted into a pair of Right-In/Right-Outs (RIRO).  Construction is expected to run through 2020.
US 169 in Champlin - This project will replace the bridges over Elm Creek, realign US 169 at West River Rd to smooth the curve (and eliminate what is effectively a TOTSO), and convert the West River Rd and Dean Ave intersections into a single, traditional 4-way intersection.  The intersection at Dowlin St will also be removed.
I-494 in South St. Paul - As part of a pavement/bridge repair project, MnDOT will add an auxiliary lane on westbound I-494 between Hardeman Ave and 7th Ave.  What this means in layman's terms is 4 lanes westbound from US 10/61 to US 52.  The project will run through 2019.

froggie

Lastly, here are some upcoming/future projects (including some unfunded projects):

US 10 in Wadena - Planned for 2019, this project will reconstruct an 8-block leg of US 10 through Wadena.  The reconstruction will accommodate a future potential 4-lane cross-section for US 10 by building the shoulders wide enough to be restriped as travel lanes.
MN 13 at Scott CSAH 21 in Prior Lake - A joint MnDOT/Scott County project will build a multilane roundabout at this busy intersection in 2019.
US 14 between Owatonna and Dodge Center - This long-standing project is currently unfunded, but would fill the last gap in a 4-lane US 14 between Mankato and Rochester.  The approved plan is for a freeway-grade facility being located parallel and just south of the DM&E tracks.  The Steele CSAH 43 intersection would be upgraded to an interchange, and new interchanges would be built at Dodge CSAH 3 and a relocated MN 56 (that would also tie into CSAH 5).
MN 23 between New London and Paynesville and between Paynesville and Richmond - MnDOT has preliminary designs to widen these two segment of MN 23 to 4 lanes, which would complete a 4-lane corridor between Willmar and St. Cloud.  Both segments are currently unfunded, though.
MN 29/MN 55 near Glenwood - Not currently funded, the plan is to replace the existing at-grade intersection with a bridge on MN 29 over both MN 55 and the adjacent Canadian Pacific tracks.  An improved 160th St would make the connection between the two routes.
I-35/I-535/US 53 in Duluth - This project would fully reconstruct the I-35/I-535/US 53 "Can of Worms" interchange in Duluth, which has several deficient bridges.  The design would change a bit as well.  Full freeway-to-freeway movements are retained between I-35 and I-535, with both left exits being eliminated from I-35 and replaced with right-side exits.  Ramps connecting to/from US 53 will be relocated somewhat to reduce the amount of bridges, but a traffic signal would remain where the northbound 35 ramp to US 53 intersects southbound 53...this signal, however, would not be on top of I-35 but instead where a "more typical" northbound off-ramp would be located.  The project will also reconfigure the I-535/Garfield Ave interchange (design TBD) and will also reconstruct the US 53 bridges to the northwest of the Can of Worms...possibly to include some earthen fill in between city blocks to reduce the length of bridge.  It appears that MnDOT has finally lined up some funding...construction is expected to start in 2019 but will take 4 years.
I-35W/I-494 in Bloomington - Arguably the most congested interchange in the state, reconstructing the 35W/494 interchange is seen as a high priority but an expensive endeavor.  A turbine-style interchange (except retaining a loop ramp for SB 35W to EB 494) is favored.  Officials are trying to find funding to build the first phase of the project, which would add a 2-lane turbine ramp for NB 35W to WB 494 traffic.  I've seen the cost estimate for that range anywhere from $35 million to $85 million.
MN 36 in North St. Paul - As part of the vision to complete a MN 36 freeway between I-35W and I-694, the last two at-grade intersections (at Century Ave/MN 120 and Hadley Ave) would be converted to interchanges.  The Hadley interchange is fully funded for 2019 construction and will be a folded-diamond to the west with roundabouts at the ramp terminals.  The Century/120 interchange is still unfunded but will likely be some sort of tight diamond interchange.
US 71 at Hubbard CSAH 15 in Park Rapids - Now bumped to 2019, this project will rebuild the intersection as a roundabout.
US 169 at 101st Ave N in Brooklyn Park - A project tentatively scheduled for 2020 would build an interchange here, extending the freeway section on US 169 further north (to 109th Ave N).  The preliminary interchange design is for a folded-diamond to the north.
I-694 at Ramsey CSAH 49/Rice St - Reconstruction and upgrading of this interchange has been a high priority for Ramsey County for years, but has been stymied until recently.  It has also gone through several designs.  The current design, now expected to begin construction in 2019, is for a modified SPUI similar to what was recently built at MN 36/Rice St, except with a roundabout where the ramps meet Rice St.

texaskdog

Why does US 53 need much of an interchange at all with 35?  I would think a more basic interchange would be sufficient.

froggie

Because it meets 35 directly at 535 and is technically freeway (disregarding the existing signal at the ramps) for the first mile or so up the bluff.

Papa Emeritus

Quote from: froggie on April 09, 2018, 09:53:34 AM
New construction for 2018:

Thank you for your excellent information, Froggie.

I have two "newbie" questions - please bear with me:

1. It seems like every couple of years, MnDoT builds a new interchange, extending the freeway portion of 169 two or three miles closer to Mankato. Are there any plans to make 169 a freeway all the way to Mankato?

2. Has any serious consideration been given to making US-52 a freeway all the way to Rochester?

I know MnDoT doesn't have the funds for these projects, but how likely would they be if the legislature and governor finally raised the gas tax enough to give MnDoT the money it needed?

triplemultiplex

I would say 'yes' to both questions with the caveat that it's not an aggressive plan to fully convert either route to full freeway access control.  They are upgrading "as needed".  And I see some recent interchanges have cheaped out with some 'jughandle' ramp designs.
US 169 through St Peter is presents an especially large challenge for developing that corridor.  There's topography, wetlands, a large river and city parks in the way of any potential option.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

MNHighwayMan

The only way I think we'd ever get a full US-169 freeway from the Twin Cities to Mankato would be by bypassing St. Peter to the west. However, I dunno how feasible that is environmentally/topographically, not to mention such a project would probably be quite expensive.

Thus, I doubt it's happening any time soon.

froggie

1)  No.  It would be desirable in some circles, but would be extremely difficult to do in the river bottoms south of Le Sueur.  Getting a freeway through or around St. Peter would also be very difficult.

There's a general plan/goal to extend the freeway to Belle Plaine, but that's largely locally driven.

2)  Yes.  This has been a stated long-term goal of both MnDOT and most of the local jurisdictions.  It also has the highest traffic volumes of any of MnDOT's non-Metro/non-Interstate corridors (only I-94 to St. Cloud has higher volumes outside the Metro).

Depending on how much the legislature raised the gas tax (or license tabs or the motor vehicle sales tax), you might see an additional interchange project or three.  But I would hazard a bet that you'd see a lot more pavement and bridge projects instead, especially if it was a small tax increase as system preservation tends to be MnDOT's highest priority and is also underfunded.

Papa Emeritus

Quote from: froggie on April 12, 2018, 09:50:52 AM
2)  Yes.  This has been a stated long-term goal of both MnDOT and most of the local jurisdictions.  It also has the highest traffic volumes of any of MnDOT's non-Metro/non-Interstate corridors (only I-94 to St. Cloud has higher volumes outside the Metro).

How much work needs to be done to finish this project? Are we just a couple of interchanges away, or is there still a lot of work left?

Again, thanks to all of you who answered my previous posting.

MNHighwayMan

Quite a lot. Most major junctions have been grade separated and turned into interchanges, but there's still quite a few crossings and RIRO-type intersections with minor side roads and driveways. There is also an at-grade railroad crossing north of Cannon Falls that would need addressing.

froggie

To summarize, here is what would be needed for US 52 from north to south:

- Addressing a southbound RIRO at Inver Grove Trail (south of Dakota CSAH 56)
- 16 miles from MN 55 East to Dakota CSAH 86, including an interchange at Dakota CSAH 66
- The above-mentioned railroad crossing near Cannon Falls as well as a farm field access not far north of that rail crossing.
- 16 miles from south of Cannon Falls to Zumbrota, including interchanges at MN 57 and Goodhue CSAH 7 and addressing the very substandard ramps at the Goodhue CSAH 9 interchange
- 7 miles from MN 58 to the Goodhue/Olmsted County line
- Addressing the I-90 interchange

With all of that, you would have a full US 52 freeway from I-94 to I-90.  There may be additional interchanges considered in addition to the three I mentioned above.

Bickendan

Are there any plans to upgrade US 63 between I-90 and US 52?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.