News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

California

Started by andy3175, July 20, 2016, 12:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exit58

CalTrans just put up new entrance assemblies on the 57 South at Lambert Rd in Brea. IIRC, the shield is above the directional banner. Has anyone checked the assemblies on the 215 portion of the San Bernardino Fwy? I didn't really check going through there the last couple days, but I'm willing to bet it's swapped. Sections of the 101 in Ventura County too I believe.

myosh_tino

Quote from: coatimundi on September 22, 2016, 05:22:48 AM
Walking back to the hotel in Downtown Fresno this evening and spotted this gem. Obviously city maintained. If I'm not mistaken, we have:
- Wrong size
- Wrong font
- Wrong placement of "California"

https://flic.kr/p/LwkP5A

Wrong font?  Maybe the "99" which appears to be Series C but not the "41" which uses Series D.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

silverback1065

Are there plans to fill in the many freeway quality gaps of us 101 between San Francisco and LA and make it a complete freeway between the 2 cities?

Nexus 9

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 22, 2016, 07:47:09 PM
Are there plans to fill in the many freeway quality gaps of us 101 between San Francisco and LA and make it a complete freeway between the 2 cities?

Nexus 9

Not at this time.

The gap at La Conchita was redesigned within the last decade to enhance safety, but the decision to not have a grade separation as part of those upgrades was made.  I can't see that decision revisited any time soon unless the traffic backup during the morning commute to Santa Barbara gets bad enough to start impacting the beneficial effect of those recent changes.

There are likely lots of CEQA and Coastal Commission issues that would have to be addressed to upgrade the portion of 101 between Goleta and Gaviota Pass, and I don't think the money or political will is there to fight for such changes if there isn't a corresponding need for it based on traffic along that section of 101.  And even if that section of 101 started having traffic issues, remember that 154 is always available as an alternate route, and its availability would likely further delay major costly upgrades to 101.

Between Gaviota Pass and Santa Maria, you'd have to determine how many local landowners (ranches, farms, and vineyards) who have easement access directly from the highway would be impacted before you could determine the likelihood of an upgrade.  Same thing for the sections in San Luis Obispo and Monterey Counties.

I could see some of the section between Gilroy and Salinas being upgraded because of the increasing traffic on that section.  However, nothing appears to be programmed right now.

sdmichael

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on September 22, 2016, 08:19:24 PMI could see some of the section between Gilroy and Salinas being upgraded because of the increasing traffic on that section.  However, nothing appears to be programmed right now.

Actually, there have been many upgrades and grade crossing eliminations between State 156 and Salinas. At this time, there may not even be any remaining grade crossings. Only the section between State 25 and Gilroy really need any sort of upgrade.

coatimundi

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on September 22, 2016, 08:19:24 PM
Between Gaviota Pass and Santa Maria, you'd have to determine how many local landowners (ranches, farms, and vineyards) who have easement access directly from the highway would be impacted before you could determine the likelihood of an upgrade.  Same thing for the sections in San Luis Obispo and Monterey Counties.

There is a proposed (and I believe designed) interchange at Wellsona Road in northern Paso. However it's not funded.

The Monterey County section would certainly fall into the landowners issue with all the farm side roads. I would guess there would push back on putting in frontage roads, and even more push back on closing some of them off.

coatimundi

Quote from: sdmichael on September 22, 2016, 09:02:26 PM
Quote from: Occidental Tourist on September 22, 2016, 08:19:24 PMI could see some of the section between Gilroy and Salinas being upgraded because of the increasing traffic on that section.  However, nothing appears to be programmed right now.

Actually, there have been many upgrades and grade crossing eliminations between State 156 and Salinas. At this time, there may not even be any remaining grade crossings. Only the section between State 25 and Gilroy really need any sort of upgrade.

The section between Salinas and 156 east has a grade crossing at Rocks Road, just before 156. There are also a couple of grade intersections without crossovers in Prunedale. But these are all very minor roads, and the last major crossover, at Dunbarton Road, was removed only a few months ago. The Cole Road crossover was blocked off at about that time also, but that was a lot less disruptive.

The section north of 129 seems to be mired in a funding jurisdictional hole. VTA wants to widen and improve it but has no money. Caltrans will pledge nothing. It's bad too: the railroad o/c and the Pajaro River bridges have terrible concrete separation, and the guardrail on the former looks like it's been hit at least 20 times.

djsekani

Quote from: Exit58 on September 22, 2016, 01:08:19 PM
CalTrans just put up new entrance assemblies on the 57 South at Lambert Rd in Brea. IIRC, the shield is above the directional banner. Has anyone checked the assemblies on the 215 portion of the San Bernardino Fwy? I didn't really check going through there the last couple days, but I'm willing to bet it's swapped. Sections of the 101 in Ventura County too I believe.

There's a mix of both on the 215 if memory serves correctly. I'll check again this Sunday to be sure.

AsphaltPlanet

I shot some video of California's freeways on my last visit there in the spring:

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

andy3175

As mentioned elsewhere, it looks like California SR 187 will not be around too much longer...

http://lawestmedia.com/lawest/caltrans-give-control-venice-boulevard-city-l/

QuoteOne of the last surface streets in Los Angeles that is part of the state highway system will be turned over to the City of Los Angeles, the state said last week.

Venice Boulevard between the Santa Monica (10) Freeway and Lincoln Boulevard is actually little-known California 187, and under control of Caltrans.

The California Transportation Commission has approved "relinquishing"  the highway – turning it over to the City of Los Angeles. L.A. will now be in charge of maintenance, traffic signals and other operations.

The city will be paid a one-time fee of $14.5 million, which the commission determined was "in the best interests of the state,"  according to an agenda item.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

Wildlife tunnel proposed for SR 17 ...

http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/10/20/caltrans-commits-3-1-million-to-build-wildlife-tunnel-under-highway-17/

QuoteCaltrans has agreed to spend $3.1 million to help build a tunnel under Highway 17 in Santa Cruz County, a project expected to make the busy route safer for both wildlife and humans.

The state's commitment, announced on Thursday by its governing board, means that the design work at the site, called Laurel Curve, could begin in a few months.

More than 350 animals of 82 different species, including 13 pumas, have been hit on Highway 17 in the last eight years, according to CalTrans data.  Collisions are a risk to people, as well.

If additional funding is secured through Measure D, a half-cent sales tax for transportation projects in Santa Cruz County on the Nov. 8 ballot, the tunnel could be built by 2020. ...

Laurel Curve region is a route for animals because it holds the largest undeveloped parcels along Highway 17. The route follows two major drainage basins. One, on the east, leads to a branch of Soquel Creek and the protected Forest of Nisene Marks State Park. The other, on the west, leads to Bean Creek and the San Lorenzo River, then the sea.

A second tunnel under Highway 17 is planned near Lexington Reservoir in Santa Clara County. Caltrans does not have funds to help at this site, but it supports its installation and is working closely to help tunnel proponents Pathways for Wildlife, MidPeninsula Open Space District and Peninsula Open Space Trust, according to Tanya Diamond of Pathways for Wildlife. ...

The Laurel Curve tunnel will be about 120 feet long. Fencing is also required, to funnel wildlife into safe passage.

The tunnel will cost $8 to $12 million to build. If Measure D passes, $5 million will be contributed to construction of the tunnel.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

coatimundi

CaHighwayGuy mentioned the wildlife tunnel in his most recent update. Measure D did pass so, among many other things, it will be at least partially funded. I'm looking forward to seeing some designs.
If I'm not mistaken, this will be Northern California's first wildlife crossing. There are several in Southern California and in Arizona.

emory

Here's a question.

If and when California petitions AASHTO to move Interstate 210 onto SR 210, will the interstate standard segment of CA 57 disappear? Or will they have to re-define it? If that's the case, we'll probably have another I-305 on our hands unless the state legislature wants to create a Route 410/610/810 and sign it.

coatimundi

57 is already signed as such between I-10 and I-210. The signs on I-10 say "To I-210" at the 57 interchange, and will probably continue to say so when SR 210 is renumbered to the interstate.

emory

Quote from: coatimundi on November 10, 2016, 08:41:00 PM
57 is already signed as such between I-10 and I-210. The signs on I-10 say "To I-210" at the 57 interchange, and will probably continue to say so when SR 210 is renumbered to the interstate.

It's signed as CA 57 between those two points. My question was about federal definition since that portion of CA 57 is part of the Interstate Highway System. AASHTO isn't going allow two I-210s.

AndyMax25

Quote from: andy3175 on November 10, 2016, 12:04:18 AM
As mentioned elsewhere, it looks like California SR 187 will not be around too much longer...

QuoteOne of the last surface streets in Los Angeles that is part of the state highway system will be turned over to the City of Los Angeles, the state said last week.

Venice Boulevard between the Santa Monica (10) Freeway and Lincoln Boulevard is actually little-known California 187, and under control of Caltrans.

The California Transportation Commission has approved "relinquishing"  the highway – turning it over to the City of Los Angeles. L.A. will now be in charge of maintenance, traffic signals and other operations.

The city will be paid a one-time fee of $14.5 million, which the commission determined was "in the best interests of the state,"  according to an agenda item.

So silly, it took Caltrans forever to re-post Venice Blvd with 187 shield. Just completed within the last 2 years. They even put overlays at the I-10 westbound off-ramp. Now they have to come down. 

emory

Neighboring SR 1 is also due to be turned over to Los Angeles, from the Santa Monica city limits to I-105.

emory

So what surface streets does Caltrans still control in Los Angeles? There's SR 1 on Sepulveda Blvd and the PCH, SR 2 on Santa Monica Blvd/Alvarado Street/Glendale Blvd, SR 213 on Western Ave somehow still exists, SR 27 on Topanga Canyon Blvd. I think that's it.

TheStranger

Quote from: emory on November 12, 2016, 09:55:33 AM
So what surface streets does Caltrans still control in Los Angeles? There's SR 1 on Sepulveda Blvd and the PCH, SR 2 on Santa Monica Blvd/Alvarado Street/Glendale Blvd, SR 213 on Western Ave somehow still exists, SR 27 on Topanga Canyon Blvd. I think that's it.

Route 187 along Venice Boulevard (for now).  Route 90 for the first block or so east of Route 1.  Route 47 from Route 103 north to about Sepulveda Boulevard (the portion north up to Route 91 isn't in city limits).  Could technically argue that Route 91 between Vermont Avenue and the Harbor Freeway/I-110 fits this, but barely.

Route 170 on Highland was recently decommissioned, right?

Chris Sampang

silverback1065

Quote from: emory on November 12, 2016, 01:19:20 AM

Neighboring SR 1 is also due to be turned over to Los Angeles, from the Santa Monica city limits to I-105.

they're seriously giving away even the airport portion of 1 too?  I feel like of all highways in california, 1 should never be decommissioned in any form.  i hope they sign it still, it's so historic.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 12, 2016, 11:42:01 AM

they're seriously giving away even the airport portion of 1 too?  I feel like of all highways in california, 1 should never be decommissioned in any form.  i hope they sign it still, it's so historic.

I was under the impression that the signage on 1 had been staying up with previously relinquished portions around L.A. and Long Beach?  If that's the case, good for Caltrans if they can get a local body to maintain the roadways...I'm all good with that provided there isn't a signage gap.

coatimundi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 12, 2016, 04:41:30 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on November 12, 2016, 11:42:01 AM

I was under the impression that the signage on 1 had been staying up with previously relinquished portions around L.A. and Long Beach?  If that's the case, good for Caltrans if they can get a local body to maintain the roadways...I'm all good with that provided there isn't a signage gap.

I was on the relinquished Santa Monica section a few weeks ago, and the signs are definitely still up, though it's not what I would call "well-signed".
So many tourists want to "drive Highway 1" that they really need to keep signage up through Santa Monica and around LAX. Particularly the BGS at the Lincoln/Sepulveda split.

Since SR 47 has a traffic signal at Ness Avenue, you could (well, I am) make the point that that's a - albeit very brief - surface street.

NE2

Is SR 47 actually state maintained north of SR 103? It's not in the truck route list (and for that matter, neither is the part with the signal at Ness Avenue).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: AndyMax25 on November 11, 2016, 11:57:32 PM
So silly, it took Caltrans forever to re-post Venice Blvd with 187 shield. Just completed within the last 2 years. They even put overlays at the I-10 westbound off-ramp. Now they have to come down. 

As I continue to note the freshly-posted CA-42 sheld on the Long Beach Freeway on days I come back from court, I would bet you a good deal of money that those CA-187 shields are not coming down after relinquishment is official.

coatimundi

Quote from: NE2 on November 12, 2016, 10:39:58 PM
Is SR 47 actually state maintained north of SR 103? It's not in the truck route list (and for that matter, neither is the part with the signal at Ness Avenue).

I dont know why I wrote Ness. I meant Navy Way. That's the traffic light before the Thomas Bridge on 47.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.