News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

California

Started by andy3175, July 20, 2016, 12:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

Quote from: coatimundi on November 13, 2016, 01:53:26 PM
Quote from: NE2 on November 12, 2016, 10:39:58 PM
Is SR 47 actually state maintained north of SR 103? It's not in the truck route list (and for that matter, neither is the part with the signal at Ness Avenue).

I dont know why I wrote Ness. I meant Navy Way. That's the traffic light before the Thomas Bridge on 47.

I just went by what you said - the part just east of the Thomas Bridge is not listed as a state highway in the truck route list.

47   7   LA   R   0.000   E      2.302   2.010         TA      Jct 110   Begin Unconstructed - Seaside Ave.
47   7   LA      3.497         4.565   1.068         TA      End Unconstructed - Terminal Island Fwy   Jct Rte 103
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

coatimundi

Quote from: NE2 on November 13, 2016, 02:50:02 PM
Quote from: coatimundi on November 13, 2016, 01:53:26 PM
Quote from: NE2 on November 12, 2016, 10:39:58 PM
Is SR 47 actually state maintained north of SR 103? It's not in the truck route list (and for that matter, neither is the part with the signal at Ness Avenue).

I dont know why I wrote Ness. I meant Navy Way. That's the traffic light before the Thomas Bridge on 47.

I just went by what you said - the part just east of the Thomas Bridge is not listed as a state highway in the truck route list.

47   7   LA   R   0.000   E      2.302   2.010         TA      Jct 110   Begin Unconstructed - Seaside Ave.
47   7   LA      3.497         4.565   1.068         TA      End Unconstructed - Terminal Island Fwy   Jct Rte 103

I mean, that's where the freeway ends, yes. It's the start of (one of) the unconstructed freeway section. The Navy Way bridge is in the District 7 bridge log though. So I would assume it's still state-maintained.

NE2

Quote from: coatimundi on November 13, 2016, 08:44:43 PM
The Navy Way bridge is in the District 7 bridge log though. So I would assume it's still state-maintained.
Where? I can't find the following bridges on (signed) SR 47:
*SR 47 over railroads and Navy Way ramp
*SR 47 over railroads east of Navy Way
*I-710 over SR 47
*I-710 Desmond Bridge
*anything on SR 47 north of SR 103

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/structur/strmaint/brlog/logpdf/logd07.pdf

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

coatimundi

Quote from: NE2 on November 13, 2016, 10:13:55 PM
Quote from: coatimundi on November 13, 2016, 08:44:43 PM
The Navy Way bridge is in the District 7 bridge log though. So I would assume it's still state-maintained.
Where? I can't find the following bridges on (signed) SR 47:
*SR 47 over railroads and Navy Way ramp
*SR 47 over railroads east of Navy Way
*I-710 over SR 47
*I-710 Desmond Bridge
*anything on SR 47 north of SR 103

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/structur/strmaint/brlog/logpdf/logd07.pdf

Search "Navy Way" within the doc. It's in the index.

NE2

Quote from: coatimundi on November 14, 2016, 12:18:40 AM
Strange. I wonder why it's not in the main list...perhaps it was once state maintained but no longer is? Did the city take it over and build the flyover where SR 47 turns? Or maybe it was built by the city but will be taken over by the state when work is done?

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist07/divisions/planning/cm/SIGNEDTCR47.pdf
"The segment of Seaside Street PM 2.302 to PM 3.423 is unconstructed and is not part of the State Route 47, however, it will be part of Rte 47 when the Gerald Desmond Bridge (GDB) replacement is complete.  The GDB replacement is anticipated be complete in 2018"

As of 2002 it was not state maintained: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/tsip/hseb/products/TravHwy02.pdf
7-LA-47 From Vincent Thomas Bridge to Route 103 1.2
When this segment is improved, it will be considered for assumption of maintenance.

silverback1065

why wasn't the freeway portion of CA 160 connected to I-5? it seems weird to have it just dump traffic onto city streets like that.  Also, is the gap through downtown still signed at all?  I thought you had to maintain signage when the state gives the road away.

TheStranger

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 14, 2016, 11:36:03 AM
why wasn't the freeway portion of CA 160 connected to I-5? it seems weird to have it just dump traffic onto city streets like that.  Also, is the gap through downtown still signed at all?  I thought you had to maintain signage when the state gives the road away.

Route 160 freeway (North Sacramento Freeway) predates I-5 by about 22-23 years, it was originally constructed as US 40 and US 99E (later just US 40).

160 itself in its original 1964-mid 2000s configuration is a hodgepodge of three pre-1964 routes:

- Route 4 in Antioch to Broadway in midtown Sacramento: former Route 24
- Broadway to Arden Way/Business 80: US 40
- N Street to Arden Way/Business 80: was US 99E until ca. 1959

There has never been any intention for the North Sacramento Freeway to connect on its west end in Alkali Flat to the rest of the freeway network, primarily serving as a spur for traffic heading downtown/midtown from Arden or Roseville or Citrus Heights.

And Route 160 signage was removed rather quickly between Freeport and Alkali Flat in the mid-2000s - no evidence of it now.  An older overhead sign pointing to Reno and San Francisco destinations at 16th and P (dating to when US 40 temporarily used P and Q Streets in the mid-1960s) remained until a year or two ago.
Chris Sampang

emory

Quote from: TheStranger on November 12, 2016, 11:12:30 AM
Route 170 on Highland was recently decommissioned, right?

Highland is off the books. In addition the legislature also deleted the unconstructed segment near LAX. Here's the new definition:

Route 170 is from Route 101 near Riverside Drive to Route 5 near Tujunga Wash.

coatimundi

Quote from: NE2 on November 14, 2016, 01:25:09 AM
Strange. I wonder why it's not in the main list...perhaps it was once state maintained but no longer is? Did the city take it over and build the flyover where SR 47 turns? Or maybe it was built by the city but will be taken over by the state when work is done?

I would guess so. The sign is still up and is quite prominent (you can see it clearly on GSV, at the northern part of the intersection). I noticed it when I was through there a few weeks ago.

Quote from: emory on November 16, 2016, 01:38:43 PM

Highland is off the books. In addition the legislature also deleted the unconstructed segment near LAX. Here's the new definition:

I could absolutely be wrong, but I recall 170 being signed on Highland somewhere in 2003 or so. About how long ago were the signs removed? And was it ever signed on the 101 offramp?

TheStranger

Quote from: coatimundi on November 16, 2016, 01:50:30 PM

I would guess so. The sign is still up and is quite prominent (you can see it clearly on GSV, at the northern part of the intersection). I noticed it when I was through there a few weeks ago.

I could absolutely be wrong, but I recall 170 being signed on Highland somewhere in 2003 or so. About how long ago were the signs removed? And was it ever signed on the 101 offramp?

170 was not signed from the offramp, but as recently as 2010, it was signed on Highland (sporadically).  When I was in that area in May of this year, I couldn't find any remaining signage for the state route.

Chris Sampang

emory

Quote from: coatimundi on November 16, 2016, 01:50:30 PM

There may still be a 170 shield on the southbound lane near the Hollywood Bowl entrance. That was definitely the last shield.

compdude787

I was looking at Bakersfield on OpenStreetMap and I noticed that a freeway connecting the Westside Parkway with the CA 58/ CA 99 interchange was shown as under construction. Any info on this? Is it actually under construction? I'd be surprised if it even was, since it goes straight through a residential area. The only conceivable way of it being built would be as a tunnel.

Mod Note: Replies to this post were merged to the existing thread, to keep discussion of that topic in one place. See Westside Parkway and Centennial Corridor (CA 58 realignment, Bakersfield)
–Roadfro.

Hiroshi66

Quote from: emory on November 17, 2016, 01:35:27 PM
There may still be a 170 shield on the southbound lane near the Hollywood Bowl entrance. That was definitely the last shield.

Yes, there is. I drive down that stretch of Highland and it was still there as of last month, at least. It's southbound on Highland Avenue right after the Hollywood Bowl entrance. I think it's on the same block as all of the hotels a block or two north of the Franklin Avenue intersection. That's the last CA 170 shield I've seen on Highland.

andy3175

Interstate 5 Stockton North project nears completion with opening of new HOV lane in September ...

http://www.recordnet.com/news/20160921/sjs-first-carpool-lane-opens-on-i-5-through-stockton

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

coatimundi

Quote from: andy3175 on December 03, 2016, 11:38:35 PM
Interstate 5 Stockton North project nears completion with opening of new HOV lane in September ...

http://www.recordnet.com/news/20160921/sjs-first-carpool-lane-opens-on-i-5-through-stockton

I never realized "SJ" was a colloquialism for "San Joaquin". I got really confused by that title at first.

I drove by this over Thanksgiving weekend, and I can just say that it was a tremendous relief to not see intense construction activity on this stretch for once. Though it seems like work is just never done on I-5 in Stockton, so I would expect to see something else within the next year or so.

Mergingtraffic

Any stretches of CA freeways that have no more button copy on them? I hear I-10 is virtually button copy free.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

TheStranger

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on December 05, 2016, 03:07:33 PM
Any stretches of CA freeways that have no more button copy on them? I hear I-10 is virtually button copy free.

The Central Freeway in SF (short segment of US 101) hasn't had a single button copy sign since the mid-2000s if I'm not mistaken.
Chris Sampang

AsphaltPlanet

The Moorpark Freeway (CA-23) in Ventura County doesn't have any button copy either.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

coatimundi

The Sacramento stretch of I-5 appeared to mostly be button-free on my trip up there last week, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn of a remaining sign.

If you're looking for a "most remaining button copy signs," then I would nominate San Jose.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: coatimundi on December 05, 2016, 07:04:10 PM
The Sacramento stretch of I-5 appeared to mostly be button-free on my trip up there last week, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn of a remaining sign.

If you're looking for a "most remaining button copy signs," then I would nominate San Jose.

Bakersfield and the whole 99 corridor has a ton of them left.  Even the surface routes or lesser expressways in San Joaquin Valley have button copy all over the place on guide signs.

coatimundi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2016, 10:08:42 PM

Bakersfield and the whole 99 corridor has a ton of them left.  Even the surface routes or lesser expressways in San Joaquin Valley have button copy all over the place on guide signs.

They'll never be replaced on the Crosstown Expressway. Eventually it will just be buttons, and no copy. I would fathom that some of the signs there are older than me. Eventually, the pavement there will be nominated for historic status. And Stockton will market it in their tourist brochures.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: coatimundi on December 05, 2016, 10:14:01 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2016, 10:08:42 PM

They'll never be replaced on the Crosstown Expressway. Eventually it will just be buttons, and no copy. I would fathom that some of the signs there are older than me. Eventually, the pavement there will be nominated for historic status. And Stockton will market it in their tourist brochures.

I'm usually surprised how reflective most of those signs still are even today.  They really made signage that was built to stand the test of time back thirty years back.  All those reflective paint and button-copy signs are basically bullet proof.....just don't look at them in the day, that's when they look their age. 

AsphaltPlanet

I shot a video of the Antelope Valley Freeway (SR-14) northerly from the Newhall Interchange back in April, 2016.  I just uploaded it with some signs and what not.  This is an awesome freeway through the mountains:

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

sparker

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on December 19, 2016, 09:42:08 PM
I shot a video of the Antelope Valley Freeway (SR-14) northerly from the Newhall Interchange back in April, 2016.  I just uploaded it with some signs and what not.  This is an awesome freeway through the mountains:

Nice video sequence!  When I lived out in Hesperia, I'd come back from the western part of L.A. via this route to avoid traffic on 10 or 210.  If you avoid commute hours, it's a nice drive; you seem to have caught it off-peak.  Question:  was this part of a longer cross-country trip or simply an excursion while visiting the L.A. region? -- and do you have any more video from that trip to share with us?

AsphaltPlanet

I shot this last April, on a trip when I drove up the west coast.  I started in Phoenix, AZ, where I rented a one way car which I dropped off in Portland, OR, twelve days later.

My route involved driving from Phoenix to San Diego along Interstate 8.  I then spent a couple of days touring around San Diego and LA, before heading up to Reno on CA-14 and US-395.  I spent the night outside of Lake Tahoe, and then took 80 across into Sacramento.  From there, I went into San Francisco for part of the day, and then drove up the coast along SR-1 and US-101 all the way to Aberdeen, Washington.  I spent a day and a half in Seattle, and then drove back down to Portland where I spend the day before flying back home later that evening.

So far, I have only uploaded a few videos from that trip.  This was my third upload, which was preceded by videos of I-210 and SR-134 through  suburban LA, and a short freeway tour of Phoenix.  I took quite a few vids though, and plan to be uploading them more frequently in the next few weeks.

I-210 and 134 vid:

Phoenix Freeway tour:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.