News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NV: I-15 North project in Vegas finished early

Started by roadfro, January 27, 2010, 05:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadfro

I-15 project's early end clears way for drivers
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/jan/20/i-15-projects-early-end-clears-way-drivers/

This project was along a 5.5-mile stretch of Interstate 15, between US 95/I-515 (Spaghetti Bowl interchange) in Las Vegas and Craig Road (SR 573) in North Las Vegas. It was substantially completed in December–ahead of schedule and within budget. Originally expected to be completed in fall 2010, the work is finished except for final paving of the open grade asphalt layers which will be done when weather warms up.

This project included mainline widening from 6 to 10 lanes between US 95 and Lake Mead Blvd (SR 147), and widening from 4/5 to 8 lanes between Lake Mead and Craig Road. Also included was a complete rebuild of the Lake Mead Blvd interchange, and new braided ramps between the Spaghetti Bowl and D St/Washington Ave interchanges that eliminated some nasty weaving maneuvers. It was the first major work along this stretch of I-15 in the Las Vegas Valley since initial construction in the mid 1970s.

The I-15 North project was the first time Nevada DOT has used the design-build process. (Their next foray into design-build projects is the I-15 South project, which should be getting underway shortly.)

Unfortunately for the sign buffs, this project eliminated all the older non-reflective dark green signs which dated back to original construction of the freeway.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.