When Using Surface Streets to Connect Freeways > Using Direct Interchanges

Started by nwi_navigator_1181, August 10, 2022, 11:29:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwi_navigator_1181

Has there ever been a situation where it's better to use a surface street to connect between two freeways than using a direct interchange that is nearby? Ultimately, it's likely not the fastest route, but it could be less tense, off the more beaten path, or just cleverness on your part. To avoid clutter, please do not include required detours due to construction.

An example here: drivers heading toward extreme Northwest Indiana or Chicago can skip (and have skipped) the ramp connecting I-65 north and the westbound Indiana Toll Road, instead using westbound US 12/20 and Broadway to make the westbound entrance. It's much quicker to use the interchange, but using the surface streets allows drivers to skip the $1.40 entrance toll in exchange for an extra 10 or so minutes of drive time. Not a lot of drivers use the inverse route, instead opting to head directly to I-65 from the eastbound Toll Road.

Another example: I follow BigRigTravels on YouTube. Recently, he had a run that required him to go from Indianapolis to Sterling, IL. Driving along I-39 northbound near Lasalle-Peru, Steve opted to use Illinois 251 to connect I-39 to I-80 west, when the direct interchange to I-80 was about five miles out. It was probably to his best benefit, since he wasn't up against the clock, and it was likely easier to take Illinois 251 than take the loop ramp at I-80.

Any other examples? Share them here. Thank you for your responses in advance.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

SEWIGuy

When going from US-41 to US-151 in the Fond du Lac area, it is often quicker to take the Military Road (County D) or even the Hickory St. exits instead of going all of the way to the interchange on the south side of town.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7438022,-88.4733437,14z

vdeane

It's not a surface road, but unless one has a Maine E-ZPass (out of state E-ZPass accounts are billed the same as cash users are; in-state accounts get to use the virtual ticket system), this is cheaper than the direct route due to the flat rate toll for exit 44 being both directions rather than entry-only as is typical for the Maine Turnpike.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

One that comes to mind is using PA 93 to connect between I-80 and I-81. It's about the same time-wise but almost half the distance, and avoids a tight loop ramp if you're heading NB>WB.

jp the roadgeek

Before the new left hand 2 lane ramp was built, it was often easier to exit I-91 at Exit 27 (Brainard Rd), take a left and turn around in the gas station, then get back on the same ramp, which takes you to CT 15 North to get to the Charter Oak Bridge and I-84 East. The direct ramp would often be backed for over a mile.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Dirt Roads

Durham, North Carolina is poorly connected north-to-south for many movements between both I-85 and the Durham Freeway.  I often use the Hillandale Road exit (Exit 174B) to connect from I-85 southbound to the Durham Freeway (NC-147) southbound rather than using the next exit (Exit 174A) for the West Durham Expressway (US-15/501 Bypass) to hit the cloverleaf back to the Durham Freeway.  In the past, I would also use the Duke/Gregson pair (US-15/501 Business) or preferably Alston Avenue (NC-55) to connect between the two further east, but I'm suspecting that the new East End Connector (I-885) might now work better for many of those trips.

The same thing could be said connecting from I-40 to the Durham Freeway, but I don't think either US-15/501 or NC-55 qualifies as surface streets for this thread.

Bruce

skluth

Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 10, 2022, 11:41:17 AM
When going from US-41 to US-151 in the Fond du Lac area, it is often quicker to take the Military Road (County D) or even the Hickory St. exits instead of going all of the way to the interchange on the south side of town.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7438022,-88.4733437,14z

There's also WI 26 with the Rosendale speed trap which is the preferred route for many drivers, including me.

TheStranger

Going to the Bay Bridge from the Peninsula, I usually prefer 101-280-6th Street-Bryant Street-80, rather than the direct 101 to 80 route - the Central Freeway/Bayshore Freeway junction is prone to congestion due to ultra-short merging zones that are the result of the interchange and highways being built ca. 1954 in that spot. 

Chris Sampang

davewiecking

When driving eastward on I-82 towards EB I-84, my GPS told me to take US-395 after entering Oregon. I ignored it.

Ted$8roadFan

From my grandmothers house (RIP) from Connecticut to RI, we would connect from the CT-2 freeway East to I-395 north in Norwich through West Town Street, even though a ramp was available from 2 to 395. From I-395 S to CT-2 W, you had to use West Town Street.

doorknob60

Quote from: davewiecking on August 11, 2022, 07:35:40 AM
When driving eastward on I-82 towards EB I-84, my GPS told me to take US-395 after entering Oregon. I ignored it.

Yeah I definitely wouldn't recommend that one even though it's shorter. However, if you're going to WB I-84, using US-730 is a worthwhile option. It's 5 miles shorter and similar time wise. Unlike going through Hermiston, going through Umatilla and Irrigon is easy. In the past going between Richland and most of Oregon, we'd use US-730. These days I just stay on the freeway.

Kinda weird that I-82 kinda splits the difference in a way where it's not the shortest route to either I-84 EB or WB, but ends up "good enough" for both.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.