News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Was TN 27 ever US 41

Started by roadman65, August 10, 2022, 04:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I heard stories in Wiki that SR 27 might of been US 41 at one time carrying the US route from Jasper to Chattanooga.  Is there any truth to this?

Wiki can't be trusted as any troll can change the articles like many do at election time to cause false rumors of a party or specific person, can do it for roads as well. Considering we have many on here who are capable of doing just to be funny, it could be. Not to mention I can't even remember if it was Wiki or another site I went to or even where I saw the article posted.

It does make sense being SR 27 does transit between Jasper and Chattanooga like US 41 and now I-24 that it night of been an older alignment of US 41.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Tom958

Quote from: roadman65 on August 10, 2022, 04:57:14 PM
I heard stories in Wiki that SR 27 might of been US 41 at one time carrying the US route from Jasper to Chattanooga.  Is there any truth to this?

Yes, there is. I'm not enough of a history buff to elaborate, though. Actually, I think there was extensive discussion of the topic in the thread about the new US 41 bridge, which is how I learned about it.

Mapmikey

This is correct....US 41 did follow TN 27 for a few years early on:

http://www.vahighways.com/tn-annex/routes/tn027.htm

Brian556

Quote from: Mapmikey on August 10, 2022, 08:29:32 PM
This is correct....US 41 did follow TN 27 for a few years early on:

http://www.vahighways.com/tn-annex/routes/tn027.htm

Yes. US 41 entered Jasper from the west, heading north on Betsy Pack Dr and continuing north onto Valley View Hwy. It then turned east on what is now SR 283 to Powell's Crossroads and continued east on what is still SR 27 to Chattanooga. (It is worth the north -south section of SR 27 and SR 28 swapped places in the mid 80's.) The likely reason for this odd routing was the lack of a bridge over the TN River east of Jasper. In 1928, the bridge over the TN River was completed, and the US 41 designation was moved to where it remains today. Another issue related to this that I have noticed is that on the map below, as well as several others, the proposed route for SR 2 (which was to become US 41) was shown on a different alignment than what was built. These maps show it taking a more northerly route, likely following East Valley Rd east of Jasper, and staying north of the TN River, until it crossed at a location called Kelly's Ferry, rather than crossing the river at Haletown, like it does today.

Chattanooga Area 1928, on Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.