Regional Boards > Great Lakes and Ohio Valley

Kentucky

<< < (90/93) > >>

ibthebigd:
Yes I've made that drive from Paris to Mt Sterling not fun to North Middletown then it's not bad

SM-G996U

seicer:
//www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_lcGFmpEgM
Spottsville Bridge is a through truss bridge that carries US Route 60 over the Green River in Spottsville, Kentucky. It was originally constructed in 1931 and replaced in 2022. This is a flyover taken just two days before the secondary span was blasted; the main span will be blasted later in October.

➤ Check out our article on this bridge at http://bridgestunnels.com/location/spottsville-bridge/

codyg1985:
I love how Kentucky has been building new through truss bridges to replace older spans. It is much better than the boring typical bridges most DOTs use these days.

Rothman:

--- Quote from: codyg1985 on October 10, 2022, 12:47:03 PM ---I love how Kentucky has been building new through truss bridges to replace older spans. It is much better than the boring typical bridges most DOTs use these days.

--- End quote ---
Wonder if they're forced to through historical preservation.  In NY, that's the only way new trusses are built, I believe.

hbelkins:

--- Quote from: Rothman on October 10, 2022, 11:59:04 PM ---
--- Quote from: codyg1985 on October 10, 2022, 12:47:03 PM ---I love how Kentucky has been building new through truss bridges to replace older spans. It is much better than the boring typical bridges most DOTs use these days.

--- End quote ---
Wonder if they're forced to through historical preservation.  In NY, that's the only way new trusses are built, I believe.

--- End quote ---

I don't know why a new modern-looking truss bridge would be a mollifying factor in tearing down an old truss bridge.

In this instance, I would suspect river navigation might be one reason they opted for a truss. The Green River is fairly wide and is navigable at that point so it's possible that was a factor. The truss allows them to have fewer piers.

A new truss bridge is being built on US 60 across the Cumberland River near its mouth.

The one new truss that I can't understand is the KY 451 Home Lumber Bridge in downtown Hazard. The river is certainly narrow enough there that a truss isn't necessary, but one was built. There may have been local support for a truss since the old bridge there was also a truss.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version