Regional Boards > Great Lakes and Ohio Valley

I-71/I-75 Brent Spence Bridge Replacement

(1/34) > >>

The Great Zo:
The Brent Spence Bridge, which carries I-71 and I-75 over the Ohio River between Cincinnati OH and Covington KY, has long since been declared functionally obsolete. I found this Cincinnati Enquirer Special Report, which I found relevant and insightful, and only after reading half of it did I realize it was published in September 2003! Yes, this is an issue that has been out there for a long time. Plans to develop its replacement/twinning are underway, but with no construction imminently scheduled.

In August, a Finding of No Significant Impact was issued, meaning that an EIS will not be necessary. One thing I find interesting, from a roadgeek-perspective, is that (unless I'm reading the recommended alternative maps wrong) the I-71/I-75 concurrency would no longer exist at all in Ohio. I-71 would cross the river using the Brent Spence Bridge, while I-75 traffic would use the new span.

Funding the project has always been the biggest issue, and now the PR war is beginning to heat up between those on either side of the tolling debate. That includes TV campaigns -- just a month removed from the skull-smashing Moroun spots back in my native Michigan, now I get stuck with more bridge ads here in Ohio. In favor of an expedited schedule (which would almost certainly involve a tolled bridge) is a consortium made up of a laundry list of Cincinnati-area companies and organizations. Ohio governor John Kasich and Kentucky governor Steve Beshear are also in favor of tolls. Opposed to tolling is a tea party group, as well as a local lawyer / radio host. The Kentucky legislature isn't keen on the idea either.

I saw one old thread on this, but nothing posted recently. This project is probably worth a thread for discussion, although sadly I imagine it's going to be little more than real-world political bickering for the next couple years.

FHWA project website: http://www.brentspencebridgecorridor.com/

Hot Rod Hootenanny:

--- Quote from: The Great Zo on November 28, 2012, 06:07:28 AM ---The Brent Spence Bridge, which carries I-71 and I-75 over the Ohio River between Cincinnati OH and Covington KY, has long since been declared functionally obsolete. I found this Cincinnati Enquirer Special Report, which I found relevant and insightful, and only after reading half of it did I realize it was published in September 2003! Yes, this is an issue that has been out there for a long time. Plans to develop its replacement/twinning are underway, but with no construction imminently scheduled.

In August, a Finding of No Significant Impact was issued, meaning that an EIS will not be necessary. One thing I find interesting, from a roadgeek-perspective, is that (unless I'm reading the recommended alternative maps wrong) the I-71/I-75 concurrency would no longer exist at all in Ohio. I-71 would cross the river using the Brent Spence Bridge, while I-75 traffic would use the new span.

Funding the project has always been the biggest issue, and now the PR war is beginning to heat up between those on either side of the tolling debate. That includes TV campaigns -- just a month removed from the skull-smashing Moroun spots back in my native Michigan, now I get stuck with more bridge ads here in Ohio. In favor of an expedited schedule (which would almost certainly involve a tolled bridge) is a consortium made up of a laundry list of Cincinnati-area companies and organizations. Ohio governor John Kasich and Kentucky governor Steve Beshear are also in favor of tolls. Opposed to tolling is a tea party group, as well as a local lawyer / radio host. The Kentucky legislature isn't keen on the idea either.

--- End quote ---

Would the radio host/lawyer type be Bill Cunningham?

DevalDragon:
I love the idea of tolls. With congestion being the biggest problem, nothing alleviates congestion more than a tollbooth! :pan:

seicer:
Proposed signage:

andy3175:

--- Quote from: Sherman Cahal on October 29, 2014, 04:18:02 PM ---Proposed signage:

--- End quote ---

Wow, those are all going to be Exit 1B? That's the sort of thing I've seen with Caltrans, but didn't expect to see it pop up here (isn't there an "alphabet soup" of suffixed exit numbers here?).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version