News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

__________ is/are overrated.

Started by kphoger, April 28, 2022, 10:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plain

Newark born, Richmond bred

kphoger

Quote from: plain on June 08, 2022, 01:34:48 PM

Quote from: kphoger on June 08, 2022, 11:23:30 AM
Water is a scam.

Especially most of these bottled waters

My city just issued a boil water advisory yesterday, and I realized the only water I have in the house is in these forms:
1.  La Croix mineral water in cans,
2.  A five-gallon jug of water from the hose that's been on the front porch for months.

So I'm actually starting to think I should buy some bottled water, just in case.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Water is a scam.

Aside from boil notices I tend to agree domestically.  Most domestic tap water "to me"  tasted better than the bottled water brands. 

plain

Quote from: kphoger on June 08, 2022, 02:04:18 PM

Water is a scam.

My city just issued a boil water advisory yesterday, and I realized the only water I have in the house is in these forms:
1.  La Croix mineral water in cans,
2.  A five-gallon jug of water from the hose that's been on the front porch for months.

So I'm actually starting to think I should buy some bottled water, just in case.

Oh yes, definitely buy a case or jugs of water in that case.

My thing was all of these brands of water you see in the stores (Dasani, Aquafina, Evian, etc.) aren't worth it.

Just a case or jug of whatever generic water from your local grocery is all you need.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 08, 2022, 02:14:34 PM
Aside from boil notices I tend to agree domestically.  Most domestic tap water "to me"  tasted better than the bottled water brands. 

I love good tap water, there's nothing like it. Though there were a few times where I went to someone's house and theirs wasn't really up to par... but that was rare.
Newark born, Richmond bred

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on June 08, 2022, 02:04:18 PMMy city just issued a boil water advisory yesterday . . .

Personally, I think boil-water advisories are overrated, especially in our case, where it was triggered by a technical issue with filter replacement.  We are under it for 24 hours minimum largely for regulatory compliance--the lab tests to prove bacteria are not present in the water at more than acceptable levels cannot be completed in less than that time.

Quote from: kphoger on June 08, 2022, 02:04:18 PMSo I'm actually starting to think I should buy some bottled water, just in case.

I also think this is overrated.  Stored water needs to be changed out every so often (not least because plastic bottles often leak) and the associated hassle factor is not insignificant.

I once ruined a surplus office table simply by leaving a plastic bottle of distilled water on top of it.  It leaked and the water penetrated the paint coat, corroding the steel underneath.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 08, 2022, 03:19:03 PM
Stored water needs to be changed out every so often (not least because plastic bottles often leak) and the associated hassle factor is not insignificant.

I once ruined a surplus office table simply by leaving a plastic bottle of distilled water on top of it.  It leaked and the water penetrated the paint coat, corroding the steel underneath.

My co-worker just cleaned out the conference room mini-fridge today, and all but one of the bottles of water had leaked.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Big John

Remember that evian is naive spelled backwards.

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 07, 2022, 05:25:08 PM
Doing yard work is overrated.

Not only that, but the idea that you need to have a well-kept, finely manicured yard that requires constant attention, spotless grass with no dead areas or unsightly weeds, and so on.

Some people enjoy yard work. I consider it a chore that must be done occasionally to keep from having to walk through a field of waist-high grass with the accompanying insects and snakes and piles of dog crap that make venturing out into such treacherous.

Quote from: Big John on June 08, 2022, 05:34:40 PM
Remember that evian is naive spelled backwards.

The person who came up with the idea of selling bottled water belongs in the Marketing Hall of Fame, along with the dude who turned a throwaway part of the chicken into some kind of delicacy.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jeffandnicole

Water is a scam.

I could say it is, because it's so damn cheap to produce. But it isn't, because people know what they're getting: Water.  There's really nothing hidden about it.  And that's what the customer wants.  If they want Evian because it's a premium label, whatever. They probably also buy designer other stuff also that they spend more money than necessary on.

This is overrated if someone is trying to go for the Yard-of-the-year award...especially if it doesn't exist.  I like keeping my yard somewhat decorative.  Over the years I've installed some retaining walls, a fountain, several areas of mulch, and overall keep it looking nice.  But I don't water the yard - if there's a dry spell, the yard turns brown, and goes dormant.  Means less grass to mow.   No reason to try to keep it green for the sake of keeping it green.

For me, it's not overrated because it gives me a bit of joy and relaxation to look it; much like something else in the house people may look at with satisfaction and pride.

I also have township property behind my house that I maintain on my own.  Keeps the weeds back from the fence and gives us a nice area to play horseshoes or whatever.  The worst is the poison ivy in the areas I don't maintain - that stuff has been relentless lately.

abefroman329

I finally figured out that I wasn't drinking as much water as I should have bc I'm too lazy to go downstairs to refill my water bottle (and the tap water here isn't fantastic, even filtered).  I haven't really experimented beyond Mountain Valley and Liquid Death, because those are the two I'm aware of that are (a) widely available and (b) packaged in glass or aluminum containers, but I just started monthly delivery of Mountain Valley, and I'm happy with it so far.

Come at me.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 08, 2022, 06:46:40 PM
I finally figured out that I wasn't drinking as much water as I should have bc I'm too lazy to go downstairs to refill my water bottle (and the tap water here isn't fantastic, even filtered).  I haven't really experimented beyond Mountain Valley and Liquid Death, because those are the two I'm aware of that are (a) widely available and (b) packaged in glass or aluminum containers, but I just started monthly delivery of Mountain Valley, and I'm happy with it so far.

Come at me.

If it's encouraging you to drink more water, then it's money well spent.

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 08, 2022, 06:44:24 PM

Water is a scam.

I could say it is, because it's so damn cheap to produce. But it isn't, because people know what they're getting: Water.  There's really nothing hidden about it.  And that's what the customer wants.  If they want Evian because it's a premium label, whatever. They probably also buy designer other stuff also that they spend more money than necessary on.

I was actually being sarcastic when I posted that.  I don't think water is overrated.  Well, I do think that "drinking enough water" might be overrated, but that's not exactly the same thing.  Or rather, I think the amount that people say you "should" drink are usually higher than necessary.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

This one is for the runners on here:

What do you think of pre-run stretching?  Overrated or properly rated?

I've never been one to stretch before exercising unless the weather is cold.  I'm more likely to stretch afterward, though.
Male pronouns, please.

XamotCGC

People who steal Highway 420, Highway 666, and Highway 69 numbered road signs.
Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

kphoger

Quote from: XamotCGC on June 09, 2022, 05:53:52 PM

Does anybody really rate those people highly?
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on June 09, 2022, 06:32:26 PM

Does anybody really rate those people highly?

How many of those highways with those numbers would be highly rated enough to merit a sign being a collective item regardless of the source?

kphoger

US-666 was a moderately enjoyable drive.
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

The thing that I always thought was weird about US 666 was that so many people remember it more for the poor northern New Mexico pavement than the bad ass Coronado Trail segment in Arizona.  How the Coronado Trail as US 191 is still overlooked even today is equally as odd.

What is now CA 245 and was CA 69 is an awesome mountain highway.  I'd speculate it might even have the most curves per mile of any California State Route.

thenetwork

Here in Colorado, near the Mesa/Garfield County line and west along I-70, CDOT recently started a sign replacement project...

CDOT in the last 2-3 weeks replaced green MILE 68.99 in both directions with new MILE 69 signs....

The westbound mile marker is already missing!!!

Ted$8roadFan

Water is a scam.

Or if you live in a state (like Florida) with higher risk of natural disasters that actively encourage folks to have bottled water in the event of a major hurricane.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on June 10, 2022, 06:02:52 AM
Water is a scam.

Or if you live in a state (like Florida) with higher risk of natural disasters that actively encourage folks to have bottled water in the event of a major hurricane.

I'd be more worried about someone living in an area where natural disasters occur with little to no notice:  A tornado or earthquake variable area, for example.

Unless the person lives off the grid, someone in a hurricane prone area will have several day's notice that a storm could be approaching.  And while we think of Florida being hurricane prone, it's such a big state that most areas rarely see a significant hurricane.

While there's plenty of news stories out there warning people to always have significant supplies of emergency food and water on hand, the reality is someone will probably do fine with what's in their pantry for a week if they absolutely had to.  It's those that run out of money, don't have electric, or whose home was destroyed that tend to have the most problems...and the emergency supply of food ain't gonna do them any good when their home is collapsed onto those supplies.

formulanone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 10, 2022, 08:37:34 AM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on June 10, 2022, 06:02:52 AM
Water is a scam.

Aside from boil notices I tend to agree domestically.  Most domestic tap water “to me” tasted better than the bottled water brands.

I'd be more worried about someone living in an area where natural disasters occur with little to no notice:  A tornado or earthquake variable area, for example.

Unless the person lives off the grid, someone in a hurricane prone area will have several day's notice that a storm could be approaching.  And while we think of Florida being hurricane prone, it's such a big state that most areas rarely see a significant hurricane.

While there's plenty of news stories out there warning people to always have significant supplies of emergency food and water on hand, the reality is someone will probably do fine with what's in their pantry for a week if they absolutely had to.  It's those that run out of money, don't have electric, or whose home was destroyed that tend to have the most problems...and the emergency supply of food ain't gonna do them any good when their home is collapsed onto those supplies.

Still, you should prepare because even though there's reports of truly awful damage, statistically most people are only mildly affected by a hurricane or other natural disaster.

If you can afford to be prepared, do it. Better to be away from the uncanny valley of opportunistic panic hoarders and empty shelves. Then in 6-12 months, you rotate your stock, depleting what you can (water, food, batteries, et cetera) and re-stock. Less of it goes stale, leaks, or becomes unusable by that method. Obviously items with short shelf lives don't work in that type of rotation schedule, you prepare for that on an ad hoc basis.

thspfc

Quote from: kphoger on June 09, 2022, 05:35:50 PM
This one is for the runners on here:

What do you think of pre-run stretching?  Overrated or properly rated?

I've never been one to stretch before exercising unless the weather is cold.  I'm more likely to stretch afterward, though.
Properly rated.

thspfc

Quote from: hbelkins on June 08, 2022, 06:13:25 PM

Not only that, but the idea that you need to have a well-kept, finely manicured yard that requires constant attention, spotless grass with no dead areas or unsightly weeds, and so on.
Sadly, the more you actually use your yard, the worse its condition gets. I love the look of perfect grass as much as anyone, but I couldn't bear to mess it up by doing something on it.

In colder climates, if you want a decent-looking yard, you pretty much have to leave it untouched between the first major snowfall and the last.

Scott5114

That's partly why I stopped spraying for weeds–if the perfect uniform appearance is already marred by dandelions or whatever, nobody's going to notice my footprints from when I go over to check on the trees or go get rain out of the barrel or whatever.

I'm sure there's a certain type of person who would seize up knowing that I've started intentionally planting clover in bare patches that I've never been able to get actual grass to grow in. Clover is nice because it grows to a fairly uniform height that is acceptable enough without having to be mowed. Bees like it, too, which some may see as a drawback but I see as a benefit. I like bees.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.