News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Six Lane Expressways (non-freeway)

Started by sprjus4, July 21, 2023, 01:55:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheStranger

The most infamous six-plus lane expressway (by the California definition; the limited-access roads in the country in comparison are called "expressways" with the exception of Skyway) in the Philippines is EDSA, a ring road around Manila, which contains a mix of intersections, flyovers, and tons of business driveways.  While it ostensibly looks like a bypass of the City of Manila, it passes near Makati's CBD and through the heart of Quezon City's Cubao entertainment/hotel district, as well as near the commercial buildup around the SM North EDSA mall and the Ortigas CBD (shared between the three cities of Quezon City/Pasig/Mandaluyong.

The segment through the city of Makati is the closest thing the Philippines has to a jersey freeway: no stoplights or intersections between Tramo Street (Aurora Boulevard) all the way to the Pasig River, but some RIRO junctions, along with multiple interchanges. 

North of the Pasig River, the awkward combination of occasional flyovers, actual intersections, and ad-hoc reconfigurations have made it a regular parking lot - which is what made the completion of Skyway in Manila's city limits in late 2020 so important, finally providing an interregional link from south to north that bypassed Cubao, North EDSA and Ortigas in their entirety.

The next ring road, C-5, also has a similar layout (full freeway or being actively built as one between CAVITEX and Bonifacio Global City, but surface expressway up to Quezon City) and similar traffic problems.
Chris Sampang

RobbieL2415

NY 104 west of the Genesee River comes to mind.
So does the surface portion of the Sunrise Hwy on Long Island.

wanderer2575

Quote from: JREwing78 on July 23, 2023, 08:36:41 PM
So, I'll float out there a series of higher-speed highways in and around metro Detroit, including:

- Grand River Ave between Novi and Telegraph Rd
- Ford Rd between Telegraph Rd and Miller Rd in Dearborn
- Woodward Ave between McNichols Rd in Detroit and Pontiac
- Mound Rd between Davison St in Detroit and Utica Rd in Utica
- M-59 (Hall Rd) between Utica and I-94

All of these are loaded with signals, especially Grand River Avenue and M-59.  You can get a decent run on Woodward, Telegraph, and maybe Mound if traffic isn't backed up and the signals are actually in sync (there frequently are at least a couple out of whack).  That stretch of Grand River particularly is an exercise in patience.

The one in metro Detroit that comes closest to the OP's intent is the 4.2-mile north-south stretch of M-5 in Novi and Commerce Township.  Eight lanes between I-96 and north of Maple, and six lanes for the final .75 mile.  Only three traffic signals (at the "mile" roads) and they actually are synchronized in both directions for the posted 55 mph speed limit.

sprjus4

Not quite the same, I suppose - but West Virginia has rural divided non-freeway highway portions of at least US-19 that have 3 lanes in the same direction to allow for climbing lanes.

jakeroot

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on August 29, 2023, 02:57:24 PM

The first example just looks like a freeway to me.

The second example has tons of signals, which wasn't the point of the thread.

sprjus4

Quote from: jakeroot on September 08, 2023, 01:40:06 AM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on August 29, 2023, 02:57:24 PM

The first example just looks like a freeway to me.
West of the river isn't freeway... although it does appear to be more an urban arterial than an expressway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.